/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/social_contract
debian.org/devel/constitution
debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/
debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/
wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases
debian.org/doc/
mirror.debian.org/status.html
wiki.archlinux.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any reason to have separate /var/ and /tmp/ partitions?

Not really.

>Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.
Did the memes kill ddg?

is i3wm light?

Yes. It's Linux and Linux is lightweight

It's a tiling WM so it's going to be lighter than a full DE.

So it is lighter then lxde?

Yes. A lot lighter since lxde has some GNU elements in it. i3wm is very pure Linux.

How do I make it so that after I connect a bluetooth device, it automatically sets it as the default output device?

Reminder to share useful, non-autistic and informative content, which doesn't scare newcomers away.

>>>/reddit/

ill trust you user, ill try it now

1.mega wasn't us based but they turned everything over in the face of a subpeona.
2.Was that a tracking cookie or a prefs cookie?
3.(((gabe wienberg)))
I ask these questions because Sup Forums is made of shills and idiots.

Debian is a great distro
1. Respects your freedom first and foremost, according to a social contract.
debian.org/social_contract
2. Allows you to knowingly opt-in to non-free software, if you want/need it.
3. Stable by default.
4. Allows you to knowingly opt-in to a rolling release, if you want/need it.
5. Has a constitution to give no single entity too much power over decisions.
debian.org/devel/constitution
6. One of the eldest and most influential distros to this day.
7. Harbors SJWs

It's very good and lightweight. Just takes a bit of getting used to and configuring, especially if you haven't tried tiling WMs before

>a social contract that actually exists
did I switch timelines?

>Sup Forums is made of shills and idiots.

Proof:

see

>7. Harbors SJWs

I cant start it, i'm getting error;
Error: status_command not found or is missing a library dependency

When i logout on arch and try to login with different DE, it never accepts my password, why anons?

Why? I thought neovim was supposed to have a better codebase than oldvim

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

see

>confusing code bloat (meaningful - finding and fixing bugs, improving and adding features is easier) with resource bloat (meaningless - buy a better computer)

A well configured Debian Sid netinstall.

How do I do a well configured Debian Sid install, and how is it better than Arch?

RTFM
Because arch is for losers and debian sid is for handsome men with wives and six figure salaries

And sid is actually more stable than arch because debian adds their own experimental patches to software while arch just uses the latest stable release from upstream

how do i fix i3status anons
when i type i3status -v
error while loading shared libraries: libconfuse.so.1: cannot open shared object file

Where is the fucking manual?
Arch has pages on everything, that's why I find it quite comfy. But I like Debian, so I'd like to know what's out there.

install dwm instead of bloat3

>we need more libs to parse config files because we rice our window managers so often that typing make install and restarting is too much of a pain

i wish we could ban people for shitposting.
Read the installation manual and/or administrators handbook, think about hardening and your preferred package manager frontend (apt/apt-get or aptitude), install debian stable that way minimally through the expert installer and after being done change the sources to sid and dist upgrade.

install guide:
debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/
Administrators handbook:
debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/
Wiki:
wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases
Documentation:
debian.org/doc/

>using rm
>momentarily forget that bash shell doesn't parse spaces
All those files gone...like tears in rain

This
Well that is unfortunate, what did you lose?

What's your fallback distro /fglt/?

Time to die user

why are debian mirrors so unstables?
mirror.debian.org/status.html

what do you mean by fallback distro? i just have debian releases on my machines and a debian nonfree netinstaller on some usb mass storage device.

All the important and fast ones are stable. You can host your own and add it to that list, just don't wonder if nobody uses it.

just install arch

>Try out awesome wm
>Fiddle around with it until I like the look
>Notice my laptop is unusually hot
>Check GPU clock
>980mhz instead of 130 idle
>51°C
>Fan noise
>Goes down to 130again after a little while
>Go to floating layout
>Grab window and resize
>Always clocks up, sometimes going up to performance level 2 and clocking above 1000 mhz

Well, thanks. That's really awesome. Should have just used i3.

So on a fresh install of Kubuntu, after switching from windooze I'm trying to install my company VPN.

They use Pulse Secure and the instructions tell me to create:
~/.pulse_secure/pulse/.pulse_Connections.txt

I know nothing about Linux desu.
Can anyone help me here? Already looked for a folder called pulse_secure in the root folder, with show hidden files on and nothing.

>awesome
Somehow i don't wonder. But really, why use anything other than xmonad, i3 and dwm in regards to tiling WMs?
but you should report this bug so they can improve it.

>51°C
that is nothing, like normal temperature.

>xmonad
How is it different from the other two? Heard of it multiple times but haven't tried it yet.

Yeah, I will file a report once I get back from my trip.
Awesome looked neat with the tagged desktops and all that.

I've used cinnamon before. If I'm not doing anything that's taxing the GPU it ran at maybe 30°C and was quiet as a mouse.

Addendun: Doing the same thing in i3 - floating window and resizing - clocks up to 150, so marginally more instead of going into overdrive.

What is devuan? Is that a real distro or a distro created by local memesters?

install gentoo

do you like haskell? Because it is written and configured in haskell.
dwm is in C and imo a bit easier to learn/get used to and configure.
i3 is a combination of a few programs which is why some people consider it a DE. It is configured in plain text and also written in C. Imo i3s configuration is somehow harder to get into and understand than dwm.
I really only checked out xmonad for like a few minutes for no reason.

debian without systemd.
wow such an innovative distro!

are you sure this is not just one of the cores instead of the average?

Is it good?

Create it

Do I create the pulse_secure folder in root?

I tried using Touch but it says the path doesn't exist

Well if you like debian and dislike systemd you either install debian without systemd (doable but a bit tricky) or you install devuan and hope for it to work.

It's the graphics clock in the nvidia-settings application.
In any case, instantly going to performance level 2 just when resizing shouldn't be needed.

You
Create
It

If you dont know basic commands, you will not find anything in this thread usefull.

>do you like haskell? Because it is written and configured in haskell.
I am somewhat of a superhuman so I think I can deal with that. But what does it do differently compared to dwm and i3?

I agree but i don't think your WM is at fault here. It could be either your compositor, your drivers or X.

Can I make it rolling like debian?

I really don't. That's why I went with a buntu.

Thanks anyway.

Thanks guys. I'll have some reading to do.

Arch is easy. But it's not got that nice Debian branding everywhere. I like the Debian logo and wallpapers.

It is still similar to dwm but for example you can change the size if your master area in one and preserve it on the other workspace/tag and copy these layouts to others. It's pretty fun. Just check it out. The manual and tutorial explains it better than i could.

mkdir!

Thanks anyway

I don't see why it just werks on i3, though. It's the same setup.

good ol debian logo at its best.
Yes, but instead of sid it is called ceres and i believe it is a bit less stable.

oh i misread that one post, sorry. Yeah just filing a bug report for the maintainer and moving on seems good.
Did you already check out dwm?

Nope, not yet. Will surely do in the near future, though.

>Fetched 6988 kB in 3min 30s (33.3 kB/s)
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I ping debian mirrors well but it's slow as fuck

Use a different mirror.

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REE is not meant as an expression for random anger; it's a expression for anger when discovering normalfag failure

Please use the meme correctly.

And that's why it's good practice to quote everything, or get into the habit of escaping spaces.

Who /Xubuntu/ here

Since awesome works for many people except you, you should search for the error elsewhere.

>Sup Forums told me to install arch
>install it
>nothing works
t-thanks

>And that's why it's good practice to quote everything, or get into the habit of escaping spaces.

wiki.archlinux.org/

Nice wiki, doesn't change the fact that the distro itself is shit.
If you are new, try Ubuntu.

Yep. People install arch because ricing is fun. And I have nothing against that.

>dat pic

10/10 idea
4/10 shop

Just shows how stupid people are since you can rice every distro, it's not some Arch only feature.

Redpill me on antergos, Sup Forumsentlemen.
I've come from OpenSuse, went to Ubuntu, to crunchbang to debian to arch. All spread over more than a decade now.
I was going to install arch on my second laptop again but man, I don't want the hassle of the installation anymore.
Manjaro holds back packages, so I'd not use that, arch anywhere has been fucking up in the past with X for me or just failed to install a LVM. Granted, it's been a while.

So, I've been thinking about antergos. What's bad about it?

>Manjaro holds back packages, so I'd not use tha
where did you got that meme

I asked this twice before over a month ago but got ignored.

I switched to Linux for full-tiume use about 5 months ago, been learning along the way by both lurking and scouring documentation. Am enjoying it quite a bit, now I am able to do everything much faster than I ever could on windows.

The one thing I have not been able to find a solution to is pic related though. I am on a thinkpad with typical 1366x768 screen, so I have no issues running this on fullscreen when I'm using it by itself in 1024x768 fullscreen. However, when I try to run Jagged Alliance 2 in windowed mode, I get this error.

How can I make a program in WINE run at 16bit color?

Not sure anymore. I've just read a whlie back that their big "security thing" is just holding back package updates for a a few days.

antergos is nothing but an arch installer which rebrands everything that says "arch" to "antergos"

if you really want to fall for the arch meme, install arch

thats a meme made up by some arch dev

I've used arch for 3 years now, installed it on my desktop the manual way, not really looking forward to that again.
The main laptop was setup by evo/lution, which doesn't exist anymore. Architect is dead as well and arch anywhere has fucked up royally in the past.
Which leaves me with the antergos botnet.

Huh. Well, guess I'll have to dig myself about that then.

Well, he "corrected" himself later.

Original claim:
allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjaro-linux-ignoring-security-for-stability/
Update:
allanmcrae.com/2015/02/improvements-on-manjaro-security-updates/

/here/

>How can I make a program in WINE run at 16bit color?
^Google this^

can someone suggest me a good book about bash/shell scripting and random sites/blogs with tutorials that guide me through examples/exercises?

manjaro has brances simliar to debian
stable, testing, unstable
when you use unstable, you are up to date like on vanilla arch

that said, manjaro has other, better memes
pic related

Neat.

Antergos it is, then.

I'm trying to install XFCE4 on arch but half the servers are 404ing packages. Why does this happen?