Hosting

Would it somehow be possible to host a site without a domain?

Other urls found in this thread:

instantdomainsearch.com/
freenom.com/
1.2.3.4/
freedns.afraid.org/
whatismyip.com/
apachefriends.org/index.html
localhost
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hello cat,

Yes.
Meow

Yes. A domain is supposed to make things easier so that you don't have to remember an ip address. Especially ipv6

Why are big corpos allowed to have their own domain name servers while a little man like me can't ?

You can run your own DNS

But you can
instantdomainsearch.com/
freenom.com/

What if my DNS issues an already existing domain name to a different server?

Why would they do that?

That's not the point of the question.

Then you can sue the registrar.

And how would one go on about doing that?
Say I want to setup my computer as the host, and have a friend enter my address into his browser and load my site (specific .html file, with images, css, javascript and shit in the same folder)

What do you mean? If you want a DNS already taken, you can't.

Just like anime waifu

they can't. Set up your own dns inside your home network.

1.2.3.4/ works just as well.

You can also get a free subdomain at
freedns.afraid.org/

Just share your ip address:
whatismyip.com/

Also, you might need to configure your firewall since port 80 might be blocked

Okay, then. Out of your machine, one would reach the domain with the name in query. Out of any other machine, which has more immediate access to a dns broadcast point, they would reach the other.

Time to start your own isp.

Okay, I registered a subdomain.chickenkiller.com (and it has my IP address, too) but when I enter it into my browser nothing loads, now what?
I can't find any directions anywhere. I just want my friend to load my .html file in his browser

Just give him the ip.

>This site can't be reached
>xx.xx.xxx.xxx took too long to respond.

And how would it know which file is the correct one? Does it show him my entire filesystem and he can choose, or what?

Can you access the entire filesystem of Google servers?

>Hint: No.

Are you running LAMP? Or another web server? You cant just put html files on your hdd, you have to have a web server application running.

Check out xampp if you have a windiws pc.

Here ya go:

apachefriends.org/index.html

Download and install that, it should give you instructions on where to put the html files and how to unblock the ports.

Yea I just installed Apache24
, but a different one, sort of

I have my .html in the directory, but localhost still loads the default one, also I don't know where to configure it's address/domain

I thought the default folder is /var/www/ (on linux) and C:/www/ or something (on Windows), but I'm not sure how it is configured / your OS, etc.

Xampp will walk you through everhthing. Alternatively, you can search your pc manually for the default localhost html file and from apache24 and replace it with your desired page. Then you'd also have to make sure you don't have a firewall on you PC blocking port 80.

THEN you'll have to log into your router and make sure port 80 is forwarded to your PC. The way you do this will depend on what router you have.

I might be retarded, but do I enter private or public IP address here? Private, right? And which "Common Service Port" should I select?

HTTP

Private and HTTP

Also you'll need to check your router's firewall.

You also might need to restart after installing before it works.

oh oops wrong thread

>Common Service Port
>Common
>GOPHER

Don't expose your home network to the rest of the Internet like that, you dumb shit.