/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Chocolate Edition

This thread is for you to ask questions that don't deserve their own.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00V9GANE2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A368CNIPNSUWTO
aliexpress.com/item/100-Original-Laptop-charger-19V-6-32A-5-5mm-2-5mm-120W-Newest-AC-Adapter-Power/32426901194.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.27.w6y6gQ&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10091_10090_10088_10089,searchweb201603_1&btsid=c5071b51-7225-4643-9f32-bd087c6eb903
batteryspace.com/li-ion-18500-rechargeable-cell-3-7v-1400mah-5-18wh---ul-listed-un38-3-passed-0-42.aspx
distrowatch.com/
ncix.com/detail/seasonic-m12ii-520-bronze-520w-eps12v-f0-52175.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why is maki so cute?

4 4gb RAM modules are faster than 2 8GB modules of the same type?

Only with quad channel

Some guy in last thread posted a xeon gaming bundle, anybody got any other sub-500 gaming bundles, using intel processors? I don't even need a gpu, just a good intel processor for Dolphin emulation.

Yo someone help me here, around this time of year when the clocks go back my ping goes from around 25-30 on a chicago server, to 60-75 on a chicago server or any near servers, this doesn't change till the clocks go forward again next year

And yes, I've double-checked my wires and set the priority correctly.

My desktop just shut off immediately, without warning, like it would when there's a power outage. I tried turning it back on, but nothing happened.

There is supposed to be a light you can see from the back that shows the PSU is working and getting power, right? I don't currently see that. Did my power supply just die then?

2nd-3rg gen i5 + 8gb of ram and a mobo of course. That's all you need.

check your capacitors, in both the mobo and the PSU. If you don't know how to identify a busted capacitor, type "busted capacitor" in google images.

Nice feet, my girlfriend. Can I respectfully suck them?

Whats the deal with over clocking and why would I want to do it

It's to wear your cpu out faster for a few extra hz

Going by the images, they look fine on the motherboard. No cracks or bursting that I can see, just unblemished little cylinders. Do you have a guide or something you can direct me to for opening a power supply?

Thanks for the assistance by the way.

Anyone know the telnet command to change a thomson routers date and time?

What tweaks can I do to make a 1366*768 TN laptop display more palatable? The laptop in question is an Asus X54H and the black depth, contrast and viewing angles are just so revolting that looking at the display almost makes me want to vomit. It is truly the most miserable, piteous display I have ever had the misfortune of laying eyes upon.

I've already dropped the color temperature in the AMD control panel to 4000K which helped a little bit. Messing with the contrast and saturation values doesn't really do anything.

maki maki gimme that faki

>Messing with the contrast and saturation values doesn't really do anything.
Then nothing really.

How long till windows is banned?

I'm trying to install postgis on a system where I don't have root, when I run ./configure it says it can't find GDALALLRegister, and config.log has pic related. I installed curl from source locally but it still does this. Any reason this would be happening?

Can I type a command on Ubuntu Mate's terminal that will update every program I have at once?

>It's to wear your cpu out faster
>having a shit heatsink
I've been running about a 20% OC on my CPU for three years now.

a strong light should be enough, you don't need to open it. Use your phone's LED flash.

How badly does FDE slow game performance if my CPU support s aes-ni

Dog chewed up laptop charger. No longer works to charge laptop. All Toshiba chargers are $60-$110.

Where the fuck can I get a laptop charger that works for under $30?

Besides literally lugging around an extra monitor there is nothing you can do to magically fix your shit laptop screen.

look in aliexpress. Try to get an original, universal chargers will work but current could be unstable and ruin your laptop

amazon.com/gp/product/B00V9GANE2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A368CNIPNSUWTO

This is the cheapest I've found.

aliexpress.com/item/100-Original-Laptop-charger-19V-6-32A-5-5mm-2-5mm-120W-Newest-AC-Adapter-Power/32426901194.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.27.w6y6gQ&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10091_10090_10088_10089,searchweb201603_1&btsid=c5071b51-7225-4643-9f32-bd087c6eb903

That's the cheapest on Aliexpress.

Difference being $10 (w/o shipping) and an extra ~15 day wait. Would it be worth trying the cheap one?

I'd go for the one in amazon

If you dont respond this question your mom will die in her sleep tonight

Well, the few I can see look fine. I don't see any bulging and the tops look fine/smooth, besides the cross shape that I'm fairly certain is normal.

If it's of any importance, I noticed that when attempting to power on the computer, the fans I have at the top of the back and front of the case twitch a bit, starting to spin up before stopping almost instantly. However, that twitching only occurs for one single press of the power button. It takes unplugging/plugging the power cord and switching on/off the PSU for it to happen again (and only once).

What are some good external HDDs? my budget is $64

Looking into a 144hz monitor. Freesync would be nice but I don't care, 24 inch 1080p can anyone recommend one for around 200

Are Xeon E5 Processors a meme? I was looking at gaming performance and they seem to do very well for the price. I just ordered one so it's too late but it seems like a good idea. They have comparable performance to an i7 and it was 50 facking dollarydoos

Do you have brain damage?

why is my ping bad during the time the clocks go back till they go forward again

My internet over usb used to just work on my BBB but now everytime I boot I have to manually add

route add default gw 192.168.7.1
echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" >> /etc/resolv.conf

can someone help find out why the internet over usb won't work everytime? it used to just werk in windows 8 but not windows 10.

Beaglebone Black.

That picture is impractical. If you try to do anything with her, she'll get the mother of all UTIs tomorrow.

I ordered a e5-2660 by the way, paired with a Intel DX79TO Intel X79 motherboard

Add it to a script and make your init system run it on startup.

You could go deeper into why it's happening, but it really won't be worth it to do 2 lines of code.

I've been thinking about about buying an i5-6600k + Asus Z170 motherboard to replace my old fx 8320e + asus motherboard. I know I'll have to buy ddr4 ram.

Is it worth it?

no, wait for zen

How long until zen comes out?

You're supposed to suck the chocolate off of her feet you dork.

Is an i5-6402p a decent processor?
I'm an entire novice looking at buying a prefab (pls don't crucify me with a GTX 1060 it's a better value than building a PC with the weak Canadian dollar) and the oddball processor is the only thing I'm wary of.
Otherwise the computer is solid

I know jack shit about electronics and want to replace the battery cells in my laptop battery
How do I do this

about 3 months

PSU is dead, sorry dude. Had the exact same problem last year. Might wanna check if the motherboard still works too.

Yea that's a pretty good CPU.

If i have a 21.5 inch monitor, what size portrait monitor Would i need for it to match in height and be flush top and bottom?

I essentially are looking for a half width monitor to sit next to my existing one

is 4 GB of ram enough for 2d game programming

They're usually just 18500 cells. I don't know about the controller through. It'd involve getting the right replacements opening the pack (they're usually molded shut) removing the old batteries and soldering on the new ones (welding would be better and safer).

How forceful should I buy trying to yank out my motherboard from my case?

Yes.

>PSU is dead, sorry dude
It's alright. I cut corners and went for a cheap one to stay within the budget I had, I'm not that surprised even though it's only been around a year and a half.
>Might wanna check if the motherboard still works too.
Can this be done before I order and receive a new PSU (and without needing to buy other tools)?

Minimal force, you've probably missed a screw somewhere.

>recently had internet problems after tech visit to install new router
>opened cable outlet and found two wires
>unplugged one
>internet works

What did I unplug?

pic related, except there was TWO coming in on the left, the right stuck out the outlet to the router

Is there a decent place to buy spare parts for a CRT monitor?

I got pic related new in the box for $40 but it died about a month after I purchased it.

It powers on now but when it died the video flickered for about 5 seconds and now it just displays a black screen. I think the flyback transformer is dead. It would always crackle a little bit (very softly) when I powered it on.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

heres a better pic
there were two on top, I simply unplugged it and internet was fine

This is high school level math man.
Assuming we're talking 16:9, you want a 12.04" monitor.

Are any of the dell XPS laptops any good? i need a portable computer for graphic design/ 3d modeling, or are there any other alternatives? I don't like apple so that's out.

So what, like this?
batteryspace.com/li-ion-18500-rechargeable-cell-3-7v-1400mah-5-18wh---ul-listed-un38-3-passed-0-42.aspx

I need to jam a handful of these in the case and solder them back up?

I had the same problem, did you do anything that would have put the computer to sleep?

I had a remote for my PC that put it to sleep, but the computer (WIN 7) was set to never seep. It was absolutely unresponsive wouldn't even think about posting, even tried forcing it on bridging two connections, it'd be like that for days then come good. The only thing to get the computer running again was using the old PSU.

I never found a fix for it, I just removed the clicker for the button that put it to sleep. Your PSU could also just be dead.

I meant to say "18650".
And yes that would be the process, but I don't know about the battery controller, if they would charge correctly and not explode.

>I had the same problem, did you do anything that would have put the computer to sleep?
Not that I'm aware of, no.

Would the laptop battery not already have a working controller? Does it get trashed when exposed to sunlight or something.

>Album art
Everything is this damn picture, I've tried deleting all the album art metadata from everything, removed any "folder.jpg" files, created my own "folder.jpg" to replace it. But nothing.

I created a @tfwno.gf email a few days ago. Why does my log in work for cock.li but not mail.cock.li?

It just might not work correctly with any 18650 batteries. But I'm not an expert, ask in the /omh/ threads on /diy/

Add album art for everything.

Doesn't fix the problem, it's what it defaults to when it doesn't have an album tag. I could give everything a random album tag to save a little space.

Yeah alright.
Thanks user.

Should I ahoy m80s Windows or just learn to Linux

I'm planning on getting linux but which one? Debian? Ubuntu? I've only ever used windows.

Are there any build guides for low wattage use PCs? I need something for light gaming primarily.

Can't go wrong with either of them, I'd go Debian it's let presumptive of you being retarded.

I'm running ping 8.8.8.8 on my linux VM continuously just fine until I connect to the FTP server using my host machine. It stops the ping and i lose internet connection. What could be the cause?
Host is windows7, Guest OS is Centos, FTP server is vsftpd, Guest is NAT btw
even telnet on port 21 of the VM kills the VM's network
what do?

distrowatch.com/
If you can use google, you can use any Distro

You have two options. Ease into it like a gimp suit with Ubuntu, or dive out of a helicopter into a lake in the middle of a forest full of wolves that have your scent and compile Gentoo live on stage.

Debian it is then

Yeah, I wouldn't touch Gentoo with a 40-foot pole because I don't know the first thing about compiling software.

Will you suck my dick maki you hot slut?

Beginner here. How do I get the script to run at start up?

Why does my mac mini run netflix on chrome perfectly fine in HD but cant handle lowest setting on the sling tv app which is mandatory to watch sling tv

hardware acceleration maybe

All you have to do is figure out which init system you're using. It's probably either openrc or systemd. Then you have to look up "how to make bash script run on startup" on google or your favorite indexing site and follow the instructions from there.

So I'm looking to build a rig pretty soon and I was planning on using an M.2 SSD as the OS drive and two HDD's in RAID1 for pretty secure storage. Thing is I was doing some research on the mobo I had picked and apparently ASUS mobo's have some sort of glitchs that when you enable the RAID for the HDD's the SSD disappears.

Should I scrap the RAID or should I scrap the mobo?

I suppose the RAID is really just me being paranoid. I could potentially get a NAS to back up to.

I'm about to flash a Cyanogenmod nightly rom onto my LG G3 since the last stable for the device was over a year ago. Are there any additional things I should flash alongside the rom?

Playstore

Why don't speakers that have bass knobs also have treble knobs? I want more treble.

What would someone be using in a build that they would need more than 500 watts for? Seems excessive desu

Is it possible to Firefox (likely due to some html5 video) to freeze the entire operating system (Windows 7 in my case)? Or can it only be a hardware issue (bad GPU driver or faulty memory) if Firefox somehow freezes the computer and makes your mouse and keyboard unusable?

2 1080s.

More than one GPU. Christmas lights.

You have to edit the Metadata

Sounds like a video card or driver problem

An AMD CPU and enough fans to perform VTOL maneuvers for cooling it.

ncix.com/detail/seasonic-m12ii-520-bronze-520w-eps12v-f0-52175.htm

This look like it's good?

I'm a retard and managed to do this while trying to fix a feedback problem on my laptop and now no sounds work. What do

Right click, show disabled devices.

If that doesn't work open the device manager. Something is either disabled or needs drivers.

Whenever I move my Thinkpad X200t off the surface of my desk the fan stops spinning and starts revving up like it's trying to go but can't.

Is it just out of alignment or something?

Is there a way to fix it without opening the thing up?