Help! This thing came off my graphics card but it still seems to be working, how fugged am I?

Help! This thing came off my graphics card but it still seems to be working, how fugged am I?

This is where I think it came from

you'll be okay if you eat it and saw off the extra gold strips at the bottom of the card so it fits in the smaller PCI slot and draws less power

Its dead

>how fugged am I?
Very. RMA your card while you can, if you can.

U fine my nig its just a small piece of some useless shit

>still working

Sell it on craigslist ASAP

Stop using it and find somebody who can solder SMT components. You can find high schoolers capable of this if you live in a hick enough area. Give him the card and loose cap and ask him for a quote.

this lel

Snubber cap. It's an electrolytic cap, but by the looks of it looks like the electrolyte is bursting out. Probably would want to get that replaced with equivalently heat rated cap or you're fucked.

It happens all the time. Just put it back with enough thermal paste and you will be fine.

>still seems to be working
you're probably fine dude

This

You already failed when you bought EVGA

id put that back on for 20 dollars tax free

So you're saying thermal paste is like healing salve for computers, eh? Intriguing...

i lol'd. Your suggestion is so outlandishly retarded that I know the OP will actually do it.

What does the detached component even do?

Its a capacitor.
I couldnt tell you its exact function in this case, but its surprising the card still works.
If the card is new, rma it asap.
If it isnt, the cap will need to be soldered back on. its insanely suspicious it came off in the first place.

Why use thermal paste when toothpaste works just as well?
> 2016
> Spending money on the Arctic Jew

>spending money on toothpaste when you can grow potatoes and use potato mash which works just as well.

It stores DC charge and let's any AC charge pass through it to ground, so if there is any voltage ripple on the line it is attached to it will get smoothed.

You could think of it as a small reservoir that fills up and lets a nice steady stream pass through the outlet.

The reason it keeps working is because capacitors aren't in line with the circuit. They connect between the circuit and ground but don't allow DC to flow through that path but instead store the charge, so they act like a little battery.

The second reason the card is still working is because there are probably other capacitors on the circuit that are keeping the voltage stable enough. However, now that some smoothing has been lost it is possible that the card will become less stable in some circumstances.

In any event, seeing something has literally fallen off the card it should be RMAed.

And if you can't RMA it or solder that one back on, just buy another capacitor that has the same Farad rating and at least the same voltage rating and solder it on instead.

top kek

>Spending money on growing potatoes when you can use your own semen for free and it works.

ignore the trolls OP

put some super glue on the board and glue it back on

It's a conditioner, fucking thing will still work just fine if your PSU is good.

Probably a good idea to replace the card because one part falling off like that may indicate other production quality issues but if that is the only problem then it isn't about to burst into flames or fry the rest of your system.

>wasting energy on jacking off when you can use your own excrement and it works just as well.