/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/Audioengine-D1-24-Bit-Computer-Interface/dp/B006IPH5H2
amazon.ca/SMSL-Decoder-Headphone-Amplifier-Computer/dp/B01FRVTE2G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478354046&sr=1-1&keywords=smsl m3
m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16826106247
jdslabs.com/
wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes
eu.akg.com/product-support-detail_eu/k404blk.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reposting again from previous thread.

Budget
£60
>Location
UK
>Source
computer
>Preferred type of headphone
iem
>Open or closed
N/A
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Preferred tonal balance
neutural,
>Past headphones
sennheiser momentum on ear, senfer UE, dzat df10, various gaymur headsets.

My senfer UE died in one ear, and I can't use them anymore, so I want a pair of iems to replace them, that will (hopefully) last a long time.

I have no idea what the hell I'm doing but how is this: amazon.ca/Audioengine-D1-24-Bit-Computer-Interface/dp/B006IPH5H2

1. As an amplifier
2. As a way of getting audio from an optical cable to headphones

It works.

Hey guys what are your recommendations for wireless earbuds?

The HD600 went from £220 to £370, whyyy

people like them more than 650s so they sell for more
got mine for $270 here

amazon.ca/SMSL-Decoder-Headphone-Amplifier-Computer/dp/B01FRVTE2G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478354046&sr=1-1&keywords=smsl m3

just get this

It'll do what you want, but you can get identical/better sounding options for about a third of the price.

As another user suggested, the SMSL M3 is a good alternative, along with most of SMSL's cheaper DAC Amp Combos, and some Fiio combos.

Is the hd800 a good buy if I don't have balanced outs?

they're oddly actually extremely dependent on your amplifier.
buy them if you have the ability to return them

How much is it? Save up for Focal Elear.

Who among you thinks to have reached the audio Nirvana? By audio Nirvana I mean a rally falt and neutral equalization, where every instrument can be heard perfectly without bleeding into other instruments.

The longer I listen to music through my equalized K702, the more I believe into the magic of equalization.

fell asleep from last thread

im a sucker for looks and since im retarded i just want these. 250 or 600 help me pls

Guys, I have a Schiit Valhalla 2 amp, and Micca mb42x speakers.

When I connect them with a RCA to speaker wire the Speakers are VERY quiet at full volume.

Did I fucked up, am I missing something that these speakers don't perform with this amp?

HD6XX is gonna be the new meme headphone.

Calling it.

Considering the price it's sold, it's probably going to snap in like 4 days.

The snap meme isn't real.

Sennheiser just likes to overprice their shit.

>EQ
Almost as bad as the tube amp shills.

> I never tried eq in my life and i want to believe that my headphone is the best in the world

>spends $200 on shiddy akgs and eqs them

why didn't you buy a $5 headphone if you're gonna eq?

You'd hate to be a musician, tube amps are king for guitars.

I avoid altering the music as much as I can.

Comfort, physical features and form factor must be considered when considering a headphone.

son, your headphone alters the music

Altering the music isn't the purpose of EQ, dude. The purpose of EQ, at least to me, is to compensate the headphone's flaws in order to achieve better sound balance.

Yes I don't need to make matters worse with software.
>Altering the music isn't the purpose of EQ, dude.
Pretty sure that's actually the exact purpose of EQ software.

>Yes I don't need to make matters worse with software.
You're altering the signal to compensate for the headphone's frequency response.

You understand that is subjective at best right?

Where's the anime?

Proper EQ is amazing. Can't live without it. Same with monitor calibration when doing photo work.

But that's different. In production anything goes that sounds good. In reproduction, avoiding all coloration is the only way to hear that original sound which was recorded such as the soft clipping of a triode guitar amplifier.

So why don't you EQ? That's the point of it.

I hate my life and think about suicide daily. What are the best headphones for me?

Focal Utopia Tournaire

>headphones

The principle and effect is exactly the same and with headphones EQ is more effective and easier because...

1) They are almost always minimum phase meaning the filter you create in EQ yields a corresponding effect in the magnitude response. You can fix almost all problems in the response with PEQ.
2) You don't have to worry about room response or off axis performance. You have a one simple response to correct.

Do you put a mic between your ears and headphones to calculate the response?

Why would you do that though?

To calculate the error and apply the correct EQ to get a flat response? What kind of error do you mean?

Why does she wear the mask?

But there are plenty of measurements online, no need to to make your own measurements.
I didn't mean any kind of error by the way, not sure what you are talking about...

so cyber banditz cannot identify her

>near 100 dB difference
So why don't I EQ? Because I'm not a fucking idiot.

Probably too much mid-bass, that shit can mask everything...

Are these great for the price just ordered my first t400 and wanna pair them with something m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16826106247 will be used mostly for nice non nig music and Chinese cartoons.

My situation:

>always loved ear buds
>pic related was always so comfy
>got in-ear headphones once, and was immediately uncomfortable
>never bothered with them again
>I either have clogged ears, or my hearing is damaged because I can hardly hear people
>friends suggest in-ear headphones because it's noise cancelling and I don't have to crank my volume up

>for my job / for gaming on my Xbox One, I need to have headphones with a mic component
>what's suitable for me if I want my """first""" comfy in-ear headphones with a good audible mic
preferably through amazon so I can do exchanges if necessary

my new headphones have one side quieter than the other, but I don't know if I can return them because I broke the containing box. What do?

what headphone? if its anything like solo 2 beats you need to recable the inner cable because it folds making the cable worse overtime

Etymotic HF5

how important is a detachable cord? will a non detachable cord last for 3+ years?
are you supposed to clean it every week?
how are you supposed to store headphones after use?

So I'm probably going to pick up a HD6XX on Tuesday simply because I've never owned high-end Senns. Only problem is that from what I gather, my little Fiio E10K just isn't going to cut it, so I need to grab a new DAC/AMP as well.

Does anybody have recommendations for a reasonably low cost setup that pairs well both with AKG K7XX's as well as HD6XX (relabled HD650s)? I was looking at The Element by JDS labs which definitely has the power required, but I've read that HD650s don't play nicely with neutral signatures like that of The Element.

O2+ODAC

how is it better than the smsl m3 or fiio e10k?

No, logarithmic sine sweeps are the way to test the response for headphones. Using a measurement coupler adds another layer of issues to filter out before equalizing.

so what are the current go-to earbuds for 20-ish dollers?

i just went to buy some xiaomi pistons 3 but they're out of stock everywhere

American made. Two years warranty. Powers everything except for AKG K1000 or Hifiman HE6. Online measurements from Innerfidelity and Nwavguy performance is very good compared to expensive DAC/Amps.

For the price of the Element you'd be better off with the Schiit stack Magni/Modi 2 Ubers.

Actually made in America and uses high quality parts. (inb4 that child comes in saying Murata/Matsushita caps are made in China again)

Similar question here. Was thinking of picking up the Element and the ATH-R70x. Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea? All I have at the moment is a pair of sennheiser cx500 IEMs and some shitty razer headset. Thought it was time to seriously up my audio game.

>O2 ODAC
>American made
made.
No
Go with a Schitt stack or Jotunheim.

>>American made
jdslabs.com/
Scroll in the middle.

>jdslabs.com/
They machine the chassis. I'm told they use quality caps now but that wasn't the case when they started and I have no idea where their pcb manufacturer is located.

>my little Fiio E10K just isn't going to cut it
lol idiot

Is there a reason why my tiny mp3 4gb player (those sony ones that were the size of a finger) has better sound overall than my onboard realtek HD 889?

the PC just hurts my ears, while the mp3 player is quiet and has more wide sounds, it sounds just good

I am doing something wrong on the computer? i have no eqs or anything at all

Is it because the drivers? i really wanna find a solution to this, i am sure it can sound good, i need a light

Mind elaborating? Nothing I've read suggests that the E10K is a good match for HD650s.

Windows stock audio resampling. Stop using the default DirectSound and use exclusive audio mode. wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

Your mp3 player doesn't use Windows resampling. It makes exclusive audio on its own.

do the calculations yourself. an iphone can bring the hd650 to listening volumes, it just won't have the headroom to absolutely blast them.

>K702
>not a 20dB bass boost

>doesn't know how to use a better resampler so he can avoid poor upsampling by windows but still not have to deal with exclusive stream bullshit

What's the alternative? What's better than DirectSound?

Less electrical noise. A battery is infinity quieter than a computer power supply. Plus the parts or implementation could be better.

I got an old receiver that's better than most modern compact dacs. It just trades size and power consumption. Plus has an old school full size discrete digital attenuator. That's pretty great.

>"better resampler"

It's about more than volume. Yeah, the iPhone can drive demanding cans to some extent but it's going to sound like shit.

Such as? Spoonfeed me.

>It's about more than volume
no
>but it's going to sound like shit.
no

SoX

Then why is it my K7XX's get full detail at comfortable volumes when hooked up to my E10K but have to be turned up uncomfortably loud to get that same detail when driven by my MBP or iPhone?

>get full detail
what does this even mean?

Only white people are allowed to post here

That's wrong, but I can see why casual and untrained listeners such as yourself make that statement.

At lower volumes your perception of treble and bass is different than at higher volumes.

When you listen to something at a lower volume, for example on an iPhone and compare it to a dedicated audio device such as a FiiO E10K which can output greater volume, you're not doing a fair comparison since you're most likely listening to the FiiO E10K at a higher volume.

I tried Kernel Streaming on XP but the realtek drivers are still required to play, or am i doing something wrong? i am using foobar and windows XP.

When the music is off i cant hear any noise unless i increase the volume to the max.

HD600 or HD650?

>When the music is off i cant hear any noise unless i increase the volume to the max.

You're thinking of noise floor, not distortion.

HD6XX

Are the red shure se535ltd worth their price? definitely wanna go with shure but am unsure about the value of their higher end models

HD650/6XX > HD600

What are the best iems for >$100, in terms of sound and comfort.

HD 600 but if you EQ doesn't matter.

>is it worth it

>what's best for me guys

are custom eartips a worthwhile buy

what's your .asoundrc (or pulseaudio dameon.conf settings)? my audio sounds really bad on a good dac and i don't know why

I never got used to them I prefer foam or rubber. And foam is a lot more hygienic for me anyway since I just throw the tips away.

Some people love them but I think they're a pain in the ass to get and I was left with disappointment when I finally got them.

Because your headphones are shit

i don't think any headphone was designed to sound this shit

I've never been happy with sound quality for my headphones in my life, only contempt.
Been living on cheap shitty headphones until I fell for the m50 meme and I fucking regret it, sounded tinny as fuck at the beginning and after a while I realized how muddy everything sounded as well as no bass and uncomfortable as fuck.
In a few months I realized I didnt actually have audio drivers installer which helped that it wasn't quiet at 80% but it sounds even worse now, everything has that "simulated room" feel to it and it feels really cheap.

Please give me some advice /hpg/ all I want to do is listen to some decent audio.

beyer dt990 pro are really cheap right now

What's the cheapest full-sized headphone that you can think of that is not absolute shit?

Think pajeet tier cheap.

I would value comfort slightly more than the audio quality, but obviously I'm not asking much of either.

Not absolute shit? Superlux HD 668B with velour earpads and padding over the driver to kill the deathly highs

or just Superlux 662 EVO no mods

that said, you can almost always find better second hand stuff for cheaper.

>Budget $250-$300 USD
I need a good external AMP and DAC for DT 990 600 Ohm

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones.

>Budget
$150-$300 AUD

>Location
Australia

>Source
Primarily my PC.

Would like to be able to use them for my phone occasionally

>Type of headphone
Full sized, circumaural.

>Open or closed
I've only used closed, but I'd try open.

>Comfort level
I'm looking for something good for long listening, nice and light, and not pinching me too tight.

>Sound signature
preferably neutral

>Past headphones
ATH M50

Decent headphones, a bit heavy, uncomfortable for long periods.

Best athletic/audiophile/noise canceling headphones? The mee m6 pro looks pretty good for a somewhat decent price.

How bad is this?
eu.akg.com/product-support-detail_eu/k404blk.html

Sennheiser HD 600 if you can find them for cheap,
or if you dont mind a slight V-shape [i mean very slight] look at the HD 650's
theyre being released on massdrop as HD 6XX for 200 USD [~260 AUD]
They'll take a fair while to get to you, but for the price they'll be absolutely worth it.

Though for those you /may/ need an amplifier, depending on what source you have
A laptop or somewhat newer mobile will power them fine.

You may also want to look at Sennheiser HD 558/598
Theyre not quite on the same level as the HD 6?? Series, but theyre very good, and likely won't need an additional amplifier.

Another alternate is the AKG K612/K7XX [if it comes back to massdrop]
Though you still have the issue of sealing on AKGs

Those aren't noise cancelling. Google what noise cancelling is. I don't think you quite understand it.

Though the M6 are good if you don't want Shure IEMs