Google Messenger

>Google Messenger
>Google Hangouts
>Google Allo
>Google Duo

Can someone please explain why Google has 4 apps with heavily intersecting functionality?

Because none of them became popular and Google wants a popular messaging app so that it can more easily get your data and sell it to advertisers.

Messenger is just texting app is it not?
Hangouts failed mms wise but is semi popular for video calls.
Duo failed.
Allo failed.

Google doesn't introduce anything new that isn't found in any other popular apps like kik or whatsapp.

Because Google is the "throw shit at the wall until it sticks" company.

>Because Google is the "throw shit at the wall until it sticks" company.
And then they discontinue even that when they get bored. New shiny-shiny or old too-hard and they're off over the hills.

Hangouts used to merge Hangouts messages and SMS msgs for the same contacts, which was pretty based.

But normies couldn't manage to use it properly so they remove the option to do so.

Now I use 2 apps instead of 1.

I don't care about the others but I use Hangouts to replace a cell phone plan.

And Hangouts does or used to do the work of all 4 of them.

>Hangouts failed mms wise but is semi popular for video calls.
Lmao no it's not

Literally no one uses it

To give the user the illusion of choice?!?
Seriously: no idea. Maybe bad management.

i see youtubers do it a lot.

Pretty much. Same reason why Google+ started absorbing/redoing a whole lot of Google's services.

Bad management, too little too soon and possibly not wanting to seem like the huge monopolizing force that they are. There's no real gain in establishing themselves and dominating the social and messaging scene.

Google thinks it's fun to waste their engineers' time

Because Hangouts was the best app but google literally fucking gimped it.

Wrong. I use it and so do all my friends.

Google only cares about adoption to acquire more revenue through advertisements and data profiling. Hence the Chromebook abortions and Android mobile operating system. Both of these will not survive much longer.

Why doesn't Google import data from Hangouts and Messenger to Allo, and allow web browser access to both Allo and Duo? I would also scrap the Gmail interface in favor for Inbox. Then separate all Play services, such as Music, Movies, Books, etc. and get rid of the entire "Play" abortion. Then, integrate mobile software with the web browser extensions and rename it. Discontinue Google+, discontinue Android pay in favor of Wallet, push out the new Search and d YouTube interface already. Discontinue the YouTube Red gimmick and update the Calendar interface. Also, integrate Shopping with Google Express somehow. And the new Google Photos interface is a step backwards after the recent update. And finally, focus more on Chromebook rather favoring Android. Although both will not be around probably for much longer.

Because they blew it with Hangouts and are scared to try another all in one.

Still waiting on that ara phone

If Allo could do SMS properly (and on both Android and iOS) I'd use it.

They should have just kept developing Hangouts and preinstalled it on their Play-edition/Nexus/Pixel devices without another messaging app.

I still use Hangouts for SMS, but having to switch between conversations is silly.

they cut that project senpai

Didnt they just water it down ?

>Maybe bad management.
not maybe, they are used to absorb sht and there's no communication between departments. Actually their own departments don't properly talk or share procedure, then yuou have to add the fact they absorb whole companies because they want a product they have and the company most of the time remains intact, like a fucking add on that nobody knows shit about except they have a product and they run it and google (alphabet) wanted it. Then factor into that mess the middle management problem. You have shittons of fuckwads working on google that only care about holding the job, they don't understand what's going on down and they can barely follow instructions from upstairs.
if you knew how badly they handle ads, which is their fuel, you wouldn't be as surprised when the idiots can't produce one app to do messaging.

At least Microsoft only has one major messaging software/service anyone knows about. Plus they're actively working to make it less shit, whereas Google will probably produce two more messaging platforms in the next three years.

>>Google Messenger
Nobody uses SMS outside burgerland and third world african hell holes.
>>Google Hangouts
Failed miserably and it is slowly getting deleted
>>Google Allo
Literally a huge Google assistant ad, also Hangouts v2.0
>>Google Duo
It's just a video chat app you tard.

There, you only have two.

Same reason why they'd turn their icons into triangles and then put those triangles into circles

I use Allo with some of my friends.
It is much better than Whats App and I am still hoping it catches on.

t. NEET who reads too much hackernews

It's easy to explain tho, triangle is icon for "play", all of the google apps end with play have triangles in them.

Add those functionalities together in a single app and put it on every Android phone. Madness, I know

No one uses SMS in the UK?

>5.0
Redesign
>6.0
Everything is part of Play Store now
>7.0
Increased visibility in case you have a riced to shit wallpaper, and general accessibility.

this. it's actually well done and the incognito mode might be a gateway for normies to finally adopt encrypted messaging.

>I use it so it must be popular

ok

it's still new and in the same pool as whatsapp, fb messenger and imessage. i guess in about 2 years, when it is preinstalled on all android devices, it will finally make impact.

>8.0
Basically the same as 7.0, but the actual icons are so small you have to squint to figure out what they're supposed to resemble.

>tfw google reader
not even ridiculous popularity can save us.

this is the shit i normally associate with apple fanboys. have some self-respect.

>its still new
nigga it exists since 2010
face it, its ded

My dad's company moved to Google services and uses hangouts.

Hangouts is my chosen IM ecosystem, all the people I want to talk to are on it, hopefully they'll just leave it alone.

They changed hangouts for bussiness purposes retards

ITT NEETs be the armchair CEO of a multi billion dollar company.

the circles are just fucking retarded.
it's too much like iOS, too samey and boring.
>inb4 muh consistency
>going directly in the face of your own marketing