What is the best router brand?

What is the best router brand?

Seems like most of them don't perform up to specs and have shitty software that isn't updated as soon as the next model hits, and contain cloud/botnet bullshit. I'd prefer one that supports an open source firmware but those usually don't perform as well or are missing features on a lot the newer routers, if they even run on them at all.

Also I live in an apartment building and there are more than 50 wireless networks in range. The 5 GHz band is still somewhat useable, but I need a router that is good with a lot of interference.

Other urls found in this thread:

hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-monster-ac5300-wireless-routers-face-asus-rt-ac5300-vs-netgear-nighthawk-x8/performance-conclusion-12
monoprice.com/product?p_id=11538
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-monster-ac5300-wireless-routers-face-asus-rt-ac5300-vs-netgear-nighthawk-x8/performance-conclusion-12

Mikrotik

Now this looks interesting.
Thanks!

I use this guy for my home network

TRENDnet

Too bad that one doesn't do 5 GHz so I'll have to settle for a model with less ethernet ports.

Why aren't there any routers with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz detachable antennas?

Probably FCC regs.

>not building your own firmware

These belong in the Trash.

I've been using Airports (full size, not the little wall wart ones) since 2004 and they've always been rock solid for me. The last few models run NetBSD and have never had any firmware vulnerability scares or anything like that.

They don't run Plex/Transmission/whathaveyou, but that's not really a con for me because I have a dedicated Xeon FreeBSD box for those purposes that will make even the most powerful routers look like a joke – it can encode + stream 1080p video to 4 people at once without batting an eye, and it's loaded to the gills with HDs for torrents.

The way I look at it, a router should just be a router. Plug it in, it works, and tell it to update its firmware a couple times a year. Keep all the fancy shit in a separate, dedicated machine because on a router it's nothing be a liability.

Google.

It might be a great router but something feels very wrong about putting Google in charge of my home network

Old PC with dual NIC Card and pFsense installed + a bunch of old routers as access points. Performs better than my friends new $300+ routers and shit.

This. Anyone who uses consumer grade routers don't belong on Sup Forums.

And you think pfSense on an old shitbox is enterprise grade?

Did I say that faggot? I'm saying that consumer grade routers are a meme. Enjoy your shitty netgear nighthawk.

>Did I say that faggot?
You implied it, you dense cumsock.
>Enjoy your shitty netgear nighthawk.
Try again, poorbitch :^)

I use this monoprice branded router
monoprice.com/product?p_id=11538

same as a Netis WF2780

Its does 5GHz just fine, seems to not have any issues with the four other 5GHz networks in range

>I'm saying that consumer grade routers are a meme

I don't think that means what you think it means

tryhard newfag detected

do you even know what a real router is?
pfSense is a firewall.

No, he doesn't.

Asus.
they run wrt out of the box

ubiquiti edgerouterx and a ac pro access point.

after a firmware upgrade fucked up my asus ac router, i ditched the easy setup consumer path for something a bit different.

got a good wired router, and a separate wireless access point so that one won't take the other out when one inevitibly fucks up. 4 months of uptime, and the router itself never crashing is a hell of a deal... only down side is to do almost anything cli is required, which i have no confidence in using.

I was thinking about getting that router in OP's pic. Currently have a WRT54GL with Shibby Mod firmware. Worth upgrading?

What software do you use to stream videos?

ubiquiti

Plex. It works pretty well and can do stuff like encode any shows or movies in its library for offline watching on my iPad, which is awesome for flights.

So you set up plex on your server, point it in the right direction, and your devices just see the shows/movies/music? Do the devices need any additional software?

Sounds pretty slick!

Juniper

Yep. Just install the Plex client on whatever device you want to watch stuff on. I use their Apple TV 4 client which works nicely, but it's available for Windows, Android, Roku and most major smart TV platforms too.

If you don't do any DNS on your network, it'll do UPnP and offer HTTPS for connections over the internet. It's pretty slick.

check out small net builder for benchmarks

One (1) Ethernet port.

Awesome! Thank you for the info. I'm dreaming about a setuo like yours, but it'll have to wait until I move. Got everything written up now, so it will be a quick setup when i get the space and the hardware. So excitin'!