Well Sup Forums?

You should be able to solve this.

Firefox

/fuck google

gimp and krita

gcc

blender

Gimp is not better than Photoshop or Lightroom...

-GNU/Linux in general over homOSeX and Winblows.

If you're comparing them to MS paint, sure.

minikanren over whatever computational logic windows has (kek)

blender and krita

VLC is also pretty good. Even if the video quality isn't perfect when you nitpick, it always works.

>programming language
>program

Blender is literally not better than maya or 3ds max

>blender
>krita

confirmed for never having used either

I mean GIMP is better if you account for
>financial costs of getting product legally
>cost in time and effort to satisfy the constant DRM

Its a huge cost for a marginal improvement in functionality.

brl-cad

Nestopia

Far better than Nintendo's NES emulator.

"professional software"

Apache OpenOffice

ITT: comparing free (also as in freedom) software to paid software and general angry rambling

No shit, sherlock

>vlc in almost-2017
for what purpose?

10 seconds on the clock...
>MariaSQL> MySQL
>llvm | gcc > msvc | icc
>freebsd > solaris
>freebsd > xnu/darwin
>vim | emacs > notepad
>vlc > quicktime
>vlc > wmp
>firefox > ie | 3edgy4u
>chromium > ie | 3edgy4u
>firefox > safari
>chromium > safari
>rust > swift
>SQL > PLSQL
>OpenCL > CUDA
>FreeSync > GSync
Fite me faggots

gnu linux is not better either!
chromium is too open source
even iWork is better

swift and safari are open source you nigger

icc > gcc
>>freebsd > xnu/darwin
>>vlc > quicktime
>>rust > swift
>>FreeSync > GSync
>>OpenCL > CUDA
subjective, or straight up opposite
>>vim | emacs > notepad
but Sublime Text > vim/emacs :^))

Better for what? Better for who?

When you're talking about open source software the term professional is meaningless. Nestopia is present in RetroArch, which is in the Google Play store for Android.

PostgreSQL / MariaDB vs Microsoft SQL Server

Is OpenCL really better then CUDA? I"m still early in my project, should I switch before it's too late?

Red hat > Windows server :^)

If by better you mean: Less supported, then yes

well i'm considering google chrome is pretty fucking trash at the moment

CUDA is fully proprietary and just as difficult to work in as writing good ol fashion OpenCL C code. A few benchmarks show CUDA generated code being slower then OpenCL. But with OpenCL you can target non-GPU's like AMD64, ARM, POWER8, or even AMD GPU's without any code changes. So it is the better pick.

also xnu/darwin both are

they are better than their closed source counterparts inherently based on the fact that they are Free Software.
Therefore:
All of them.

On a serious note, vim and emacs. Of course those don't even have true closed source counterparts.
All programming languages.
Linux and BSD kernels.
So much other stuff. Just not desktop software.

>free software is inherently better

This is what freeturds like to think.

That piece of trash still exists?

Any programming language
Vlc
Blender
Firefox
gnu/Linux
Android
Emacs
Textual for Mac (an OK irc client)
Gparted
Deluge/qbittorrent

Pinta and MS Paint

>firefox

The pic is stupid. How can software that limits how you can use it ever be better than software which doesn't?

fuck puck

Cause not everyone is a faggot that does nothing more constructive than write bash scripts in his admin job

There's no good video editing software that's open sores. No good DAW, and don't even get me started on Desktop Publishing Software like InDesign and Illustrator. Inb4 "LOL USE LATEX", which nobody ever does outside of their thesis paper for their diploma.

>>SQL > PLSQL
what the fuck am I reading?

do you even know what those two are?

Blender is a nightmare to work with

sure

Good Enough+Gratis+Libre > AWESOMENESS+Proprietary

>firefox/chromium
theres no other relevant propietary browser

>vlc/mpv
closed source alternatives are inferior in every way

>obs
no closed source alternative thats as easy to use and just works

>freesync
doesnt require you to have an additional processor in your monitor

>gnome/kde
way more customizaion than propietary DEs and also less resource usage

>linux kernel
better compatibality with more hardware and more structured system

>android
can do things propietary alternatives cant

>transmission/qbittorrent
propietary alternatives mine bitcoins

>gparted
no propietary alternative allows live boot or have as much features

>vim/emacs
no closed source software has the featureset

thats 10 do i win a (You)?

btrfs and other select parts of the linux ecosystem, like refind, gparted, ssh, pgp, etc
gimp
thunderbird
sharex
libreoffice
syncthing
quiterss
freefilesync
handbrake/ffmpeg
notepad++
qbittorrent

One word: LLVM

>gimp
AHAHAHAHAHA
>libreoffice
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>notepad++
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Latex

>enjoying paying out of your ass for shitty adobe products, or using ms paint
>enjoying the shitty UI, splash screens, non-portable formats, licensing and prices, and other bullshit you get with ms office
>implying there's any plaintext editor better than notepad++

t b h *tex is a huge fucking mess and it needs to be replaced with something that keeps the philosophy, but isn't such a huge pain in the ass.
source: use it daily

>first two points
so you're saying you prefer open source because you're a poor fag that can't afford better tools?
>no this screwdriver that I made by hand is better than your electric drill
>enjoy paying out of your ass for it
>>implying there's any plaintext editor better than notepad++
Sublime Text m80

I also use it daily
What do you mean by pain in the ass?

>let me go program my paper witha programing language

this is you, you fucking retard

Gparted
Zsh
Chromium
Firefox
mpv
dd
ssh
nfs

This is boring.

mpv is shit

name a better video player then?

>mpv
>used professionally

>Be d/ic/k
>Use SAI
>UX is sublime, I have everything I need one click away
>Use krita
>UX is literal torture, every action, even the simplest and dumbest are hidden away behind pop up menues
Is this kind of bullshit why foss will never superate propietarian software, programmar CAN'T AND WILL NEVER be able to think like normal end users of their crap

No, I just prefer not to pay a ton of money for a shitty product not worth such money, e.g. anything produced by adobe. When the guys at work had a project for me to work on involving adobe pdf stuff, I subtly told them to go fuck myself and my pal ended up getting it, He had never seen such cancerous shit

sublime is as much a fast, lightweight, just-what-you-need plaintext editor as vs code is

*to go fuck themselves

it's late here

You don't implement some complicated algorithm for writing in latex.
You just write what you want it to do, how could it be more straightforward?

>nuuh, your shitty electric drill isn't worth the money
>now let me go back to screwing this IKEA set together with my hand made screwdriver
>it's only going to take me 12 hours more

Tell me a better DTP software than InDesign. I'm waiting.

Professional getting stoned and watching game of thrones.

more like why use gold to build a wall if concrete is better suited for it anyway and is cheaper and more reliable and needs no mainteance and isn't likely to be stolen etc

you don't use gold leaf to wipe your dumb ass either, nor do you pay your entire paycheck for ice cubes for your coke made from arctic water

mpv and mpc have always been better.

more like

>dumb faggots spending money on toilet paper

>this hand picked leaf is totally better, and I didn't need to pay for it

>ignore the rash
this is you

no, that's just you projecting

it's not like i program in notepad, i program in intellij, and yeah eclipse and netbeans are trash in comparison

>written in ANCIENT language that nobody dares to touch
>cryptic error messages
>still have to deal with language & encoding issues IN FOOOKEN 2016
>huge clusterfuck of packages for basic shit like non-awful tables
>dealing with packages is particularly awful on windows due to buggy broken installer/updater
>latex abstracts/deprecates some parts of tex while keeping others, but you never know what's ok to use (Stackoverflow often helps in this)
>archaic inconsistent syntax
>you're expected to read a 494-page book to be able to use tex in the first place
>large amount of boilerplate needed to get reasonable output with default templates
>have to invoke the same command several times to get working TOC in PDF
>TrueType fonts only work with certain implementations
>JPG/PNG images only work with certain implementations
Many of these are due to quirky architecture and/or obsolete design decisions, which is why I think it's time for a replacement.

In fact, I generally avoid writing latex directly. I use Lyx which has its own issues but is been rather pleasant work with.

>written in ANCIENT language that nobody dares to touch
I don't know I kind of like that. Tex was made to be a final perfect product, it's kind of interesting.

>you're expected to read a 494-page book to be able to use tex in the first place
You're exaggerating. A minimal example uses three lines, everything else you can learn as you go.

It's true though that I haven't used it for very complicated stuff, mostly just typesetting (including formulas and diagrams) for thesis and articles and stuff like that, a few times for presentations. Maybe it's more complicated if you get fancy, I guess.

>Tex was made to be a final perfect product
Missed the mark by quite a distance, then.

Anything apache.
Git.

I think Knuth still pays if you can find a bug.
What it does (typesetting) doesn't need eternal development, and it does a pretty-close-to-perfect job.

i concur, after the learning curve because of its shitty layout (i do agree that it is unintuitive and difficult), the only consistent problem is that it is somewhat "jagged." and skewing is less effective

vim
aosp
vlc
ffmpeg
putty
gimp
obs
7-zip
firefox
bsd

>OSeX and Winblows
I haven't cringed this hard in a long time.

gcc

IntelliJ is the best IDE the god's have ever graced us with.

>You're exaggerating. A minimal example uses three lines, everything else you can learn as you go.
No, you literally are supposed to read the TeXbook (ok, not in its entirety) before you start doing anything.
If you learn as you go, a lot of the concepts employed by Tex will just confuse you until you sit down and read up on them.

In a certain way, Tex itself is nearly perfect. For a few years now, there has been a $327.68 bounty for finding a new bug in the core program.
The issue is that tex itself doesn't aim to do that much in the first place, and relies on packages and rest of the ecosystem to produce something usable. And the ecosystem, while very big, is horseshit.

>No, you literally are supposed to read the TeXbook
Woops. I learnt as I went. I suppose I'm doomed?
I don't see the big deal tough, what are some examples of "confusion by concepts employed by Tex"?

Genuinely curious as to what the limitations of Blender are... and I've used Blender (mainly as a NLE with Natron), and used it a for a few projects successfully.

CSG can't be the way of the future. That being said, FreeCAD supports OpenSCAD and by proxy CSG so I'd be more compelled to say it's the best competitor to closed-source applications at the moment, namely Creo and Solidworks. Nothing still rivals NX/CATIA in the production environment still.

GNU∛Linux > Windows

this +
>macro system makes for literally impossible for semi-smart code completition
>takes pride in great line breaks, but when it does not work, it's pain all the way up the ass to fix
>inconsistetn naming and patterns across packages
>fail fast principle is virtually negated
>fucking TikZ
>where the fuck is LaTeX3

This

BIND9

what's wrong with notepad++? i honestly wish i could use it on linux and mac

>gparted
If you look around for partition manager you'll find that some of the software that have payable licenses have an amazing feature set

>vim/emacs
Proprietary IDEs have all the features they need and don't require you to relearn how to use a keyboard to type text or to do tedious configuration to make it work right.

ffmpeg isn't free software. It's just cost-free. If you try to make software that depends on it, you'll run into a legal nightmare due to the spaghetti of licenses it depends on.

Apache, firefox, vim/emacs, gcc.
And don't forget the linux kernel, no matter what, it's better than any black box botnet

I just took a c programming exam, finished before all the cluless notepad++ and sublime fags.
Can't trim the vim

This is a valid answer IMO.

you should try editing programming and text files on a headless server

I do sometimes and I just use vim, but I hate it.

>Blender
>Can do exactly all the same things as the other software
>Comes in a single 80MB zip and updates easily
>Gives you all the freedoms you want
>Huge amount of resources
>IT'S BAD BECAUSE THE UI IS NOT THE SAME AS THE OTHERS AND I'VE SEEN AMATEURS DO BAD WORK WITH IT
Fuck off

If you've ever done scientific computing on a cluster (CFD, DFT, MD and any other number crunching simulations), you'd choose the Intel C compiler over GCC 100% of the time...

If freedom is always as cumbersome as this, I rather stay with Maya

>not downloading one of dozens of scripts that make gimp look 1:1 visually
>not downloading one of dosen of scripts that make gimp have 1:1 keybinds
>b-b-b-b-b-ut cymk
Ok you got me not out of box
but
>not downloading one of dozen of scripts that setup cymk

What if your cluster isn't an intel cluster?