codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
[Gist] backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1mZ1M4uKR0n
docs.spring.io/spring/docs/current/spring-framework-reference/html/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*official thread theme

vocaroo.com/i/s1mZ1M4uKR0n

what are some tools and techniques to make responsive HTML5 pages FAST, for people who don't like HTML5/CSS/design?
for example: emmet

also, bump

Help?

var {

}
How would I set this code as a variable, and have it listed in the file later?
I want to be able to do something like this
var //Example video/// var end

Maybe I'd have to make the video a variable as well?

Jesus Christ what the fuck are you even asking, Pajeet?

wew

I am an experienced programmer who knows C, Python, Java and a little bit of Scheme. Just got offered a full time job writing Cold Fusion. Should I take the bait?

no

>pajeet
kek
I explained it better in the DPT thread

>Help me please

How would I enter a link into the highlighted text of this variable? I know how to do this in python, but I'm not familiar with HTML

Basically I want something like this
EXAMPLE LINK HERE (Basically the variable containing the code, and the link inserted into the middle)
To make my code look less messy/confusing

Thanks guys...

sir, you need to learn html first.

Rasheed Pajeet
Designated Street Shitter in Delhi

I would recommend stopping what you are currently doing, in favor of reading a book. Read to understand don't just skim.

If you want help you should ask a well thought out constructive question. It seems you are incapable of that because you have not done your studying. So until you do that, you are PAJEET. Everyone in this thread will now refer to you as PAJEET. Hope the curry tastes good in Mumbai faggot.

test

Any cool ideas for a website that can show off l33t skills to job people?

I do php, js, linux, sql, mongo. pretty much whatever as long as there're resources to practice
>inb4 ew php

HTML is a markup language, not a programming language.

i completed html and css 101 today on odin.

>no reply in dpg
Is there any other available free cloud like openshift that has tomcat in it? If I have to pay might as well learn aws. For some backwards reason free tier is not available for my countty

Is the first project still replicating the google homepage? Show us

Make a game w JavaScript and php/MySQL leaderboard?

Bootstrap. And google bootstrap alternatives for more options

how should my first portfolio look like?
I know html css bootstrap and javascript
wanna get job as front end junior webdev
should I put jquery stuff in my portfolio website
or make a few website examples, use jquery in them and put them in some gallery section in my portfolio?
an example would be also apreciated

Banner/nav
About me
Example projects
Contact

I put the languages I know and what I'm learning at the bottom too. Another idea is to have your example project tiles be hoverable and list the technologies you used to make them.

>Example projects
but I haven't done any yet
except for like in learning purposes
should I put tic tac toe game I learned from online course?

Yup, even if it's small things you made, if that's all you have. That's basically all my portfolio is, projects made following FCC's curriculum.

Try to also make something that solves a problem in your life, no matter how small. It'll give you something to talk about in an interview and it's applying stuff to real life instead of just making random websites.

what are some good books for learning spring mvc/hibernate/thymeleaf? I only know some java

docs.spring.io/spring/docs/current/spring-framework-reference/html/index.html right here

manning publication's "____ in action" are always my goto books

It's like I'm really on Stack Overflow.

people asking stupid questions?
people giving you asshole responses?

>have form with input type text and submit
>assign a var in text
>type url in input
>click submit
>put var in src
is this what you want pajeet?

>inb4 no htmlspecialchars

I'm working on my personal website and trying to come up with something fresh, need some inspiration.

Post some ideas for functionality that could be easily achieved using PHP (preferably without making use of a db).

More importantly, post ideas for the aesthetics/design, anything that you consider interesting without being too flashy, keeping responsiveness in mind, preferably something that can be achieved using CSS3+PHP, the less JS the better.

Seriously, anything goes, let's do brainstorming in here

*yawns*

I was impressed the other day by a novel approach for a hamburger menu that used no JS. It dealt with radio buttons and CSS psuedo selectors. I'd never use it in production, but I thought it was neat enough to follow the author on Twitter.

>hamburger menu
*vomits*

I think I know which one you're talking about, I remember trying something like that, very clever indeed.

Trying to stay away from hamburger menus though.

How is Heroku lads?

What are "necessary" JavaScript libraries that you need to learn? jQuery seems to be the big one?

none of them are necessary and are highly region dependant
for some people jq is recommended to learn because companies in their neck of the woods are still using it
for others it's shit like react or angular

just check out companies in your area and what they're using m8 common sense

Yeah... no. If you don't know jquery you'll be laughed out of webdev whether your current project uses it or not

which one is better to start with for image editing on php : Imagick or gd ? (or anything else)

None.

It's good to learn jQuery because it wraps a lot of things that make writing pure JavaScript really lengthy. A lot of other libraries sort of use JQ as an inspiration for their own libraries.

However, when you learn it, you need to go in and learn what it is doing under the covers and what you could write without it. For example, you do not need to include jQuery just do be able to do DOM manipulation. pure JavaScript is perfectly capable of doing that without JQ's help. Just like you don't need all of JQ to do an XHR request. You can do it with pure JS, or just include a micro-library to wrap that functionality for you.

If your whole app needs a multitude of JQ features, then yeah, it makes sense, but you have to know when you just need a toothpick vs a whole Swiss Army knife that makes your pockets look really fat.

Same for other frameworks like Angular, Dojo, or React. It's good to know them, but it's really good to know how they play together. It's good to avoid using JQ when you use Angular because you'll be fighting the framework most of the time. It'll also mean that you have to load two big libraries even though Angular already has quite a bit of the JQ you'll need included in the library already.

Why waste server resources on image editing? Make the user's PC do it clientside.

use php

call the code with echo whenever you need it

What's the use case?

want to generate some image after client's information input and hide image edit processing from user and place watermarking on final result till he chooses to download it

client going to input basic data(like place my name, don't place my name, background my logo, place my logo on top) and some images, server will generate few images based on some templates and let's user choose which one is better(need to hide processing and wartermark final image till user chooses the image and download)

None, with modern JS, you shouldn't even need jQuery. I strongly recommend to not use it, and not include it as a normal part for all websites.
Better learn JS properly.

If I want to focus on backend development, do I need to know much HTML/CSS for writing some frontend tests? Like, if all I want to do is display text and have some basic forms, I could avoid CSS completely and just focus on the basic HTML tags, right? I don't care about it being pretty.

Yeah you just need HTML for that.

Yes, but you might want to know HTML well, unless your backend work doesn't require it at all.

nothing wrong with learning jquery, but not going past that especially not learning basic javascript just makes you pajeet level

wish me luck

Why do so many of you say that jQuery is deprecated?

Of course you shouldn't use it for everything but it seems like a handy library for bigger projects.

>tripfag
>reddit

Not surprised

Yeah... no.

Question about blocking IPs.
All of this is bullshit pulled from my ass so point out anything that's wrong from here on.

With ISPs who don't give every customer an IPv4 anymore but only an IPv6, they usually offer some tunnel functionality which still allows them to access IPv4 content only.

But those tunnels are shared right? So if I block an IPv4 of such a tunnel, I possibly block a few more people who didn't do anything wrong in the first place?

I'm going to do this.

>that comic

WHERE'S THE JOKE

Just finish php basic programming i will start mysql now :(

This is very interesting, please create a blog with PHP and MySQL where I can subscribe

Is anyone here using Scala?

I laughed at the C# one.
Despite using java for years I did not understand the java one.

This is an HTML and CSS forum. Take your technical questions elsewhere.

>passed the algorithmic test
>in the wrong programming langues

meanwhile

>applied to my old job
>didn't hear back from them
>realize I had their email in a spam filter that deleted anything they sent

god I feel like an enormous fucking retard and want to die

i believe so, first assignment has some readings and going threw code academy html/css track.

then making android logo with html/css following a tutorial.

*through

you're trying to hard friendo

God fucking dammit. How do I vertically align text in a div?

text

I'm so sick of this shit.Since 2000 we've needed a unified method for vertically aligning shit regardless of content or display type.

Leading method seems to be lineheight which fucks with my responsive layout.

Hello guys,

Webdevs should immolate themselves with fire.

Thank you for reading ~~ ~
Bye.

Why can't you put a span around the text? then you can do top 50% minus 50% y transform. Ugly but works fine.

Anyone?

>t. game store clerk

A bit OT.
How do you muster up energy to learn after a job? I don't even work 8 hours most days. Going to sleep around 23, waking up at 7:30, going to job at ~9:20/10:20 (depends). Thinking on going to sleep an hour earlier and waking up earlier. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Also this doesnt work with bootstrap or pure.

Hey guys, how I could do something like this in jQuery but instead of copypasting the same thing over and over, do it programmatically, using maybe some incremental variable instead of 1, 2, 3, etc...

$j('.product-page-1').show();
$j('.product-page-2').hide();
$j('.product-page-3').hide();
$j('.product-page-4').hide();

$j(".product-page-1-show").hover(function(){
$j(this).addClass('active');
$j('.product-page-0').hide();
$j('.product-page-1').show();
});

$j(".product-page-2-show").hover(function(){
$j(".product-page-1-show").removeClass('active');
$j('.product-page-1').hide();
$j('.product-page-2').show();
});

$j(".product-page-3-show").hover(function(){
$j('.product-page-3').show();
});

$j(".product-page-4-show").hover(function(){
$j('.product-page-4').show();
});

disregard the $j and replace it by $ of course, this is because of prototype and some shit conflict with it and jQuery.

function myfunc(pageToShow) {
for (i = 0; i < #ofpages; i++) {
if (i == pageToshow){
$('.product-page-' + i).show();
}
else {
$('.product-page-' + i).hide();
}
}
}

>fucking lisp

What do you use for RESTful api's in php anons?
Slim? Lumen? ...?

Add another class to each page called "product-page" and hide those, then add a data-attribute to your links and build the target class from that.

Show page 2
Page 2

$('a').on('mouseover', 'a', function() {
var target_id = $(this).attr('data-id');
$('.product-page').hide().find('.product-page-'. target_id).show();
});

I wish it was homework and not me being clueless about this.

Thanks

That's awesome, thanks.

jej

I'm kind of confused about how SSL works. You have to pay a monthly/yearly fee for a certificate?

Okay guys I really need your help, I'm sort of new to node and I've been reading through all the jwt docs and still can't figure out how to set a client's auth token. Help?

Is C++ never used for websites?

If its used, then how?
I only saw rudimentary Django for Python up to yet - how does that compare?

Wot?

I just write my own.

literally everything I find tells me how to generate web tokens, but not set them

> ctrl + F
> "react"
> 2 posts.
> ctrl + F
> "webpack"
> 0
> ctrl + F
> "redux"
> 0

Lol everyone in Sup Forums is so out of touch with the industry.

>ctrl + F
>"jquery"
> 9 posts
Damn. You guys DO know that jquery is like using tape to build a house, right? jQuery gets unmaintainable if you build business class applications.

Use a god damn framework. Learn the NodeJS ecosystem and start with React!

Also, Angular is outdated.

Sup Forumsuys, keep up with the system!

>Angular is outdated
wut

> ctrl+f
> "es6"
> 0
> "Web development general"

jfc Sup Forums.

There's a little something called Babel.js for that.
Why the hell isn't anyone using the latest version of JavaScript?

C++ isn't a modern language. just let it go.

What are some cool ideas for web apps? I want to mess around a bit but can't think of any neat ideas.

So far I've done
>an imageboard
>a blog
>a pastebin

wtf are you on about

Is there a faster way to resize images than looping through them and changing the width/height? Maybe something involving the canvas or something.

I'm trying to mimic flickr's gallery (all images within a single row have the same height and their combined width fill the width of the gallery) but it's too slow for 200+ images.

Angular 1.x is still around because a ton of companies were like "omfg its made by google, it must be gr8" so there's a huge adoption that has now become fallout. Same reason why Java is still relevant, even though it's so difficult to maintain large OOP codebases.

Then Angular 2.0 came out. Still huge learning curve and high complexity. Google devs needed "muh paradigm shift" which created a shitshow.

Seriously user, just try React. It's a one-way state management system that simplifies the way you maintain huge codebases. If you use the Redux way of state management for React, you'll probably never need another framework again.

t. non-enterprise dev that has never had to build a truly large application