C++ is the best programming language, right guys?

C++ is the best programming language, right guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/csharp.html).
lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/
lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/index.php
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Graphics_Array
gtkmm.org/en/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's an abonitation.

C#

C++11 and later is alright. Too bad C++98 is still the most widely supported standard.

Fucking assembly.
What else you need?

There is no such things as best language. There is a best language for a purpose.
C++ is the best language for some purposes.

C++ is a more shit C.

Don't listen to these idiots, OP. C++ is the best system programming language, followed by C. There isn't even a competitor to these two languages quite frankly.

my favorite thing about c++ is that you don't have to use oop and can just treat it like C

Anyone in industry will agree with this. I'm a systems programmer for the largest company in our niche industry. ALL systems software is in C++ or is in C and being updated

There is no best

Pick the right tool for the job

/thread

Depends on the job. For low level systems programming C and asm are still king. You can use C++ for it, but at some point you're going to have to break out some C or asm.

Why would you use C++ instead of C#, Java, etc?

>you're going to have to break out some C or asm

Assembly I understand, but for C, why?

you are developing something that requires realtime (or as close to as possible) so cannot sit in a virtual machine and use garbage collection

What is the best language for mobile app developement? Asking for a friend

C++ can interface with almost every language, and since it runs native code you can do h4x stuff with it too (aimbots etc)

Swift for ios
Java for android

>C#
Effectively Windows only.

>Java
Slow.

Java is comparatively fast (against other high-level languages.)

Not against C# or C++.

I don't consider any language that includes manual memory management 'high-level'. So that rules out C++. Java and C++ ostensibly do not compete in the same space generally.

And C# is **not** faster than C# (benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/csharp.html). They're roughly equal.

Literally every one of your meme languages runs on an interpreter written in C.

>implying that's relevant

>And C# is **not** faster than C#
>They're roughly equal.

I damn well hope so.

>interpreter
>implying that is was written in C if it was interpreted

all widely used languages are shit desu
the good languages are niches and lack everything around them to make them usable

All interpreters are written in C (except when they're made in something even worse). You can't just conjure language features out of thin air, you have to build them on top of something in a lower level language, that's pretty much gonna be C

Java is pretty nice to work with in a big project.

So what? Tame that abomination and it will become your greatest pet ever.

All I know is C, C++ and Assembly and while the former two are really good, Assembly wins.

C and C++ are like a godsend to start learning programming with, and after messing around with some JavaScript I never felt happier to go back to good old C.
But seriously, Assembly is fucking fast, many multiples faster. A small loop can be about 9x less instructions using Assembly. Sure it's a mess to do even the simplest of tasks but it definitely gives you an incredibly good understanding of how programming and hardware interact. Makes you a little more creative in being efficient with all languages because you get used to fucking about like mad to get less lines.

Assembly is in a class of its own for good reason.

Visual Basic 6 masterrace

Forth is the best.

Swift

how do i into graphical user interfaces with c++

asking for a friend

lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/
You're welcome

Befunge is the hands down best language desu

No wait goto lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/index.php instead, with SDL2

What is a programming language that will let me mess around with graphics from the ground up? As in not using prefab gui/graphics libraries. Asm?

Many libs out there m8,
> Qt (and its proprietery bullshit and QMLcancer)
> wxWidgets (This one is close the MVC cancer)
> GTK/GTK+ (C ass)
> *cures if you're interested in TUI systems
> core winblows shit (IE, GTK, cancer)

There's more but lots of people use these ones.
or make your own somehow :^)

That, or whatever lets you mess with the video memory. C/C++ is relatively easyish to use to manage it: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Graphics_Array

Pretty much any language. QBASIC was a fun one to play with graphics in.

I've heard Swift is pretty good.

whats the best language to learn from the start?

>Java
>Systems programming
HHHHHHHHEH

Yes but assembly is incredibly niche and certainly not a good alternative to C/C++ in many cases.
It's like building your house out of bricks vs building it out of individual grains of sand.

This is totally subjective, but imo don't start with a scripting language like JS or Python. Start slightly lower level, like C#, Java, or even C++

It's nice to understand HOW things work, and Python (as an example) doesn't teach you a lot of things.

it has a lot of mistakes that will never get fixed or take decades to fix if were lucky.

the 8 or so years of no updates to the standard hurt it quite a bit, so its will be catching up with other languages for the next decade or so.

still a pretty ok language.

I'm sorry but the built in reflection in C# is fucking amazing.

While I love C++ I find C, C++ and C# all have their uses.

That's a funny way to spell fortran.

Oh hai Sup Forumsuys

I never said that retard

>I don't consider
Here's the problem. If you talk with other people, you can't expect them to use your special snowflake definition.

>building out of individual grains of sand
Suppose with the power of modern cpus, that degree of control is no longer needed. Just remains for embedded stuff.

I still like how the gameboy used assembly, one of the better success stories in programming and electronics. Even my pebble is way more powerful and can use C without issues now..

>> GTK/GTK+ (C ass)
There's gtkmm which is the official C++ wrapper for GTK and it's very nice. Much much nicer than the Qt cancer.
gtkmm.org/en/