A somewhat scientific study on Sup Forums usage. I thought you more technically minded people will find it interesting

A somewhat scientific study on Sup Forums usage. I thought you more technically minded people will find it interesting.

arxiv.org/pdf/1610.03452.pdf
motherboard.vice.com/read/block-Sup Forums-to-stop-the-alt-right-from-spreading-racist-memes-scientists-say

originally posted on

Other urls found in this thread:

scribd.com/doc/35688046/Christopher-Moot-Poole-Testimony-in-Palin-Email-Trial
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Sup Forums
>study on Sup Forums usage
Nobody cares about Sup Forums and their kek memes.

>technically minded people
>Sup Forums

This is fucking hillarious to read. It's like scientists writing serious a paper on children playing around in sandpit.

> While Figure 12 is clearly the most
common of Pepes, we have included a collection of somewhat rarer
Pepes in Section 9.

Yep, it's a joke.
I had my doubts, but the graphs of pretty meaningless data to pad out space and make it look real, half the paper being explaining Sup Forums, and most importantly:
It speaks of Sup Forums as an entity rather than an imageboard.
Which is what we do, but it is not what an academic would do.
Pol does not produce actions, an academic would say that 'Sup Forums posters do this and that' rather than Sup Forums itself.

Look at this fucking shit. Jesus.

lol this is what I thought.
Sup Forums is like /fa/ for your computer.

>memes like rare pepes are now graduate school research paper material

fuck america

How can you not read that, think "is this a fucking joke?" and not actually consider that it could be.

welcome to the future

Holy fuck, I can't stop laughing. To think there are people going in debt because of this...jesus fucking CHRIST!

social science was always a joke

>Sociology
>Explains memes to you in exchange for student debt
>Tfw my sociology teacher was a fag and he still hated identity politics and SJWs
Murrikans are truly fucked

i believe it says the study was carried out in London and Rome. Holy shit learn to read at least a bit. At least show second grade reading comprehension.

"A team of researchers funded by the European Union’s ENCASE project, which seeks to improve social networks, have completed a large study of user activity on Sup Forums’s “Politically Incorrect” board, Sup Forums"

That room where they do the presentation actually looks rather comfy and warm. I'd love to watch a movie there with a couple of anons.

>scientific study
>Sup Forums
>lol

>funded by the European Union’s ENCASE project
EU is close to complete collapse.
Another referendum to leave the union can happen in France, in Italy or the Netherlands.
They are just scared shitless about their cushy jobs.

I'm not really surprised, if you sign up for a class like that you're going to be following social trends.

>We study the nature of the links (URLs) posted on Sup Forums, relying on the McAfee SiteAdvisor service

What kinda movie? Wanna watch some Boss Nigger or Django?
Eastern European guy here; the pepe thing has been popular on Facebook for about a year now. No; I don't use it, I know people who use it and they've been telling me about this green frog thing that has been popping on their feeds recently.

Anyway, I'm not suprised by such studies trying to research the spread of phenomena, but..man, to somebody who's used to this stuff - seeing it from an academia standpoint is fucking hilarious.

>lurk Sup Forums for weeks
>recognize that pol is shit
>write a 17sites paper over how shit pol is
bravo!
bonuspoints for finding the least rare pepe

What a fucking complete waste of time

Honestly, I have no doubts that this is a real paper.
The quality standard expected of millennials has dropped so much in the last 20 years, some SJW-aligned student could probably turn in a period stain on a sheet of paper and scream that her project is just as valid as any other.

Are you offering to give me a hand job under the desk, user?

>block-Sup Forums-to-stop-the-alt-right-from-spreading-racist-memes-scientists-say
I remember when "scientist" meant something. Just like "engineer" used to mean something.

W-what if I am?

"Hate words"
>Not getting a warm tingly feeling of endearment and entertainment when seeing them

Very well, squeeze the balls and don't look me in the eye

>I cup your balls
>with the other hand, I run my index finger's fingernail across your shaft
Now, I don't know whether you're circumcised, so I've made two scenarios
>I pull your foreskin upwards, and slap your balls softly, and release it
>I scratch the sides of your glans, and scratch the opening of your urethra with my pinky's jagged fingernail
====
>I look at you with a nasty, shit-eating expression, and ask you to keep quiet

"Idiot", "bitch", "cunt", and "trash" are just generic insults. Cunt is the funniest one because I imagine like 50% of them are 'strayian posters.

And people pretending to be aussies.
Nigger... is a weird case, as well. While the majority of them would, indeed - refer to the actual black people, there are use cases such as "snow nigger" and "sand nigger".

uncircumcised
>I put on my robe and wizard hat

Chavs use cunt as well, so do Canadians I believe

>someone received a grant to pretend to analyze shitposts on Sup Forums

They're one of us, you just know.

This is actually plausible. I wonder if it's just a guy on Sup Forums who wanted to make money with the least amount of effort.

Nobodies got a problem with them, it's the people paying to go to the class that's the joke

>uwa~
>a magician?
>wait a minute
>>I grab the pair of frilly, dark purple panties I've been wearing while masturbating, I put on an ill-fitting bra
>I put on a hat, similar to yours
>the former two don't belong on a man...but anyway
>I take a couple of plastic items
>I wink at you and return under the desk

You should see the transcripts of the time Moot got indicted

scribd.com/doc/35688046/Christopher-Moot-Poole-Testimony-in-Palin-Email-Trial

>I'm showing you the head of a thick, long, and pink vibrator
>this...here is my wand~
>my beautiful and powerful..wand~
>I'm drooling a lot, but you can't see it
>you can only hear my ugly (yet beautiful) snickering

Do not anger me wench for I am mighty and powerful
>I cast dispel on your gag reflex and attack the last of your inhibition
>A mere glance into your direction renders your hat to ashes

My favorite part of this is how they have to keep asking him to speak up.
I just imagine the spaghetti flying everywhere as he tries to explain how to shitpost with a fucking judge and jury hanging on his every word.

>I collect the ashes by waving my "wand" around, and I make an black object, the approximate size and length of a pencil
>I magically guide it to your cock and softly insert it into your urethra
>mwahahaha~
>your cock is
>s-e-a-l-e-d~

What are you doing with that?
>I transfer all Power from engines to shields

>Sup Forums image names are UNIX epoch time stamps

wow i didn't realize this until now

Luckily my shields were up and we sustained minimal casualties. "Time to end this" I say to myself as I rip you from under the desk and slam you on the table

That's also why on very rare occasions Sup Forums swaps images from posts that happen at the same time. Causes them to both have the same filename, so Sup Forums fucks up.

It only happens if they have different filetypes I think.

>Rickroll is a mean or Internet kind of trend
>mean
ONE JOB

This. I was quick to dismiss articles about the "oppression and brutality faced by trans first nation womyn" until I took the required ethnic studies class.

>O-O-OH no, you fucking won't!
>I stand up
>but..
>I fall?
>w-what did you do to me?
>I stretch out my hand towards your face, but I start twisting
>my ass feels like it's being lifted towards you

Fucking faggots.

they're teaching memes to children too

you wanna RP with me~

colon three

>colon three
>not semicolon three
Fuck off.

>You don't take my anal virginity!
>I whistle the tune of a song I'd listened to as a kid, together with my master witch
>the door opens, a ray of light enters, and with it, I disappear
>I'm home~

Sorry, I have to go. I hope we can do this later, again

I clasp my hands together and preform a series of gestures that look like some form of archaic sign language while chanting in the language of the gods instantly restoring my mana and Super charging it.

"This is the end"

I focus on your tiny, pink, pulsing cooch and shout "AVRAKADAVRA" the room starts to shake and tremble and a maelstrom suddenly erupts throwing the contents of the room around.

>they even got usage of sage wrong
Jesus fucking, christ the newfaggotry; is real

"sage" is pronounced sah-gay and it doesn't lower a thread despite the name, it does nothing to a thread it's the same as not posting anything at all

>Q. And the term "rickroll" you said it tries to make people go to a site where they think it is going to be one thing, but it is a video of Rick Astley, is that right?
>A. Yes.
>Q. He was some kind of singer?
>A. Yes.
>Q. It's a joke?
>A. Yes.
Top tier cross examination.

Ben Garrison wrote this.

They are calling this a longitudinal study, and yet only covered the months of June to September, 2016, and only have one case study to show for it. They then draw their conclusions based on that case study. Is this shit even peer reviewed?

are we in japan? no. it's pronounced sage

If someone asked me the meaning of the word "pseudo-intellectual", i'd pretty much point them at that.

arxiv is not peer reviewed, no

you're on an anime imageboard

Then why is anyone discussing this if it's not yet peer reviewed?

Nigger, sage (and noko) was a feature in 2ch, which is the board Sup Forums was ripped off of. It's pronounced "Sah-ge" because it's a condensed form of the Nip word "sageru", which means "to lower"
Now off yourself, you filthy fucking newfag scum.

I believe you missed user's point. Because we are not in Japan, we have a right to bastardize the pronunciation of the word.

You don't actually pronounce it "say-jih", do you?

Wrong. It's because we're in America.

The way they pronounced it was even worse than using the correct pronunciation. Who the fuck says "sah-jay", if you're going to pronounce it like an english word just use "sage" like the plant

I pronounce it like the herb, sage.

Europeans are fully at liberty to mispronounce things too.

Fags are based. The problem is women. Tradcons drove an unnatural wedge between gay and straight males.

Wow

I mean these people do dumb stuff to justify their fancy degrees, but this just seems embarrassing.

I guess these people won't be working on the Mars colonies eh.

>Fifth Phase
>Dank memes

What is this pottery?

>finland not in the same cluster as the other scandinavian countries

like pottery

>which is the board Sup Forums was ripped off of
that was 2chan, retard

The article is stating things the paper never said, and the scientists never said Sup Forums should be blocked. Why is Vice such utter trash?

>hate speech
into the trash it goes

worth a skim, but that's about it

It's not just vice, this is all media reporting on science-like articles.
Basically they have an article that's all academic and shit, then just make up whatever the fuck they want and credit it to the article because no-one will read it.

you may think everything we post here is a joke, but we will eventually become history

>A
It's a variation on Cruzposting. The macro refers to Cruz's desperation to win the Republican nomination. The German is referring to the antithesis between Cruz's commitment to his own principles by not endorsing Trump at the Convention versus Bernie's complete 180 to supporting Clinton at that convention and standing against what he previously stood for, completely unconcerned that the primaries were rigged against him.

>B
accurate enough

>C
it's a troll post, definitely not a serious Trump supporter

>D
yeah

t. ex-Sup Forums browser

This is a joke. Literally just a shitpost in academia.

>end of September
I might be mistaken, but I recall this poster posting this earlier that month. If so, this is just a repost and not worth making this collage on.

I browsed it for 3 months before I felt like it was shit.

I highly doubt bitch is more common than fag. I only see bitch in the Navy Seal capyposta

>fifth phase: dank memes
This is some higher level tier hilarity. People are actually PAYING money to learn about the result of our diabolical shitposting that we call Pepe the frog. People are getting university degrees about a meme. Let's just let that sink in for a moment.

those who can't meme, teach

The saddest thing about this is you can know a lot more about Sup Forums and imageboard culture than someone who paid for this shit, they are going to be respectable PhD in Memology, but you will still be some weeaboo faggot and loser.

>tfw you will never get paid hilarious amounts of money to study memes and draw overcomplicated abstract conclusions

The joke is that EU funded this study through a grant.