Daily reminder that if you were really running FREE software, you'd be running BSD

Daily reminder that if you were really running FREE software, you'd be running BSD

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XeRop_FOuws
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articles_of_Confederation
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Freedom isn't necessarily even good.

GPL is the most restrictive license, ironically. I license all my code in BSD new.

It's free as in liberty. Not free as in anarchy. It's like a constitution.

>that massive fucking "GPL" lock
Quick, name one thing you're allowed to do under the macOS or Win10 EULA that is not allowed under the GPL

> Add the source to the package when distributing $product
Somehow this is bad.

>baww my software license doesn't allow me to enslave others
BSD is like the confederation. Butthurt that 'freedom for all' means freedom for their slaves too, they rebel against the GPL north.

cuck detected

Letting your freedoms be taken away is not cuckholdry?
I assume that letting your girlfriend be taken away is also not cuckholdry in your eyes?

MIT is best because fuck you but also look at how great i am

WTFPL is the cohoice of patricians.

Close your source.

Christ GPL fags are retarded

>whaaaa I can't glue a bunch of other people's work together and then sell it for profit

Grow up.

Wrong. The GPL doesn't contain any provisions that would prevent you from developing proprietary software using GPLed tools.

Of course, it's possible that you completely misinterpreted the comic in the OP. But it would be rude of me to assume you're that stupid.

Except you have to open your whole code if you use any GPL code, it's called a viral license for a reason.

/thread

Only if you distribute it. You're free to develop your own in-house tools with GPL tech and never give out the source code.

Still not a valid answer to my question (), since the macOS and Win10 EULAs don't let you use their code at all, regardless of how you license the result.

post the original comic

>Only if you distribute it.
That was the point of the post I was replying to.

I think you're just misinterpreting the comic, but I don't care about that point either way.

Daily reminder that "free software" was a term coined by Stallman to describe licenses with certain attributes.

This post is as retarded as saying that Windows Office is a BSD because UC Berkeley distributes this software to students.

>you have to open your whole code if you use any GPL code

Look the flying fuck given by nvidia. You can ask the author to allow it to you linking it with modifications. Libraries are lgpl anyway.

I was talking about GPL, not LGPL.

Still nv don't open their drivers (not all) and WSL (or whatever) didn't caused opensourced W10.

I don't give a fuck what license there is if code is open.

WSL uses an image of Ubuntu provided by Canonical, the rest is MS code.

It's still in the system. Muh viral license.

Linux is freeer because the GPL protects the code from being bottled up and sold.

Microsoft would love for Linux users to switch to FreeBSD so they can fork it and make their own cuckBSD that only MS software works with.

The BSD license only protects corporations not users. The GPL protects user freedom, even from corporations.

BSD has worse driver support and software than Linux. Until someone like Canonical can commercialize BSD into a proper distribution for everyday use, it will remain in the shadows.

No OSX does not count even if it is based on BSD as it is a totally different system which is locked down.

t. dude who never used any BSD

>GPL protects the code from being bottled up and sold.
Well, it doesn't.
>The BSD license only protects corporations not users.
Implying users or devs give a shit.

ayy.

Reminder that there is literally nothing stopping people from stealing your source code, closing it and giving it a graphical front end to make shekels.

BSD releases proprietary binaries.
It isn't free.

>BSD
>tons of money to be had
wut

Would be more accurate if the free money was in a hookers purse and BSD was a bloody lead pipe.

:3

They mean for the companies that will take your code.

IIRC Windows just rewrote core utils so they don't have GPL code.

>Windows just rewrote
>Windows

And there's something stopping corporations from stealing Linux code?

The GPL forces you to give up all your product and creation for free and then pretends it's to protect you. Communism doesn't fucking work.

>Cuck license
How about no.

BSD is a good licensing if you don't really care about the software you wrote - like a soon-to-be-abandoned hobby project

Ebin XD

>tons of money
Yeah right. Have fun companies hijacking your code and giving you NOTHING in return because of your cuck license.

Linux is more profitable than OpenBSD. Learn why.

More profitable in what?

making money

>Apple
>Sony
>Netflix

What a bunch of poorfag BSD cucks, right?

You're fucking retarded

>>Apple
OSX is APSL
>Sony
PS4 system software proprietary licence

No one brought up OpenBSD except you, because you have such a hateboner for it.

Kill yourself, idiot.

for whom?

Linux = kernel
OpenBSD (the BSD you like so much) = kernel

See a pattern?

Are you doing this on purpose?

Are you?

SPOILER ALERT: NOT THE DEVELOPERS

BSD has it's issues, but profitability and creator freedom is not among them

>Actually replying to strawman

Windows is my favorite software dev

Both are BSD based, hombre.

fug you, I'm actually trying to understand what meant by this
>Linux is more profitable than OpenBSD

I don't know if this reply is any honest since it has 3d girl as the image.

Compare Linux foundation to that of OpenBSD.

One of them earns more money.

Does that necessarily has to have anything with licence?
Both don't have any lines to pay the creator back with money.

t. commie

>as there's private property persons can make profit of on their own
FTFY

>OpenBSD is the best example

Compare Apple to Canonical.

Pro Tip: It ends well for BSD

The only way BSD earns a profit is when they brainwash dipshits like OP into donating.

Compare apple to Google

Pro Tip; It ends up bad for BSD

>Android is FOSS

I honestly don't know if communists are stupid or just good baiters

Android uses Linux idiot

Am i wrong or youre all fucking idiots and linux is open, not GNU?(just linux-libre is GNU)

10% at the base, the rest is all closed source proprietary software from Google.

BSD wins again

Not be arseimilated under the GNU project if Stallman wants your software

Not sure why we're arguing over license issues given that we can choose which one we want to use. I have been on FreeBSD at home for ~3 years and ~10 years of Linux use prior to that. Both are quite suitable for the average developer on the average desktop. 90% of it is taste.

>inb4 the BSD memers remind me that it's literally the worst and I should kill myself for being a cuck

>BSD wins again
No

why bsd is so cool but no autist cuck wants to use it besides the big corporation?

youtube.com/watch?v=XeRop_FOuws
>profitability
YOU FOOL, YOU SAID THE P-WORD

People who promote the BSD license coincidentally are not involved in programming in any way.

enjoy your blobs.

hobbyists don't like the idea of big corporations making profit off of their work

BSD is the literal cuck license. It's just so glaringly obvious when you look at BSD and the PS4.

It's time to expose the two sides of the coin that are Microsfot (state regulated and influenced monopoly) and the GPL that is just plain communism, gee I wonder if the guy who invented is Jewish?

>forced sharing isn't cuckoldry
>owning something you alone can benefit from is

Communism slaughters brain cells

This, it comes from the same people who want the goverment to take over everything becasue they are too afraid of freedom and competing in the free market.

>I wonder if the guy who invented is Jewish?
No man, Stallman is just a German surname, not Jewish at all :^)

>inb4 >using the caret smiley

i guess theo de raadt has never programmed his whole life

Wtfpl best

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articles_of_Confederation

'confederation' is a form of government. Don't confuse 'confederation' with 'The Confederacy'.

>"GNU/Dad"
KEK

I saw this preachy as FUCK Linux docu years ago. One of the people in it was all fucking butthurt people said their whole philosophy was like communism. "NO IT'S NOT!" he cried with impudent rage.

My favorite part is when he went to Russia, and government types who had just spent their whole lives living under and working in a communist government, said this was too much like communism to catch on in their country.

>there are people ITT who actually believe communism is bad

>i fell for a ponzi scheme and am too fatally conceited to admit it

> he cried with impudent rage.

t.young western beta
better believe I noticed

Is there any more communistic license than GPL though?