/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last friggin' thread

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/content/enter-next-generation-focal-elear-headphone-page-2#aJ4SzdqU0dlLqI2M.97
hifimediy.com/DACs/Sabre-9018-DAC
audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/3a7a722cee1e3fe9/
amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478564023&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio d03k
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/10/sony-mdr-1000x-bt-nc-over-ear-headphones.html
innerfidelity.com/content/outstanding-bose-quiet-comfort-35-wireless-noise-canceling-headphone-measurements
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158200
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

These gon be gud?

>innerfidelity.com/content/enter-next-generation-focal-elear-headphone-page-2#aJ4SzdqU0dlLqI2M.97

Hd800S owners got cucked, but dont understand how they do it with just 40mm drivers and not 50mms

copypasting from last thread.

>Budget
under $50 if possible.
>Location
europe
>Source
phone
>Type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
comfy

i work in a datacenter and spend several hours/day next to rather loud equipment. i need something wireless as cables get in the way (so bluetooth) and closed (because noise). ability to control music (play/pause, next/previous) and take calls with them is kinda must have.

I sure hope so.

>Budget
Nothing ridiculous
>Location
UK/Europe
>Source
Standard 3.5mm jack on PC
>Type of headphone
Full size
>Open or closed
Not fussed
>Comfort level
Ultra comfy
>Past headphones
Gaymen Astro A40s. Sound was good (I don't have much experience), comfort ok but bullshit headband starts to hurt after prolonged use

Basically awesome sounding headphones to an idiot who can wear them for ages comfortably

>Budget
15$
>Location
Eastern Europe (Russia)
>Source
Phone/PC
>Type of headphone
Pic related is prefered
>Past headphones
Panasonic RP-HS46E-K - pic related. Liked them because they were light and comfortable, however one headphone got broken two times.

Damn, forgot pic

A-Are speakers also welcome?

>Budget
40€/45$
>Location
Sweden
>Source
Mp3 player, android, pc.
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Comfortable while lying down.
>Past headphones
Koss Porta Pro, ATH AD700X, Sony MDR-V6

Looking for good isolation.

Koss KCS75

Can anyone here give me they're experience with lcd-2.

Thinking of buying them.

No.

Suggest me a starter dac /hpg/.
No experience so please be gentle.
M50s

take sony, you should be fine.

Demo'd them at the local Mag booth, great sound but kind of heavy.

audioquest dragonfly

Alternatively cheaper options are FiiO K1 or Monoprice's USB DAC (Essentially a Dragonfly 1.2)

>audioquest dragonfly
>still recommending this trash

>32 bit ess saber for under 100 dollars
okay buddy.

>9010/9016
lol

hifimediy.com/DACs/Sabre-9018-DAC

holy fuck... is there an amp/preamp in there as well?

there's an amp, volume control needs to be done on the device.

well fuck me sideways. I take back what i said (i'll still stick with my dragonfly cuz i have an affiliate link and got it for $40 bucks but yeah thats better)

Yes.

Maybe

>squeakerphones

When Scythe Kro Craft rev.B speakers and Lepai 20w amp (70$ combo) blows out headphones like X2, HD600 and the like by miles, I do not understand this HPG meme. You get real presence with studio monitors, like the singer is in front of you and great width in stereo.

Then you add an active subwoofer for 50-100$ and you have great low end for movies.

And Hd600 cost 300$ + amp dac for 80$... Cucked.

I'm about to go buy the HD 598SE mates.
I can't decide on a DAC though.

Should I get the FiiO E10K or Origen+?
Or is there another one I should look at around the same budget?

These style of headphones are super cute, but I only ever see super cheap headphones with that design.

Do any actual quality headphones with that design exist?

audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/3a7a722cee1e3fe9/

>Budget
1USD
>Location
Uganda
>Source
Nokia N91
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Don't disturb others at the dorm
>Past headphones
None.

>Budget
Less than 200 preferably.
>Location
Germany.
>Source
Smartphone and PC.
>Open or closed
Closed

Mostly I would like comfy headphones that are portable / light, so I'm leaning toward on-ear. Pic related is also bluetooth, could I do better with my budget?

>
SMSL M3/M6/V2 (shitty QC though)
FX-audio DAC X6
xDuoo XD-03/XD-05

But you don't really need an amp with your 598SE

I'll take that as a yes!
System consists of 2 x Klipsch RP-280F, a Densen B-100 amp, a Densen B-400 CD player and a Musical Fidelity V90-DAC (not on picture).
Been thinking about adding an option for wireless connection, anybody have recommendations?

audiophools get fucked. dont understand how you do with anything smaller than 70mm.

But, is it ACCURAT and SOUNDS GOOD though?
Snake oil

>Origen+
Why is it so ugly?

Sorry, what?

You got ripped off.

I disagree.

HD 25 plus
It's very light and durable plus the velour pads included are pretty comfy

High mass and weight can make certain positions awkward with the LCD-2 on. In particular, it shifts around on my head a bit if I lean too much. Clamp and headband pressure are consrquences, but the thick pads try to distribute the pressure. Successful distribution and comfort may vary.
Mediocre sensitivity overall. Sensitivity is very flat and of average level from 20 to 1000 Hz. Response drops sharply before eventually picking up again around 8-9 kHz or so.
I would not say the LCD headphones sound unclear or indistinct. I don't like the drop in treble, but I'm not the one who is asking.

It's the fucking HD650. It's a perennially popular model. The Massdrop sale is not that good, not that this would stop anyone from dogpiling on it.

Why isn't the massdrop that good?

>Budget
$100
>Location
USA
>Source
FiiO
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open prefered, either works
>Comfort level
Doesnt matter, I have spare velours from my Superlux HD 681
>Sound signature
V Shaped
>Past headphones
Skullcandy Hesh2
Superlux HD 681
Samson SR950

JVC-HAFX40
Skullcandy Ink'd
VE Monk+

I listen to Drum and Bass. I will also be using them for gaming (CSGO, Battlefield 4, osu!)

FiiO K1*

Is JK truly, finally gone?

My last headphones are dying so I could use some help

>Budget
Up to $100. I can go 5-10 over but not more than that.
>Location
USA, East Coast.
>Source
3.5mm ports
>Type
Full sized
>Open or closed
It doesn't matter too much but I'd prefer closed
>Comfort level
I'll take comfort over audio quality
>Previous headphones
Just some cheap Sony MDR-V55s my parents got me as a gift. I've had em for a while but they've finally given out.

Thanks in advance.

It's a sale that runs deeper than almost all on the 650, but:

-Massdrop is really slow with shipping. By the time you get it (late December domestic), Amazon and other retailers will have had a sale on the HD650 under 300 dollars or so, and one that doesn't require you to wait six weeks to get it. There might be one right now.
-No returns, refunds.

Friends, I am having second thoughts.

I have prepared to get the Sennheiser HD6xx on massdrop, plus the Schiit Audio Magni2uber + Modi2uber. Together it is $500, probably $550-600 after shipping.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like it's too much money. It would be the first time in years that I have 'treated' myself to something expensive, yet I can't stop feeling guilty about it.

Now I'm thinking I might want to get the HD598 and a (tube) DAC/AMP, although I know one isn't necessary.

Can someone suggest a better combo for less than $300, cause in my mind there's a big difference between $500 and $300.

Think about how much a normal HD650 costs.

>Budget
30-60$ - flexible
>Location
Europe
>Source
3.5mm jack on PC or laptop
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Either... possibly closed, whatever...
>Comfort level
Prefer to be comfy... I don't need it to dongle my balls and stroke my wiener, but I don't want it to make me sweat or make my ears hurt.
>Sound signature
Don't care. As long as it's not a pair of "uhm-tiss uhm-tiss" bass-boosted wannabee-rap-nigger headphones.
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD201

>Schiit Audio Magni2uber + Modi2uber
>(tube) DAC/AMP
Why are you buying this stuff?

Yes, as much as the whole Magni+Modi+HD6xx combo.

But that's why I wouldn't normally buy the HD650s, but the HD598s. I'm only considering buying them cause it seems like such a good deal.

The HD650s need an amplifier.

>The HD650s need an amplifier.
Says who? A person who doesn't know electronics making that judgment? The HD650 can work well out of a laptop (or not). You can figure out what you actually need in terms of voltage, or you can try and buy until you figure something out.

Maybe if I restate it: why do you think you need these things?

>furry waifu
>furry headphone

Don't waste your time with tubes unless you want them for looks.
Sold my tube amp for a better and more convenient SS amp, don't regret it at all.

>why do you think you need these things?

I need a pair of headphones to listen to music.

I have a record player with a pre-amp built-in and RCA connectors as out, Audio-Technica PL-120. So I need an amp to plug that in. I'd also like the amp to be USB so I can plug in my computer.

>he cites tyll as a source of any authority or information
>driver type meme elevates to driver size meme
>can't avoid making a comparison to another headphone from a competing brand

Who cares when the device performs like shit and on top of that is manufactured by a literal garbage brand? I couldn't sleep at night if I had willingly given money to Audioquest.

Make a new template white nigga. Consider obtaining a new waifu too.

I'm too lazy to make another template
>switching waifus
you're a fucking slut get the fuck out you faggot

>you're a fucking slut
I don't want to hear that from you with your shit webtoon furry """"waifu"""" go kys. I bet you haven't washed the DT770 pads in a year.

>he actually uses his headphones
wow.

Dt 770 good for edm? Mostly darksynth.

>I have a record player with a pre-amp built-in and RCA connectors as out, Audio-Technica PL-120. So I need an amp to plug that in.
The Magni has one pair of inputs, uber or otherwise. You need add a switch or get a different amplifier.
>I'd also like the amp to be USB so I can plug in my computer.
The TRS ouput most computers have does that. Otherwise, a cheaper dongle unit or soundcard can be used.

>Budget
Max of $200, but I'd like to keep it under $150.
>Location
US
>Source
Computer entirely specifically a SMSL M3 via Optical.
>Type of headphone
Over ear or On-Ear
>Open or closed
Preferably closed since they'll used in a rather noisy house.
>Comfort level
Comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time
>Sound signature
I aim for Neutral in the IEM's I wear because I use them almost exclusively for music and audio-books, but my only want here is they are clear and clean. Neutral, bass heavy, v shaped, don' much care.
>Past headphones
Fischer Audio DBA-02
Klipsch Custom 3's
Vsonic G07
Fiio EX1's (Dunu Titan 1's)
Shure SRH-440's
Grado Sr80i's

I've looked at the Audio-Technia ATHM50x and wanted them for a while mostly because of the glowing review's Head-Fi gave 'em. But i'm not so sure anymore.

>The Magni has one pair of inputs, uber or otherwise. You need add a switch or get a different amplifier.
But all I need is one input.

I was also looking at JDS Labs Objective 2 amplifier.

>The TRS ouput most computers have does that. Otherwise, a cheaper dongle unit or soundcard can be used.

I'm afraid of the noise inside the soundcard/computer. Is that a legitimate concern?

Also, is this an 'OK' DAC?

amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478564023&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio d03k

Got a 200 dollar from microcenter.
Thinking of getting some headphones which ones should i get?
I Dont know much my only ideal desing would be mic and none leather cups

I've been told that I'm loud as fuck while I'm talking online with headphones on. Would I be more cognizant of my voice with open headphones?

Why not fiio 10? Fucking cheap and works, and clean sound. No need to buy those fancy amps, theyre all bullshit broscience.

If youre worried about spending that money, get a pair of nice speakers instead. More bang per buck

>get a pair of nice speakers instead. More bang per buck
Such as?

I've asked before but I'll ask again. Is this a decent DAC?

>I was also looking at JDS Labs Objective 2 amplifier.
>Also, is this an 'OK' DAC?
You're suppose to pair a JDS Labs ODAC with it.

Elac b6s (or b5, or literally a multitude around 300$) and any decent receiver, even cheap 5.1s (or 2.1) will do since they have and external dac and amplifier.

Once you go great speakers, you never go back.

And to answer that q, it is an external dac, its better than your phones or computers, gets the job done. It doesnt amp though. Wasted money since amp/dac is more effecient if youre cheaping out (unless you get the behringer external usb dac/amp for 30$)

Yes

Guess that's all the excuse I need. Does anything good ever go on sale on black friday, or is it just the shit that no one ever wanted and they need to clear out?

>Elac b5
They are 5.5", how loud can they go?

If I'm getting speakers I'd rather have something I can hear throughout the house.

Currently I have Bose Companion 2 (bought them over 6 years ago). I know Bose is a meme but they were on sale.

I got $99 HD598's a few years ago

M40x's for closed, SHP9500 for open
both under 100 I'm pretty sure

Too loud, dont think theres any modern speaker in the 300$ range that wont make your ears ring, hell my old 50$ logitechs were too loud for a small houseparties if turned up.

I need that 4Hz base yo

Get some real monitors

For $300 I got a pair of mackie MR5's. Combined with my memey scarlett audio interface it sounds fantastic, even at high volumes for a whole house (trying to play over a full-on party however, it can't keep up that kind of volumes without thermal throttling)
I'd rather spend more for an 8" monitor pair for better bass clarity and high volume tolerance or just add a sub if I was just listening casually

>Budget
70 USD and under
>Location
USA
>Source
Headphone jack
>Type of headphone
Full size
>Open or closed
Doesn't matter

Something with a mic that's not shit quality and preferably has padding for the top of the head. They're gonna be desktop heaphones

>But all I need is one input.
One at a time perhaps, but you can't feed the amp with both the turntable and computer output at the same time.
>I'm afraid of the noise inside the soundcard/computer. Is that a legitimate concern?
Well, soundcards are not equal, as with computers. Some make more noise than others.
It is a potential issue, but if the HD 650 were as insensitive as you thought, you wouldn't get much noise either.
>D03K
Doesn't look better than okay as a DAC. Be aware that it doesn't accept USB data, optical and coax digital only.

>its better than your phones or computers
Not quite.
>behringer external usb dac/amp
The UCA202 with the junk headphone output?

>You're suppose to pair a JDS Labs ODAC with it.
No reason to do so, other than to move the converter module inside the amp chassis.

>better than okay
Better than middling

USB Mixer:
>DAC
>amp
>EQ
>Mixer
>multiple inputs
>one sexy package
Debate me

Will the Fiio K5 + E17K drive the DT880 600ohm?

Why the fuck would you get 600ohm headphones with no high-output equipment already?

QC35 or MDR1000X?

Purely on sound, otherwise they're the same.

Legit, get used sennheisers off of eBay.

Portapro

cheap and a good bang for your buck.
Using it for internet radio, user.

Anyone know of a (good) DAC/Amp or just an amp that has separate volume controls for the headphone and RCA outputs?
Budget would be around $200 usd or under

Like pic related, it's what I'm using now but it's pretty crappy and I'm looking to upgrade

Yes they are garbage but better than built into cheap phones, motherboards, laptops. But I dont suggest buying them, since fiio or eq. is the minimum.

>Reposting
My M50X's just broke. looking for the exact same experience but more comfortable. I got to the point where i couldnt wear them for longer than 15mins, even after replacing the pads.

I've looked into 598 Cs, and it looks decent. Thoughts? Anything better for ~$200?

hd6xx + smsl m3
or
hd600 + smsl m6
?

Very loudly.

>Measurements:
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/10/sony-mdr-1000x-bt-nc-over-ear-headphones.html
innerfidelity.com/content/outstanding-bose-quiet-comfort-35-wireless-noise-canceling-headphone-measurements

The response is pretty poor without ANC/Bluetooth active.
Digital operation activates the EQ which patches up major issues, but the EQ choice is still somewhat questionable, and they still aren't amazing. Could apply additional EQ of your own.

Which one is less bad in passive mode? Personally the Sony, I think, whereas I would say the Bose wins in active mode.

>Budget
$100-$280
>Location
USA
>Source
Mostly either phone or desktop
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Doesn't matter, whichever sounds better
>Comfort level
Comfy enough to wear for 8 hours at a time
>Sound signature
Don't care but probably have to go for bassy or v-shaped
>Past headphones
Never owned a pair of headphones over $20 except for the Ausdom M06 which I happen to like a lot especially because they're wireless, but bluetooth is too slow to use for playing something like CS:GO. I would prefer wireless but ultimately I want the best bang for my buck. I don't have a DAC nor do I want one so headphones that need those are out of the question too. I was thinking about HIFIMAN HE400S, anyone have experience with them?

>Budget
40-80 USD
>Location
USA
>Source
2.5 mm to 3.5 mm detachable headphone jack (to have the option to add a boom mic)
>Type of headphone
Over-ear fabric-padded preferred
>Open or closed
Closed for privacy
>Comfort level
Moderate, don't want the pads pressing on my ears, thus pressing my ears against my glasses
>Sound signature
closest to rich all around sound with clear bass
>Past headphones
Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Fury: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158200

So far looking at Sennheiser HD 439, but I have mixed feelings. Pic Related