What is the best messaging app and why is it LINE?

What is the best messaging app and why is it LINE?

>end to end encryption
>made by trustworthy japs with good security history
>accessible and used by normies
>you don't look like an autist for using it

literally no reason not to

Other urls found in this thread:

developers.linecorp.com/blog/?p=3679
alexrad.me/discourse/a-264-attack-on-telegram-and-why-a-super-villain-doesnt-need-it-to-read-your-telegram-chats.html
forest.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/714212.html
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.linecorp.linelite&hl=en
viber.com/en/about
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

take your marketing somewhere else, shill

As much as I want to, I am not going to force my friends on to some weird messaging service. I use the Facebook messenger because that's where my friends are.

My whole family uses it

Go back to shilling putin backed telegram because it's "safe"

LINE is for normies too.
See:

Conversations

>trusting ricejews

Communication thread?

My boss wants me to vet the merits of Skype for Business. I understand this is Sup Forums and they will discourage the adoption because of Microsoft so my question is, are there any free/GNU alternatives to Skype for Business?

>made by trustworthy japs
haha

you don't have a clue where they might fuck up of all places though, and that's the thing with them and internet technology

Wire
Not GNU server, but at least it's encrypted, unlike Skype. Why would you give the NSA all your data?

LINE is alright. I use it with a few /jp/ fags, /cgl/ fags, and a Sup Forumstard.

I appreciate that. I am not really in a position to be telling my boss what software to adopt altogether but I figured I might mention an alternative if Skype truly does not fit our needs.

Thanks a bunch.

my circle of Sup Forumstards uses it extensively.

is the group named "inner circle"?

I prefer pic related

Same with my group of weeaboo friends.

LINE has "encryption" too but it's likely nothing grand.

m-maybe

i like when fags say 'its likely (this)' or 'its likely (that)' it means i can discredit anything you say because you dont know. youre going off assumptions

it's actually very grand. They have a full write up here:

developers.linecorp.com/blog/?p=3679

kek
Sup Forums line group when, wait no that would be awful

Why not use Signal?

because signal isn't user friendly and you'll never convince anyone to use it.

What's not user friendly about signal? You just set it up with your number, do one two-factor authentication and you're good to go.

it's inconsistent due to it also sending regular text messages.

But does it have SMS support? And is it open source?

im certain that every post in this thread was made by OP, kys

Kek is here

>end to end encryption

Is line meme-encrypted to lure in pedos like the rest, or does it actually pin the counterparty keys?

Japanese Facebook is superior to Western Facebook.
I do trust their business model more. I know they make most of their money selling stickers.

Telegram is much better. Has many more features, secret chat, etc and much more usable

Line has cute anime girl stickers so it's great.

it's real encrypted, read

>putin backdoored non-forced end to end

good b8 m8

>The feature is only activated when all parties interacting have it present on their device. Initially, users must switch on encryption themselves — the setting is buried inside menus — which could impact the initial rollout. But Line plans to switch it on by default for all users soon, initially it is only default for those with one Android device registered to their account. There are plans to add encrypted sealing to Line for desktop and other operating systems over time, too.

so it's exactly like telegram? or not?

it's completely unencrypted

def line because you can talk to kawaii nihonjin cuties!

why Skype and not Slack? it's the corporate meme app

>read

I did. It mentions nothing about key authentication, so I'm assuming the worst. Intercepting single SMS is all it takes like most other IMs.

With MITM builtin, it's cargo cult crypto use at best,though intentional backdoor is more likely.

Skype works just fine for daily business stuff.

Slack is nice only for codemonkey teams - tools integration (github, code formatting etc).

Yes basically why it's good. Also has a client for nearly every platform and the Windows one keeps getting updated really nicely.

Compared side by side, tg probably wins. Has desktop client too, and it's a bit of a lesser resource hog.

Both are of course disaster privacy wise.

>Both are of course disaster privacy wise.
I don't care when I have Yuru Yuri stickers.

Telegram is shit not because of Russian connections (hi Fed shill), but because of custom-rolled crypto that's vulnerable to codebreaking and also the lack of default E2E crypto.

that's not kakaotalk op

>putin backdoored non-forced end to end
>backdoored
Nope. It's encrypted. Where the fuck did you get the idea that it's backdoored??
Besides there are NO messengers that arent backdoored in the West. Id rather the Russian govt have possible access than the NSA.

line has the best fucking stickers but it's not that popular in the us afaik. only have one friend on there

It has custom crypto with documented weaknesses making it vulnerable to nation state cryptanalysis. This would be a bigger issue if it wasn't for the lack of default E2E encryption and lack of available application that supports E2E encryption on most platforms.

>new fangled shit phone app crap
xmpp+otr is master race for a reason kid

slack is a fucking lovecraftian horror that needs to be eradicated and purged from this world by all that is good and holy.

>vulnerable
Nope

sad I had to install chromium on linux to get the chromeOS version of LINE, since there isn't a native LINE client

It's been enabled by default for almost a year user. Your snippet is from 2 years ago.

alexrad.me/discourse/a-264-attack-on-telegram-and-why-a-super-villain-doesnt-need-it-to-read-your-telegram-chats.html

Yep.

The only "issue" is that Line does not have a software for linux desktop.
There's the app for android, iOS. You can use Line with windows and OSX. But not from Linux.
Line.exe works pretty shitty on wine so I have give up and use it only through my phone...

You can use the LINE ChromeOS app on Linoox.

Not ideal but it works.

ok

Is this just a google chrome plug in?
I have found this : forest.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/714212.html

Is there a guide or something to install it?

literally no one outside of SK uses kakao, get that shit out of here

i traveled the world

it has forced me to have

>viber
>wechat
>line
>whatsapp
>kakao talk
>bbm

all installed for all my peeps

kakao is ok, viber sucks, i prefer line out of all of them, or wechat

I use regular SMS via Textra.

>tfw whole family uses facebook messenger and whatsapp
>"user why can't I find you on facebook?"
>"youre so weird why don't you have a facebook lol"
>"just install messenger so we can talk you don't need a facebook account"
>whatsapp asks for phone number

Yeah no, is line a botnet as well?

At least get him to use Slack

Yeah, it's so great how you can only have it installed on one mobile device at a time and it nukes all your data and records when you install it on a new device. Eat shit, Naver.

Also it was awful how long the desktop app lagged behind the mobile app in terms of functionality. Absolutely disgusting. But I live in Japland so it's impossible to avoid it, the drones here refuse to acknowledge the existence of any alternatives.

> Closed source
> Can't use on more than one device
> Retarded security features
> Fat app
> Keep getting unknown errors when logging in so can't even use it
> Requires phone number, and they actually ban voip numbers

No thanks

chromium / extensions / line

Every Taiwanese uses it, it's extremely bloated compared to other messaging apps but it has amazing anime stickers

It's less bloated than Skype.

It is made by Koreans actually.
Naver is the developer, biggest tech company from Korea.

WeChat (with the Chinese government)

BBM tho

it's probably the least bloated messaging app out there.

My problem with Telegram is that it isn't end-to-end encrypted by default. Other than that, Telegram is some great shit.

thanks todomatsu.

If you use a cellphone, everything is a botnet.

This is pretty much it. All my friends are using WhatsApp, I'm not going to try and make them switch to LINE

LINE might be for "normies" too, but if your friends aren't using it it's kinda worthless.

Though I don't completely trust it, WhatsApp does have end-to-end encryption, so it's certainly not a total loss. As many others have said, WhatsApp is just far, far more popular than LINE or any other app, so it doesn't really make much sense to use the other ones unless you're in the specific geographical area where one of them is popular. You're already making a sacrifice to use one of them by trusting the platform and I doubt that the biggest ones are really that much different from each other when it comes to privacy concerns.

>not using LINE Lite
Literally weighs less than 1 MiB.

>tfw all of my classmates uses it and I'll be fucked if I don't have it
B-but muh botnet

Why?

it's easy to convince friends to use it though when other normies use it and they probably know people who already use it, even if not as many.

>and it nukes all your data and records when you install it on a new device

Why is this a bad thing? That's how end to end encryption is supposed to work.

Also not true, you can you desktop LINE together with phone LINE. Though it also purges all chat on desktop if you reinstall on phone.

>end to end encryption
>retarded

Also use LINE Lite, it's super tiny.

>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer

>Posts random notifications
>uses plenty of resources in the backgrounds
>collects data on users
>constantly pings location
Sure man, great app.

Signal is what you're looking for

>location is end to end encrypted
>there's a lite version of the app

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.linecorp.linelite&hl=en

hello hats

>not Viber
>not the superior israeli app gone jap

Hats is a cucked faggot. Don't ever speak to me again.

Allo is pretty damn good.
Love it, wish more people used it.

Sure thing hats

>developers.linecorp.com/blog/?p=3679
From what it says there, I have a few comments:

The 'default' encryption uses one static RSA keypair, with bad (PKCS#1 v1.5! Hello Bleichenbacher!) padding.

The 'new' method uses ECDH with P-256 and (according to the diagram, if that's accurate?) AES-256-CBC MAC-then-Encrypt - bad start in there, MtE has a number of very nasty, subtle, can-bite-you-in-the-arse gotchas compared to something more foolproof like EtM. It's readily apparent, therefore, that despite the scant details, the protocol wasn't designed by anyone who knew what they were doing.

In neither method does there appear to be any forward secrecy or ratcheting at all. They're talking about one public keys, but I don't see any ephemeral keys in there? Another bad sign.

There is also no way of detecting a man-in-the-middle attack performed by the server - no method of fingerprint checking.

I'd need to examine the object code or an accurate specification to actually do a proper review and determine if it's pathologically bad (e.g. if it's omitting invalid-point attacks). But it's definitely not as good as Signal or WhatsApp.

It might be better than Telegram's MTProto, but I'm loathe to recommend it from the details so far.

It's got very cute weeb stickers, however.

The "default" encryption you mention doesn't exist anymore. The new E2E is default and can't be turned off.

I thought Sup Forums was a GNU/Linux board

Why is Sup Forums suggesting LINE?
A client without a native GNU/Linux client

Why is Sup Forums isn't using based Viber?
Viber has a native GNU/Linux made with Qt5

>blah blah encryption
Viber already has end-to-end encryption and there is no reason to think that it's in any way worse than other proprietary messaging encryption schemes
And if you care that much about encryption you shouldn't be using a proprietary messenger in the first place

>running Jewish software

They are Japanese now, they were bough from Rakuten, therefore just as trustworthy as LINE

>viber.com/en/about