Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13" Review

Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13" Review

Pics: imgur.com/a/gruNc

It's a very fast unit.

Keyboard and trackpad work well -- trackpad multitouch works almost as well as Apple's.

13" is roughly as thin as my 12" retina MacBook but is a little thicker; footprint is bigger because 13" vs 12".

Display quality is 9/10 - would prefer higher resolution but it's fine as is. Colors are rich, no major wash out seen so far. One word: vibrant.

Pretty killer computer.
Overall, 10/10 happy. For $900, I think this kicks the shit out of your thinkpads, competes with Apple with regard to hardware, and is a solid buy.

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/pc-oems-ditch-the-custom-touchpad-drivers-give-us-precision-touchpad/
amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-E5-575G-53VG-Laptop-Windows/dp/B01DT4A2R4
amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Convertible-Windows-R5-471T-50UD/dp/B01ER4ARCU
youtu.be/tZ38EoHQBz0
youtu.be/9qkKW-52FXg
youtu.be/BK2lZbYxflk
notebookcheck.net/Xiaomi-Mi-Air-13-3-inch-Notebook-Review.180561.0.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> trackpad multitouch works almost as well as Apple's
Lel. It's shit.

Nah. It's really solid, actually. Probably the best windows trackpad I've used.

Apple's is still superior, but this is a good second.

It's only just arrived, so I'm not sure about Linux yet; plan is to install Linux next and test further.

>Glossy screen
>tothetrash.pee-en-gee

>Xiaomi Mi Notebook
>linux
I thought it was locked

>sends all your information to then chinese government

Windows is getting there:
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/pc-oems-ditch-the-custom-touchpad-drivers-give-us-precision-touchpad/

Meanwhile Apple's trackpads are getting worse due to thinness constraints. They introduce Force Touch which fails at simulating a real click.

>even booting into windows on a new laptop before you install archlinux
>not geoblocking China with netfilters

Whats happening to my Sup Forums

Funny thing is, they talk about high end laptops yet my poverty Celeron laptop from 2014 features one of those and works extremely well.

What are some bad things about it?

The entire thing.

Show some BIOS uefi screens

>no Ethernet port
ITTIG

why's the glass so warped?

>They introduce Force Touch which fails at simulating a real click.
Ever actually tried it? If you didn't know any better you'd think that click was actually mechanical.

How do you like the MacBook? I was thinking of getting a pro

I wouldn't get a macbook at all unless you want to look like a hipster at a star bucks.

what's with windows laptops and huge bottom bezels. tasteless.

That's exactly what I want to look like

Beats letting the Murricans have it

Reseller price is too high though, you can get better windows laptops for cheaper and they have legit english windows and a warranty.

on a serious note. i hear it good for graphics and programming/web design

No.

Duh

Had to confirm it worked, didn't want to get chinked.

dank

Uh... its only 1920x1080, camera sucks but I won't use it. Not sure about much else yet as I've only had it about 2 hours.

Nah

What do you want to see?

things_that_arent_issues.gif

It's not, it's just a reflection in the pic.

Confirmed

I love it. It's hands down my favorite computer, ever. Opt for the M7 edition, it's worth the extra cost.

That's what I enjoy doing, so --

Agreed

$900 is fair and is the price on Xiaomi's site. I paid $900 from gearbest with $2.80 for 2-day DHL shipping.

I also plan to run Linux on this, so I'm not bothered by the Windows issue. I do a Win10 ISO I can use, though, if the desire comes about.

>I also plan to run Linux on this
>GeForce GT 940MX

You picked the wrong kind of laptop to run linux on.

amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-E5-575G-53VG-Laptop-Windows/dp/B01DT4A2R4

First laptop I found when I googled the CPU and GPU of the xiaomeme.

I'm sorry but you got chinked.

nah

disagree. thats 15.6" and much heavier. that's not what I'm interested in at all.

>blocking chinese IPs on hardware level. Yeah, enjoy carrying a dedicated firewall box for that purpose.

it looks like shit though

Here's arch

>disagree. thats 15.6" and much heavier. that's not what I'm interested in at all.

amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Convertible-Windows-R5-471T-50UD/dp/B01ER4ARCU

Chinked.

god that keyboard looks so awful. how do you people type with that shit? I'm sure the specs are fine but i'd have to get a seperate KB

>how do you people type with that shit?
By not being autistic

does it have any branding on the top cover?

Implying I want that shit, either.

I don't want your shitty Acer laptops and I especially don't want a "convertible" laptop.

Fuck off, faggot.

correct.

no.

Stop posting these shit and ugly laptops you nigger

install gentoo

>the look of a laptop is worth more than 300$
lel

I'm just showing how you can find laptops with the same specs and form factor for a lot less money.

>Same specs
Where's the GT 940MX on the Acer?

That second one is especially shit
>no dedicated gpu
>no pcie ssd
>no ddr4
>3200mAh

Soon enought you will complain about batterylife. I love my 12.5 inch but fuck that 4 hours web browser time.
On another note do you know how to use Fn + F key for function?

>battery
>dedicated gpu
>is going to use linux on his chinked laptop
>muh chink pci-e ssd that has at best the same performance as a cheap sata one
>all of this is worth more than 300$ (it's not)

Your xiaomeme is going to have at best 4 hours of battery life and dedicated GPU performance on par with the integrated intel but with added bugs and crashes if you use linux.

well, it's been running over 4 hours at this point and still have 78% left. I think I'm fine.

>apple's is superior
I've used apple trackpads, and they're shit 99% of the time. Almost all of them that I have used have developed that bugged-as-fuck-while-not-charging problem.

Sounds like the common denominator in all of those issues is you.

15 inch when? Staring at tiny fonts all my life has ruined my vision.

I have the 12.5" version myself, loving my memebook so far. Can you make it so that the Fn and F keys function like normal laptops instead of needing to constantly press fn + esc to switch? This is one of the two things that's been bothering me.

I...ended up getting this as well from gearbest. Placed order today.
These are the most decent reviews for it that I found. Basically all by the same dude.

Unboxing
youtu.be/tZ38EoHQBz0
Full review
youtu.be/9qkKW-52FXg
Gaming
youtu.be/BK2lZbYxflk

TLDR:
>CPU doesn't throttle. Ever. But GPU will under heavy loads
>Does get hot at the top
>Battery life is average, XPS 13 has about twice the battery size.
>7 hours of web browsing
>You can add more SSD memory, but ram is not expandable
>le opens with one hand meme
>really light
>All in all pretty good for the specs and performance but price gouged to hell.

Some things to note:
-Yes you will need to install or reinstall windows unless you speak Chink. This requires buying a new license.
-Warranty is a real fucking mess since it's not intended for international markets.
-Gold colored versions are insanely hard to find, this thing sold out almost instantly in China, hence price bump.
-It originally sells for around $750 in Chinkland
-It has no CE label, so if you decide to get this in Europe be mindful that customs might seize it and tell you to go fuck yourself.

Would still go a Carbon X1 or Surface book personally.

But chink shit is cheaper.

Also forgot to mention:

PAJEETS ARE FUCKING THIRSTY FOR THIS THING

Every single goddamn news article about it has angry Pajeets wishing it came out in India

>-It has no CE label, so if you decide to get this in Europe be mindful that customs might seize it and tell you to go fuck yourself.
:(

I am in nazitown and it looks breddy sweet. Would put ubuntu on that mofucker

>cant' even with arch

What's wrong with that card for Linux?

nvidia

They love chink shit and I have no idea why. Poor?

>price to performance

We dont care about what fancy label it has. if it works and is the cheapest, then that will be successful here.

Xiaomi is the chink version of Apple. No ordinary chink company could get this much attention.

Nice try, that's grub.

K

Hold on, this is a black version? Does it exist?

What's the screen resolution?

no, just weird lighting/angle

Trackpads suck, why don't more computers use a nipple like a professional laptop?

Ew. It reeks of knock-off cheapness.

don't understand why people buy laptops with glossy screens

> I paid $900 from gearbest

did they ask for your ID? and proof of credit card?

yes. all of the other Macs in my house think so, too.

because I don't like shitty displays.

ID, yes; card, no.

>These are the most decent reviews for it that I found
As a side note. TechTablets specializes in chinky hardware reviews.

Honestly can't say I hate it?
The reviews at least cut out the bullshit and he's got his little niche of things to review.

A journalist from heise / c't tried to get one for a review, and customs said: Nope. No CE sign, no import. Do you want to destroy it or send it back?

c't 21/2016, S. 102

What would be the best way to assure successful shipping to the UK?

>locked keylogger windows
>can't install loonix
you got memed

Pay shipping insurance if you get it from gearbest. Its an extra $18 but they'll send you a new one if the package arrives damaged, at no extra cost.

>screen where you see more what is behind you and yourself than what's running
no thanks
I'll stick with my T420

Trackpoints are a meme and only useful if your fingers are glued to home row.

>Acer
>not chink
topkek

for starters that intel sticker looks like shit.

Trackpoints are significantly better, especially when space is constrained. When space is not an issue, a mouse is better than a trackpad anyway.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ips where MUH COLOR ACCURACY and MUH VIEWING ANGLES outweigh MUH ANTI GLARE and MUH CONTRAST.

Fuck outta here tyrone.

Maybe the old ThinkPads but not my P50

Keyboard looks like utter shit. Why no one cares about comfortable input nowadays?

>better than thinkpad
lol no

this thing has no warranty

Good idea, thanks. Would that also cover if it got seized by customs due to lack of CE label?

Where can I get one in Europe?

powerplanetonline

I'm happy with mine so far. I'm actually wondering if I would've been okay with the 12.5" over the 13" but I guess it doesn't matter now.

I almost went 12.5 but the specs were a fair bit worse than my 12" retina MacBook and I already had a 12" laptop, so I didn't get it.

The gtx 940mx was also interesting to me. I don't think I'll game on this, ever, but it's fun to entertain the idea if the desire is ever there.

Arch and ubuntu are both currently installed. I had no issues with either and everything has worked out of the box.

Can't speak for the windows install which was wiped after confirming the system worked as expected. It was likely back-doored out the asshole as expected.

Please do.

Nah. It's objectively aesthetic. You just are part of the pleb club which can't afford metal computers.

Please enjoy your 12-year-old chinkpad.

Keyboard is fantastic. Nice level of travel, clicky, comfy.

Get real.

Yes.

Wrong

I'm not sure, sorry. I suppose you could risk buying from one of the Chinese sites like I did. I've read about some EU buyers having success where customs didn't flag their packages, but that's a crap shoot.

Can you get a warranty from a chink site? Xiaomi won't respect the warranty of this laptop outside of China.

You can stop shilling now pajeet, thinkpads will always be better

Lel. Look at the reflection in the pics. Whiter and more handsome than you'll ever be, faggot.

Afaik, gearbest offers a warranty for a year. If it breaks in under a year, I'll just run a charge back on my CC and claim the mfg refuses to help me.

dumb pajeet talking about non existent reflections

your chinkbook will be dead in a month, or display completely fucked.

lets see some benchmark comparisons, picture don't mean shit.

Pretty glowing review here:

notebookcheck.net/Xiaomi-Mi-Air-13-3-inch-Notebook-Review.180561.0.html

IPS and matte coating aren't mutually exclusive.

Capacitive touch and matte coating are, but touchscreens are a bad idea on non-convertible laptops anyway.

doubtful. Made with the same Samsung, intel, Nvidia components as the rest.

don't forget your Thinkpad is really a chinkpad, too

google them. I'm not going to spoon feed you, cunt face.

no surprise

agree.

For 900 bucks you're so close to the Dell XPS 13 it's still to buy the Xioami

To be fair, the P50 probably weighs twice as much. How does this compare with an X1 Carbon instead?

Fuck off with your chink shit shill, nobody wants shitaomi