Im looking for a gamig PC on a budget. I live in Canada, so electronics are marked up 30% more than in the US

Im looking for a gamig PC on a budget. I live in Canada, so electronics are marked up 30% more than in the US.

I've narrowed it down to these two products:

dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-3656-desktop/pd?oc=di3656_bt1_b301e&model_id=inspiron-3656-desktop

dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-3650-desktop/pd?oc=di3650_ft1_s201e&model_id=inspiron-3650-desktop

The first PC is 699+plus tax, AMD A10-8700P Quad Core APU with Radeon R6 Graphics and a discrete R9 360 w/ 2GB DDR5. It also has a 2TB HDD with 8GB DDR @1600MHZ up to 16GB

The second is 599 plus tax. It has a 6th gen i5-6400 with integrated graphics, same 8GB DDR3 @1600MHZ, but with a 1TB HDD

Now I’m having a hard time choosing. How do the two PCs measure up against each other? I know the AMD ships overclocked, but the intel has hyper threading. The AMD has integrated and discrete graphics, but the INTEL is cheaper. If I were to pick up this card:

newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487055

Would I have a PC with essentially the same specs as the AMD pc.

I have also heard that Intel motherboards are more versatile. Is it true that with the I5 PC I could just put an i7 in eventually if I chose, whereas with the AMD PC I could not?

There is also some discrepancies with the information posted on dell’s site for the PC with the I5. The manual and specs sheet say it has discrete graphics.

See here: downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3650-desktop_reference guide_en-us.pdf
Some of the comments hint at this as well. However the specs overview does not mention this. Ill contact dell regarding this I suppose.
If it does not have discrete graphics, will it support the card I linked above? I can not find the power supply wattage anywhere on the site. The card linked requires at least 300W though. Also, I should buy a low profile card, correct?

Many thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Wyh7vV
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100019096 4016 601190702 4017&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36
newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006737 4016 601190702 601190704&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just build one

Go Intel, whatever you do. Though I'd not recommend a prebuilt; instead, build your own out of used components from eBay (most American sellers will ship to Canada, and the increased shipping still should be less than buying new from Canadian retailers.)

for $600 you can build something solid.

Not in Canada. Building this would cost pretty much the same.

Also, on building. I have hand tremors. I am extremely nervous about mounting and applying paste to a CPU/ on board GPU. I had to do this to one of my shit toshiba laptops. The gpu was about 5/5mm. Applying paste to the chip was extremely hard. I ended up shorting out the caps around the GPU because of it, luckily this didnt frk the motherboard, just the board the GPU is soldered to.

If you're not overclocking, you can use the Intel stock cooler. It's just a matter of aligning it over the CPU and pushing the plastic pins through the board. I'm sure someone with Parkinson's could do it just fine. The paste is pre-applied so no need to worry about that.

Perhaps.

I've been researching shipping from US to Canada. Apparently theres no duty on consumer electronics shipped from the US to Canada. Just sales tax. Odd considering the duty on clothes is 30%

There's also customs which will be quite a bit, though.

See

You will not be playing any games other than minecraft on either of these

Ok looks like im commited to building, what can I build on a 600-700 Cad budget? (450-520 USD)

Im willing to put off the video card for now.

>450-520 USD
Do you have any parts from an existing rig that you can reuse (i.e. hard drive, RAM, etc.)? That'll make the cost a bit cheaper. On that budget I can't see a terribly outstanding GPU though.

Best bang for the buck is the 470, XFX and Sapphire make good ones. I got a ASUS 480 4gb for like 180 on sale last week, super happy with it.

Whatever you do, go Intel. /pcbg/ can help you more, but AMD is generally ass especially is games like Planetside 2 where its often cpu bottlenecked

Here's something to consider. Even got you a starter GPU all for around 700 CAD. Keep in mind shipping will add to that.
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Wyh7vV

57435549 here. Just realised that it's over budget until you add rebates in. In that case, you may choose to save by only getting 8GB of RAM. Many say that having 16 is a meme anyway.

Yeah, im buying the case in canada due to shipping costs., everything else will be US probably.

Its perfectly fine. Im looking for something jsut to start off. I usually buy latops. I want a desktop due to the ease of upgrading and replacing components when they break.

Im sick of replacing laptop components. Especially screens, which are becoming to thin to tand up to anything but the lighest abuse. I have a 10 year old dell note book that still works fine. My 2 year old toshiba laptop has already had the screen replaced and the HDD replaced.

Building is a good option, but what about used? Take a look at eBay, look for Dell Precision workstation, HP Z-series workstation, Lenovo 'Thinkstation'. You ought to be able to get something a few generations old that's still decent for $600.

Will an i3 6300 @ 3.8GHZ be acceptable?

Also im a little confused, Im looking up i5-6400's some are listed at 2.7Ghz and others at 3.320GHz

the specs say the same thing ''Intel Boxed Core I5-6400 FC-LGA14C 2.70 Ghz 6 M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I56400'' but the prices are different. Am i missing something here, or is just sellers trying to artifically add value?

id say buy the i5 6400 prebuilt pc and then buy a graphics card to stick inside of the prebuilt
youll be limited to something thats low power though as the prebuilts have shitty power supplies most of the time that barely keep your system alive

I think you will find building a desktop to be a pleasure then. Laptops are finicky, fragile, and just so damn annoying to work on.

Even with tremors you'll probably enjoy the space afforded, larger parts, and not having a bunch of bits you feel liable to break with a wrong application of pressure.

Buying a refurbished prebuilt then installing a dedicated GPU like an RX 460 or 1050 Ti would be a better option.

newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100019096 4016 601190702 4017&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

Newegg us doesnt ship to canada. All computer retailers with a presense in both countries do this.

i5 one.

newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006737 4016 601190702 601190704&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

So I got all my components together. I managed a build slightly better than the $599 Inspiron.

Here are my components...Video card will be handled at a later date.

CPU:I5-6500 FC-LGA14C 3.20 Ghz 6 M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151

Mainboard:GIGABYTE GA-H110M-A (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel H110

HDD: 1TB WD

8GB of DDR4 @2133Mhz for now

A Sata DVR/R

EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W PSU

A random ATX case with 3 fans, doubt ill need those, but it was cheap.

My biggest concern is the motherboard, Ram seems fine, it can handle up to 32GB. Theres only one pci slot though to my knowledge, what will this support video card wise?

Also, for some reason my laptops GPU came back to life.

Also, total cost including shipping and taxes is 671.14 vs 688.85 for the inspirion.

Ill need an os though, i might just install debian.

>AMD
>Lenovo
>Chinese Government BIOS backdoors

Kek, im new at this, not an idiot by any means though,

If you are on a budget a used computer might be great

>only one pci slot
Actually, your board doesn't have any PCI slots. It has one PCI-E x16 (for your GPU) and two PCI-E x1 (for other cards). PCI slots are only found in legacy hardware.
It looks like you didn't choose a GPU. And it also looks like your motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics. Just beware that you might need to get something cheap for the time being.

The board supports igpu. Hes ok as far as that goes you pedantic twat.
Acceptable choices with your parts list. Johnnyguru (Google it) will let you know what he thinks about your psu. The "h" chipset is more for business purposes, look for a "b" mobo for consumer use, although h would still work.

For the os if you just have to have winders look to kinguin or reddit/microsoft swap(or something) for $20-30 Windows keys. You're welcome.