Okay, guys...

Okay, guys, I'm tired of being a wagecuck and want to become a Linux Sys Admin and earn decent cash while not having to work stupid long hours. What books do I need to download to teach myself how to become a good admin and get my certs? I've already got CentOS and Fedora on virtual machines so I'm feeling my away around Red Hat.

Other urls found in this thread:

access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-enterprise-linux/
amazon.com/RHCSA-Linux-Certification-Study-Seventh/dp/0071841962
nostarch.com/howlinuxworks2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>wagecuck
>Linux Sys Admin
they're the same bra

access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-enterprise-linux/

amazon.com/RHCSA-Linux-Certification-Study-Seventh/dp/0071841962

Study for rhcsa

Learn bash and python scripting

Learn ansible

Learn AWS

You're now employable by everyone to earn 90k+

Ok neet

The listings I see for my area are offering 75k at the very least and say the job is a 9-5. I've been wage slaving and working 60+ hours a week for less than 60k/year. You don't know what it is to be a wagecuck.

>I don't want to be a wagecuck any more
>I want to be a wagecuck
God damn fucking retard

Being a sysadmin isn't as glorious as it may seem, your a virtual janitor.

That being said, there is a ton of cert factories with low standards out there causing a huge devaluation on certs in general. I work at a medium sized business, and we will typically either look for a referral (how we hire most people) or some sort of degree now. We haven't been too picky about associates vs bachelors but if we get a lot of applicants I am sure they'd filter the associates out.

Oh yea, I will probably never be able to fill out all the "job requirements" on a job posting and neither would any other sysadmin I have met before. Do not let that stuff scare you. HR loves to fill it with a bunch of crap a majority of the time, mainly because they get 10+ sysadmins opinion for one position.

Interested in this as well, I don't have any work experience in IT, I'm thinking of driving up to datacenters and ISPs and seeing if they are hiring, is this a good strategy?

Don't you get paid overtime? Then the problem is that you are not unionised, you are going to get fucked by your boss the rest of your life no matter what you do if you don't fix that.

Do you have to do helpdesk before you become a jr. sysadmin?

No

I'm working in a call center right now, bud, virtual janitor is a step up.

My previous job had unlimited overtime at half the pay-rate. The pay-rate was $12/hour.

nostarch.com/howlinuxworks2

start with a debian minimal install, work through that book, covers the essentials, like memory usage, partition in detail and in depth
which is essential plus some networking too, it's the perfect linux book i guess, you'll prob know abit more about the internals in linux
than most sysadmins which will prob help you in your interview too, most of all being completely comfortable with linux will make the job
better too.

then once youre comfy with linux, look at the linux sysadmin world, learn what questions they ask etc, just dive in and
look at linux course books, you know the ones with the cert names on just to make sure you understand all of that, but make sure
you practice practice, then do your certs, then when youre at your interview you should be able to answer any question
and look good with your certs. good luck, its gonna be kinda difficult.

>sysadmin
>9-5

This looks like it's for Linux beginners, the whole reason I'm interested in becoming a sys admin now is because I've been using using Linux for about 7 years now and know most of the basics of how it works.

That's what the listings say!

It depends on the company. If you work in a "delivery center" type company who is just sell the sysadmins time for other companies then 24/7 shift will be there. Or 9 to 5 but with night/weekend oncall support, I hate that shit. But if you work for a small company, where the IT hasn't been outsourced yet, you can be lucky and have 9 to 5 without oncall support.

Is this literally all there is to it?

>Linux Sys Admin
>decent cash
>not having to work stupid long hours

You're a liberal, I can tell because you're clueless.

Enlighten me

Salary and working hours don't define a wagecuck. Working for a boss does.

If you don't want to be a wagecuck you should start your own business.

You meant "You're now employable as an entry level sysadmin because you have literally no experience and no idea what the fuck you are actually doing", right?

For people who a unix/linux sysadmins, how did you get that position?