We don't have a retro thread

We don't have a retro thread.

Let's see those retro computers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IztxeoHhoyM
youtube.com/watch?v=CzZOiW7hBSk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Serious Question:

Do you guys actually use these things for anything, or do you just like having them setup as a type of decoration? Nothing wrong with it being a decoration, but I always see people posting images of it being in use and I have a hard time believing anyone actually uses these things for anything more than a few minutes as a novelty.

youtu.be/IztxeoHhoyM

Aesthetic as fuck

Look closer to that image. You'll see it gets used.

Is the XT worth getting?

every thread

>5150.jpg
That's an 5170

That's an AT, but yes, it's great fun.

Fuggin mint quadra mate. Keep it outta the sun!

>Let's see those retro computers.
then post your p0rn

Could you possibly piggyback a 8284A, bend up all the output pins, connect a separate crystal oscillator and bend up the CPU CLK pin and feed the CLK from the piggybacked 8284A directly to the CPU?
Giving the CPU it's own frequency and leaving other components at stock.

So Sup Forums, when are you making your own computer from off-the-shelf components?

Raspberry Pi builds don't count.

More something like these old bad boys.

I'm more into restoring old shit then doing something from scratch.

What sort of stuff you restored?

I have some not-so-old laptops I intend restoring at some point.
And parts of really old shit I got via some businesses, like some dock for a Sony laptop, floppy drives and such.
Not sure what I will do with those though. Probably just put them on Ebay or something. I have no use for them.

Actually, I always forget I have this, but a really old external CD drive on top of a PC.
I have stuff sat on top of and the side of it, so much so that I forget it even exists unless I am over that side of the room.
Thing is about 75% length of a standard PC case today.
I was considering gutting the insides and putting a small computer inside of it, then anchoring a USB disc drive to the front panels ejection system somehow.
Never got around to it. Not even sure if the thing still works either. Come to think of it, I don't even think I have used the damn thing once. Where the fuck did I even get this thing from?

>What sort of stuff you restored?

Anything that needed it.
Today with ordering parts online and schematics being widely available just a google search away, it's just the trouble of turning on the soldering iron.

>I have some not-so-old laptops I intend restoring at some point.
Have fun!

>Actually, I always forget I have this, but a really old external CD drive on top of a PC.
Pics? Sounds interesting, especially a unit this size.

user, I always enjoy seeing your computer. 11/10

I won't be able to get a pic of it now.
But I will later.

Shit looks awful, that awful creamy light orange crap.
I think it might have been one of the first lines of USB external hardware.

What would be really cool is fitting a screen on to to the disc tray, and stuffing a small computer inside.
Eject to open screen and turn it on.
Yeaah boy.

>filename
>wrong model
obviously not hes

They are not used for anything, besides jerking off, and pretending to "fit in" with other 20 year olds online who have fallen for the age meme. It's the definition of meming, they don't know what it is, don't know what to do with it, and it will never find a use, but it's highly important they drop a few grand to repeat what someone else did and get the same psuedo-collection.

This is exactly the same as /vr/'s earthbound club in which they drop $500+ for a cart, don't have a snes, don't want one, have never played the game, never will, and then form this internet cool kids club on why they're the most superior earthbound fans. This isn't about technology or "preference" but really the manifestation of them failing in their own time, so the next step is to go find some other time and pretend to inhabit that.

guess you're too dumb to install dos from floppies, huh

winimage is so hard to use

> I just never quite got my head around autoexec.bat, and that makes me angry.

>drop a few grand
U fooking wot m9? This shit is not worth anywhere near that much unless it is exceptionally rare (scarcity pushes prices up, be it watches or comic books) and if you are the sort of fucklord who will pay $500 for a waterlogged microbee, then you deserve everything you have coming.

That AT cost me 80 quid, they are selling for over 500 now, it was a solid investment.

Hello Justin, still no life?

I still play Civilization II on my Power Mac. I probably COULD just pirate the Windows version, but something about the CD is so comfy.

I love this Quadra

>A few grand

Yeah, that's what my computer cost... in 1995. Nowadays only something like an IBM 5100 would cost that kind of money, and it might just be worth it, unless you bought it for the obvious El Psy Congroo meme, in which case you are still an idiot.

Where's the dick/Nokia N9?
3/10

This used to run my RTTY setup October when a coil in the mains transformer went short, killed off the PSU and half the board logic. Until it died, it had seen 17 years of continual use. I have repaired the PSU but the board will take some time.

I once paid $30 for a system I personally tested as working, pretty much everything else was scrounged from dumpsters or acquaintances.
Thanks for bait senpai.

Here, OP be stealing my photos again.

noice

I have spend ~1000€ on some of my systems, are you jelly I can afford to support my hobbies and enjoy them?

More pics of Mac?

Anybody?

You'd be better off asking

People here tend to know more about old computer hardware.

bumping for interests

>mfw the seller finally shipped the replacement keyboard for my iBook A FULL MONTH AFTER THEY SAID THEY WOULD. This isnt some dude flipping shit from his extra room, but an actual refurb/reseller/outlet.

Also, I'm still procrastinating on RAM for my TiBook and tower, and SSDS for my TiBook and iBook (and maybe my G40), and 3 120GB HDDS for my Gigabit tower (would get bigger ones but they arent supported). Maybe next month once my lease is renewed so i dont buy all that shit and then end up tossing the computers because im living in a van.

Topkek, that fucking sucks.

Also, pics?

Woo, nice user.
Is it resistive?

Closest thing i have to a pic of all my shit together. I need to fuck with my router again so my wifi works with my TiBook again or i would be posting from it right now. Never unplug shit once it works or It'll never work again when you plug it in it seems.

>Never unplug shit once it works or It'll never work again when you plug it in it seems.
kek

Most tactile.

youtube.com/watch?v=CzZOiW7hBSk

Thank you for the free advertising. Here, have the full-res thumbnail as your reward.

Have a sub, you furry faggot.

Every ad-enabled view of yours is worth 0,55 cents to me. Thank you.

That's great, I love videos of that kind.

Watch consume watch consume watch consume click adverts buy consume watch

I used to have a collection Sup Forums would lose its shit over. About 80 computers including some really crazy stuff like a DEC Rainbow, Mac Portable, Australian Commodore 64 clone, Sinclair QL, etc.

Sold them all when I realized I was become a slave to my possessions.

Just finished installing a Sound Blaster 16 into this badboy, works like a threat!
Sorry, forgot to take pictures before putting the case on.

FM synthesis, MPU and OPL3 all work.

I don't mind it consuming me, they are my hobby since I can remember.

Got some pics? Sounds interesting

Considering trying to convince my dad to let me have my grandma's Macintosh Plus. How much of a bitch is it to make Syatem 7 discs off a modern mac/Linux OS?

Installing System 6 or System 7.0.1 onto an older Mac is only possible using floppy disks, and the first step to installing System 7.5 is usually “boot from a floppy”. These floppies are distilled into disk images you can download from the Web. When written to a floppy, these images create exact copies of the master disks.

Due to physical differences between Mac and PC floppy drives, 800K double density Mac floppies can only be written by other vintage Macs. This means that boot disks for a Mac 128K, 512K, 512Ke, Plus, pre-FDHD SE, or un-upgraded Mac II cannot be made on a Mac OS X, Linux, or Windows machine. (All other vintage Macs have a 1.4 MB SuperDrive or FDHD [Floppy Disk, High Density] floppy drive, which is compatible with modern computers.)

There might be some programs that can write Macintosh floppy images on PC, google, but I don't think they are bootable. Haven't tried it though.

Is this guy actually you furry?

Kinda personal question, how old are you?
You really keep your machines setups time correct.

>it was a solid investment.

Welp, this scene is dead. People are starting to consider these machines an "investment". This signals the end of fun.

It was fun while it lasted, boys.

Glad to hear you got it working.
I have to take proper pics of my XT. In the meanwhile, have a capture of something I recorded earlier today with my VHS-C camera.

I'm never selling it, its just good to know that its not depreciating in value.

Thanks!

That's fucking awesome, it's like straight from the 80's

Do you have brain damage?
That's fucking awesome. Didn't guess that level of tidiness from someone whose 21.

Get that Deskpro away from me, the pain of BIOS setup floppies.

Retro is borderline degeneracy.

Just use an emulator for fuck sakes.

If you want a tinker system, use a [SINGLE BOARD COMPUTER]

But old systems are just not worth it unless you have an honest to goodness museum, or are some sort of educator.

yes, you're completely different from anyone shouting eternal september, "fun" here means "pretending to be better than everyone else".

thanks to you hipsters psuedo inflating the market, I can go into thrift stores with a smartphone (RAGE) and look up everything to see the "value" of it. sometimes there's a $3 game or VHS that was almost thrown away that is worth $50 now because hipsters say so. before they go you can rip images of them and play them properly on an emulator. One of my favorite items is the gamecube. For some reason one of my local thrift stores has one every time, it usually goes for $20 and I put it on ebay and slap on RETRO VINTAGE COOL PROFESSIONALLY RESTORED, yes the kids who had them at the time have started forming their gay nostalgia around them yet won't download dolphin even though it's one of the best emulators ever, because "muh feel" meme. Also the BLACK LABEL versions of the same game go for $30 more than their "pleb best seller yellow sticker" counterpart, because reasons.

since I buy the gamecube every time, the people at that store know me as "the gamecube kid", they think I collect gamecubes or something. I swear I'm going to take a trip and hit major cities with a rented truck and turn this into a business.

Emulators are a no-go for retroshits because they have to visually show how superior they are to everyone else. The psuedo reasons are the same ones you see on /vr/ as they spend $300+ on N64 flashcarts to play OOT, "muh feel", "muh hardware", "muh shitty controller". This is all just to have a made up excuse to not use an emulator because this isn't about the game or technology, it's about pretending to be superior to everyone. Notice how they have to have a camera lying around always, to take the same picture over and over again. /vr/ turds also are known to take pictures of their flashcart, and always bring it up, and play the most common pointless games. Same shit different board.

There are clues.

>IBM keyboard for a Mac
>Not an AEK II

Finally posting on Sup Forums again?

lol you're such a ridiculous faggot

kill yourself

>Not an AEK II
You ever typed on one of those things? It's mushier than your fat ass.

>Emulators are a no-go for retroshits because they have to visually show how superior they are to everyone else.
Pretty much. These faggits obsess about their old hardware. They don't even care about gaming - a lot of which is frankly shit on old systems. They just want to be hipsters who have something that other people don't have. Newsflash retro-faggits: you don't have a life.

The ones with ALPS switches? I think not.

>I think not.
Without exception, every apple keyboard has been shit

hehe siemens

With the ATI card?

Topkek, I love faggots like these guys, the irony is so hot it burns

hello there.

It took 4 months of searching but I finally have a shitbox to myself.

>tfw playing hundreds of late DOS/early Windows games I missed out on, that can't be DOSboxed, and all piss easy to pirate/found at thrift stores for a dollar each

I haven't touched anything modern in a week and a half now.

I'll bite, irony how?

If you aren't aware - you buy an N64 flashcart to play expensively rare games like CBFD, or obscure japanese games that you can't get at any price and also won't work on emulator due to how they were made. Dropping cash on an N64 flashcart and then playing ocarina of time and taking pics of the flashcart is the most hipster made up secret club shit you can do.

point is, you look at this and say, what a bunch of fags, but it's just a shade away from spending hundreds on a collection of inherited nostalgia (isn't even yours) garbage which you just take pictures of and don't do anything with.

>that can't be DOSboxed
nigger what
can't you run dos in virtualbox if all else fails?

Anything won't run in dosbox if you don't want it to because you don't even try to validate the hardware purchase. Watch this:

List the games that you wanted to play!

>he won't

Virtualbox's support for DOS and legacy versions of Windows is complete and utter shit.

DOSBox and QEMU are really your only options.

wear better clothes

why?

Being a hipster is hard work.

shitposting also

Neat, glide quake?

All those butthurt jellyfags in this thread, my face hurts from the keks.

it's just all 'murican lefties and liberals who are letting off some steam

68-pin to 50-pin SCSI adapter arrived today!

Wub wub wub
17GB at 15K RPM and 8MB cache

dat screen

^_^ if you want I can share .psd

Thanks, I should make it the BIOS splash screen.

it could be if you are buying them from ebay. old tech can be found from dumpsters for free

>old tech can be found from dumpsters for free
Maybe 10 years ago, sadly now everybody is trying to make a buck on JewBay.

I don't live in the US, mostly get shit for a few bucks off local sites.

you just need to know places)

Manuals have arrived.