/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread - ELECTION DAY EDITION

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers

PS: IT'S ELECTION DAY. REMEMBER TO GO OUT AND VOTE FOR CANDIDATES WHO WILL DEFEND YOUR FREEDOM!

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_bridge#With_iproute2
secure.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.webserver.php
twitter.com/wikileaks/status/355634896632414208
gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-POSIX-Mode.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tripfagging
>>>/reddit/

Cons and pros of Kubuntu?

>PS: IT'S ELECTION DAY. REMEMBER TO GO OUT AND VOTE FOR CANDIDATES WHO WILL DEFEND YOUR FREEDOM!

There isn't such a candidate.

Pros:
It's not complete shit.

Cons:
KDE Neon is better in every way.

Hi friends!

What distribution of Linux are YOU running? What's your favorite window manager / desktop environment? And gcc or clang? Vim or emacs or something else?

GuixSD

GNOME

GCC

EMACS

linux-libre
openbox
gcc
vim

>failed republicans
lolno, you meant Bernie Sanders

lmfao
and why the f*ck am I not surprised?

I guess you're too young to know the meme of a seemingly ancient time.

What would be the Linux equivalent to an executable on windows?
If there is such a thing

ELF

What does /fglt/ think of OpenSUSE? Thinking about giving it a try.

A binary with an executable permission.

independent researcher here
>you're too young
>b*rnie supporter
yep, your hypothesis checks out

Didn't hear any bad things. Go ahead.

It doesn't have GNU in its name so I'd wager it isn't all that bad. At least you can't say that without even installing it first

How behind are leapfrog releases compared to tumbleweed?

>>>/9gag/

What distribution has "GNU" in it's name you fucking birdbrain?

can you guys go shitpost on ?

*How far behind are leap releases compared to tumbleweed?

>can't even properly format his posts
Debian GNU/Linux

Is there a way to make the system disable my computer speakers whenever I plug in my headphones? You'd think such a thing would be enabled by default.

any good themes for xscreensaver unlock screen so it doesn't look so 1990ish

nice photoshop skills you got there, here's the original

I need to make a UEFI bootable USB, but when making it on my MBR-formatted laptop with dd, it only seems to boot in legacy BIOS mode. Any tips?

That man isn't a cuck who loves sluts. Maki is a gigantic slut.

>Debian GNU/Linux

That's not it's official name and if it is ever mentioned that way is to distinguish it from the other systems Debian supports that aren't GNU/Linux like GNU/kFreeBSD.

GNone

Works on my machine with Pulseaudio.

I have the latest version of Pulseaudio, but it still doesn't work.

Reposting in the new thread since I haven't been able to figure this out yet.

I'm trying to set up a virtual machine with QEMU/KVM. The host machine runs Arch, the guest Debian.

I've been trying to set up an internet connection on the guest VM but without success. Leaving the default networking configuration on when launching the vm, I simply get 100 % packet loss when trying to ping something. I have a Windows 7 vm too but that one works flawlessly.

I heard I should set up a bridge, but I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I attempted to set up a bridge using this: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_bridge#With_iproute2 tutorial, but every time I set my normal network interface (eno1 in my case) have it's master as br0, a bridge I just created, the internet on the host machine stop's working.

Any help would be much appreciated!

>if it is ever mentioned that way is to distinguish it from the other systems Debian supports that aren't GNU/Linux like GNU/kFreeBSD.
Nope. GNUtards call it that in these threads but I guess you're new so you didn't really notice

You again?

>Networkmanager literally stores your wifi passwords in plaintext
Why do people use this trash again?

We don't have usernames on this subreddit so I don't really know who you're talking to.

because nearly anything supports it

but there is

How do I connect a dualshock3 to Opensuse?

got a php class where we use netbeans with wamp, but I wanna use loonix on this shit laptop.
What's some simple server equivalent to wamp just to test my php scripts? Apache / nginx?

The simplest.

secure.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.webserver.php

If you want an actual web server use nginx.

i have never voted democrat and, once again, chose the republican's spot-on nomination.
early voted for Clinton
>Hiliary will build a wall and make the gays and 'super predators' pay for it.

I don't know if it's funny or sad when I see people hating on GNU because they go interjected but when it comes to sell "Linux" to normalfags, you see the same people calling windows users "botnet cucks" who should use Linux because "freedom".

The GNU system was developed 10 years before the first loc of the Linux kernel were even written. It was made so people can have freedom when using a computer and this is what matters. How pathetic is it to start hating on GNU and it's source RMS including the whole meaning of Free Software just for the convenience to call it Linux. Call it Linux if you want, but never go full retarded.

thanks, hope it will suffice for now

calm, it's just some redditors baiting for (you)'s, every time you reply, you keep them alive

>you see the same people
can you see their ip (internet protocol) addresses? how else could you possibly confirm this?
>Call it Linux if you want, but never go full retarded.
sure, when you gnufags stop forcing everyone else to call it gnu/linux
lmfao

not him but it actually happens that Sup Forums suggests to use 'Linux' so the user can have freedom
they don't call it gnu/linux
they also don't know that linux actually isn't even completly free (intentionally ignores license violations to include ucode)
speaks also for the technical knowlege of 'just linux' users

Is it possible to make a Qt app (for example VirtualBox) use the same icons as the GTK apps?

you do realize that Sup Forums can't think anything? it isn't alive and it doesn't have a consciousness of its own.
and i can't be bothered to care what 'they' suggest to use linux for, i can decide that for myself and i'm sure most people here are capable of that as well
i'm just saying it's retarded to force people to do something and then be surprised when you see retaliation (your thread gets increased amounts of shitposting in it)

Other user with different view (wow).

I'm a GNU/Linux guy (unamo -o says so), but I don't think that the interjection pasta is a good idea since it breeds people who feel insulted and when people feel insulted, they want to strike back, start hating on freedom and crippling their system down to embeded tier like alpine. That's not the goal we're going for.

My suggestion: Let normalfags call it Linux, call it yourself GNU/Linux. If they are intelligent or curious enough, they'll research themselves and learn about the history of GNU, Linux, etc.

Thanks for reading my blog.

OMG I FUCKING LOVE THIS PICTURE.

I'M SAVING THIS PICTURE GUYS I'M LITERALLY SAVING THIS PICTURE I'M CREATING A FOLDER CALLED IMG AND LITERALLY PUTTING THIS IMAGE IN THAT FOLDER.

excitement aside is this photoshopped or did RMS actually visit assange as the embasy and take this one?

It's real. twitter.com/wikileaks/status/355634896632414208

>since it breeds people who feel insulted and when people feel insulted
dude, not everyone here is a pussy
it just attracts linuxmasterrace memers to post some random "toe eating jew" memes
I suggest to report those people for starting flamewars, that's their whole intention

>try Tiny Core Linux on my old toaster laptop
>available desktop resolutions: 640x480 and 800x600
Oh fuck. I'm gonna have to edit xorg.conf, aren't I?

should I switch to zsh? Pro/Cons?

I'm using Arch if it matters.

If you install MinGW, on a Windows machine, should you call the resulting system GNU/Windows 10?

>Please redpill me on systemd, is it really a botnet?

>I'm using Arch if it matters.

>cuck license

>Please redpill me on Arch, is it really a meme?

>I'm using Arch if it matters.

zsh is a meme, if you really care about shell scripting try to write POSIX scripts and use Bash

the reason why zsh is so popular is because OS X ships a very old version of bash and macfags, like the tech illiterates they are, instead of simply updating, they think bash is bad and therefore switch to zsh

this created a whole community of zsh/macfags who created the framework oh-my-zsh (which is even more a meme than zsh itself), providing 10000000000 aliases for people who cant write aliases or configure a PS1

tl;dr if you don't want that people laugh at you, stick to bash for interactive and write POSIX sh for maximum compatibility

but bash is GNU

>if you don't want people to laugh at you
If you don't care what other people think though and just want to use whatever's best and comfiest, go for zsh.

>maximum compatibility
>with bash
lmao

what's your point?

Back in my days, trolling meant something. Why didn't you meantion that Bash was created by a NIGGER? Oh, you're just a newfag. :^)
>maximum compatibility
>with bash
Nice strawman, but nope, the guy clearly said POSIX. Searx it.

zsh has almost no advantages compared to bash, it has a slightly different syntax and configuration which you may prefer but that's it. Many people start using zsh because they want to be different and then fabricate "advantages" to justify their choice.

Maximum compatibility means oksh. bash isn't fully POSIX conformant, not even in POSIX mode.

How did you get Win 7 to install? When I try it just refuses to initialize the installation process. I've made a VM with the same .iso file with VirtualBox and i can't figure out what I've been doing wrong with the QEMU

Thats the trolling style I'm taling about.
But no: Bash is fully POSIX compatible.
Stop spreading flase informations.

>Bash was created by a NIGGER?
wew lad. you'd fit in on Sup Forums

>What distribution of Linux are YOU running?
Linux life 4.8.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Oct 31 18:51:30 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
What's your favorite window manager / desktop environment?
i3/xfce4
And gcc or clang?
gcc
Vim or emacs or something else?
emacs

he just proofed that you are even too retarded to basic trolling

zsh's tab completion functions blow bash's out of the water, and any script more complex than "cd /directory && ./some_binary" and you should be writing it in python or perl anyway

keep bash for legacy purposes, but zsh is the future

he only proved how edgy he was. you however, bit on one of my best spoons.

- based deblobbed debian kernel, sadly with added iwlwifi
- i3-gaps
- gcc
- vim

t. guy who did never read any manpage

>zsh is the future

What? zsh is just as old and just as bloated as bash. Bash is ubiquitous, zsh is used by ricer kids. If anything replaces bash it certainly won't be zsh and it certainly won't be happening any time soon.

>Bash is fully POSIX compatible.
The official documentation admits it isn't. You're either outright lying or just trolling to see my reaction, but I'm well-informed enough to be able to tell.

Linux Takao 4.8.6DirtyC0w #1 SMP Thu Nov 3 00:29:20 CET 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
KDE
gcc
vi/nano pleb

have fun debugging your unreadable script when bash decides to break posix compatibility with no depreciation warning, sweetie

I'll just be sitting here with the same python scripts I wrote many many years ago that all still work and a shell that behaves better than bash ever did (isn't it still vulnerable to shellshock? lmao)

Stop spreading disinformations dude.

From the man page.

>Bash is intended to be a conformant implementation of the Shell and Utilities portion of the IEEE POSIX specification (IEEE Standard 1003.1). Bash can be configured to be POSIX-conformant by default.

Bash has a posix flag and every Arch distro is using it like that.

Here's the source just so no unwary reader of this thread believes you.

gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-POSIX-Mode.html

Now go die in a fire.

See That's official docs, and it explains clearly bash isn't fully POSIX-compliant even with that flag turned on (which it isn't on most distros).

It states that you're wrong, lol.

Why lie when anyone can open the link and see that's not the case? How old are you?

>post link
>didn't read
wow

3/10, made me believe you were serious at first

unrelated by zsh isn't POSIX compatible more than bash since zsh can't even emulate bash; it just can emulate ksh
go die in a fire fagget

What is the point of this shitpost?

Who cares about zsh? I said oksh means maximum-compat, see

just get debian guys
dash (the standard /bin/sh) is fully posix compatible and faster than bash

while arch cucks are still waiting for their scripts to finish, debqueens already did some work

no sane man uses shell scripts anymore, posix or not

quit living in the past

to consume trips

t. linux mint user