X64

Is there any x64 chip that's inadequate for web browsing and word processing? I'm rocking a Pentium 4 HT on my backup computer and it works great. Has desktop chip technology stagnated?

wtf is x64?

No, we are just moving to less performance increasements and more power optimizations. My tablet with a 3W CPU is faster than your P4 housefire edition.
And why sell more powerful CPUs if people only want facebook/office machines anyway?

>housefire edition.

It never goes above 33 C.

Which model is it?

cute

I would say that the Pentium 4's and the single-core Athlon 64's are no longer functional, at least with Windows. Yes, CPU technology has plateau'd since 2013. Hence why I'm still running a Q9550 as my main machine: at the end of the day it'll perform nearly identical to modern shit, because benchmarks and clock speed aren't everything.
Probably because you have a BTX-based system, which was designed around the P4's insane heat requirements.

Add the Pentium D to list of non-usable x64 CPU's (unless you're looking for a space heater instead of a computer.) A 1.8GHz C2D will run circles around a 3GHz Pentium D.

I already said in the OP. Here is more info.

Intel® Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz × 2

I just picked up this piece of shit so I could have a dedicated Linux machine. I am sick of the latency in VMs on my main PC. It needs a bit more RAM to be as fast with more than 5 tabs open in Chrome.

>× 2

Does this mean it has two cores?

It's what Windows users call x86_64 or amd64.

No, it's hyper-threaded, which means it appears as two cores to the OS, but is physically only one core. No dual-core 775 CPU carried the Pentium 4 label - the Pentium D was the dual-core version of the P4.

No, it's hyperthreaded

It only has hyperthreading
What GPU and CPU cooler are you using? Why don't you just upgrade to a core2 quad or at least a core 2 duo?

>Why don't you just upgrade to a core2 quad or at least a core 2 duo?
It's likely that OP's computer has a Intel 915 or 945 chipset. Neither of them support the Core architecture CPU's; only the Pentium 4/Pentium D (and the 915 only supports the former.)

I spent less than 35 USD on this piece of shit. I don't feel like spending money on it. I'm just using it to do C for some courses. I might add some RAM if I can get it up to 4 gigs for less than 15 USD.

>less than 35 USD
Please don't tell me you actually gave money for a Pentium 4. They're worthless pieces of shit and you're far better off with anything else.

You could have gotten a core 2 machine for that

It came in a nice metal Dell case, faggot. Stay mad. I had to replace my old 32-bit PC from when I was a kid.

No dumbass. You don't know how much things cost where I live.

Where do you live? Africa?

BC, Canada fuckface. Electronics aren't as cheap as the US. I went to the cheapest 2nd hand computer store and got the cheapest 64-bit computer they had.

lol u got ripped off

lol

It was less expensive than anything I saw on Craigslist at the time.

> I'm rocking a Pentium 4 HT on my backup computer and it works great
Lies.
I'm on an AMD Athlon64 X2 and it's a pain in the ass. My mom's computer has a Northwood Pentium 4 and it's practically unusable to browse the internet.

>It's how I call amd64
FTFY

I can usefully browse the web on a Pentium III so.

What rating 64x2 (e.g. 4400+)? And 939 or AM2? If 939, slow DDR RAM might be a bottleneck. But a family friend of mine has a 5600+ and it does everything she needs.
>mom's computer has a Northwood Pentium 4
You should give her a newer computer. Throw one together from scrap parts if you have to.

have you really never heard the term x64 before?

5600+, AM2.
I don't get how your friend can live with the modern web browsing experience. Watching YouTube videos is a pain, because it's so unresponsive. Scrolling is choppy as fuck. You can notice the lag when typing, letters appear a second later.