SCSI Thread

What is a SCSI and why the fuck is it pronounced "Scussy"

It's a protocol for connecting devices in a computer system to other devices in a computer system.

It was an interface for various devices, such as hard drives, optical drives, scanners, printers, etc. Used extensively by Apple throughout the 80s and 90s. Offered faster speeds than IDE, but was more expensive and complicated to implement.

No user, it's more like すかし

it was the fancy disk drive interface when peripheral-controlled DMA was considered a near unthinkable luxury.

you bought an expensive card and a bunch of expensive disks and didn't need to kill your single CPU juggling all the I/O.

>was
SCSI still exists.

Because it's fuzzy :3

Serial Attached SCSI.

12 Gbit/s and counting.

ok have a question i need help with
i had this old laptop who broke down, something with the inbuilt graphics card i believe
anyway i took out the hard drive and wanted to try to see if i can excess my old files
it had 2 partition one had windows the other had my files
my question is can i just put it into an external hard drive case and take my files out of it
or i will have problems with encyrption due it it having windows xp on it?
can someone explain, im dumb

>why the fuck is it pronounced "Scussy"
Because CMYK is shmick, jpg is jaypeg and gif is jif.

>gif is jif
No, gif is gif.

what is iSCSI, i see it all the time mentioned in server discussions?

It's basically networked SCSI.

>still exists
>12 Gb SAS

SCSI is at an evolutionary dead end.
The standard NVMe device protocol obsoletes fast spinning rust controllers every which way.

Cheap redundant disk storage is being taken over by SW RAID plus FSs like zfs and all its clones like btrfs.

The creator has spoken, it's jif. In Scandinavian languages it's pronounced yiff (as in yiff in he'll furfag) because that's how they pronounce the letter j.

Fuck what the creator thinks, go with English's non-existent pronunciation rules. It's all about what sounds "just right" and I can't imagine myself calling animated images by the same name as peanut butter.

It's pronounced SKUH-zee

SAS will always be around for HDDs as PCIe lanes are limited and PCIe switches cost more than SAS controllers.

>>reddit

First off, you are indeed dumb. At least you realise this fact.
Second off, yes, you can just put your drive into an external case and take it wherever you need. But since it's partitioned, you might find it inconvenient if you wish to store more files on it. If you want to partition it back into one volume, you'll need to back up all the data onto another drive, then you can use Windows' Disk Management (windows+R -> compmgmt.msc -> storage -> disk management) to combine the partitions.

Back when floppies were a thing there was a company called Shugart and Associates who were very big in the floppy drive business.
They developed the Shugart and Associates System Interface (SASI) system of interfacing hard drives to mini-computers. Later that was codified as Small Computer Systems Interface (SCSI) when it became a Standard.
SCSI offered many advantages; up to seven devices on one interface, devices could talk to each other without involving the host system, a whopping 5MB/s - bidirectional, and a variety of SCSI devices such as disks, tapes, scanners, printers, etc.
Then came the third-party stuff that didn't adhere to standards and SCSI was in trouble. Poorly made cables and terminators were the usual suspects, as were devices that expected to have the SCSI bus to themselves.
Later versions of SCSI arrived from people who "solved" SCSI's problems in isolation, inevitably creating more and worse problems.
Apple was the first big company to adopt SCSI. In fact they adopted a pre-release version for the Mac Plus and had to patch all the ROMs in those Macs when the Standard was adopted with a slightly different command set.

>tfw its apparently a pain in the ass/nearly impossible to find a 10.4 AND OS9 compatible SCSI card for a G4.

>hiragana for foreign dirt
When I was small I thought apple was japanese, btw.

Why does she have two noses

why not?

I dont understand this image

Normally SAS hosts are linked together directly with external mini-sas cables.

iSCSI essentially eliminates that by instead routing the SCSI commands through the network.