/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Significantly outdated "Good" and "Very Good" tiers
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/wM8YLD
pcpartpicker.com/list/TBPQGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/GxRF4C
pcpartpicker.com/user/krazypudding/saved/BrmgsY
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125869
pcpartpicker.com/list/tNHqhq
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/csZWf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/FgFCD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/vgxTPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/V3JBTH
pcpartpicker.com/list/jYZWf8
pcpartpicker.com/product/nB3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Election Aftermath Edition

PRAISE HIM
Also, check my build
pcpartpicker.com/list/wM8YLD

I don't....
what?

16 shitposting VMs, 4 different VPN subscriptions, 20 Sup Forums passes

Maga.

I don't think you will need to shitpost that much considering he pretty much won.

Who said I was on Trump's side. We gorilla warfare now.

Um harambe died my nerd virgin friend

Checked
Kek

Is it retarded to buy an rx 480 if the 1060 is cheaper?

Do you guys have some basic do's and dont's for a first time builder?

How much cheaper?

If you're ultrapoorfag 9000,
DO
Buy a prebuilt.
DON'T
Build your own PC.

If you want to buy a PSU,
DO
Get SeaSonic as first choice, a PSU from a reputable brand with better prices and specs second choice.
DON'T
Buy cheap no-name garbage.

If you want to futureproof your build,
DO
Splurge on a case - they aren't going to get outdated anytime soon.
DON'T
Get an Intel socket and expect it to last more than two generations, or get an Nvidia GPU - those fuckers age quick.

If you have a single 1080p/1200p(16:10 master race) or one or more lower resolution monitors, and don't plan to have any additions or do any upgrades in the near future,
DO
Get a card that will still hit 60 Hz minimum frame rates in games for your monitor(s).
DON'T
Buy the latest and greatest video card - by the time you add monitors or upgrade your monitor(s), a new card will have come out with the same performance as the previous greatest for half the price and with the current greatest having double the performance as the previous greatest for the same price.

If you want a PC relatively soon,
DO
Get all the parts in your build as soon as possible.
DON'T
Wait - that's another eighteen months with what you have now, and prices aren't going to suddenly go down drastically any time soon.

Don't forget standoffs and the I/O shield first. Do make sure sure cables (and the plugs) will fit before you start screwing anything down. Do read the manual when putting the individual front I/O wires in.
Don't put things in slots that they won't fit in.
It's not hard

#cheapcasesmatter
$30 after rebate, good quality, good cooling, decent looking, good size

pcpartpicker.com/list/TBPQGf

Decided to try out Intel since my amd cpu and ram kicked the bucket.
I like to think it's pretty comfy. :3

>I like to think it's pretty comfy. :3
For such an autist like you i bet the straightjacket they put on you is pretty comfy, too.

Looking to upgrade this, because I got a 4k monitor as a gift. Getting a 1080, and DDR4 ram while I'm at it. This wasn't originally mine, and obviously I barely have any clue what I'm doing since I'm asking, but how are the motherboard and CPU? Can I get away with not having to worry about upgrading those?

>6320
>watercooling on an i3

Ddr4 is only supported by x99 and skylake motherboards. You would have to upgrade your cpu and motherboard if you want ddr4. You would be fine with only a new video card.

Experience with a pre-built so you know your way around a pc before building your own one is always prefered. However if you buy a pre-built and plan on upgrading/switching components/modding the case later, never buy a Dell's. Their PCs are ridden with proprietary shits (case fan use 5 pins connector, short I/O wires, etc).
If you are still building a pc without much knowledge beforehand, never go for overclocking right away. Those OCing PCs require custom parts, and some parts will get in the way of other parts if you are clueless while picking parts. the less custom/after market parts you buy the less headache you will have when assembling your pc

just my 2 cents

Guys I would like to get a 1440p 144hz screen.Which one is better?Asus or Acer?

Guys, I want to build a sleeper PC in a vintage beige case. Anyone know of any vendors online that still carry some cases? Or am I doomed to scavenge Craigslist?

Provide a sample picture m8

There are no new beige cases anymore.

>your country if outside of the USA
why?
rate my desktop
>H97-D3H gigabyte motherboard
>8GB G.skill RAM
>Core i5 4460
>Gainward GTX 1060
>kingston SSDNOW v300 240GB
>WD HDD 1TB
>purposes : gaming (windows7) and dual boot with linux because I just like linux
>country is israel , still asking myself why is that information needed..

Definitely wait for the 1080Ti for 4K. It's only two months away

You can't use DDR4, but you're fine with your current CPU

Horribly retarded build.

Get the i5 6600K if you're going to water cool and have a Z170 board
Get 3000MHz RAM
Fury X is only for high res screens. Not made for 1080p

Why? To find out of you're a goddamn jew. Actually you're pretty stupid because this is a build thread, not a rate thread, which should clue you in on why country of origin can be important

> rate other anons'
you're an idiot

I am OP retard. Learn context. This thread is for people WHO ARE BUILDING PCs. You're looking for a seccy or battlestation thread

pcpartpicker.com/list/GxRF4C
Should I get a 1080 if I want to do 1440p/144hz?

>post your component list
check
>rate other anons'
your go OP
'cmon faggot rate my goddamn PC , you started this thread for this no?

I'm planning on buying a GTX 1060 for 1080p gaming at 60Hz
I'm wondering if I should get the 3gb or 6gb model. There's a sale on the 3gb model for 200€ when normally it's around 250€ and the 6gb model is around 300€ (located in Finland)

I've understood that in current titles the difference in performance is very minor, but how future proof is the 3gb model?

If you're thinking about building that PC, don't. Get a Skylake CPU (eg i5 6500) with DDR4

Check suggested builds in OP

1070 or wait for 1080Ti in Jan

3GB is fine, you probably won't have nice texture options, but compared to consoles you will have enough VRAM

I don't really care about how it compares to consoles, what I care about is how long am I able to crank up the settings @1080p if I do choose the 3GB model.

Perhaps having peace of mind regarding the future proofness of my computer might be worth the extra 100€

Games are made for consoles first, which is of course why their specs matter, retard.

Also you can't future proof your graphics card (retard). 3GB will be fine as long as games are still made for the PS4 or PS4 Pro

like 20 euros

GTX 1070 or 1080 for 1440p?

1070 is enough but don't expect stellar performance for all AAA titles.

how much faster is an rx 480 from an gtx 760

2x, plus at least twice the VRAM

twice as fast

what amd cpu/apu can the rx 480 crossfire with?

Don't multiGPU, it sucks. 480 is plenty for 1080p. You can run CF on an i5 6500 if you want

Get 3000MHz RAM
2TB HGST HDD
GTX 1070 or wait for the 1080Ti

You'll need a nice monitor to go along with either of those, otherwise just get a 1060

pcpartpicker.com/user/krazypudding/saved/BrmgsY

This is my first crack at putting a build together. I tried to stick with logical increments and learn as much as I could but I'm bound to fuck something up on it so thanks for taking a look

I want a great machine for gaming, but I also need good processing power for audio production purposes, so I included an i7. I'm fine in the budget, I just want to clarify that the build makes sense and also to get some feedback on some better choices that I could make from those more experienced builders.

Makes sense, thanks for the input

Mobo is good but a gaymen meme. Get 3000 RAM. Don't get an EVGA card, they are literally a house fire. Your case is absolute meme garbage. 850W is a complete overkill unless you want to SLI two 1080's in the future and OC.

You could SLI and overclock two Titan XPs AND have enough power for CPU and everything with 850w

I got my 1050Ti today and popped it into my computer. When I boot my PC, there's no signal. I can here the card's fan running, but I cant figure out how to get the monitor working again.

Did you plug the monitor into the graphics card port?

yeah

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125869

About to grab this - I want a 1080 and considering last year, this might be the best chance I get to get a good sale for a new GPU.

Thoughts? Have you guys seen a better one elsewhere?

6700 or 6700k?

Is it worth getting the K version?

Yeah, worth it to grab the K but only if you get an HSF, since with proper cooling you can achieve pretty much the same lifespan but a faster speed on a card.

Looks good, I have a gigabyte 1070 ($400) and no problems
Yes it's free performance you can use in a few years when your CPU starts aging. The difference is only like $15 right?

But like he said, k versions dont come with their own CPU cooler

What?
My 2500k came with a stock cooler, which I'm still using.

Skylake K processors don't come with stock coolers.

Oh. How come?

K means you are overclocking, which means you are assumed to be a power user, which means you're going to want control over your HSF. Use your head, dude.

Made some last finishing touches:

pcpartpicker.com/list/tNHqhq

Does this look good?

Budget is 1000 dollars, will mainly use it for drawing, rendering, encoding, and some gaming here and there.

Im so dumb, forgot pic for convenience

>rx 480 in a 1000 dollar build
Go for a gtx 1070 or wait for the 490.

I, personally, cant seem to manage a fit with a 6700k + 1070 under 1000 build without being a cheapskate on some of the parts.

When should I wait to get good deals on CPUs and GPUs? I've heard that cyber monday would be good, but what kind of discounts can I expect?

I've got to move my CPU and its stock heat sink onto a new motherboard. I've ordered some thermal compound, but what should I use to remove the pre-applied compound? Isopropyl alcohol that's like 90% alcohol, right? Can you find that in a drug store or something?

So I've settled on a build - can I get some opinions? Pic related is my current build

i7 6700k
RAIJINTEK Aidos cooler
Asus Z170-P
Asus GTX 1060 6gb
32 gb 2133mhz

Totals to £800 (approx. $1000)

if you want an i7 just get the 3770K for your current mobo

If you get the new platform with a Z170 get 3000MHz RAM

How does 3000mhz help? I did a little research and ram speed seems to be inconsequential.

eurogamer's i5 6500 review

I see

I need a cheap SSD for an office computer. 60-120 GB. Recommendations?

What kind of monitor should I buy if I plan to buy a 1070?

What's the cheapest possible build without bottlenecking a 1070?

No.

Any build with any new Intel CPU or old i-core/Xeon CPU, any build with performance on par with a FX-6300, any build with good single-core performance and multi-core performance.

Honestly, it really just depends on the game. If you're playing an unoptimized piece of garbage, you're going to need a better CPU, but for the most part, the above criteria is enough.

i just built my new pc with an asus z170 pro gaming mother broad and a define s case. there's a light static in my headphones plugged into the front audio jack whenever i move my mouse. does anyone know any fixes for this?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/csZWf8

Can some people give me feedback on this build please, thanks

What are the best places to get windows 7 from?

What makes the mobo a gaymen meme? I'm actually trying to learn something. Could I get some good case recommendations? Or at least some criteria I can look for to determine what's good?

>what makes the mobo a gaming meme?
Gaming in the title, LEDs that aren't POST etc

>could I get some good case recommendations
Anything by Fractal Design and Phanteks

This build is much better for one $100 less.
pcpartpicker.com/list/FgFCD8

I just got a memey ROG swift, 1440p and 144hz, with g sync helping for all fps levels

Just got my computer put together, but I can't get it to recognize my usb and wireless usb keyboards and mice. I have [pic related], but only one for a mouse, as the BIOS doesn't seem to respond to any keyboard I use.

Do I have to go out and buy an old p/s2 keyboard, or am I missing something?

As a related question, the new motherboard might just need its drivers installed, but the driver came in a CD, and I don't have any drives connected to the mobo. It has plenty of SATA ports, but the DVD/CD drives I tore out of my old computer only have IDE ports. Do I really need to connect a newer SATA drive to download the drivers, or can I burn the driver CD on another computer to an external HDD and boot from that via USB?

Go to a PC parts store or electronics recycling center. They typically have tons of peripherals, cases, and random shit for cheap. Unfortunately, it's 2016, so beige cases are probably confined to the museums by this point.

First time builder, was it a mistake to have chosen a GPU first and made a build around it?
pcpartpicker.com/list/vgxTPs
I'd like to know if it's absolutely retarded or not.
It's purpose is vidja and vidja alone.

yes

So it's unsalvageable?

Shoulda read the sticky.

I did the same thing too, woulda had a Z170 Mobo right now instead of a H110, but whatevs.

Anyway-
>Overclockable reasonably priced CPU
>Good Cooler
>B150 Non-CPU-Overclocking Motherboard
That's not gonna work out.
>DDR3 RAM
DEF not gonna work out, something with skylake CPU's not liking DDR3 or something.
>750 EVO SSD and 1TB HDD.
>Gaming
Eh, okay choices.
Woulda gone with 500 Gig Samsung 850 EVO SSD instead.
>1070
At least it's a 6600K you paired it with.
>Fractal Design
Good deal, but other choices exist as well.
>450w Power Supply
>80+ Bronze

Okay, just because PCPartPicker shows 374 watts overall, doesn't mean it's under 450w.

Double it, then get a PSU that can handle it near or above the doubled number.
650 watt 80+ gold would be a good choice here.

pcpartpicker.com/list/V3JBTH
And since you never stated a budget, I went with this.

Damn dude, thanks. I chose the HDD and SSD combo so I can have the windows installation on something speedy, while all the media and shit is dumped on the HDD. But while my budget isn't infinite I appreciate the price you've given and it's definitely doable for me.

pcpartpicker.com/list/jYZWf8
How does my build look? I want to stay as close to $1k as I can.

I currently have two SATA 6-pin outlets open on my PSU, and my 1070 takes one 8pin connector to power it.

what adapters do I need to make this happen?

(am about to buy two 6-pin male to 6-pin male and connect them to the dual 6-pin female to 8 pin male that the 1070 comes with, but not sure that will be okay)

Just bought a GTX 1060 3gb lads, It's a better upgrade than the 760 I have currently, Now i can run newer games much better without fucking crashing.

Would you recommend this PSU?

SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze

pcpartpicker.com/product/nB3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze

Should I upgrade to Pascal now or wait for Volta?

Thanks for sharing

Why does that box have "dual" on it?

Also, is a 1060 with one fan okay or will the temps get too high?

Upgrade now; waitcucks are stupid.

Any recommendations for a cooler for i5-2500?

My old stock cooler served me well until now when it started to run too hot.

Dear Sup Forums, what is in most need of upgrade currently?
I'll upgrade it after upgrading my old ass non-hdmi monitor

Ordered an upgrade package and now I'm dreading the arrival because it'll be work to install. I'm getting too old for this shit.

GPU.