twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is bait

>debian testing
Just right.

Slackware?

>What is Ubuntu without Unity

debian stable with custom repositories

Still trash =)

I love linux in theory, but every time I go back I get reminded of how shit it is.

And all of them except gentoo have systemd ie. NSA backdoor

>Debian testing
>Essentially a slightly less unstable arch with apt, which is the 2nd worst packet manager available(right after yum)
>just right

Okay

Solus is pretty cool. Using it at home as well as on the work laptop.

>>debian
year old packages
what's wrong with that?
It's really stable, and if you want new garbage just compile/install manually in an alternative directory

>"new" linux
>that means no comfy .rpm or .deb packages
>shit wiki
>shit repository
>amazing packet manager
>have to compile half the shit you need yourself

I'll pass user

you can roll your own OPditro
are you not entertained?

>what is linux from scratch

Your opinion is closer to trash.

>Spending 15 years configuring

>mint
>gaping security holes

w-what?

>Ubuntu fag is triggered that easily

Why am I not surprised?

>Debian testing
>Essentially a slightly less unstable arch with apt, which is the 2nd worst packet manager available(right after yum)

Aptitude is the best package manager out there you archfag.

No
>literally no gamezzz
>linux tends to break
>the ability to configure and play around with it is fun
>but yet again...
>tends to break

Derp: The Shitpost

> Install Debian, switch to testing
> ???
> profit

Yum is deprecated. Dnf is the new hotness and it's great.

>get no security updates and no updates at all once freeze

Debian testing = shitty Arch for people too dumb for Arch.

Solus.

/thread

Enjoy your lack of security updates and bug fixes. Testing is the worst of sid and stable and manages to be even worse.

This whole 'to dumb for arch' argument is the stupidest thing ever produced by this board.

If you ever leave your basement and get a full time job you'll find that the 'it just works' factor is far more important than customization.

I do have a full time work though. If you ever installed Arch instead of basing your knowledge on memes you would know that it pretty much "just work"

Ubuntu isn't botnet.
>Arch
>spending 10 years configuring
That's what Antergos, Manjaro and apricity are for.
>gentoo
>same thing
Sabayon

There's always openSUSE, or solus.

what about openSUSE?

openSUSE is bad because
>literally who

not same person but there is this article:
lwn.net/Articles/676664/

>implications

apt and dpkg are great.
some people are just too dumb to use it
not sure how they can be that dumb, but they exist

b-but you can't stop the suse youtube.com/watch?v=4D98M1Kli7I

It's one of the better distros.

what do you mean by tends to break?
I run Debian and I've literally never had it break or even close to break.
Sure if you use arch or some distro made by web devs
Run something serious like Debian, CentOS, Fedora, Slackware and it won't break unless you do something stupid.
also about games, i have like 200 steam games for linux and no time to play them all. it probably doesn't have the games you want, in which case that's the trade-off you'd have to accept, just like if I wanted to play Windows games I'd have to accept losing everything I have that doesn't work on Linux.
Except I don't because I can set up PCI passthrough and get native performance in a VM.

>Fedora
>yum
Go back to the past, user.

>Mint
>insecure
Rather this than a shitty ugly shit distro that makes 1000 problems.

Fedora uses dnf

>Ubuntu
Isn't botnet, Unity was but isn't anymore.
>Debian
old packages are not as bad as you think if everything works. security patches are fast. If you want newer packages just use testing
>Fedora
no more yum, dnf now.
>Arch and Gentoo
Are for people who want to configure everything to their needs, which is good for them
>Mint
I don't know the point of Mint either.

All in all it seems like you don't know anything about this and are just blarring things you heard from Sup Forums

dnf is great and want to rub it all over my body

Alpine linux is without systemd

What about PCLinuxOS? It just werks.

antergos/manjaro

install manjaro

Antergos/Arch master race reporting in.

Retarded name choice though. "Yum" was iconic.

just beware of package version transitions. The last GNOME 3.21 to 3.22 update left my laptop without working brightness until I manually updated some packages from the sid repo.

are old as fuck suse retail box install discs worth anything?
Like its 8 cds, a big ass book, and a box with some stickers and shit.
Have a green one and a blue wont, thing it wasnt home and professional.
had like 10 boxs of the shit

>10 year old packages
Is there actually any valid argument against Debian? Use testing if you really care.

It seems that Sup Forums keeps forgetting not everyone is a NEET
With that said, are the Ubuntu flavours and Mint still the go to for a just works distribution?

>botnet
You keep using that word. I don't think you know what it actually means, do you?

Old packages also have bugs. Like audacity on Jessie where the hotkeys don't work properly.

If you wanna try using GNU for the first time go for Ubuntu.

Every distro is good pick one that is fitting you.
Biggest bait have ever seen.

Yup pretty much. Even though i still love Ubuntu it just work great.

this is what i hate about linux. every single one of them has some shit that bothers someone...
I have tried:
Manjaro - too many problems, didn't just work
Ubuntu - fuck unity
Kubuntu - nice
Arch - didn't have time make it work
Debian - didn't like it
Mint Cinnamon - didn't like it because it wasn't configurable like mint KDE...
So i'm using mint KDE. I like KDE.
Now I wan't to switch again because of mints security but I really don't know where to go next

Using ubuntu+XFCE
it just fuckin works.

that's it.

Linux is free only if your time is worth nothing , get Windows 10 and stop being cheap faggots

>switch to debian testing
>no more security patches

ah yes

windows + decent antivirus... you can't just buy windows bitch

>Arch and Gentoo
>Spending 10 years configuring

Installed Arch with Architect installer 1 year ago, two hours to configure the system and add the packages i need. Never had issues.

wooot? didn't know thatthere is such a thing

I don't get why you guys say that arch takes a lot of time of your life. I was fairly new to linux and decided to try it with i3. The first hours were a bit tedious with the xorg server and nvidia drivers but after that it's nothing.
With the wiki a noob like me could do everything to make it work and start customizing things.
I get that the first time can take a few hours, but after that it's very rewarding

I don't get all of you who says arch is hard and long to install.
It's literary format partitions, mount partitions, then that pacstrap >> /mnt shit, then pacman -S (your DE), then systemctl enable sddm/gdm/whatever you use, reboot. That's it, you're done. Takes 15-20 min. What's so fucking hard about it?
It's fucking faster than GUI Debian installation because "preparing packages" by apt takes forever.

Are you me?

Could be. I've switched to Gentoo after a year of using arch. Gentoo really takes much longer to install (but within 12 hours of configuration) and once you install it, you rarely touch it and it never breaks.

I would like to try it. But I feel like, given that more people use arch, I will have more support online and more documentation if I stick to arch. And more packages I guess.
I just love the Arch Wiki

>yum

apt is just fine, only a bit slower than pacman. I'd choose pacman any time.

99% of arch wiki is applicable to Gentoo. Gentoo specifics are rare and very well documented on Gentoo wiki. So it is not a problem at all.
I've never had any troubles with lack of packages personally, and gentoo by the way has its own AUR, which is called Overlays. I actually like Overlays more than AUR because of flexibility it provides. You can also set up very easily your own overlay for various purposes.

Also, people on Gentoo forum are very intelligent and professional. So, even though there are less people you actually have higher chances of getting a right answer to your problem.

99% of the arch wiki is applicable to damn near any distro. The whole damn thing is a godsend for Linux in general.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thank you for the info!

What about tiny core?

wiki.solus-project.com/Package_Requests

Fuck off, Kevin.

Is that why you sjw cuck virgins are ddosing them?

took a week to install arch trying everyday follow every step of the wiki, funny thing after a week i installed it and then i realized i still needed the appropriate drivers for my system... well gave up completely... going for debian since the security part and stability really interest me... i was worried about costumization so i turned to arch but arch,debian,gentoo,ubuntu... they're all linux so costumization wont be a problem on any of them.

>Source: my ass

This. I'm happy af with arch.

Driver support can be a pain in the ass.

I have had one issue with arch involving a bothersome UEFI configuration on an Intel board and this is not unique to it or really pertinent to arch proper.

PCLinuxOS

Opensuse

Oddly enough, manjaro was the one distro that just werked for me.

>trying to replace Debian with Antergos on my thinkpad 410s
>First USB crashes multiple times mid installation
>Try with newer USB drive, goes further but still ends up crashing

Are Sandisk usb drives to blame?

>>linux tends to break
Is this a meme? I've never had Linux just spontaneously break outside of using a couple hipster distros and rolling releases. Though I have seen Compiz just shit itself on vanilla Ubuntu installs for some reason.

3/10 had me reply
kill yourself kike

>Fedora
>yum

I think you mean:
>Fedora
>dnf