Is this the best Distro created so far?

Is this the best Distro created so far?

It's Solus BTW. Installed it 2 nights ago and I'm really loving it so far. Huge step up from Mint and Fedora.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6606842/#6607846
archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6606842/#6607855
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

install macOS

I put that on my laptop the other night too.
It's nice, but it has a severe lack of software available for it now.
Give it a year or so for it to catch up and it might just be a contender among the mainstream distros.

Right now I'm sticking with arch. The AUR is far too useful not to use it.
Plus you can install the desktop environment that Solus on arch anyways. There are instructions on their website.

What software was missing for you?
It has everything I need/want so far, but I guess what works for me won't work for everyone else...

Looks like a kids version of Windows 10 with a shittier menu.

Discord, Mono, Monodevelop, a freaking terminal application (I may have missed it but I couldn't find one in the software center.), a fair few other minor pieces of software I use for customisation.

its open source so you can create the package scripts and contribute them to the project.

It has a terminal? There's a shortcut in my image in the op actually, right next to Chrome.

Not sure about the other 3 though as I've never had to use them, but it is open source so you can just make the package scripts and submit them to be added to the repositories.

@57452257
>(You) Count
wow that's fucking autistic you're not getting one from me you massive piece of cocksucking faggot

We know it's you Kevin, now GTFO our Sup Forums faggot.

I could, you're right. I'm more loyal to arch though, I'd rather do that sort of thing for Arch.
IF some other people pick up and help him out to get more software available then great.
But for me, the only thing I really find appealing about the whole thing is the Budgie DE
Which I can put on arch anyways.
And I don't think it'd be a permanent replacement for I3 either.

Hmm, you're right. I'll have to check see if I missed it.

*your

If you're happy with Arch, I'd probably say stick with it. I just like solus because it ships with the nicest DE(in my opinion) and it's the fastest/snappiest distro I've tried.

>arctic monkeys

Fair enough.
Arch is faster for me, but it takes a lot of setup.
And again, the DE works on Arch just fine.
Heck it could potentially be better since Budgie is GNOME based so I can use tools on arch to customise it further.

>insulting people's taste in music
Fugggg :DD

Define "best Distro" because what you think is best - I can fucking assure you wholeheartedly - is not what I or other people think is best.

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

who are you quoting

Works out the box, ships with a nice DE, is fast and snappy, easy to use/learn, few (if any) bugs.

Yeah ok, my installation does have a terminal.
I think my frustration came with not knowing whether it had a package manager like pacman or apt.

Mono version 4.2.3.4 is on the repository.
GNOME Terminal installed by default in the Budgie version.

No monodevelop and no flatpak either so no luck there I guess.

It's actually really nice, but as others have said, it's still lacking a bit in the software department. Certain libraries are missing from their repos and I can never get Wine to work as well as it does on Arch. I am keeping an eye on it though, it's improving constantly.

I love it so far.

Has most of the stuff I use in the standard repository. Tear free out of the gate and Very fast. Installed on a newer Asus and an oldass HP Elitebook so far. No issues.

They are working on a way to finally have good support for laptops with optimus now. Which would be amazing.

Installed it a few days ago. It's fucking amazing and the best distro so far.

It runs surprisingly smooth on my d2500. Ubuntu MATE, Mint, and Fedora E17 never ran this smooth.

I'm really happy with it.
Also boots up really fucking fast.

It is the best distro ever created.

Solus has Discord you dope. Not sure about the others though, you could always ask in the irc chat in #solus or #solus-chat

Manjaro + Xfce is most comfiest and best distro so far for me. YMMV. Use what fits you.

Does it support gnome theming?
Not that I could find.
Doesn't really matter though, I'm going to stick with Arch.

Not me lol

It should, yeah.

Fuck yes.
Been running on my desktop now with zero issues, boots up fast af, performs extremely well.
Migrated from Mint and I'm never going back.

Who the fuck is Kevin?

me

what's the program used to generate files like that?

What happened to this machine?

reminder that kevin is underage
archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6606842/#6607846
archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6606842/#6607855

please post that background

sceenfetch

screenfetch. For you just do sudo pacman -S screenfetch.
That was my old laptop, I just messed around with xrandr to get that screenshot. My old laptop's logic board fried so I had to get a new laptop (ThinkPad W530, with some upgrades).
Here

Tried it but it does nothing I can't do in GNOME.

tyvm

Distro = DE these days?

Nope. Solus is much more than a DE.

Boots/shutdows in a sec off an ssd which is the fastest I've seen so far with linux. Even faster than w10.
Uses up to 260-300mb of ram from what I've seen.

One could say it's a desktop version of clearlinux as it's made by an intel employee and contains ideas derived from it. Quite interesting.

>made by Intel employee
Does it play friendly with AMD processors if I try it on my laptop?

I've tried on an ancient 2011 APU and it works fine.

Is there a way to move the min, max, close buttons on the top right corner of a window to the top left corner?

Look at your monitor in a mirror

meh.
Tried the iso in a vm and usb stick.

Is there a way to move the taskbar to the bottom of the screen where it fucking belongs.

>solus
>best distro
Nope. Try Debian.

Or just get the new official Ubuntu Budgie release and get most of the benefit combined with massive repositories.

Irish bro?

hahaha oh wow I didn't even see that, here's a (You) for your You Counter.

Yeah, on the settings on the side panel.

Solus is more than a DE.

Much more.

How's the driver support for laptops? I've been looking for a distro that looks good and works OOTB

When are you going to get tired of the spam shilling, Kevin?

It's very good.
I didn't make this thread you dope. Maybe it's just a good distro and people are trying to spread the word. Shit, how long has Gentoo been shilled?

Good for desktop use, shit for laptop use

I beg to differ, it's been the best distro I've used on my laptop.

I didn't say that. I just asked when you would stop your own shilling. You should pay more attention in your English classes.

I've only made two threads on Solus in the span of like a week. All the other threads are just those spreading the good word. :)

Just installed it, currently trying it. Already an issue: the mouse arrow flickers all the time and there's noticeavle input lag. What's up with that?

Disable flicker over text? In the side panel settings it should be there iirc
It is pretty good

I have never tried it OP

Is it a DE you can install on other distros?

when I sudo pacman -S budgie nothing happens. so i guess not for me

Not sure if this is trollin or paid shills or if it actually is good.

Is it debian?fedora?or arch based?

It's not flicker over text, the mouse cursor literally vlinks all the time. Currently updating distro, hope that helps

It's a distro built from the ground up, really well, with its own DE, also built really well.

Boots up in under 3s for example

>distro built from the ground up
>uses all the same crap as other distros aside from the de
literally just install the de on any other distro

I have used Budgie with Arch. I might go back to t as soon as alot of the bugs are fixed. For example you can't even go into fullscreen without the top panel being in the way. not sure if this has been fixed yet.

But why? Solus itself runs much better.

Try disabling the setting anyways, I had the same issue on a laptop until I did that

Where exactly is that setting?

I don't exactly remember and can't check because I'm at work.

Try looking around the settings

I have, to no avail.

Display settings?
Mouse settings?
Settings panel in side panel thing?

Give me an honest answer to the following:

Is it buggy?
Is it buggier than Ubuntu?

>is it buggy
Not really, not in the few weeks I've been using it.

>is it buggier than Ubuntu
I didn't have any bugs on Ubuntu MATE.
You mean unity?

Yeah, the buggy pos unity

It's much smoother and more stable than unity

We've had this thread everyday for weeks now, please stop shilling.

You can install budgie in arch and whatever optimizations that solus does can be done in any distro. Use arch or void pls bois.

It isn't buggy, it's budgie.

What's the point in using these distros when solus is clearly the future of linux?

But why use anything but a distro that just werks?
Unless you need the modularity for an old POS PC.

It's got systemd. Yuck.

Solus(or evolve os) came before 10

?

Yes.

What the fuck is up with this distro?!
It revived my old as fuck Lenovo 3000.
Nothing ever ran as smooth. Even fucking youtube on 720p looks great.

Looks exactly same as ubuntu. Are you trying to fool us, op?

That's Ubuntu budgie remix you idiot.
Solus is much better than Ubuntu, only fault it has is lack of software in the repositories, but what most people need is already there.

Are you using Midori? That's what I use to browse the web on my old ass dual core Intel atom pc running Solus.

Works great.

Depends on your laptop 2bh.

Using Opera lastest version on Linux
I shit you not.
Hold on, i've yet to get screenfetch

>lack of software in the repositories

You forget to mention the thrill of rolling updates too.

C'mon solus shills, up your game, you can do better than 2 simultaneous threads at the same time.

I recommend giving midori a try. It's actually stable on Solus, not sure how and why. It used to crash so much on Ubuntu, Fedora, and Windows.

Yeah, i'm also going to test midori on it.
I'm still baffled on how well this performs on this abandoned laptop

posting my desktop

It's just really well made. The Distro and the DE.
It's also why people thinking that they can get the same experience by installing the DE on something bloated like Fedora or Ubuntu are idiots.

Will post a screenfetch too once I get home.

Why?