Debian is the FreeBSD of Linux. Are you running it?

Debian is the FreeBSD of Linux. Are you running it?

Yes, on my libre x200. On my desktop I have arch, and my server has Ubuntu server.

nah it's too negroid tier for my liking

I have installed it for longer than I have used it.
It might be stable for you, but I've never managed to use it for more than a week without breaking something.

I ran testing and then sid for several years. At the end of the day it was just quicker and easier to throw Ubuntu onto new machines.

off yourself, weeb

How come you aren't running Debian on your server?

Yea, I have it on my desktop alongside windows and also have stretch on my laptop.

Yesterday I decided to install Antergos on the laptop.

>I think there was some server issue yesterday because I couldn't install it
>This morning I finally install it with Openbox and Japanese locale
>log in screen is tearing like fuck
>log in and screen tearing stops
>numbers and symbols not rendering at all in terminal or system applications
>password entry when trying to use the package managers uses carrot a's instead of stars
>have no idea how to fix this shit
>debian just werked

Dude, stop spamming your desktop all over Sup Forums, you will be banned

How is it the freeBSD of linux?
>no ports tree
gentoo is actually the freebsd of linux, and you should be installing it.

I am going to move my desktop and server to proxmox(based on Debian) for easy virtualization. I am probably not going to have time to do this for a couple months though.

Arch was the easiest to set up my GPU passthrough on for my desktop at the time, but it looks like proxmox will be even better. With proxmox I am going to run all nonfree software in a VM. Right now I use nvidia GPU drivers and some games in my main GNU/Linux install, but with proxmox I will be able to segment it.

When I set up my server I wanted to get it set up quickly, and I was most familiar with ubuntu at the time. Once I get proxmox set up, I may run a freenas VM for my storage, with a PCI sata controller passed through. I will also be able to keep the proprietary cannon print drivers in a VM, I may even run a windows VM as a print server with the printer passed through, because sometimes cannon's poorly made GNU/Linux driver will put dots on the page. Running everything in a VM should also help my server uptime and stability, as different components can be restarted individually, and I will be able to test things without risking breaking my system.

yes ofc

pretty aesthetic

Numix Blue ... as you can see on the screenfetch

Open Indiana?

Ancient kernel

I never update anything

>Debian is the FreeBSD of Linux.
+1 for admitting Debian and BSD are shit.

did you ban the pink anime macintosh tranny? you gotta admit that desktop was pretty clean looking

>Open Indiana?
Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

>Debian is the FreeBSD of Linux.
What did he mean by this?

>Are you running it?
no

I had to install quartus for one of my classes too. It is the only nonfree program on my libre x200.

posting my distro

GIVE ME THAT CSS YOU FAT CUNT

pls do not call me that

C'mon. Debian can't be t͟h͟a͟t bad.

Are you a wizard

SORRY FATTY

PLS

Icarus Verilog works fine, and is WAAAYYY quicker at compiling, but I have no idea what I'm doing without the netlist viewer thing quartus has.

Good luck with your studies, CS/Engineering bro.

i weigh 53 kgs which is not fat

hello skeleton brother
>am 50kg 186cm

CSS PLS MR SKELTAL
PLS

>50 KG at 6'1"

Holy shit how are you alive?

The wizard of combining low line.

i'm not really talltho lik 5'5" or 5'6"

No, I'm using Slackware, it's more unix-like and similar to freebsd than debian.

Thanks, I will install that so that I can mess around with it sometime. Compiling does take forever, even on the university computers.

lel mr skeltal

>Holy shit how are you alive?
I kinda look like I've been in Auschwitz but otherwise I'm fine.

im a girl

No, I run OpenBSD.

>Debian is the FreeBSD of Linux. Are you running it?
I would say Sourcemage GNU/Linux is, but his portslike package manager is far better than anything on BSD. They even try to port it to BSD, but fuck that.

>systemd

No thanks.

this
anything that uses systemdicks is nothing like BSD.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

thank you for that clarification good sir!

>Debian is the FreeBSD of Linux
Not it's not.
Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is.

Anyone else tired of this worthless BSD shilling? The ports package manager are nothing new, other distros have it including Gentoo and Source Mage, the only other thing is the installer which Slakware is the king.

Who would use FreeBSD or OpenBSD when GNU/Linux exists? What benefit or advantage is there? None, as far as I know.

noirunubuntu.png

MFW

Adding to that, if you want a kernel to tinker with (comp sci grads) you are better off with the HURD.

>hurd
>a kernel written by the same group lead by a guy who believes su shouldn't have a wheel group because muh power to the people
>the kernel that only runs on fucking x86
no

HURD is an incomplete mess with no real world application or need for existence. No harm in tinkering with it, but also no good reason to either.

Tinkering with Linux (the kernel) would be much more informative and useful.

Tinking with Unix V6 would be useful.

ok i laughed

Only on my server.

Who is the girl on your desktop?

hahahahahahahahahaha
is this a real comment???

How many times do you fuck up before you learn to read before clicking "Y" in terminal?

Yes, in the form of Xubuntu.

Debian Gnu/kFreeBsd is the freeBSD of freeBsd

If you wanna tinker with something, it better be well-documented and follow sane coding standards. Hurd does neither.

Linux is literally Windows open source edition at this point. Feel free to use it if you like crapware.

Everyone's gradually realizing Linux is not comfy on the desktop anymore and migrating to TrueOS.

On the server side of things, Linux' been dead on the water for a while now. FreeBSD is the way to go for storage and network infrastructure is pretty much OpenBSD's turf, with maybe a little bit of room for pfSense/OPNsense.

You only use Linux these days if you want cheap web servers or VM hypervisors.

>coding

>Debian is the FreeBSD of Linux. Are you running it?
No, I'm running FreeBSD, the FreeBSD of BSDs

I do not want your systemd-tainted SJWware no thanks.

What's so bad about systemd?

whats so bad about openrc/sysvinit

Why would they make systemd if those were working fine?

No support for modern software like GNOME.

Outdated.

thats a good question user.
>gnome
OpenRC gets updated multiple times a month.

Nice racism, jackass. Stop posting.

Sup Forums isn't your safe space.

1- Not funny.

2- Against the rules.

3- Not work safe.

Now go and stay go.

>browsing Sup Forums at work
don't you have something better to doing.

>posting offensive irrational content just to feel edgy and troll people

Don't YOU have something better to be doing?

So your argument is that Linux is crapware and isn't comfy? Your system can be as minimal as you want, and you can use whatever DE or WM you want.

What DEs are available in the BSDs? What advantage is there to running it over Linux? You still didn't answer the question. I wonder why.

>freebsd security

1- Very funny.
2- Not against the rules.
3- Perfectly work safe.

Go back to plebbit

>Not against the rules
3. You will not post any of the following outside of Sup Forums: Trolls, flames, racism...

Fuck no. Debian is everything wrong with Linux. They fuck with the basic directory structure, compile drivers into the kernel instead of as modules, have outdated as fuck packages with a garbage package manager, no documentation ANYWHERE except for a bunch of threads on shitty forums where the problem is just marked solved because they reinstalled it from scratch.

hahahahahahahaha that was actually funneh!

You're getting trolled friendo

>kFreeBSD
>Linux

pick one

What would be the OpenBSD of Linux?
What would be the Solaris of Linux?

>garbage package manager
?

>no documentation ANYWHERE
?

>They fuck with the basic directory structure
?

> Debian is the FreeBSD of Linux
> systemd distro
> FreeBSD of Linux
It seems to me that you are mentally damaged. FreeBSD is minimalistic and clean, yet powerful. Debian isn't really minimalistic.

>What would be the OpenBSD of Linux?
QubesOS

devilish

>rx 480 has no support on debian

Fuck

m8 you need Xen. Much more secure than proxmox yet still very usable. FreeNAS devs by the way do not recommend using it in a VM, but if you go for it, they say to use either VMware esxi or Xen. KVM (which proxmox uses) is not recommended.

And Xen has great support for PCI pass through, so you'll not miss it.

Gentoo Hardened

Hell fucking yes my bro.

I refuse to suck poettering cock, I use gentoo without any of the shit made by that fucking faggot.