/AG/ ANTERGOS/ARCH GENERAL

/AG/ ANTERGOS/ARCH GENERAL
Why didn't anyone tell me antergos was so good?
>God tier package management
>AUR has literally everything even android studio
>Fastest distro I've ever used
>No graphical hiccups
>No fiddling with compton to get rid of screen tearing
>Stable
>The most useful community
>Easy install
>Rolling distro
Holy fuck this amazing
Post desktops, discuss your favorite packages, and post issues and solutions

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xoW3bqnr7tw
fishshell.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i dont like pacman

Cause it's literally just an installer for arch

I'd like to but the installer shat the bed

It's a good distro.If you want you can replace bash with zsh and I've made myself a script to install the programs I use the most,I suggest to do this yourself.I even made a script to clean unecessary cache or old package version to keep the system slim.

I tried

I'm actually thinking about migrating from debian

Never really liked the installer(from my experience it's quite unstable), but Arch is obviously god tier for a laptop. For a Desktop machine however, the rolling release adds just a tad too much instability to the system for me to tolerate.

so what do you recommend for a desktop machine?

Ubuntu minimal :^)

I'm currently running Fedora. Since yum got axed I can't really find a flaw in it anymore(besides the name). As an extra you get extremely convenient .rpm packages.

>stable
KYS you filthy liar

I really love Antergos. Looks great OOB with cinnamon and I haven't had any trouble with it since I installed it 18 months ago.

Compton is 5 minutes of "fiddling" to make it the default. There is a very good config on github you can copypaste that i am too lazy to find right now. Easy peasy.

It would be a lot better if it wasn't broken by default.

sudo pacman -Syy before running chnci

if you install compton on arch it does auto now without a config btw. i didn't even us eone and it works out of box once installed.

Pacman is by far the worst package manager I've ever used. I mean for gods sakes it doesn't even have a sensible syntax, -S instead of just install wtf.

apt has many unnecessary commands which are fused in pacman.
It's faster than apt and rpm in my experience.
>sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade
>sudo pacman -Syu
Choose which is easier.

That doesn't matter. Didn't you read what he said? He said it was the worst.

It is the worst.

At apt still uses human readable commands instead of random flags to be all l33t.

The only thing bad about it is the name and logo

Very true

have nvidia card
try archanywhere = black screen
try antergos = same

manjaro = werks

why? where did I fucked up?

Your monitor is plugged into the motherboard, not the video card

S - sync
y - refresh
u - update
R - remove
Rs - remove with dependencies
Scc - clean cached packages
You're retard if you can't memorize these. You basically have to memorize y for refresh.

>Want to re-setup arch because I shat files everywhere in 3 years of not giving a fuck about my laptop
>Starting to get to me
>Remember the install process
>Try out antergos
>it just werks
>slap on i3 and zsh, rice a bit and good to go

Bretty gud. Like Crunchbang back in the day, in a way.
Well, it's kinda bloated with the packages it installs but oh well, that's what you get.

>AUR has literally everything even android studio
>No graphical hiccups
>No fiddling with compton to get rid of screen tearing
>Stable
>The most useful community
>Easy install
>Rolling distro
This is all thanks to Arch you fucking freeloading piece of shit.

I'm sorry that your time isn't valuable.

It's not like Antergos is hiding that fact

>>Easy install
>This is all thanks to Arch

"I really, really want to install arch, but it's too hard" - the distro

See:

>following directions word by word is hard

It's just fucking useless, is all.

I'm not saying I can't memorize them, I actually used to use Arch before I realized that making things unnecessarily complicated is STUPID. Just because flags aren't hard to memorize doesn't mean they are somehow better than just using human readable commands that even your grandma could understand.

>apt purge
>apt autoremove
>apt autoclean
End this meme right now.

This

Then use a different distro, like Fedora, just dnf install, remove and update. But even if you are using apt commands like purge, autoremove and autoclean are still more descriptive then pacman -Scc or pacman -Rs. PLEASE JUST ADMIT THAT YOUR TIME SINK DISTRO IS A TIME SINK.

Again, rmp is way too slow. apt is not that slow but still... (and also updating, even with bash alias it's time-intensive). pacman is pure gold.
It's definitely worth learning few flags.

I'll only admit it's time sink when it comes to portability when you're not from US/UK. I can't install it on school PC because it's downloading all base/base-devel packages and our internet is slow.

>it's too hard
No, it's unnecessarily complicated. They were going to have an installer but the dev left and they just said fuck it. Now, you retards claim it "keeps the normies out" and use it as a reason to get on some weird neckbeard high horse.

Please provide proof that pacman is faster than rpm or apt.

The Arch wiki is by far the best I have ever used and Antergos itself is excellent.
I really do think you guys should keep up your elitism as it actually seems to provide results when it comes to people who know what they're doing and can share it in perfect clarity.

The fist time I tired a passthrough, I relied on a Mint user's guide and failed miserably because he wrote a guide without understanding a godamned thing he did and didn't provide purpose with his instructions.

I then tried the Arch wiki and succeeded, each potential issue was addressed not lines after they were implemented.

You can call me a casual faggot any time if it produces this level of outstanding quality.

I just installed Manjaro, finally a distro where everything just werkz (including the installer) out of the box, and there are no visible bugs (yet)
It's telling me that there are 72 updates available, should I? It's like 200mbs of shit

A shit one at that. Fucking bugged to shit.

Dont, there is no reason except the aur, pacman and wiki (which applies to debian for the most part)

Unless unstable isnt bleeding edge enough for you, you don't need to switch.

I'm going to commit logical fallacy here, but fuck it.
Personal experience. I've tried both of them. pacman and apt get about the same results (apt is a bit slower) but for rpm... I usually waited for a minute to install vim.
Yet again, other people love rpm. It could just be my hardware.

Why dont yall just fucking install gentoo

I'm tempted to try Manjaro now, Antergos shit the fucking bed for me.

Suspend doesn't work with a luks/dm encrpyted GRUB.

I keep getting a black screen on my laptop everytime I try to resume from suspend. This is a known issue and is being blamed on the kernel right now.

But If I wasn't such a lazy ass I bet I could find a wrokaround in mkinitcpio.

Other than that theres a bug if you want to play gaymes on AMD cards as well as a huge amount of static using the GPL drivers, so I had to switch to the proprietry ones right away.

Other than that I like Manjaro and finicky Arch distros in general.

>being to stupid to install Arch
wow

>to stupid to
Wow

Ubuntu Gnome. Just werks without Unity's bullshit.

I think they're even working on a replacement for Software Center too.

>falling for obvious b8
Wow

>replying to a shit post
Wow

>replying to my shitpost replying to a shitpost
Wow

Guy with same name from above. The misspelled word in my post was actually a typo that just-so happened to look like bait.

Using Antergos with Nvidia right now. Just gotta use the nvidia fallback for the live cd. After you install, you have to boot into CLI and install the nvidia drivers that way.

>he doesn't use a sane shell with autocompletion and hints if he doesn't know or forgot the parameters

I'm having a bunch of problems with my first Antergos install.

First, I've installed it with Japanese language and locale and English keyboard for default (I installed fcitx-mosz for Japanese input).

In most applications and the terminal, 0-9 and various symbols !@#$%^ etc. don't render, but all other text renders fine. I tried this with Openbox and then installed and tried with Cinnamon to the same effect.

Also, the login screen is slow as hell and has screen tearing, but that all stops once logged in. Firefox takes like 10 seconds to start up and many things are very slow. I've also had a few freezes that I had to hard reboot out of.

It's not my specs because Debian with XFCE was running completely without issues. It's a Thinkpad 410s

Here's a screenshot

Simple solution to the text: stop being a weeb faggot cuntflap.

Why did you feel the need to edit out your name / etc.? Nobody cares. At all.

But yes, Antergos is shit. The installer was 100% broken for months, and when you get it installed, this shit happens. If you wait for a few minutes one of the arch niggers will come and tell us that we're the problem. Imagine that.

It always pisses me off when people complain about commands, if you don't like having to type them in every time, it takes just a couple of minutes to create your own alias commands in your bash.rc / alias.rc files.
I shortened 'apt-get install' to 'agi' but you can just pick whatever is convenient for you. You aren't trapped.

kek, this

I love it as well

>stable
meh

>AUR has literally everything
That's because of arch

>For a Desktop machine however, the rolling release adds just a tad too much instability to the system for me to tolerate.

My only problem with it, really.

It even has it's own theme song.
youtube.com/watch?v=xoW3bqnr7tw

Arch boy here, whats the difference between Yum and Dnf? I've got Centos and Fedora installed on virtual machines but haven't spent too much time with them.

>using freeloader as in an insult within the Linux community

Really?

I just installed Chromium on Manjaro through pacman, and it runs ridiculously slow, like if I had 50 tabs open (and this is a rather old computer). What could be the cause of this? It's been blazing fast on every other distro I've tried

Once you learn what the flags mean, it becomes faster than typing out entire words which can be mispelled. It's not a timesink if it saves you time.

>y - refresh
>random capitalization
Why not use 'sync', 'refresh', 'update', 'remove', etc? Because you want to feel all 1337.

>you should reach over your shoulder to wipe your ass so that you can use some shitty software
>instead of picking things that are better by default
I've got better shit to do than try to desperately acquire nerdcred and impress Sup Forums.

You are making it sound more complicated than it is, aliases are there to make repetitive tasks faster and easier. There is no point in going on about 'nerd cred', if you think there are better tools than have at it, what ever floats your boat. For the most of us Pacman is a really powerful and versatile tool and I prefer it to apt these days.

this

Try a different font, google for it. Also, you are victim of bloat if your software takes more than 2 seconds for running, try to debloat it or change the distro.

>Why didn't anyone tell me antergos was so good?

Because it's not, installer usually breaks something, I don't know why and I guess antergos' mantainers don't know either.

I'm interested in this.
What package I have to download?

This. If you need an installer go with architect

We were discussing native pacman vs native apt.
You can do it with every package manager desu.
Also, pacman is faster.
Because it's easier to type -R than remove.

Antergos installer's nvidia drivers are only for pre-400 series cards. No, seriously. Install Antergos with only intel graphics drivers, then follow the bumblebee for nvidia optimus wiki instructions

Antergos is great when you get it to work, but holy shit they need to work on the installer

Manjaro has a better installer, but a worse repo.

I prefer arch anywhere personally

I would too but keymap choice is poor

> what is an alias

one is tasty and the other is duke nukem forever

>installer usually breaks something

Installed it 3 times, never broke anything.

Read later, moron.
You can alias with every package manager. What difference does typing make?
If you alias apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade as update, you're basically forced to do pacman -Syyu instead of pacman -Syu.
More time extensive in every single aspect. You spend twice as much the time to update 0.01MB package.

What the fuck are you even on about you utter moron

fish
fishshell.com/

Just finished rewriting dwm for my laptop

I never had problems with installing antergos, installed it in 5 different computers.

Nice meme Sup Forums

This. Elitism is good if you're actually elite, and from what I've seen with arch, it is.

tried moving to a newer kernel?
Pretty easy to do in manjaro

But you can access the aur?

Architect doesn't even exist any more afaik.

And this is why people should learn to install arch instead of depending of installers. It's not that goddamn hard

I've got Antergos running on two of my laptops. The only issues I've had were with MATE, and those were pretty minimal.

/thread