Make Linux more user friendly

I recently tried Ubuntu to see what the fuss is about Linux
these were my main concerns

>horrible font
how do I make it look like windows font?

>explorer
the file explorer is a nightmare
I can't navigate correctly and it really decreases my freedom compared to windows file explorer

>start menu on the left side of the screen
who the hell came up with this shit?
can't even move it to the right side

>settings
very limited settings on monitor and mouse
Windows settings is much much more varied

how do I circumvent these problems?

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/Microsoft_Fonts
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment
howtogeek.com/251616/how-to-move-the-unity-desktops-launcher-to-the-bottom-of-your-screen-on-ubuntu-16.04/
askubuntu.com/questions/599113/how-to-change-unity-side-laucher-position-from-left-to-right-ubuntu-14-04
reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/553v1p/gnome_322_includes_option_to_disable_mouse/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration
help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/color-assignprofiles.html
displaycal.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=1TxXjJKa6jM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

All your complaints are just because you're not used to / don't know how to use something different.

>start menu
it's not a start menu you fig, it's a launcher
>how do I make it look like windows font?
Pretty sure there's a setting for this. Anyway, what's this "Windows font" you're speaking about? Ubuntu (the font) is pure fucking sex - and I'm not even a Linux guy.

>Ubuntu
>representative of GNU/Linux

It's like buying a Samsung phone so you can try out Android; you don't do that - you get a Nexus.

Infinality.

i'm a recent refugee to linux, try mint with cinnamon

it is the same as windows. as for fonts, idk if there's much of a difference I'm not a girly faggot who notices shit like that

>start menu on left side
ok i got trolled but already typed this shit out

>Anyway, what's this "Windows font" you're speaking about?
see that on the left?
I absolutely fucking hate that font
see that on the right?
that is the font I love
how do I make text on ubuntu look like that

Horrible font? Are you fucking blind you cunt REEEEEEEEEEEEE

But no seriously, Ubuntu is the best font family in ze whole world and UR RONG

Go back to Windows.
You dont deserve that Thinkpad in the picture.

Quit being lazy and go learn something. Linux has tons of documentation a simple google search for "how to customize font in linux" will tell you. From there all you need to do is look up the font style windows uses.

>All your complaints are just because you're not used to / don't know how to use something different
ok then please try the following
>open a text editor program
>click 'open file' or whatever
>on the window rightclick on a directory or a file
does it give at least the same options as right clicking on a directory or file in the file explorer?
no?
see pic related (ignore language)
on windows it does and I use it frequently

Good thing it isn't his

also can you do this in ubuntu?
because I would like to know how

What pic?

sorry
this pic

A File dialog is different then a file manager

Well, if you don't like it go back to Windows. It's not hard.

Learn how to use the command line, you pussy.

This

/thread

it doesn't matter what you call it
it just doesn't werk

weak bait

By using Solus instead

>horrible font
I'm pretty sure it's just that you're so used to Windows' sub-par fonts that anything different would be shit to you. Ubuntu is pretty good with fonts, better than Windows and most if not all other distros by default. If you want to get your ugly fonts back then follow this help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/Microsoft_Fonts and change the fonts in the settings.

>muh 90s user interfaces
There are a myriad of other DE's open to you, unlike in Windows. KDE is more for you.

>explorer
Literally what? Windows's file explorer is literal fucking shit. Even winbabies will admit this.
>no tabs
>no thumbnail previews for many file types, including fucking webm
>no ftp or sftp support

>settings
Works On My Machine(TM). You can probably get more fine-grained control over monitor and mouse settings than Windows through tools that aren't in the default GUI frontends but are still there.

It's not even bait,man.
I'm being serious, you can use that command line to do a bunch of shit with linux,you twat. Ex. Making it look better.

If people use linux, It's because it gives user the freedom to do whatever they want.

Why the fuck do you want to use a file dialog as a file manager

I've worked help desk and that image is severely triggering.

>decreases my freedom compared to windows file explorer

don't try to divert topic
just show me how do I access the same context menu in the dialog manager as in the file manager

please read
and

>How can I make Linux have Windows' font?
>How can I make Linux have Windows-like file explorer?
>How can I make Linux have Windows-like "start menu"?
>How can I make my Linux more like Windows

You don't. If you like Windows so fucking much then keep it. What the fuck did you expect?

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

Go back to windows.

I expected to jump to Linux while not having to relearn literally everything

How dare a completely free OS not be the same as something that costs money.

>horrible font
I hardly think someone will agree with you on this one but if you're interested just change the system font.

>the file explorer is a nightmare
I also don't like nautilus but you can install other file explorers.
>I can't navigate correctly and it really decreases my freedom compared to windows file explorer
Explain how.

That's the most common way to use it but try another desktop environment with more customization, it's obvious that unity doesn't suits you but unlike windows at least on ubuntu you have options.

>very limited settings on monitor and mouse
Depends on the desktop environment.

>how do I circumvent these problems?
On ubuntu you need to install unity tweak tool but you may be better with kde, try kde neon for example.

Learning new things, especially when you're older is actually good for you brain. Now go ahead, and learn to suit GNU/Linux to your needs!

If everything was exactly the same, then why even jump to a new OS? Just keep using windows you retarded faggot.

You're right regarding the gtk's file chooser but try the following on windows:
>Divide the explorer in the same window to move files from one to another folder.
>Open a folder on a different tab.
on linux i use it frequently.

>Explain how
and
>windows
>"you see that folder icon? you can rightclick it and it will always bring up the same context menu"

>linux
>"you see that folder icon? you can rightclick it. maybe it brings up a context menu, maybe not. maybe it brings up a limited context menu that does not contain the options you want. good luck with that you fucker AHHAHAHA"

ubuntu is mean

Try Mint. It's the distro aimed at people who are coming from Windows.

Obvious b8 is obvious.

>I expected to jump to Linux while not having to relearn literally everything
You can't even jump into OSX without relearning things. It's a different operating system. Realize Linux has different desktop environments, window managers, and file managers. It's not like Windows or OSX where you have only one option. Ubuntu is the go to for new Linux users, but many people dislike Unity for one reason or another.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

>unity

Use a proper DE if you want functionality

XFCE or LXDE

>not KDE
>not GNOME

Gnome is just as bad as unity, KDE is not Windows-user friendly

Love KDE, but it's vastly different in a bunch of little ways

Mint with Cinnamon is basically Windows 7

>linux
>"You have tons of options and you're on control of your computer"
>"You support open standards that allows everyone to compete avoiding you to marry with one company"

>windows
>"Your options are limited and your computer is remotely administered unless you block updates and you accept all your info to be shared with microsoft's parthners"
>"You cannot even change your icon theme, system font or widget theme without touching system files"
>"your changes can easily get reverted by the next update anyway"
>"You cannot have a proper package manager that solves dependencies for you"
>"By using windows you support anti-competitive measures and increase your dependency on microsoft products."

see

>You cannot have a proper package manager that solves dependencies for you
what dependencies?

>what dependencies?
On windows you have multiple copies of every dependency which is a lazy solution when it's not necessary to do that.

You cant because they are different software.

If you want to use Windows just use it. Linux is not windows. Fuck off and die.

>different software

>core part of the same operating system
>not even trying to function the same
huh

>KDE is not Windows-user friendly
I heard the opposite 10 years ago.

They serve different purposes

Please explain, on windows the file chooser uses the file explorer directly but on linux different libraries has their own file choosers so you don't need to have the entire desktop environment installed to use the program. This is an advantage on the windows side because you have the exact same features on the file chooser and the file explorer, on the other side we know that certain features on microsoft products depends strongly on microsoft's products, for example internet explorer.

>font
There are font settings in most distros, play around with them. Alternatively, install Infinality

>Explorer
Install Thunar.

>Start menu
What the fuck are you on about? Do you mean the taskbar? Pretty sure you can move that shit around.

>Settings
Now you're just being obtuse.

>There are font settings in most distros, play around with them. Alternatively, install Infinality
Reminder that windows cannot change the system font easily and that the font rendering code is in the kernel.

>Now you're just being obtuse.
He's clearly being vague on purpose.

>Make Linux great again
>Deport systemd & build wall so it won't creep back in
>???
>Profit

>vague on purpose
>very limited settings on monitor and mouse
how are these vague for you?
okay lets get specific here
how do you change mouse acceleration speed in ubuntu default gui?
how do you change monitor refresh rate?
color calibration?

should have installed Mint Cinnamon if you wanted something like windows

>Refresh rate/colour calibration
If you have an NVIDIA card with the proprietary drivers installed, you can use nvidia-settings for that. Don't know about AMD.

>Mouse acceleration
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf

>how do you change mouse acceleration speed in ubuntu default gui?
>/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf

I'm not going to do your Googling for you faggot. There are no GUI options. Use cart/xinput

Try Ubuntu GNOME.

Now with horrible fonts.

Install a font installer:
$sudo apt install typecatcher
and choose your favourite font straight from google's repo

>I want MS fonts
MS fonts are objectively worse but you can still install them:
$sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extrash

>Freedom in explorer
Install a file explorer named "nemo"
$sudo apt install nemo
nemo gives you much more controls. But if you want even more functionality you can install dolphin

>start menu
1. Get used to it, makes more sense with wide screen, or
2.Follow the instructions here
howtogeek.com/251616/how-to-move-the-unity-desktops-launcher-to-the-bottom-of-your-screen-on-ubuntu-16.04/

>Monitor settings
You need to KDE Neon for high configuration flexibility. But what settings are you after?

xset*

Linux is Linux, windows is windows, dont expect Linux to look and function exactly like windows, because they are different operating systems,

Install him a mint.

Also, don't use noobuntu, install debian\arch\majaro instead.

>>start menu
>1. Get used to it, makes more sense with wide screen, or
>2.Follow the instructions here
>howtogeek.com/251616/how-to-move-the-unity-desktops-launcher-to-the-bottom-of-your-screen-on-ubuntu-16.04/
nonono
read the OP post again
I want to move it to the right side of the monitor like I use it in windows

>But what settings are you after?
I use 3 monitors
>LCD 60hz
>LCD 144hz
>CRT different resolutions and refresh rates
I just want it to werk without hacking into the pentagon

>I want to move it to the right side of the monitor like I use it in windows
askubuntu.com/questions/599113/how-to-change-unity-side-laucher-position-from-left-to-right-ubuntu-14-04

>Tripple monitor setup takes hacking
I don't know that feeling

google is your best friend to learn stuff .
unity desktop environment sucks anyways . XFCE and Cinnamon both have "windows" like environment with "start" menu on the bottom left corner.
just learn how to modify linux since you can literally customize it A LOT

>Reflection
what does it do

oh, that's better. Sorry it's just that a lot of people in this board spreads FUD just for the sake of baiting and it's hard to tell when it's an honest question.

>how do you change mouse acceleration speed in ubuntu default gui?
On unity i'm pretty sure you can't in the mouse options so you're right in this point (it can be done with other tools tho). Gnome 3.22 has an option to change this but i'm not sure if ubuntu 16.10 has gnome 3.22. IIRC unity relies on gnome so this should be different in the future.
reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/553v1p/gnome_322_includes_option_to_disable_mouse/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration

>how do you change monitor refresh rate?
Pretty sure that's on the display options directly by default, you can also use the compiz configuration tool if you need something more advanced.

>color calibration?
i'm not sure on ubuntu, do you need something like this?
help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/color-assignprofiles.html
If you have an nvidia card you can use the nvidia control panel.
Or you maybe need something like this?:
displaycal.net/

On an interesting note consider that unity is designed to not have a lot of customization options on purpose but you can get a lot of settings that are common on most desktop environments with unity-tweak tool:

I'm not sure about other desktop environments but plasma 5 has all those options by default if you're interested, seems that unity is too limited for you in general. I don't recommend you kubuntu tho, try kde neon which is based on ubuntu LTS too.

good luck.

kevin

*forgot the linux about unity tweak tool. Take in account unity is done like this on purpose but this tool may help you to get a better experience if you want to definitely use unity:youtube.com/watch?v=1TxXjJKa6jM

it seems the shooter wont read reflected view

>very limited settings on monitor
Interestingly i have a friend who has an old computer whose display was damaged and a 1cm width line on the bottom on the screen was unusable. I installed lubuntu 14.04 and created an small script to define a custom resolution that positions itself in a way that avoids that 1cm~ on the bottom of the screen. Because lubuntu is pretty lightweight she still uses the computer to this day. On windows i don't managed to do that, so in my opinion windows monitor options are way more limited.

Who?

>i have a friend
>she

My wife's son can confirm it :^)

>mint
kek, try arch

Why would you need that? On KDE, at least, you can make folders and delete files, and you can also drag and drop files and folders. If you need more for whatever reason, you can open the file manager from the right-click menu and do stuff there. Having the ability to compress, encrypt, send, etc. just clutters an interface designed for saving files. (That being said copy, cut, and rename would be nice to have.)

>arch
kek, try gentoo

y-you t-too

>horrible font
>being retarded
Stick to Windows.

It has a beautiful font, what are you talking about? You realize you can just change your default font and it's actually much easier than on Windows?
"Explorer" is much better on Ubuntu desu.
You can move the "start menu" to the bottom. Also there's more than Ubuntu, there are 4-5 flavours of it with different desktop environments. You should have picked Ubuntu Mate or kubuntu. Always do research before installing something, retard.
Also, install Zorin instead, it's perfect for someone as stupid as you are who's used to Windows.

This is quality b8

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

Why do you nerdy faggots want so much that everyone should learn everything bullshit imagined by linux devopers like systemd and the command line?

I just want an OS/kernal that "just werk" but I also don't like getting cucked by apple/microshit. Is this too much asking that I don't want to waste my neurons with your piece of shit bloatware?

>Thinking this is a serious thread and not POO IN LOO shitposting.

Why do you think your opinions/necessities matter?
>I just want an OS/kernal that "just werk" but I also don't like getting cucked by apple/microshit
Manlet crying, the post.

>Why do you think your opinions/necessities matter?
Why do you think your life matter? kys kys kys fella :^)

>triggered

>make it more like windows font
He prefers hideous font rendering

>He prefers hideous font rendering
no I'm not
I just really hate the ubuntu font
at work we use redhat rhel and the font is really great there
I wish ubuntu used that too

>tabbed folders
tried it once, found it completely useless. multiple folders are more functional in separate windows

either right click and 'open in new window' or open while holding Ctrl

yo MS paint is so much better than gimp though

>On windows you have multiple copies of every dependency
not quite
>when it's not necessary to do that
disk space is cheap, it's better to have some extra usage than to worry about dependency problems

>lazy solution

I bet you also find tabs in your browser useless?
POO IN THE LOO

>gentoo
Try FreeBSD

webpages are not folders

I tried Linux once (xubuntu) and got frustrated trying install something outside the repository and enabling vsync.

>Tyrone tries to learn and gets frustrated
>Proceeds to burn a car