/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Kicking off the topic, where can I find the Galaxy S7 Android Nougat ROM? I can't get into the beta program thanks to being cucked out of a slot

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/how-to/nougat-beta-g935fedge-password-links-t3497078
pcpartpicker.com/list/VpqQGf
cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
strawpoll.me/11629478
drooodle.com/drdl
rufus.akeo.ie/
windowsiso.net/
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/how-to/odin-samsung-galaxy-s7-flat-sm-g930f-t3496949
lifehacker.com/how-to-tell-if-your-health-insurance-covers-mental-heal-1625153418
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The frat bros next door won't stop singing sea shanties. wat do?

my 3tb seagate started clicking and now about 10% of all my data is corrupt. is there anyway to fix it? i think the heads are stuck. i don't care about the data on it, i just want to fix it

blast some alestorm?

legit stupid question:

how do you add an extended warranty to your purchase from the microsoft store online

I'm getting into emulation on Android.

I'm using a Galaxy Note 4 runnning Android 6.0.1 and I want to use a Dualshock 4 wired.

Apparently I should be able to simply plug it in and go, but nothing happens at all and it isn't recognized. Is the cable faulty?

>Windows 10 boots in seconds on my SSD
>Connect an HDD that I own, Windows takes about 15 minutes to boot now
>Connect another HDD, either on its own or with the other one mentioned, and Windows just loops on the blue logo spinner

What the FUCK is happening here, Sup Forums?

Brackets or Notepad++

.multiple bootloaders
.the disk is bad hence ridiculous load time

got a new external drive. it's connects via usb. any cons if i start installing all windows games on this thing? like what would happen if it disconnects while i play?

Slow read/write speeds. limited to USB instead of the SATA cable.

slow read even if it's usb 3.0?

I don't browse Sup Forums that often and I'm kind of a retard when it comes to building computers, can someone help me out with a computer that costs less than 700 and has an SSD/bluray, & can play any new games at a good framerate?

forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/how-to/nougat-beta-g935fedge-password-links-t3497078

I could only find s7 edge rom. Keep looking at XDA regularly I'm sure somebody will turn it up

I want to know if it's possible to select a specific Tor entry node. IE I want to route all my traffic through my buddy outside the US who offered if I could find a way to do it.

How much better does the regular ps4 look on a 4k TV compared to a 1080 TV? I have enough for a 4k TV but feel its barely necessary because barely anything we watch comes in 4k not to mention the highest size I can comfortably fit is 40 inches which most say 4k looks vest on TVs at least 65 inches?

tl;dr is a 4k TV worth it right now? The only thing likely to look improved is my ps4

Check Newegg, their filter is reasonably comprehensive and simple since you already know what you're looking for.

Or the more entertaining option, build your own:

www.pcpartpicker.com

Logical Increments.

1080p content will actually look worse on a 4k display.

How so

Upscaling

There is not enough 4k content out to warrant a 4k screen

Stuff always looks best at native resolution. A 4k display doesn't add anything to 1080p content. It just highlights its shortcomings. This is assuming it doesn't have anti-aliasing that doesn't suck.

Thanks, I made this:

pcpartpicker.com/list/VpqQGf

Any thoughts or improvements I could do?

Not him, but how much worse are we talking about? I now have two TVs in my apartment. One is a 42'' 1080p, and the other a 55'' 4K - I just got the latest, and the size difference turns it into my now main display, so I'm curious.

There's some better value CPUs.

cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Not really worse at all since 4k is exactly double 1080p, so no approximations. Should look pretty much the same.

Nigga you're just fucking retarded

Take a screenshot of 1080p
Now scale that up 2.5x
Look how shitty it looks?
Thats upscaling
Either you're retarded or just fucking blind

Had a look around for info on the bootloader idea and found Dual-boot Repair. Its giving me shit about Z: being my location of my firmware boot partition? Anyway, some background info...

My original issue is that my PC would start acting super slow and shit would just grind to a halt, and I'd need to reboot. It was lightning fast beforehand, your typical SSD Windows installation. Just no idea why it packed in out of the blue.

After struggling to get it to boot into using a USB Windows installer, I finally managed to format it and begin a new install of Windows 10. However, this new issue of old hard drives stopping it from booting has arisen.

Is it possible there's a bootloader on the old drive I have that's causing this, then? I don't see how the HDD being a bad disk could stop my SSD loading Windows.

strawpoll.me/11629478

strawpoll.me/11629478

strawpoll.me/11629478

strawpoll.me/11629478

>He's alone on Sup Forums on a Friday night

My bf is working. But I should get off here and git gud.

Some websites are showing my ip as canadian.

For example Sup Forums shows me as american. And so does speedtest. However certain chans and some trace tools show me as canadian.

Im not a leaf. Im just a spic in Florida.
What gives?

Frontier is my ISP btw. It used to be verizon but i guess they sold all there shit.

Guys, does anyone here know javascript? I have this Problem. I try to draw a shape with 4 corners. So I use the beginpath() function. I repeat that every frame 6 times and after almost 30 seconds the framerate dropped very very low. What is the problem with my code?? Been searching for days:
function drawFront() {
ctx.beginPath();
ctx.moveTo( // front
scene.box.func.calcPos(scene.box.names[i], 0, 0, 0).x,
scene.box.func.calcPos(scene.box.names[i], 0, 0, 0).y);
ctx.lineTo(
scene.box.func.calcPos(scene.box.names[i], 1, 0, 0).x,
scene.box.func.calcPos(scene.box.names[i], 1, 0, 0).y);
ctx.lineTo(
scene.box.func.calcPos(scene.box.names[i], 1, 1, 0).x,
scene.box.func.calcPos(scene.box.names[i], 1, 1, 0).y);
ctx.lineTo(
scene.box.func.calcPos(scene.box.names[i], 0, 1, 0).x,
scene.box.func.calcPos(scene.box.names[i], 0, 1, 0).y);
ctx.lineTo(
scene.box.func.calcPos(scene.box.names[i], 0, 0, 0).x,
scene.box.func.calcPos(scene.box.names[i], 0, 0, 0).y);

if (scene.box[scene.box.names[i]].material.useFaces == true){
ctx.fillStyle = scene.box[scene.box.names[i]].material.faces[0].c;
ctx.fill();
}
if (scene.box[scene.box.names[i]].material.grid == true)
ctx.stroke();

}

This is what draws the shape. scene.box.func.calcPos(scene.box.names[i], 1, 0, 0).x and .y just return a x and a y value where the next point should be. The framerate drops no matter what value is inside.

this is the code a bit more simplified:
function drawFront() {
ctx.beginPath();
ctx.moveTo(0,0);
ctx.lineTo(0,10);
ctx.lineTo(10,10);
ctx.lineTo(10,0);
ctx.lineTo(0,0);

if (fil_it == true){ // this is true
ctx.fillStyle = "#f00";
ctx.fill();
}
if (draw_grid == true) // this is true
ctx.stroke();
}

Just reinstalled Windows. Is this supposed to take 20+ hours?

Yup.

How can I transfer a game I have in my old android phone to my new one. The game it's not on the google playstore anymore and it has extra data (the app itself is 6 Mb and the data is 1 Gb). I already tried titanium backup but apparently it just takes the 6 Mb app, not the data

Look up WSUS Offline Update.
It'll save you a shitload of time.

How badly would a 3gb 1060 be bottlenecked by a i3 4160? Logical increments pairs the 1060 with a i3 6100 (which is close enough in performance to a 4160 AFAIK), so it should be alright, right?

>nazi pic

Are there any male micro USB 3.0 to male micro USB 2.0 cables? I would like on to connect my portable HDD to my phone (I have just been using a USB OTG adapter but want something nicer).

Is there a way to play .m4a files or transcode them to .mp3 or something in Foobar without having to install iTunes?

Computer inly shows black screen. I know I have to re-format it. What's the best way to achieve this and transfer my data to another drive?

What is a good program to check MicroSD and USB health?

They dont have SMART so i cant easy check it, or scan for bad sectors since they are removed.

You could try doing it manually. Figure out what "extra data means" and copy the files to the same location on the new phone. It could be either
- A bunch of shit under /data/data/com.publisher.appname/ (you'll need titanium backup or something similar because of the permissions, if that doesn't work you could try manually copying the entire directory to the new phone and chmodding everything in it)
- A bunch of shit under (ext)sdcard/Android/data/, just copy the folder to the same location and it should work
- One or more .obb files under (ext)sdcard/Android/obb/, just copy them and it should work
- If you moved/installed it to the SD card, a single file under /extsdcard/.android_secure/com.publisher.appname.asec that's basically just the APK, don't bother.

I just built my first computer and I can't for the life of me figure out where the SSD goes.

ALSO: what do you guys do to get your cords all nice looking?

If you're on Windows 7 SP1 and your CPU usage is stuck at 25%, you'll have to manually install a platform update or whatever, Windows Update is permanently stuck and it'll keep checking until eternity every time you reboot.

how can i change the text box in a website like this? i've seen others do it, they change sizes and shit of it too.
drooodle.com/drdl

Make a live USB of Debian/Xubuntu/Mint/whatever, connect both drives to the same computer, copy the things you need to the new one, use DBAN or gparted or dd or whatever to wipe the drive, reinstall Windows.

rufus.akeo.ie/
windowsiso.net/

I can't tell if I'm retarded or just have a really shit monitor.

Basically, when I watch videos or cartoons on my monitor, it doesn't feel smooth during transitions (looking up, camera moving side to side).

This doesn't happen if I plug an HDMI cable from my TV to my computer. The TV makes the videos look extremely smooth.

Is it a problem with my monitor? And which monitor (preferably 1440p/1080p 144hz) can I get to make video playback smooth like on a TV?

Monitor is an Acer GN246HL.

this

People in the IT industry: What do you aspire to career-wise?

I'm nearing 3 years out of school as an engineer, and am pretty sure I don't want to be a senior technical person (unless you are literally the tech lead for the entire organization and making sweeping design decisions, you're solving the same stupid problems as the juniors just with more years on you). In a similar vein, technical management doesn't seem all that great either unless the business folks gives you near-full control. Lots of politics and bureaucracy on that side of the fence.

So on both sides it seems to end up as tedium.

The SSD is pretty much a 2.5" disk, use the adapter it comes with to put it in a 3.5" HDD bay.

There is backspace in your case, make all your cables go around behind.

I have the same monitor and don't know what you are referring to. Is your windows refresh rate set to 144Hz? Are you using a dual link dvi cable (the one that came in the box)?

Is this true?

Look
If you have nonthicc S7 you can download the zip found here:

forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/how-to/odin-samsung-galaxy-s7-flat-sm-g930f-t3496949

Extract is and flash it with the newest version of Odin (3.10.2 I think not sure though). Back up before hand using smart switch and then restore and itll be like an OTA. I'm loving it now!

Yes, it's on 144hz and I'm using the DVI-Dual D that came in the box.

I wouldn't know how to describe it because you'd have to literally be here, but I can try my best.

Anything (vidoes, anime) that has a lot of motion (sliding left, right, any direction) in it becomes a little choppy. The television though plays those transitions and motions very smoothly. The worst part of this problem is I wouldn't know where to even find a solution for it.

Maybe it's because the TV is much larger on a scale, or since a TV is literally designed to play shows and videos whereas a monitor is for desktop use and games.

>Look
Stopped reading right there. Fuck off.

What's the name of the Raspberry Pi competitor that was posted the other day? I think it has a blue PCB and the chips are -- for some reason -- placed at odd angles.

Anyone?

That was probably some sort of ardurino.

Orange Pi? Banana Pi?

Arduino.

The others are too insignificant to be called competitors.

Thanks man, you're the best

Root available for moto Z Force yet?

It's something like that, but none of those look like the one that was posted. Like, most of the chips were at weird angles. Not exactly 45 like (I think) the main chip on the Orange Pi. They were at weird and different angles.

Arduino isn't a competitor to Raspberry Pi, they're completely different things.

Ask in the /guts/ thread for help with cable management.

They mostly will tell you to remove the back cover and manage the cables there.

Ubuntu 16.10 won't play nice with VMware. For what ever reason, it installs fine, but it remains stuck at boot either complaining about an SMCBus controller or freezing on the loading image. Has anyone had any experience in getting around this problem? If so, what can I do?

Is HDR a meme? Looking at a lot of Black Friday deals and 65" 4k TVs are at $800 and the same with HDR are about $1200

Also, what is the best brand of TV?

Not a meme, but a feature being under the marketing term influence.

Is it normal that I still feel distraught a week after seeing a stranger suicide by train right in front of me? I find myself lying awake at night wondering if I could have stopped them somehow if I'd realized what they were about to do, and can't even go down into the subway tunnels anymore without feeling like I'm going to have a panic attack. Is there somewhere I can get counseling for this kind of thing without having to pay for it? Don't exactly have a lot of money right now.

friend said his laptop fan never turned on

i cant get it hot, even at 100% cpu usage with glmark2 running on a loop for over an hour, the fan just wont turn on
it just wont get hot

is there a way to just fuck up that celeron to make it go full toaster mode to see if the fan works at all?

Yes you will need therapy, are you an ameriburger? You're supposed to have health insurance and all insurance covers mental health, or if in college you can talk to the campus counselor for free a few times

>Is it normal that I still feel distraught a week after seeing a stranger suicide by train right in front of me?

Yep. Congratulations, you're not an insane sociopath.

> Is there somewhere I can get counseling for this kind of thing without having to pay for it?

I don't know. I would imagine there's something. If I were you, I might call the local police non-emergency line, explain the situation, and ask if they have any ideas.

>all insurance covers mental health,
Does it? I didn't realized, I guess I'll look into this

Insulate with a towel or something.

I was thinking about getting a VPN but I don't know what to look out for. Any tips guys?

Why do you wanna turn it on?

Its a mobile celeron, it will never go past 70°C so passive cooling is good enough for it atleast in the model of your laptop.

I'd like to make sure the fan could function
It's got a bios lock so I can't test it in the bios

But I guess if it's not getting dangerously hot there's no issue

I thought about putting it in a toaster oven at 100°f to see if ambient temps change anything
But a towel sounds safer

Yes.

Remove the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS.

This is dangerous. Some systems have safeguards that will physically destroy the onboard decryption chip (along with the hardwired key that is required to boot the system or access any of your data) if this kind of tampering is detected.

Here you go fám

lifehacker.com/how-to-tell-if-your-health-insurance-covers-mental-heal-1625153418

Nice bait user.

Best software for finding and managing duplicate files in Windows?

Ccleaner

For exact matches, I just use fdupes through Cygwin. I have a python script for jpegs.

Flying across the country next week, is it acceptable to bring 250kg of gravel in my carry on luggage?

I've been getting memory management BSODs all week after I used ninite to upgrade a bunch of things and also ran windows update, and also happened to install a wireless mouse. It tends to happen after I've left firefox open for a while. What could be the cause? Could it simply be bad RAM? I'm not sure because it was working fine a few weeks ago.

what kind of specs should I look at when considering a smartphone? What do you guys base your decisions on?

Depends on the carry on restrictions of the airline in question, check on their website. I'm not sure a quarter tonne of gravel will fit into an overhead.

HP Prime or HP 50G for an EE?

Run MEMTEST.

Want something good and simple?
Get a Moto G4.

I should add that I've tried using bluescreenviewer but all it ever points to is ntoskrnl.exe.

Processor, ram amount, storage options, brand quality and reputation, operating system version and future upgradability

Don't buy a 70$ chinkshit phone running android 5.0 on 1gb of ram
Get something that fits your needs, has good specs, the features you would use and is well reviewed

How much does it cost to have my DNA altered? Want to make a few minor cosmetic changes.

Do you wanna die of cancer?

Because that's what you're telling me right now.

why do I keep having dreams about my phone getting damaged/screen broken
I mean we're talking like 4 or 5 years having a dream like this probably 2-3 times a month

Actually, come to think of it, I never had a single BSOD yesterday. This is so annoying.

Thanks.

>Want something good and simple?
>Get a Moto G4.
Thanks, I'll have a look at it

My needs are pretty minimal, as long as it'll run commonly used apps then I'm fine. Brand quality and reputation is definitely something important I hadn't considered, so thank you.