Chromebooks

What does Sup Forums think of chromebooks? I just recently started looking into them and they seem nice. The one I want is only $260, so it's very affordable.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/dnschneid/crouton
youtu.be/dz5CG0t0yek
support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1047367?hl=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why would you when the x220 exists

github.com/dnschneid/crouton

This is the script that I used to install ubuntu with XFCE on mine. Love it.

If all you want is a facebook machine, it's perfect

Because I don't want to hover around Power points when I leave the house.

Literally this. Had a Chromebook for a while then gave it up for a T420. X220 is basically the more mobile equivalent and they're both based fucking machines

i'd like to use it for google docs at school

I'd probably choose a different distro but the ability to change it from chromeOS is really nice. Definitely a good idea if I don't like chromeOS or want to change things up.

My chrome book mouse freezes often and I have to restart

There's no reason to buy this over an old used laptop unless you want ChromeOS

Hey, my chrome keeps freezing. Can I replace it with unbuntu

Personally the reasons I love my Chromebook is because of it's

>really high battery life
>lightweightness
>I like ChromeOS design more than windows
>Seemless updates
>The trackpad/trackpad gestures

Here's a video that shows some of the gestures. What I like about the trackpads on Chromebooks are that they are almost as nice to use as a macbook. They beat the trackpads on windows laptops multiple times it's price.

youtu.be/dz5CG0t0yek

What type of Chromebook are you looking for?

Or x201.

Get a new battery. 9 cell if you can.

My new laptop has a 30wh battery and lasts 5 hours.

Nah, I'll be right.

Excellent video on the gestures! I'm particularly drawn to the high battery life and light weight. I also like how it doesn't have a fan.

I'm looking at the HP Chromebook 11 G5. It seems to be the most well balanced machine I can find.

You have 3 options

1) Acer CB3-111 for budget Facebook machine
2) CR-48 for Aesthetic goodness
3) Google Pixel for the best uselessness to over specced ratio

The best gestures to me are the two finger swipe gestures that let you go back and forth from a page. Once you get used to those gestures you won't even want to go back to a windows laptop.

The gestures are explained more here

support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1047367?hl=en

A few other nice things about chrome OS is that the updates are done in the background and once you restart to finish updates it just take five seconds to boot up. You don't have to sit through two annoying loading screens like windows.

Also when google play store arrives you will always have the latest version of android because the updates are provided straight from google.

I recommend getting the Acer Chromebook 14 instead of the HP. You can buy it refurbished on Amazon for $200.

people seriously use crouton?

fucking plebs.

anyhow, shit jus werks™

ive seen this before

spooky

but do I know you in real life?

socal?

Just replace the cells.

>buy a new 100 dollar battery for a budget laptop
Idiots everywhere with more money than sense

Anyone got a Samsung chromebook 3? I was thinking about getting that, but is their anything better in that price range?

>What does Sup Forums think of chromebooks?
They are like WinRT tablets with keyboards.

If you want a maintenance free keyboard tablet with a browser and SSH but no apps, ChromeBook is for you.

If you want a laptop, it's absolute trash.

Source: I used Chromebook Pixel 1 and 2 through work.

user, I'm typing this from one. If you want mobility, get a x220 or even a T420. Chromebooks are comfy as fuck but has their limitations and you could actually get a thinkpad for that same amount of money, and maybe a bit more you can get a new or extra 9 cell battery.

Don't know if you are OP, but let me tell you they have great battery life. Also, you can get extra batteries.

The only Chromebook worth using

I will definitely look into these!

I haven't heard of the x220 or T420 before, i'll have to look them up

Another user made a thread about chromebooks a couple of days ago. He went for a chromebook pixel, I own that too. But I'm just a sick person, that also owns a macbook and a x220. Pixel is comfy as fuck, if you only need shitposting, edit documents and general web browsing you are good with one and some of the cheaper options like the Dell Chromebook 11 have a shitton battery life and are even rugged, you can toss it around in your backpack without problems. If you actually need anything else you'll be better off with the thinkpad. You can run windows, linux or even OSX on those and you can get spare batteries everywhere.

what model user?

Noon question, how do I safely solder the cells without causing a house fire?

CR-48 Mario

Bit slow on newer ChromeOS but still does 720p video and has free Verizon 3g

Heatsink clamps/Tongs so you don't heat the cells

And just be kinda fast about it

Check out galliumOS, it's xubuntu optimized for chromebooks. Buy a chromebook that's supported, and you'll have a laptop that's lighter and has better battery life than dinosaurpads.