/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Googly Eyes Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Significantly outdated "Good" and "Very Good" tiers
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/qfXpr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/xbjCD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/LvWCD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/Q68vbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/Psh8jc
komplett.no/wishlists/ca12903c-a074-40a1-8fe3-96da332ba38b
pcpartpicker.com/list/97W8jc
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/ZhnQ7P
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6QVXnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/rXzx2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/8Wxm3F
pcpartpicker.com/list/DTsfhq
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dMpL4C
pcpartpicker.com/list/8ZJDJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/NwDTPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/bXJhjc
pcpartpicker.com/list/6kgNvV
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sMBdxY
gamestop.com/pc/consoles/alienware-steam-machine-i7-1tb/121863
gamestop.com/pc/consoles/alienware-steam-machine-i3-500gb/121859
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813132568
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813132640,
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is the Cryroig C7 the best low profile cooler? Noctua's option seems to be for low TDP components only, which isn't useful for gaymen.

pcpartpicker.com/list/qfXpr7
First build, please give advice.

Why the 1050ti? I'm not sure your space requirements cause you are going microatx so maybe you want a slim build, but I'd prefer the 470 at this point even though it's a bit more, seems like nearly twice the value for 50 bucks more.

If the intel CPU doesn't have the -K at the end, it comes with a stock processor that works fine.
>Mobo
Looks fine, but get a Z170 Chipset Mobo if you want to upgrade and keep cooler(read the sticky)
>Ram
Same thing as mobo, get DDR4-3000
>Storage
Yeezus, guess it works for a budget, but if I were you, see if you can find some old PCs in the house and cannibalize the HDDs and grab a 240 OCZ Trion SSD.
>GPU
Go 1050 2gb or RX 470 4gb. The cheapest is 169.99 for both XFX and MSI variants. 1050 has a higher value for it's performance.
>Case
Have fun with that
>PSU
Seriously, do yourself a favor and spend a bit more on the PSU that's rated Gold and is modular, because cable management can be a bitch in that case.
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 comes to mind.

I went with the 1050 Ti because I'm only going to be doing some light 1080p gaming.
pcpartpicker.com/list/xbjCD8

Looks good to me then lad

oh wait, what exactly is your budget?

I just realized you tacked the OCZ on with the build.

I want to keep it under $700

>With all your components at hand, it's time to start building your beast. You will need a few basic hand tools:
>Non magnetic Screwdriver (-).
>Non magnetic Philips Head Screwdriver (+).

Why is Sup Forums so bad at tech?

Oh, okay.
That makes things a LOT easier.

>470 setup, runs a lot of stuff really well.
pcpartpicker.com/list/LvWCD8
Drop OS and maybe some light games on the SSD, faster booting times.(windows boot in less than 40 seconds or so)

>1050 ti setup, like you said, light 1080p gaming but a bit more storage on SSD.
pcpartpicker.com/list/Q68vbj
Same thing, lighter GPU, but storage is a bit bigger.

Also, small tip for everyone in the thread-

Storage sizes are NOT as advertised.
They're listed out in decimal format, the computer reads it as binary.
so 500GB is actually 465.
( 500 GB x 1000^3 ) / ( 1024^3 )

I want to max out dota consistently so that it never ever drops below 144hz at 1080p

What graphics card do I need?

Is 16 GB of RAM really necessary for gaming in the current year?

You CAN game with 4GB, but that's REALLY stretching it for a few select games.

1060 3GB and anything equivalent upwards.

Think a 470 4GB might do that too.

I might go with the 480 8gb. I will probably be gaming on Linux anyways and would like some level of future proofing.

Get the 200 buck XFX that's up right now.

Fucking great deal, and it's even better if you're getting the fractal Node 202, as the blower style cooling system sends it out the back instead inside the case.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Psh8jc
I'd really like to get SeaSonic's Titanium PSU and the AMP! Extreme but they're so expensive.

I live in Canada sorry.

Lowest 470 is $230 with $10 shipping also higher taxes.

What's a good case for portability?

Once a month, me and my friends have a LAN party and play vidya together. I normally bring my PC but I'm getting tired of having to set it back up at home. So I kind of want to build a PC for taking to the LAN parties and gaming conventions.

Something that's easy to hold and pick up would be nice, but something with handlebars or something similar would be neato.

I am looking to get a new PC this black Friday. Currently looking at something like this: komplett.no/wishlists/ca12903c-a074-40a1-8fe3-96da332ba38b

What do you think? (SSD costs the same as 120 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD, and I don't use much space. Worth it?

I have a Corsair H100i V2 and it runs relatively quiet when idle, but when the fans spin up, they're loud and rattle like fuck. What fans should I replace them with that are quiet and won't break the bank?

What does /pcbg/ think of noiseblocker eloops? Looking for something quiet that doesn't look as hideous as the noctuas

Is 2 140mm fans in the front and 1 140mm fan in the back acceptable? Using air cooled cpu/gpu.

Yes, 3 fans is the best setup

The HAF has handles and is ATX.
Any mitx case is really easy to carry.
Most matx cases shouldnt be much of an issue either.

What I would suggest is just getting some feet large enough that your fingers can fit under your case when it is sitting on a flat surface. This would probably be the best way to improve your ability to pick it up and set it down, assuming your case height is short enough that you can grab it from the bottom and not have it in your face.

I have them in a box. They are not quiet. They are shitty and noiseful. That's all.

pcpartpicker.com/list/97W8jc
My first build, I plan to do light gaming, drawing, web browsing, and watching stuff. I'm at my maximum budget, I can only go slightly higher than what I have. Please give advice.

Hey guys I have big hands and MS, also I learned to type on a older and what seems like a larger keyboard.

So is it just me or are keyboards getting smaller? Everytime I buy a standard keyboard they feel small and cramped. But when I go to work I see older keyboards that appear to be slightly bigger and more of what I want.

Does anyone know what type of keyboard this is?

any word on black friday/cyber monday deals? i want see if i can get good prices for a new build

Drop cooler, use stock
Consider one 8GB stick of RAM, considering that mobo only has two RAM slots
Cheaper CPU (i3 6100)
Use the saved money for an SSD

If you can buy an RX470. Check out this build

CPU is excessive unless you know you need it. An i3 will be fine
ADATA SSD is cheaper right now

>You CAN game with 4GB, but that's REALLY stretching it
No, not at all. Just because a game will allocate of to 8GB doesn't mean that it needs it. 4GB is plenty, especially on 390/970/480 tier cards

From what I've heard AMD sucks on linux

Get a 1070 or wait for 1080TI

What games are you playing?

If games it's a waste of money

Drop cooler
Get 240GB SSD
Get GTX 1050 2GB, 750Ti is crap at this point

I guess if I will do proprietary drivers I'll go with nvidia and the 1060 6gb

Is there any real reason to go for an 850 Pro over an 850 Evo?

I have an old AMD 1055t x6 with 4gigs of ddr3 ram. I want to get a new mobo + cpu + ram for my workstation, but I'm finding it hard to justify the cost. Would it be worth it to upgrade just the RAM even though its only DDR3?

What kind of work do you use it for?

Server development, mostly Java, and some node. IntelliJ eats up the RAM, and being able to run a VM decently would help, I'm not sure if this warrants a CPU upgrade though.

You could probably get 16 GB of RAM and FX 83xx CPU for fairly cheap without needing to upgrade MOBO.

Has anyone ever used superbiiz to make a build before? Also any suggestions on my build(have a gtx970 for a gpu)?

3000MHz RAM

Can I use FreeSync with a GTX 1080? Or are nvidia absolute jews?

Gsync only. Don't worry, it only costs extra 300 shekels.

reeeee

UK, first build here, looking to try and get something around £500 which can handle some games. I could stretch to about £600 if there was something worth it.
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6QVXnn

Should I dump the PSU and try and get something modular instead?

>being a wait faggot

>1070 or wait for 1080Ti
>not being able to read
>2016 Year of Our Lord

>some games
Which ones? Honestly the 4GB 470 is the best deal out right now for AAA gaming. Personally I'd save up for something equivalent to this build

I'd pick up a i5 6600k instead of a 6500, it's about 25% faster and can be over clocked for only ~40$ more.

1070 can't do 1440p/144hz

Are the SeaSonic S12II's any good?

Drop the 750 for a 1050, or 1050ti, maybe get cheaper ram and drop the cooler.

Mine does for a lot of games including doom (perfectly btw), it's about 70-90fps for completely maxed cross platform games like witcher 3 and Forza Horizon, more like 120fps on low settings. G sync makes lower framerates not bad anyways

If the 1070 can't the 1080 can't either... only about 20% difference between the two. Paltry

You want the 1080Ti or to SLI 1070, but I wouldn't recommend the latter.

Why drop the cooler? I plan to overclock a moderate amount, and I don't want to have to deal with too large temps. Does keeping it do more harm than good?

Is this dumb?

pcpartpicker.com/list/rXzx2R

Could be worse, get a cheaper PSU for sure and consider a smaller M2 + SATA SSD
Unless you're trying to save money then in that case you would be dumb

I can fit a Noctua NH-U12S and a GTX 1080 in an NZXT S340, right?

Can anyone reccomend a build that will last as long as possible amd will let me play most games at no lower than 60fps with ok graphics?

Also, what do you do with old parts when they no longer have any use?

What's the best PC I can build for $1000 including a keyboard and monitor?

If you ever want to upgrade to a K-series processor, this is the build for you

pcpartpicker.com/list/8Wxm3F

If you're not overclocking, here's the alternative.
pcpartpicker.com/list/DTsfhq

Note- Tack on 25.88 for the OEM Win 7 OS if you don't have a windows product key. Get it on Kinguin.

These are pretty good, thanks user. What's your opinion on getting a 1060 over the 480 if I only plan to keep this build for about 2 years?

VRAM is the only argument I have.

Other than that, it's mostly I just like AMD a bit more than Nvidia.

What's the point of these threads? It's obvious that the more expensive computer parts you buy, the better of the built computer will be.

That's not exactly the case.

Hyper super duper expensive 3k ram works just as well as a normal 3k ram does.

Plus, 6700K's hyperthreading can actually hurt the frames on some games.

It's about getting the best bang for your buck, which isn't always going for the most expensive fucking thing on the market.

It's like when the EVGA 1070/80 series of cards were blowing up and shit, expensive as hell, but an even bigger loss.

Corsair 380t isn't bad

You're not very convincing about it

Lemme put it you to this way.
Not everyone has a 1000 dollars to throw at a PC.

Maybe you've never heard of a budget because you're 12 or something, but most people have only a set amount of money they can spend on the build. Plus some components are expensive memes, and some are just incompatible. The thread is here to run builds past people who have a bit of knowledge or experience.

Just buy the most expensive components that you can afford. Basically this is what will happen, when you'll ask about it here.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dMpL4C
Thoughts? Specifically, are the motherboard and GPU memes or are they good value? Looking to game 60fps 1080p modern AAA titles.

Yeah, lets buy a card that does just as well as the card that's 40 bucks below it.

Bought my GPU at 185, it was all I could afford.

Prices dropped, and one of the better manufactures is selling theirs for 169.

Expensive != better performance.

But that's not true user, Expensive does = better performance, you just don't know about it.

pcpartpicker.com/list/8ZJDJV
My first build, built a year and a half ago. Never thought to get any advice. May as well now.
Power supply is a bit much but I wanted to go sli at some point. Is that possible or even a good idea?

You know what, I realized I'm arguing on the internet again.
You win, whatever.

I'm not arguing, I was just curious about your opinion :)

>Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
>CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
>Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
>Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
> Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
>Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card
>NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case
>EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
>Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer
>TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
>Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan
> Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor
>Acer R240HY bidx 23.8" 60Hz Monitor
pcpartpicker.com/list/NwDTPs
not editing, just playin vidia, im fucking stupid when it comes to computers so please help ty

Keep the custom cooler in it's packaging and the motherboard+ram if you plan to upgrade to a K-series CPU that can actually overclock, unlike the locked 6500 there that can't.

Ditch Caviar Blue, get the Black instead.
Depending on your budget, go with the 500 Gig SSD.

Don't go wifi, get a 50/75 foot ethernet cable and trail it through house/walls, trust me when I say this. Almost zero lag.

If you're going multi monitor, get 2 144hz monitors. That 1070 is overkill for 60 hertz.

Money would be better spent elsewhere. I wouldn't bother to OC that CPU

>last as long as possible
Of course you'd just buy the best of everything

Look at some of the 'upgradable' builds in the PCBG pcpartpicker link in the OP if you're looking for something cheaper

Need Z170 mobo to overclock

That's why people spend $2500 on coach handbags or 'us gaymers' gaymen rigs, right? Also there are price/perf metrics etc

It's fine, but you may as well get a 6600K so that you can overclock if you're already buying a Z170 and a cooler. If you don't just use stock cooler until you do upgrade to an unlocked CPU

Hey Sup Forums. Looking to build my first rig and need some pointers. Going for a powerful workstation/gayming build.

>1. Should I waterloop or should I stick to liquid air cooling?
>2. Would this build Ii made suit my demands? pcpartpicker.com/list/bXJhjc
>3. Should I stick with the Razer case?
>4. Any general advice to give me?
It's my first time trying to build a PC so forgive me if I sound like a noob.

Rate my budget build

Cpu: i5-3570k
Heat sink: H60 water cooler
Mobo: DZ77SL50k
Memory: 8 gig of 1300 ddr3
GPU: R9-390 Strix

Prices
$45 cpu from russia
$60 water cooler
$70 motherboard
$free ram
$free hard drives and OS
$220 for the gpu with a few broken vanes on its fans

Total: $380

I'm currently waiting for the last few parts to come in, so if you have any advice there's still time to return shit and get other stuff.

>$45 for OCing Ivy i5
>free Ram and HDD
I dont know how you did that but envy/10
>tfw living in 3rd world where everything is 50% more expensive than they are in freedom land

waterloop/liquid "air" as you call it, are the same.

There's Custom loops and All-in-ones, or AIO's.

Look at reviews for different cases. Personally, I'd go with a case made by Fractal design, they're very reputable.

And the build is fine, throw in a 500 Gig Samsung 850 EVO SSD, then put the OS on the SSD. Boot time is cut in half and programs you store on there boot up even faster.

Oh, and get DDR4-3000 or higher MHz Ram, DDR4-2133 will throttle frames a bit.

Recommendations? pcpartpicker.com/list/6kgNvV

How much is the zen going to cost and what is it comprobalae to?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sMBdxY

r8 or h8

People are guessing the 8 core processor is gonna be about 300 and equal to a 5820K or so.
The other processors, I don't know.
Nothing has been confirmed yet.

Holy fuck, are you me?
I'm making a similar build, but with my old Dell Studio 540 Case.

Though I suggest cutting it down to the 470, as it's even cheaper letting you expand on the PSU should you want to go bigger on parts in t he future.

Also, I'd get a Cooler Master 212 Evo for OC'ing.

I sniped it at 3am west coast time ebay auction. Believe or it not, it came from Russia. I was expecting to get a dead cpu considering it's place of orgin. But, the damn thing posts and boots into windows when plugged into a friend's system.

Could I oc the 470 to get 480 like performance? Also the CPU comes with the new cooler which should be good for a little over clocking so do I really need a new cooler ?

very qt build, that rx 480 is going to get heavily bottleneck by the cpu though, just get a 470

wanted to reply to

fucking quads senpai, checke'm
also i'm retarded, wanted to reply to the guy with the x4 845

Is WinCdEmu still the best software for mounting Iso's?
Just built my new computer and I want to use the most proficient and best software since I have a fresh start again.

AMD CPUs can get hot, I wouldn't trust stock cooler when running it at 4.0 GHz.

And depending on the model of 470, you probably could get it do 90% of what the 480 can do.

Oh, ok. Its just that I've seen the new AMD cooler was way better than the old ones

I got $600 budget.
>Intel i5 4460
>GTX 1050ti
>12GB RAM
>250 SSD, (I got a spare 1TB HDD)
No idea for mobo, cooler, case and PSU. Any advice?

So fucking Gamestop is selling Alienware Steam Machines this black friday. Because they're so small, I'm thinking of getting one and loading up some fun party games and roms.

For this purpose, which is the better value?
Alienware i7 w/ 8GB RAM 1TB HDD $374.99 (was $749.99)
gamestop.com/pc/consoles/alienware-steam-machine-i7-1tb/121863
Alienware i3 w/ 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD $224.99 (was $449.99)
gamestop.com/pc/consoles/alienware-steam-machine-i3-500gb/121859

They seemingly have the exact same GPU, an nVidia GeForce GTX GPU w/2GB GDDR5. Another cool thing is that ram and even the CPU can be upgraded. Comes with a Steam controller.

In the future there's a big bonus to also being able to run SFV and Tekken 7 on it when it comes out, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thoughts?

Damn, thats actually a good deal....wait.

What's the GPU.

And I swear if it says NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX GDDR5 or some bullshit, FUCK.

Got two questions about

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813132568

When it says "Supports DisplayPort 1.2* with max. resolution 4096 x 2160@24Hz / 3840 x 2160@60Hz", with the * meaning "DP 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport compliant, supports DP 1.2 monitor daisy chain up to 3 displays ", is that saying it's not actually display port 1.2?

the second question is about the "HDMI 2.0 60Hz resolution support requires necessary drivers update". Is that driver update doable after windows is already installed and everything, or would it require reinstalling windows to do the update?

Asking because I want to make sure my build can use the htc vive, which apparently requires DMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer

Also, on newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813132640, how can I tell what HDMI/displayport versions it supports? I don't see it listed anywhere

Looked it up, i7-4765 with 860M.

Eugh, out of the two, I'd get the i7.
Either way, you're still paying for OLDER components. Don't get me wrong, CPU is fine, but that GPU...

Also, regarding the second motherboard I posted there, why is it more expensive then newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566 ?

They seem to be identical spec wise,

So i7 Quadcore is worth the extra $150?

And yeah the components are kinda shitty, but man the formfactor is tiny. It's smaller than a PS4 slim.

Seems ideal for loading up some emulators, maybe some Powestone, Smash Bros, TMNT arcade, etc... But also highly attractive to bring to places and place some fighting games.

Honestly, if you're not on a budget and play a lot of CPU intensive games, go with the i7.

Otherwise, upgrade the i3 with a bit more ram.

Looked it up, apparently the GPU is a GTX 860m

Not sure if that can run SFV at 1080/60fps, much less Tekken 7.