Why is Atom so fucking slow? It takes at least 5 seconds to start up whereas Sublime is nearly as fast as Vim

Why is Atom so fucking slow? It takes at least 5 seconds to start up whereas Sublime is nearly as fast as Vim.

Other urls found in this thread:

code.visualstudio.com/
os.js.org/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because they use webdev tools to make it.

then just use sublime?

>fast as vim
Ummm no.

>people bitching it uses 500mb of ram

If you have

this desu

no one said anything about ram usage

Your mom uses 500mb of ram

Why not Visual Studio Code?

code.visualstudio.com/

It's not that slow desu, And my laptop is pretty shit. Brackets on the other hand... Never seen such a slow piece of shit.

Atom has great defaults and doesn't require you to learn Common Lisp to change some settings

I use atom's vim mode and I have no complaints so far

it's free too

for small files, yeah

I wish there was a lighter alternative to Atom. No other editors are nearly as æsthetic.

install sublime

It looks so good because CSS is so easy to mess with.

We need a graphical toolkit that uses stylesheets

that would be god-tier

bloated piece of shit written on jscript by SJWs, what did you expect? You need to know that's the same people that think it's a great idea to make a terminal emulator in js.

Upgrade your toaster poorfag.

Why bother with Atom? VS Code is pretty much the same thing done well. Sublime is there if you want something lighter and dislike Chrome's rendering of text.

On Windows specifically Notepad++ is pretty much a marble bust away from being the most A E S T H E T I C free text editor possible and it's the lightest of the bunch.

>dislike chrome's rendering of text

On linux, chrome uses fontconfig so it shouldn't look different from anything else

Vs code doesn't have atom's extensions. Atom's extensions edged out sublime's and are starting to rival vim's.

I'm curious, which ones do you use that aren't there for Sublime or VSC?

Because it uses an entire fucking web stack, both client and server, for a text editor. There is zero effort put into efficiency and instead its built on memeware.

I use platformIO since I have to work with SoCs pretty often. The rest of my extensions are various linters and autocompletes for scripting languages, which vsc and sublime probably have.

>Atom
>Sublime
>Vim

What the fuck are you doing niggers, get back to Emacs right now! What the fuck is this bullshit?

what happens if I have four terminals open at the same time?

I hope it uses tabs for each instance

> a terminal written in JS
For what purpose?

Because this is the new state of "cumpooter enginhurrs", they learn only JS/CSS/HTML, and when they're confronted with a real task, they use scripting and markup all the way!

Right now, it only has penetrated a few dev tools and games, but this is getting traction.
Don't be surprised if one day, someone makes a complete WM in javascript, with all of the shit performance and everything

We need to ban javascript outside of the browsers, the joke has gone long enough now, we need to kill all of the trash kids that think they're god because they can allign five lines of JS and start to cry when they're faced with any kind of structure more complicated than basic classes

And i'm not against scripting languages, some can be used for maths, some are light and can be integrated,

But the first fucker who says that v8 is fast and a viable script engine under a desktop environment should shove glass shards up his anus until they fall out of his fucking nu-male throat

What is a better scripting language,
especially under light of performance?

General purpose? LuaJIT. For GUIs? Tcl/Tk.

I sadly can't find a valid up-to-date source for this.
LuaJIT seems to have some benchmark showing it's perormance compared to v8 somewhere out there, but it's down.

I prefer Sublime but VSC has the best autocompletion/intellisense hands down.

I really want GNU Guile to be a thing

As far as Scheme implementations go, why Guile?

Didn't someone rewrite the Linux kernel in Javascript?

That's impossible

Yeah, nodeOS

It's shit.

Atom is useful only for Front-end and Markup languages. Other than that, use Vim or Emacs.

GTK

You don't need a "scripting language." Modern high level statically typed languages are just as succinct all while being 100 times faster.

LuaJIT is basically unmaintained. Mike Pall moved on to other things.

Found the Microsoft cuck.

>Don't be surprised if one day, someone makes a complete WM in javascript
This has been already done os.js.org/.

ram is slow
kys

these

Because on my work machine (crappy single core AMD APU) it runs even shittier than Atom with multiple plugins. At home I use Linux.

Because, while the VS Code team actually cares about performance - unlike the Atom devs - it's still a small upgrade only.

Thats exactly what I tought ... Fuck vim and st...

>hey user, why don't you use editor X...
Because X doesn't have good column select out of the box
Literally the only reason

Notepad++ forever I fucking guess

>Notepad++
>good column select

Almost all of those editors have objectively better column select.
For VS Code under Linux, you have to customize your keybindings first though, because it might collide with something else, so they left it unconfigured.

>Nodepad++
>good column select
>good anything

>Notepad++
>bad column select

Yes. It's really awful and objectively worse than pretty much any other decent editor.

sleek. those drop shadows are sick af

I have used every other popular editor and many other lesser known editors
Trust me when I say that if anything else was better I would use it. The ONLY editor I keep coming back to is notepad++
Yeah, I don't like it. I wish I had something else. But ffs everything else sucks dick.

Its the same shit with webbrowsers too: everything sucks hard but the least sucky browser is firefox. It still sucks... But it sucks the least

What does NPP have that other editors don't? I couldn't name a single thing. Other editors can do column select or other things like autocompletion much better.

>comfy
eliminates: vim, emacs
>not slow
eliminates: atom meme, microshaft vs code
>non intrusive interface
eliminates: anything using a non-native gui library
>column select doesnt suck out of the box
eliminates: basically everything else (sublime meme in particular)
>autocomplete
eliminates: who cares

>tfw no good editors except np++

It even has telemetry going on in that screen shot.

Include fuckingeverything.js

>emacs not comfy
>too retarded to learn emacs over a weekend

>comfy
Subjective
>column select doesnt suck out of the box
Except it objectively and obviously does. Do what did, you can't even do that.
>autocomplete
>eliminates: who cares
Who cares? This is one of the most basic and important features that a text editor has, and Notepad++ sucks at it.

let the memeies hit the flooooor

>column select
I have literally been doing that exact column select for 4 hours now while programming today
>autocomplete
np++ has autocomplete addons that work fine. Though, I don't personally use them.

>he doesn't have any good justification for not using np++
lel lol and kek

>NPP has the best column select
WebM related destroys your entire argument
>np++ has autocomplete addons that work fine
Still nowhere near as good as other editors
>he doesn't have any good justification for not using np++
Are you genuinely retarded? You didn't name a single reason to use it that hasn't been proven wrong

Are you faggots seriously arguing about fucking text editors? Just use nano like a normal person and spend the new free time you have trawling for pussy.

>nano
>like a normal person
Yeah sure

Do you hate the most basic features or do you just hate yourself?

>basic features
I type and the letters appear like magic on my screen. What the fuck else do I need?

Yes I hate myself, but that's unrelated.

You need to hold both alt and shift to move the selection block
I have been doing this exact thing literally all morning and in by far the most comfy and functional editor to do it in ;)

btw that best editor is called np++

Emacs is at the very least a lot more comfy than Notepad++ once you set it up a bit. Going from it to Emacs was fantastic.

>at home I use linux
and that is an excuse for what?

Holy shit you're ignorant, whatever

V I M
I
M

>he has to set up his text editor
lol

Stay salty

I'll just keep using the best shitty text editor (no++ fyi). k?

>his text editor isn't extensible

>his text editor forces him to take time away from coding

>his text editor gets him into homosexual arguments on the internet

>his text editor can't be improved and is forced to remain shitty

Investing time in good tools isn't something to frown upon.

True enough.

dabs
>his text editor isn't good as soon as he downloads it and he needs "improvements" just to make it usable

Everything is fast on Solus

FUCK OFF KEVIN YOU PILE OF COW DUNG THIS ISN'T EVEN TANGENTIALLY RELATED TO A DISTRO THREAD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

this, to be sincere