Anyone here uses Jolla? How is your experience? Do you feel the "app gap" while using it?

Anyone here uses Jolla? How is your experience? Do you feel the "app gap" while using it?

I kinda want one.

I use it on my Nexus 5. I'm working on a Sup Forums client for Sailfish OS. I haven't been able to get a decent work around for installing APKs. Sfdroid is shit and Myriad refuses to let individual users purchase Alien Dalvik which is the compatibility layer for Android on official Jolla devices. If you use Sailfish, it's best to use it on an official Jolla device to get Alien Dalvik support.

I had the original phone and I would get the Indian one next if it was easily available.

I have installed google play store on it so not really.

Fuck Jolla, I want another OS on my Galaxy Note 4 that isn't shit though, but yeah, fuck the retarded and outdated hardware.

Port it yourself then instead of crying about it, asshole.

I'm not a software magician, I just want modular smartphones, and a more open architecture than ARM to take off, first.

Clover is open source, why not use that?
How difficult would it be to port to jolla?

>I'm not a software magician
You don't have to be. With all of the guides I could've done it when I was 15 or 16 years old. It's that easy.
>modular smartphones
Most smartphones are easy enough to repair as long as you don't fuck the main board. How much more modular do you want them to be?
>a more open architecture than ARM
Talk to the NSA about that one. Until they give you a call back, use Libreboot and disable IntelME.

The whole point of Sailfish is that it's not lagdroid or iShit. It's a fresh start. This means fresh new apps to help boost the community and to give incentives to potential users. Clover would also nead a massive overhaul of the interface to flow well with Sailfish's gesture based interface. If I'm going to put that much work in, I might as well start from scratch.

Oh really? So you're telling me that you can port any one of these: Debian, SailfishOS, FirefoxOS (native), Tizen, Ubuntu Touch, Mer, etc...

You'd be able to port another OS on a Galaxy Note 4 with all the hardware functions running at 100%? Very unlikely. I wouldn't buy that for a minute.

> Most smartphones are easy enough to repair as long as you don't fuck the main board. How much more modular do you want them to be?
What Project Ara was going for, but maybe with alternate cases or physical keyboard attachments, etc...

>Talk to the NSA about that one. Until they give you a call back, use Libreboot and disable IntelME.

Libreboot specifically said they won't officially support any more x86 architectures with Intel ME (and likely AMD's equivalent.) even if they did, they'd tell you exactly how to disable it, right?

I'm not that paranoid, so I'm okay with Coreboot at least.

>So you're telling me that you can port any one of these: Debian, SailfishOS, FirefoxOS (native), Tizen, Ubuntu Touch, Mer, etc...
Yeah.

>You'd be able to port another OS on a Galaxy Note 4 with all the hardware functions running at 100%
No, where did I say that?

>I'm okay with Coreboot at least
Libreboot is a fork of Coreboot with added funtionality, most importantly with GRUB as a payload. So go fuck yourself, retard.

>You'd be able to port another OS on a Galaxy Note 4 with all the hardware functions running at 100%? Very unlikely. I wouldn't buy that for a minute.

If you have the Adreno version then it should be pretty fucking easy. If you can get the baseband working everything else should be a breeze.

I'm running debian on an arm system right now. It's not some chroot on android bullshit either. I boot straight into debian.

test

I have used Jolla for almost 3 years now, and now it's time to switch back to Android due old hardware and almost dead battery.

Isn't Jolla bankrupt?

I'm using it for second year. Quite happy with and wait for good successor with bigger screen.

How can I port it to my phone?

I'd probably buy one if they were in stock and I could get it shipped to the states.

>The whole point of Sailfish is that it's not lagdroid or iShit. It's a fresh start. This means fresh new apps to help boost the community and to give incentives to potential users.
not even microsoft pulled that off, so how should jolla do this?

what is app gap, OP?

I've been using Neliapila from openrepos for ages now, why not extend it to do what you need? Seems wasteful to start again from scratch. Pic related - Neliapila on Fairphone 2).

Tried in on my opo, but aside from the fact that I couldn't get android tools working I also didn't like how everything about the UI was so damn big, like it was made for 4 inch phones or something.

You faggots are too pussy to commit to a native Linux device.

I have one and I love it.

Pros:
- I like the touch interface more than Android
- You can do basic stuff like changing ring tones and browsing the filesystem without 3rd party apps, in contrast to Android
- Built in SSH server
- Built in SSH client and terminal
- Hacker friendly (you have root out-of-the-box)

Cons:
- Features missing, like multiple contact books, javascript/image blocking in the browser, etc
- Android support can be buggy with some apps
- The only phone you can buy right now is the Intex ShitFish

I am not feeling the app gap, but I'm a pretty basic smartphone user. I need contact and calendar sync, a terminal with SSH, a basic browser, and then I'm happy.

It can android shit but the bloat slow it down to oblivion. BTW i think about to invest in this pajeet stuff.

It's alright. I'd say it's about as polished as Symbian Belle was on the 808, which comes below WebOS, Android and iOS. It's better than Ubuntu Touch at any rate.

The default applications aren't great, the Jolla C/Intex Aqua is far more plasticky than the original Jolla, the ambience idea should have been scrapped or relegated into the settings menu when they dropped the replaceable backplates, and it's more or less as proprietary and closed off as Android.

Hit the nail on the head. If you want those benefits and treat your phone like a phone with a mail client and calendar, then it's probably what you want.

Why do they not ship to the US?

Stupid.

Open source, something microsoft will never do.

Used one for about 6 months, didn't feel the gap that much, my issue is the old hardware and Jolla's hypocrisy.
Tried Ubuntu touch, but the hardware was shit it swapped constantly, and it misses some basic features.

I'd give it a shot, if it works well at what it should do (calls, SMS), has a decent battery, and some kind of chan browser.

>Anyone here uses Jolla? How is your experience? Do you feel the "app gap" while using it?

I used one for a year because I fucking loved the N900. Sadly, when Jolla's first phone came out, it already had dated hardware. So the UX was kinda lacking from that point of view, too.

If they offered galaxy s7 level of hardware (ie max a year old) I might be tempted, but until then count me out.

anoyone using sailfish on n9? how is it?