Why do these things always break?

Why do these things always break?

Also what are some laptops with spare ones? I know they exist.

>Why do these things always break?
this has never happened to me once

i listen to music on my laptop for roughly 6-8hours a day, never has happened in the past 3 years.

Happened to me twice. I swear I'm careful with my stuff.

Also a third of them in computer labs at school are broken.

me as well

I'd never even heard of these breaking

This.
I also do pc repair and I've never seen a broken one in my 4 years here.

I've "broken" (it still worked, but you had to insert the plug a certain way) these exactly once and it was after some abuse that made me surprised it wasn't ripped off of the board. How do you break these?

It depends on the stress relief put into the port.
Most that I've seen that have failed are poorly designed, so that any movement of the inserted plug exerts stress on the electrical solder points (which eventually stop giving consistent electrical contact).

How the fuck can they possibly break?
Literally an analog device nigga lmao.

>Literally an analog device nigga lmao.
What does that have to do with anything?

Once because I had forgotten to remove my headphones while going to the bathroom and the cord pulled on the port. This one was totally my fault.

I have no idea about the other one. Like yours I can still get audio if I twist the cable a certain way. My laptop is old though, 7 years old.

yo break it you literally have to apply force to connector

usually happens when ur using the laptop on your lap or when you accidentally pull the headset cord

Broke it throwing my headset a lot playing CS:S.

headsets aren't for throwing
were you 9 years old or what?

What are you doing OP

I once had them break on a $20 case in 2005

But that barely counts. Why does OP chimp out when handling his audio jacks?

>Breaking something that has no moving parts and is in itself, a hole
How?

I've been extremely retarded with my treatment of a plugged-in headphone jack, and I've still never had the jack itself break on me.

I have had several cords lose connection/wear out, but the board itself is solid.

Every iPod and iPhone I've had the fucking audio jack broke. Probably why they removed it entirely.

Because you're a bumbling idiot who yanks your laptop around by the headphone wire. Don't do that and it will last longer than the laptop.

The jack on my old Pentium 4 laptop was still good when I retired it, as was the jack on my old 90's Walkman. I don't drag my stuff around by the headphone wire and I've never had a headphone jack break.

I'd say maybe Apple can't make a decent headphone jack, but the ones on my Classic and Shuffle are still good. Plugging and unplugging wires doesn't damage it. Picking it up by the wire might.

because in a lot of devices they're not attached to anything except the circuit board inside. And they're only attached to that by a solder joint. Solder is not exactly a durable structural material, and repeated insertions and removals can eventually crack or break it, leading to poor contact.

I had this happen to a power jack on a laptop. Different plug, same principle. I opened it up, soldered it down again, and added some glue to reinforce it so it wouldn't happen again.

it's certainly possible to design these things so that they're more durable. You fix the jack down tighter, or attach it to the chassis of the device (possibly on a daughterboard) A lot of things don't go to the trouble though, because it saves a few cents per unit to not do that.

I once took my laptop to a microcenter to ask about having it fixed. They were like "yea this is going to cost you basically the price of the laptop to fix since you'd need to replace the motherboard"
So either they are retarded and scaring off customers, or they are right and that explains why you don't see it often.

Second one is probably caused by accumulated dirt inside the jack

I fell off my chair. Got caught in the headphone cord and fell back on my head.

2nd time the socket just came loose like it just prolapsed.

The collided ones that poke out on like audio cards and motherboards never break though.

>What does that have to do with anything?
analog devices can't break user, don't you know that's why everyone is moving back to analog? it's unbreakable!

If they're well designed and you don't treat them like shit, they will never break.

There are some clumsy/violent mofos in this thread.

This.
Most likely you have a faulty plug which is minimally bigger than the standard allows.

/thread

Is this meme part of the Apple headphone jack backlash? Why pretend that headphone jacks aren't among the first things to go? I feel like I'm being gaslit here.

OP, headphone ports break because they're one of the most stressed components and because shit tends to get inside and then compressed by jacks. That's why it's so much more common for phone and laptop ports to go bad than on desktops. Quite a few people have gotten me to fix their phone's headphone jacks, and what I've run into a lot is that the DAC itself will be one of the only things screwed in and not soldered on. It seems like manufacturers expect to get a lot of people using their warranties for that beyond any other issue. The ones that aren't like that have the shittiest connection possible and only get loose at the contacts.

I was trying to clean stuff out of the center cushion part of my headphones with damp cloth

now i think i may have damaged the headphones?

sound is dull even when max volume?

I think I'll go with retarded. The cost is less than a dollar for the part + maybe 15 minutes of work.

same

No idea, I don't think I've had one break on me in the last decade. Then again, I don't use them that much, I mostly leave things connected for extended periods of time.

Seconded. I've owned, built many computers over the years, over a decade's worth of experience and not a single one has broken so far.
In total roughly 20 computers.

>always break
huh? never happened to me.

stop putting your micropenis in there and they will be okay.

They don't physically break /themselves/, but the solder joints where they connect to the circuit board /do/ which is why it will work if you jiggle it, and you eventually can't make it work by jiggling it because you've made the crack in the solder joint wider by jiggling it.

Once you have the laptop open it's a 5 minute fix. The problem is getting the laptop open. Especially if it's a consumer-level HP or some such nonsense. Because they don't engineer those for easy servicing. Because reasons.

If you are habitually breaking them, get a USB to audio output. Break that instead. They're

Same. My 8 year-old PC still working fine.

Honestly mate, out of all the tech stuff and guitar amps and bass amps me and my family have had, i have never had one break on me, which i find weird cause like you said i thought it'd be one of the first to go but it just works

Wtf same, I've seen the actual 3.5mm jacks break, but never the ports themselves.

The big ones on guitar amps will probably be the last remaining artifacts of our civilisation. I've never had a problem with those either. The tiny owns I find to be very flimsy.

would be pretty cool if millions of years from now when humanity has died and there is no trace of civilization except from a 6.3mm jack

fpbp

I've never managed to break one of these.
>Also what are some laptops with spare ones? I know they exist.
I used to have an HP 6c95dx, it had two headphone jacks and one mic.

Mine broke on my T420.

THIS IS ACTUALLY A PROBLEM EVEN IF IT HASN'T HAPPENED TO YOU.

The ports or the jacks? The female ends are always fine but the male ends are easy to snap or pull on and damage the wiring.

it takes abuse. phones and laptops that move, the plug eventually gets ripped out at odd angles.

Does quality improve or decline with usb ports? I've heard the more ports in use the slower response times and quality.

Because 3.5mm is weak and should only be on phones/portable players. Everything else should use the glorious 1/4 inch

What kind of new meme is this?

Straw man, it's been around for hundreds of years.

Had to get one of these after my son pulled my laptop off a table and broke the jack. Hda-jack-retask is working fine for linux, but windows is retarded.

There might be a windows solution, but I haven't figured it out

This

What kind of shit are you cramming in there/what kind of chink shit did you buy?

These things have never broken on me.

it's basically a complete separate sound card.

bait/10
obvious shill is obvious

The thing about the 1/8 headphone jack.. IS THEY DONT BREAK. Even if you put the plug in it and push it down sideways, the plug would break before the fucking jack.

sage/10

Never broken one.. never seen a broken one... never had to fix a broken one.
Maybe you broke?

>Tfw you cross over into the universe where broken 3.5mm audio outs is such an uncommon problem that most people haven't even heard of it happening

Thank god I'm not in that horrible place anymore. Does C3PO still have one silver leg in this universe?

literally /thread
It's tougher these days, but you can usually find a service manual that will tell you how to disassemble your laptop to the point you need it at. Go slow, don't strip the screws, and if you don't have a spudger then prepare for scratch marks.

>spudger
>not using the flat head in a swiss knife with 0 fucks given

This. Neither did the jack itself. Not in the last 16 years at least. It's always, ALWAYS cables breaking.

I just use a credit card or a plastic ruler.

this. I've broken tons of headphones though. Flimsy apple pieces of shit.

Lmao wtf are you doing. Are blasting a water into the port? Literally never broke a headphone port my whole life living on this shitty world.

buy less shit computers maybe op, idk

never happened to me on any of my thinkpads or elitebooks