Who else here never owned a smartphone or laptop?

How many of you only use a desktop, and no "mobile" devices like smartphones, tablets or laptops?

You're on the wrong board son.

why senpaitachi? I'd assume tech-minded people would rather use desktop than underpowered laptops or smartphones.

Today's equipment can handle 90-99% situations a desktop can do.

Haha guys, I'm a neo luddite on Sup Forums, aren't I just something special? I'm in my twenties but afraid of ten year old technology!

Tech minded people don't really need too much power, coding is in most cases low demand work, and new laptops are a fine solution to even power users that have to travel

You mean 90-99% of what YOU do with a desktop right?

I'm not afraid, I just don't want to buy expensive smartphone/laptops with my mom's money just for the sake of it. Desktop serves me well and is much cheaper to incrementally upgrade.

I have never owned a "smartphone" I still use my old flip phone. I currently use a laptop, but only because my PC broke, however I never take it anywhere or move it. Just use it as a regular PC. All that other stuff is just useless garbage.

I agree with you. I don't travel much, so "portability" is not an issue. Why should I buy a more expensive laptop when I will be using it like a desktop anyway.

I use all of the mobile devices mentioned but I don't even own a desktop.
How does that make you feel OP?

How old are you?

You should get a smartphone user they're great.

Are they worth it if I'll be using it at home 99% of the time, and very rarely outside? I might ask mom to gift me a cheap Android phone, but I'm not sure it'll get much use. A kindle would be more useful I think.

PC is for gaymin and resource intensive things, laptop is for fucking around with gnu/linux and programming.

>programming on laptop with shitty chiclet "keyboard"

Yea right.

>smartphone

Aka "portable tracking device".

>I might ask mom

kek'd irl, thanks faggot

I have several laptops. I much prefer them to desktops since I don't do gaming or anything too intense on my machines. My 2006 MBP and 2008 Thinkpad were easy to install Libreboot on as well. I also use free and open source hard drive firmware on my boot drives. As far as mobile devices go, I have an iPod touch first generation for music only and a Nexus 9 running Debian that only connects to public networks that I use for light web browsing. I highly recommend doing this. Feels good man. Also fuck cell phones. I have an iPhone 5 provided by my job that I use too. It's a laggy piece of shit and I keep the cameras covered at all times.

Oh god.

>with my mom's money
Kek

It's nice to have a phone but if I lost it I could certainly get by without. Desktop is maximum comfy and would feel like all purpose in life was lost without it. Mobile phones can make you wanna kill yourself at times. But messaging people can be fun

Is this b8?

What do you do on a desktop that you can't do on a laptop?

No smartphone. Still using my Nokia 6700 Classic.

The only laptop I bought was in 2003 which I still have. Still works well but the battery is obviously dead. I do remember craving a gaymen laptop but thankfully I grew out of that. I also have lots of laptop hand me downs though from family. It's crazy how disposable they're considered now compared to when I got my first one.

Oh, I forgot I had a N800 which is basically a smartphone without the phone part. It coped okay with browsing, although it was slow. Software support was unfortunately dropped quick but I still use it as a media player as it can hold 2 SD cards.

>mom's money

How can you be like that, I mean if I were to go so low as to talk about my mother's money as if it were mine I'd probably hang myself.

I have a laptop but I don't take it outside, I use it on the bed. Very comfy.

A regular phone could probably be tracked just as much in today's standards.

>Many people commenting about OP's mom and her money

OK, she's the most disgraceful whore on the planet given that she gave birth to OP. The fact that she gives him money is disrespectful and embarrassing, sure, but it's not what you are trying to say: OP might be a poor loser, sure, it most likely is a fat lunatic ugly freak, but this beyond the point. The point is that he is just asking for advice.
Reminding him of his poor choices is not kind. Reminding him of how much of a fucking parasite he is for asking money to his mother is surely correct, but definitely not sympathetic. Let's help him in the search of an answer! Let's forget about the horrible person that resides behind what his dysfunctional brain decided to post. You know what? Here's some advice: buy only the essential components of the phone (e.g. without screen and camera) and build one yourself, it's easy and funny. And while you're at it you may as well give a nice fuck at your mother huh? She deserve it. Maybe stick your little penis in her tight and old anus?
Cum buckets on the breasts that once fed you, you ungrateful son of a dirty rotten whore

Not same guy but fuck off am i running matlab on a slow ass laptop that throttles hard after a few mins let alone hours. Would make my life a misery.
Also gaymen when I do have time is a dream on desktop. Laptop a shit because lower power. Storage is pretty limited on a laptop too if you don't have any actual work to do and want media, or you're a hoarder like me lol.

Sure you can technically do the same things on a laptop, just with much greater difficulty, time, price and compromises.
>what do you do on your laptop that you can't do on your phone?
See where that goes?