/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

blancpain.com/en/watch/2850b-1130a-64b
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F-series_watches
beco-technic.com/media/pdf/eta_f06111_de_en_fr.pdf
zonacasio.blogspot.be/2013/02/comparativa-casio-f-91w-vs-casio-f84w.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grob_G_115
twitter.com/AnonBabble

WIS don't know about Ball watches. Thought everyone did.

That doesn't sound right

The fuck you talking about? You can't handwind an SNK809.

How much can this cost?

can someone ID this watch?

doesn't look like any flieger or stowa model i know, and that's all i can guess.

Good morning /wt/!
I am still bored out of my mind!
Last night i bought a twin penis king quartz for 140eurobux. Does anyone know if i could fit the movt/dial oh the twin penis into pic related? Are the cases exactly the same? Is it heresy to do so?

I should rotate that damn picture sometime

I got curious and did a little research, this is what is claimed he wears and it looks pretty similar to me.
blancpain.com/en/watch/2850b-1130a-64b

Is there a watch with solid link bracelet under $150-200?

Can anyone explain the different between solid link and other bracelets?

Well, solid links are sold pieces of steel. Some cheaper bracelets are just hollow folded sheets of metal. I think the OP meant solid end links, that connect the bracelet to the watch with the spring bar, which are again solid, whereas the others are folded.

Probably not, maybe some chink shit.

"In the making of a watch, if
one man make the wheels, another the
spring, another shall engrave the dial-plate
, and another shall make the cases, then
the watch will be better and cheaper, than if the whole work be put upon any one
man." - William Petty circa 1660-1670

Division of labour means less qualified craftsman, which means cheaper labour, who'd have thought.

Why do people hate ETAs again?

Because if you actively handwind it and don't get it serviced, then the reduction wheel will eat it's self. But frankly, should you get it serviced, and wear is noticed on any part, that part will be replaced.

Used Mako/Ray?

You should fuck right off with your blog.

So I'm thinking about buying my first mechanical and here in Japan I can get a skx013 for about 200 bucks, on the other hand I'm not sure if I wan to drop that much on my first on, especially as it is re-imported and thus probably coming without a box after being stored in fuck knows where in fuck knows what conditions. Anyway, my question is do you think that watch will continue to increase in price? Or is that mostly for the 007/009. Don't want to miss an opportunity especially as there is pretty much no other small watches in that price range except the Amphibia

Seiko boxes are shit anyway.

I seriously miss having the time to post more often in this threads, but anyway, have a great monday anons.

Cheers.

Quick, post lewd corrupted watches!

>don't you like my new demon-body onii-chan?

>tfw the shy MILF with cowtits gets corrupted

normally I'm against essayposting but
6 fucking lines in a row goddamn
and units per hour ew

I seriously hope this is one of those shitty third party customs.

Hey what is that citizen eco drive watch you own

>m-my body feels so hot

Rolex is pure, unlike these sinful watches.

Units per hour is the only proper alternative to tachymeter/métre. Actually writing a unit of measurement on the bezel makes it instantly a DOGSHIT watch.

What do you guys think of this? Looking for my first not shit watch and I like the look of it. Need to see it in person though.

Without the bumpy shit in the middle

Which does /wt/ like best F81W or F91W?

Avoid current Tissot, they're Swatch garbage. Guaranteed that watch has some kind of corner-cutting or strait up scamming going on with it for what it costs.

If you really want Tissot try finding a good condition vintage piece.

But most watches are swatch group watches. It's up to the company to step up and make a good product, it's not up to their parent company.

they're both dank af get both

Whoah shit really? How bad are we talking here? I mean it's not the most expensive thing but at ~$400 AUD I don't want something that cuts corners and overall fucks up the quality.

A lot of them have disposable movements and snapping caseback at a price where screwing casebacks and serviceable quartz movements should be the norm. The only thing Tissot is good at are those neat plastic red gaskets they use.

But the most disgusting is the second generation T-Touch. Those are rigged to self-destruct if they have their battery replaced outside of a Tissot certified service. The electronics brick themselves for good.

Post the model number of that watch and /wt/ will gladly tell you what's wrong with it.

>bumpy shit
the textured dial is the best thing about the watch.

Tissot Tradition T0636101603700 for the solid white and
Tissot Tradition T0636101603800 for the first I posted.

>Post the moden number of that watch and /wt/ will gladly tell you what's wrong with it.
All of Sup Forums in a nutshell.

Hey now I didn't know what else to call it.

Why can I barely find any info on the 84? Can you tell me more about it?

Very unremarkable. Honestly I don't even know why someone would bother making that watch and someone would bother buying it. It doesn't add anything over a bare wrist. It makes me sad how the watch market is FLOODED with mediocrity like this.

Surely there are some ETA movements that don't have this obvious flaw? 2892-A2 maybe?

2892 is infamous for the problem I believe.

Same module as the F-91W. According to Wikipedia it was introduced a year before the F-91W. So the Terrorist can be considered a facelifted version of that watch.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F-series_watches

The 2892 might be exempt from that (or not )
, as it has a completely different layout for the winding bridge. The lens-shaped post is still there but the whole gear train is sized differently so different forces will be in play.

Thoughts on the new Seiko Transocean?

>45mm
Too big.

Interesting lugs design. Would love it brushed though.

All movements will have flaws and will at some point need servicing. As far as durability goes Seiko/orient/miyota have movements that are far more durable in the long run, accuracy does vary and the movements as a plain as a sack of rice but it's the simplicity that makes them robust. Etas are great though, solid proven movements with great tolerances and good accuracy. Just remember that if you abuse your watches don't be surprised that you will need to service them more often.

>This meme again

Lol

This is an integrated bracelet, those aren't lugs, they're attached to the case with screws.

The real case lugs are underneath.

A lot of people seem to hate this, but I like the way it looks.
Also, this way the bracelet is more than 20mm wide at the lugs, a rarity for Seiko.

Most other Seiko divers are huge chunks of metal with a thin and dainty bracelet slapped on.

Looks fine on that particular wrist, which seems to be an average-sized, non-fat wrist.

Alright, it's not a completely terrible watch, so I'll give the pros and cons for the price you'd pay (300USD)
Pros:
>domed sapphire
>ETA F03.111/F06.111 are nice, jeweled and serviceable movements, with only a sane amount of plastic gears
>316L steel case
>butterfly clasp

Cons:
>30m WR, only splash resistant
>snapping caseback
>date window doesn't reach the edge of the dial, looks cheap, and is a sign that they didn't use the largest (i.e. more expensive) movement possible
>42mm might be too much for an all-dial watch, might look fuck-huge
>no lume

I'd say it's up to you whether it's worth the money, all in all it's one of the better Tissots with no obvious pitfalls or dealbreakers. Personally I'd get a better Jap watch like a Bambino for the money, but if you like that watch get it.

I juist copped this, don't really care that it's a shameless copy (read: homage). I'm also a big fan of the stunning sg2903 movement.
Does anyone have experience with Alpha watches?

Also this is the movement that's going to be in that watch, it's a bretty gud quartz movement really.
beco-technic.com/media/pdf/eta_f06111_de_en_fr.pdf

Forgot the pic

>"my new demon-body onii-chan"
>tfw you get this pun and you don't even watch anime

I've been in here far too long.

>stunning sg2903 movement
Stunning isn't a synonym of dogshit.

Check my stunning 5.

talk shit post wrist

>watch big enough to use as dinner plate
>watch big enough to be detected by radar
>watch big enough to deflect harmful sun and UV rays

Its a thinner/smoother design and its only sold in Japan.

More pics:
zonacasio.blogspot.be/2013/02/comparativa-casio-f-91w-vs-casio-f84w.html

The visual width of the watch is determined by the bezel, which is 43mm.
The case underneath it is slightly wider, but you almost never see it.

Also, doesn't it look perfectly fine in that wrist shot?

I might snag one of these. I quite like the plain black face on it.

Okay

I'm actually in Japan right now, just checked and that bugger only costs 8.6 bucks

what is that? it isn't an a158w, I know that much

is that a japan only model? please respond

A158WEA-1EF

Gesundheit.

Bike and scooter bike riders: do you ride with your auto?

If not, do you put it in your pocket or your bag.

I commute daily with a scooter bike so I was wondering about this.

I've read dozens of forum pages about this and mostly it comes down to:

- in theory it is harmful
- but in practice, there are dozens of bikers who say that they road regularly for years without any problem

What do you think?

How many times are you going to fucking post this.

Not even a dozen accidents killed my SKX007.

I use my g-shock on my bikes, or put my watch in my jacket inside pocket. I'd feel decently comfortable wearing a watch on an i4 sports bike compared to a thumper.

How fucking brain dead do you have to be to actually PAY someone to fuck up your 10k watch?

Get both.
My only problem with these cheapo Casios is that the strap is really thin, so any kind if repeated torque on it will make it crack.

This is blown out of proportion a bit.
Is it shitty design? Yes.
Is a 28* movement hard or expensive to service? No.

Turtle is still the best diver that Seiko makes.
Everything else is too expensive for what you get, especially considering that Seiko refuses to use sapphire or fucking align their bezels right.

>stunning
user I....
In all seriousness though, observe the accuracy and winding action. Alpha doesn't QC at all.
Also your bezel might fall off.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced pilots watch that's rated for at least 5G and has reliable lume?

I've recently started training and I've been told to find a new watch or order one from stores because my current A168 requires another hand to turn on the EL.

I was thinking about getting the Orient Flight, it looks nice enough, but there's no information on the technical stuff.

>Everything else is too expensive for what you get
DOHOHOHO

Find me a Swiss equivalent of something like a marinemaster or transocean with that level of finishing and an in-house movement, at the same price.

It's kind of a tossup between lume and reliability form what I know. Some Marathon watches look nice and rugged, and use tritium vials so you get great lume. I have no idea if they can withstand 5G though.
Orient watches are really cool, pretty average lume, and the movement's are always praised, I bet they could withstand some extra force.

has anyone bought sailcloth straps from bradystraps.com before?

NVM the Marathons, they're built like shit. :(

>blancpain.com/en/watch/2850b-1130a-64b
damn. thought it might be something i could afford. it looks very smart.

if you are bored, mail a watch to me! we can start a friendship, and i can finally have a watch.

more like seiko trashcan.

>implying any of these are undesireable traits of a watch.

They are faggot

le BENIS!

aljknb iubfeuibaw dmsngnjglskmfsalfmonher eg

What kind of training is that?

Because I've been operating plenty with my trusty watches, that is a Timex IQ Compass, a Casio AE1200, an Amphibia 090, and a Seiko SKX007, and I had no trouble with Gees with any of those, and that includes a couple car crashes, getting thrown off a bike, and other fun stuff. Really you should be less worried about what your watch can survive and more about how much YOU can survive. Your watch will survive you, rest assured of that, no need to pay extra money just to ensure some fucker will get a nice watch off your dead body.

As for "wow he needs a second hand to turn on the EL", that's fucking autism. With auto-EL quartz, you'd have to flick your wrist anyway, and with lume or tritium, you'd shine like the fucking moon with the shittiest soviet nightvision goggles. If you're operating, you don't want to be emitting any kind of light, because even lume on ironsights can get you spotted.

Stick to a Casio and tell whoever that is to fuck off because the autists at Sup Forums told you he's wrong. Or if he's really being a cunt about it or you can't avoid it, get a Gshock DW5610 which is the best compromise, so you can be flicking your wrist like a mad man and get everyone killed.

Thoughts on calculator watches?

>tell your flight instructor he's wrong cause Sup Forums told me so
wew but i want to keep fledgling career as a pilot if at all possible

whatchu flyin user?

>not wanting an impromptu dinner plate
>wanting those harmful uv rays on your delicate wrist
shiggy diggy dude

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grob_G_115

Babbys first trainer, but we do include aerobatics later in the syllabus.

sorry for late reply, but yes there is no denying it fits you perfectly. as you cannot tell tone over internet, that is not sarcasm either.

how are these kind of straps called?

where can I buy them online?

Oh you really are a pilot then, I thought you only wanted a "pilot styled" watch.

Then riddle me this: ISN'T THERE A FUCKING CLOCK IN THOSE FUCKING PLANES????

Seriously, I don't get that thing about pilot watches, there certainly is a time indicator somewhere that can be used, and that will be infinitely more practical and reliable than a watch you need to flick your wrist to read. It's like those railroad station agents, surrounded by accurately adjusted clocks, but leaving the exact time of train departures to whatever dogshit they have on their wrists.

Because whatever you wear, you'll have to flick your wrist, which is hardly more practical than requiring two hands. Which actually doesn't require two hands, just a single one to press the button while the watch wearing hand can do something else.

1) Who sets that clock? (You do, as part of preflight, from your watch which is synced to a source of truth in your unit)
2) What happens if that panel clock isn't working, or you need to leave the aircraft for whatever reason?
3) It's still a fucking pain having to reset your watch every time you do aerobatics.