Is there such thing as a Linux desktop environment that doesn't look like trash?

Is there such thing as a Linux desktop environment that doesn't look like trash?

I don't know how people put up with this when they could use an OS like Windows 10 or macOS that at least has some coherent aesthetic.

Other urls found in this thread:

box-look.org/p/1017414/
peppermintos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The bait.

Cinnamon with the GTK Arc theme.

Budgie on Solus.

kevin stop

GNUStep with windowmaker

It's 2016. Not fucking 1997.

>Windows 10
>coherent aesthetic
You misspelled Windows 7.

Windows 10 is a clusterfuck of different context menus and a mix of inconsistent powerpoint slides between applications.

I would like to extend the question with: Is there a ui library that doesn't rape your code if you try to use it? QT and GTK seriously?

i actually really like the elementary OS desktop manager

its super cozy

pic related, sorry

Budgie really is fucking nice looking though. I'm half tempted to get it running on Arch but I don't want to pull a ton of GNOME shit for the complete setup.

solus

YOUR TERMINAL FONT IS FUCKED

go back to india, curryshill.
Solus fonts look amazing and your shitty windows os will never catch up.

Welp that's a fucking shame. As soon as I try to use the Budgie session, Mint Display Manager just logs me into a Cinnamon session.

>I have poor taste

Go install Gnome 3 then bitch

These look horrible. Am I being pranked here?

Its doing you a favor.

How the fuck did you make Solus look so bad?

That's mint for you.
It's shit.

Because solus is bad.

I'm using MDM on Arch because I use Cinnamon (though it wouldn't surprise me if Mint does it as well)

That said however, when it dumps me back into Cinnamon it's usually because the session failed to start for whatever reason so it falls back to the default. With that in mind it's probably not MDM but rather some bullshit with gnome-session or something.

I'll probably play around with it later and see if I can get it running.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Budgie pulls gnome-session as a dep so you're stuck with a gnome session option.

That would be Solus with budgie.

Is that a default terminal font? It looked bugged out. It is completely unreadable

Kevin.
Be honest.
How much are they paying you?
Id do it for some free money on one of my other laptops. Let me in on the gravy train you underaged nigger.

>packages: 0
That's not solus

It is not. It's a system font that that stupid user chose to use. I'm amazed he managed to make Solus look so bad.

I stuck to the default solus fonts because they look pretty good already and saw no reason to tinker with it.

With ricing, anything is possible.

Cinnamon /thread

post screenfetch

Cinnamon is top tier. The screen-tearing has pushed me away though, have you found a way around that?

Ok... I don't see why it matters.

Yes, do something productive with your computer instead of moving windows around all day

why would i want a distracting black boarder? why not aluminium?

It does look comfy af, but every time I try it, it's buggy beyond use. Everything crashes all the time, the file manager, midori, even the dock. Has that changed lately? Did they release a new version after Ubuntu 16.04?

>asstroubled mint user mad his DE tears

What? No, that's who I was replying to. How do you fail comprehension this badly? Christ.

The issue is they've really been trying to straight up copy Windows, despite their hate for it. But then they try to copy it visually, all the while missing any kind of coherence or even direction, and then they even miss the features. And this is applicable on a global scale, because clicking a traffic cone to watch a video isn't exactly my idea of a "modern GUI", nor is starting an application called "Dolphin" to browse my files. OpenOffice/LibreOffice is the worst offender. Each OpOf milestone is a perfect GUI clone of each major MS Office version, but missing all the tiny details that make the GUI actually fucking awesome. And GUI is all about the details.

OSS in general is like monkeys mimicking humans, that's how terribly basic it is, and using it as is with zero customization is a nightmare. And if you think it's good enough, you really have no fucking idea how great GUI can be. Now it's great that it is customizable, but normies have neither the time nor the skills for this shit for sure and that's why they hate OSS in general, and rightfully so. It's just unfinished all across the board, and huge efforts need to be made until Linux finally is usable, starting maybe with how they could admit Windows is a nice piece of GUI, and even Windows Phone is so highly functional it makes my dick diamonds.

customization mate

tailor it to your liking

Use something else than default Ubuntu wp

hipster detected

I like the default icons though. I'm sick of Numix Circle, and everything else isn't complete enough for me to like it.

its a pentium 3 era laptop, it kinda fits

What's that theme and how do you get it?

is this the new desktop thread?

its just redmond + a set of old windows icons
and the start button

Oh okay. Thank you.

oh and this does the window borders on openbox
box-look.org/p/1017414/

but i think with xfce or maybe kde you can just tweak settings to make those look like old windows

How many times will you keep reposting this after it's been deleted?
I hope you get rangebanned.

Ah I see. So Redmond gtk theme and Windows Classic Openbox theme. Got it!

Nope

>I hope you get rangebanned.
>let others who use the same isp suffer because a weeb posts cute 2d anime girls

samefag

and just to save some googling

You are very sweet!

(You)

Reported again. Will you please just fucking go away? Please? You're not funny or clever, you're just irritating. At least start using a weeabo trip so we can filter you.

very nice but 'im too lazy to leave Gnome

Are you looking for a distro/DE that looks good out of the box? Look at Peppermint OS. It's Ubuntu based so it's easy to use, it uses LXDE so it's super light, only requires 512MB RAM and less than 8GB drive space. It also ingegrates Google services like Drive with Sheets, Slides, Docs, etc. and makes them feel like native apps because fuck web browsers. Solus cucks don't have this kind of productivity software installed. Install Peppermint OS.

peppermintos.com/

deepin looks sweet
chinese botnet, but looks sweet

Shill.

>thinking that this looks good
You're not even trying, at least Solus looks nice with all the default settings...

You are right in a way.

This is a good example. A shit clone theme that misses every single feature that made the Win9x - 2000 GUI so godly in the first place. There is a reason these screen shots only show a terminal open.

>coherent
I think the word you are looking for is Consistent.

You can make your desktop look like anything fuck off.

why you posted pic from the year 2005?

yeah it seems fine. been using it for a couple weeks, hasn't broken for me yet

Interesting.

yes.

chakra, elementary, maui, hawaii, solus, and mint all look great ootb.

>how much is a niche linux distro developers paying underage people to shill their product on /gee/
i would guess nothing.

Whisker is goat. I would a mutter-based xfce4 desktop (since mutter vsync is the best since 3.20) with gtk3 compatibility, would be best usability + best visual experience. And no i dont care for 2% cpu usage or extra 200 RAM used at this point.

I would love*

When last have you used W10? They fixed the context menus in the anniversary update and it's gradually becoming holistic in terms of design. It's pretty much just file explorer and task manager that need an update now.

I really like the look of Elementary but it's buggy beyond use whenever I try it. For the most part it's just a riced and stripped down version of Ubuntu GNOME anyway.

idk what's buggy or broken for you guys, literally everything works fine for me.

but yeah its basically just a mac-ified ubuntu

>The issue is they've really been trying to straight up copy Windows,
Windows copied Linux DEs too and there are very odd tiling wms that don't have anything to do with Windows.

>missing any kind of coherence or even direction

???

>And GUI is all about the details.

Then W10 is a piece of shit.

>OSS in general is like monkeys mimicking humans

LSD kicked in?

>using it as is with zero customization is a nightmare

At least it's customizable. Incredible.

>you really have no fucking idea how great GUI can be

You don't for sure.

>huge efforts need to be made until Linux finally is usable

wtf is usable for you?

>admit Windows is a nice piece of GUI, and even Windows Phone is so highly functional it makes my dick diamonds.

I expected this, but the degenerate comments not.

>They fixed the context menus
any by that you mean that they made every one huge and dark

My main problem is that Elementary crashes when you plug an external monitor into a laptop running it, it's a thing even in Loki.

>but yeah its basically just a mac-ified ubuntu
But it's not. Elementary always gets compared to macOS but vanilla Ubuntu really is the closest thing to it in terms of functionality. It's the easiest distro to rice and pretend you're using a Mac with.

>any by that you mean that they made every one huge and dark
Basically. They could have at least made them inherit the user's accent colour but maybe that'll come with the Creator's Updateâ„¢ considering they're expanding that option.

I hate Linux GUIs but...
>Windows
>coherent
Fucking lol

Windows 10 GUI is like 2016 combined with 1996.

And people say linux is shit for hidpi scaling ,and this looks ok to me, great maybe if not those blurry buttons (but this is normal for firefox i guess). Also fonts are much better than all those osx screenshots.

>posts picture of shitty kde3 desktop
>wonders why it looks shitty
Even back then kde was considered shite and it is now.

GNOME is, and always will be, the de facto standard. GNOME is highly themeable and expendable and can be made to look *exactly* as you want it to look.

>no animations

Plasma looks pretty good desu and it's better than GNOME if you want an experience closer to Windows.

>wanting unnecessary, distracting slowdown

>looks

> ill prove win10 is consistent by saying it's inconsistent!
are you ok? do you have brain damage?

Do you ever stop trying so hard? I wasn't trying to prove anything:

>when last have you used W10?
>it's gradually becoming more consistent
>points out what needs to be worked on

KDE Neon. And pretty much any distro with KDE 5.x.

Use ratpoison. I don't get why anyone using linux would want to use the mouse. It's so much more fluid and powerful with simply the keyboard.

Why would you not use a mouse if you have one?

epeen

Cinnamon crashes for me at least once a day on my laptop. It's no good.

Nice b8.
>ZorinOS
>Elementary
>Ubuntu
>Ubuntu Mate or gnome
>solus
>mint+cinnamon
There are plenty of aesthetically pleasing desktop environments. All of these listed ones come with a default DE more beautiful than Windows 10, although that's not even a contest since winshit looks terrible now.

1) Reaching between the keyboard and mouse wastes precious time that could be better spent navigating quicker with the keyboard.

2) Breaking from the keyboard to reach for the mouse often breaks my train of thought, which can be annoying when coding.

3) Using the keyboard is faster and more precise than visually having to click things with the mouse.

4) I don't have a mousepad taking up desk space where I write algorithms, equations down, etc. It provides more room for activities.

Switching to vim, vimperator, and ratpoison increased my productivity quite a bit.

5) EPEEN

That looks like shit.

May I ask what you people mean with screen-tearing?

from top to bottom
>meme metro
>meme flat
>perfection
diamonds are forever; that is why Loonix looks the same

flat plat

Didn't Betts moved on to developing StumpWM which is ratpoison in Common Lisp? How and you are still on rp?