/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

what advantages will i get if i get the 90v adapter for my x220?

Sockfags go home

My IBM thinkpad with 4:3 aspect ratio lies over the ocean
My IBM thinkpad with 4:3 aspect ratio lies over the sea
My IBM thinkpad with 4:3 aspect ratio lies over the ocean
Oh bring back my IBM thinkpad with 4:3 aspect ratio back to me

Are screens from T431s compatible with my T420?

this would be good if you had striped socks and shaved

Finally got the new keyboard and battery for my x220

How many ThinkPads do you have?

I'll start: i got 5
-T61
-L520
-T420
-W530
-X220

within the week, old men will be running the world.

90w:
- battery charges faster
- cpu may score marginally higher in stupid benchmarks like wei
- iirc the minimum required for acceptable performance while used in a dock

65w:
- smaller

can you use the 90w without a battery installed?

I bought the E560 thinkpad for 9000 NOK. Did I fuck up?

I'm new to Sup Forums

I recently got my hands on a Dell Latitude E6400.

Any suggestions on what to do with it?

Seems kitted out.

install gentoo

put trump stickers on it and install gentoo

Having some issues with the virtual scrolling of my x200 running Windows 10 build 14393. Can this be helped?

Install Solus

insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/
Everything but the sd card reader works apparently. Of course the wifi card doesnt, but thats fixable by flashing a custom bios or getting a $10 USB adapter.

what can i do to a t440 to make it better

Is $250CAD (~$185USD) for a brand new T430 a good deal?

Your appointment with FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the Senator.

Hi I fell on a patch of ice and landed on my w500. The screen broke and I am now hunting for a replacement. What is a good replacement with the same feel as the w500. I'd like to have a tad more juice and a slightly brighter screen in the replacement. The one I've looked into a bit more is the T420, any suggestions or things I should keep in mind?

So my X230 is kill. I don't like nor X250, nor X260. I mean there is no USB-C on X260, what year it is, 1945? So yeah, I am going to get System 76 Lemur now. Any tips on this?

thinkpad?

more like shitpad

Need a thinkpad for hackintosh, I'm thinking x220
Anyone done it?

I want to splurge, what's the best I can get within 500?

Sanyo confirmed for the best producer of 18650 cells ever.
>T430 9cell genuine battery
>80+ cycles
>still 101% of original capacity
Get rekt, chinks.

Is there a way to get the physical audio buttons working on my t420? On antegross

that's bullshit, desu.
if your x220/x230 doesn't get enough power from PSU it starts to drain the battery. The reason why thinkpads without batteries are throttled is because batteries in lelnovo thinkpads contain voltage regulators.

>start at 88% and stop at 94%
for what purpose?

yes, just install windows

No no, on antegross

Charging your battery to 95-100% causes faster wear of cells.

write a script to raise lower mute the volume, use your de to make a custom keyboard shortcut using your audio keys that call those scripts

meant to
also
>anteGROSS
That's gross, dude. Purge it and install OS for real men.

T430 confirmed for master race.

Whenever I move my t420 lid it goes into sleep mode as if I've closed the lid completely.

Is it an easy fix, /tpg/?

I have no idea what any of that means. I still have to look up how to install stuff in the linux command line

install Windows 10

no I like linux

30 minute later reply, I still love you

I'm torrenting right now so if I open more than 4 tabs my browser freezes up, sorry senpai

I need to get a new battery for my T420, I want the 9 cell but do you guys have any preference for what to go for or is it just the cheapest I can find?

My x230 has a sanyo 9-cell battery pack.

73% full charge capacity compared with factory specs.

8h on Windows.
6h30 on Linux.

Did you try resetting it?

Yes. Went from 72% to 73%. Somewhat wore out battery pack.
I'm pretty happy with it. Eventually I'll buy a new 6 or 9-cell battery, when this one wears out further. It went down from 76% to 73% in a year of being owned by me, so the last owner (swedish lady in a business) must have used the laptop like a retard in he two years she owned it.

What kind of battery should I buy for my T420? Chink 6 cell? Chink 9 cell? Real 6 cell? Real 9 cell?

here, 6 or 9 cell is down to preference
You wont find a real lenovo battery for a reasonable price, you'll be looking at chinkshit.
But I do like the 9 cell even if it does make the battery stick out back

>dGPU
real 9 cell
>no dGPU
real 6 cell or good chink 9 cell like antek

How many cycles?
My previous x230 had 75% of original capacity after 300 cycles. Pretty good score to be honest

It's a t420 so it doesn't have a dGPU

Will Thinkpads ever return to 16:10 screens?

Why can't lenovo order custom panels like Apple does?

>within the week, old men will be running the world.

Without changing a thing because they ran it in the first place.

T420 can't have dGPUs tards

>Will Thinkpads ever return to 16:10 screens?
>Why can't lenovo order custom panels like Apple does?

No demand. They exist to make money. It's a very niche market.

ugh, you don't get the good memes user

Are you retarded? There was a T420 model with an Nvidia 4200 something, it's below the CPU and there's even coolers with 3 pipes for it

T420 Optimus nvs4200 isn't enough dedication for you

Why doesn't my X230 (on W7) play sound and YouTube videos until I hibernate it and turn it on again?

-X230
-X60
-T400

What do the rumours say about the upcoming Thinkpad announcements?

Anything worth waiting for or should I go ahead and make a purchase now?

I am indeed retarded, sorey

but my t420 has a gtx 950 :^)

I tried reapplying thermal paste to the CPU and GPU on my t530, but a screw attaching the heat pipe to the GPU is stripped and I couldn't remove it with a regular screwdriver. Am I fucked? Ask for pics.

my guess is that a screw extractor might help in removing the stripped head. I'll bite, what does it look like? pics?

also, any reputable t420 resellers on ebay? one with a 1600x900 res would be nice.

Also, I'm scared that a screw extractor might accidentally scratch the motherboard or the vibrations from drilling might crack the motherboard.

That looks hardly stripped and there's even enough room for some small pliers. Maybe try the rubber band trick first or just a properly fitting flathead.

I tried needle-nose pliers and the rubber band trick. Fuck it, I could try the rubber band trick again. It's a lot more stripped than it looks. Last night I was working on that screw for 20 minutes and pressed down really hard when I tried to unscrew it. Nothing worked yet.

Is there a New ThinkPad out right now that's about $300? I only need to use it for Photoshop some shitposting, video editing and spreadsheets
I just don't want to buy a used laptop and it be full of malware or on the verge of needing everything inside of the laptop replaced

By the way, it's the one on the left.

it very well could be the screw was machine tightened :-/

Well fuck.

Has anyone done something like this before?

By the way, while doing this I think I broke the seal on the CPU quite a few times because now under load it gets up to 95 C.

Don't think so.

You can buy a used Thinkpad with no/barely-any wear and no replacements needed and have it be great for photoshop for that price.

Have an IBM x61 and Lenovo T60. Both have insane wireless issues on any network, connecting to any AP. Mind, I've only ever put Slackware on either, which ships with an okder version of wicd (my preferred network manager) and wpa_supplicant. Is this a card issue? I've been trying to get NixOS on one of my machines and it needs wireless to grab packages, but I cannot connect.

This is sex

>Love the idea of a thinkpad
>Old Acer laptop is still running strong and better than the t420

Until this thing actually breaks it'd feel like a downgrade, which makes me want to dump a ton of money on something more expensive.

I'm poorfag so i bought ThinkPad L450. And its pretty fucking good machine for its price.

Lack of keyboard backlight is bad but im a writer so i dont care about it.

also: cyka blyat

What is the minimum model required for running PS & AI. I am on a budget and there are refurbished models on Amazon for $~166+

cheap used x1 carbon, or w520 if you game

>Lack of keyboard backlight is bad
this really shook my jangles

I'd recommend a t430, t530, or w530.

How much did you buy it for?

$600

Brutal

there is no many good choises in russia so i have to buy it

Cyka blyat

You got robbed, dear user.
Anyway, if you're a writer, that keyboard will be nice, it's literally the same keyboard used in the xx40 thinkpad series.

Wtf is shis hipster company? THey just snap thir sticker on a chinese laptop and install ubuntu? So, this is how you make business in 2016, right?

This^

You can.
You can even use the 65W without battery, but it throttles the CPU to 800 MHz

retro ThinkPad on CES 2017

Okay, well there's a lot you can still try. If you have them, sometimes torx screwdrivers grab better. Otherwise superglue another screw to the top. Last time I had a fucked up screw in my headphones I removed the screw's head with a drill, but maybe that's not the best idea here.

That doesn't happen on my X230.

What browser are you using? Chrome will always be best Youtube player because Google owns it.

Firefox will remain best news reader because extensions block anything you want blocked.

Sounds suspicious.

I like SMALL visegrips, with the tip of the jaws filed or ground slightly if necessary, to pinch screw heads.

Most notebook screw heads are rounded by slightly incorrect screwdrivers. I use Wiha 00 and and 0 with much happiness.

If desperate and thorough, you could cover EVERYTHING around the screw head with automotive painters tape and kitchen cling wrap, then cut a slot across the screw head with a Dremel abrasive disc (the type with the fiber grid is best) then remove the screw. I've done that for other screws, it works, but it's an asspain.

>Until this thing actually breaks it'd feel like a downgrade, which makes me want to dump a ton of money on something more expensive.

Just wait until after the holidays for bargains. Thinkpads aren't the only notebooks, and most notebook users don't really need a notebook so if yours doesn't leave battle station you could also do a desktop.

But happens with the X220

I have a battle station, but I have a laptop to use in bed and take with me to class/work. I was thinking of a 2013 rMBP-15 for about $1700, but just to splurge without going too overboard.

Which model is the Acer?
I despise Acer because every model I've seen has had some sort of issue

It's an aspire ultrabook I picked up around mid 2012. I replaced the fan, battery, dvd-drive, and hdd over the past four years.