PC building general

PC building general
/Pcbg/
OP didn't copy the last thread edition
Use PCPartPicker.com to build your PC and post it here for us to rate
Use logicalincrements.com to get an idea of a good build around your budget
If someone that isn't retarded would like to post the rest of the links that would be rad
No fighting please

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/wbfzkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/cyffhq
pcpartpicker.com/list/LDFNvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/DtVKcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/8tXrm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/VRNhKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/bpgMwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/s68tQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/33ynd6
pcpartpicker.com/list/qgPpr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/VffTPs
en.yibada.com/articles/172786/20161111/amd-zen-amd-cpu-amd-x86-zen-amd-processor.htm
pcpartpicker.com/list/4s7NvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/ZhnQ7P
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/V9hMpg
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4JMWf8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

pcpartpicker.com/list/wbfzkT
Is this build any good? Will be using for gaymen because I'm a lonely manchild

>Sup Forums absolutely hates black people
>this meme was probably made by someone on Sup Forums
hmm...

>1998 was more than 20 years ago

Nigger go away

Dammit guys just tell me if my build is shit

Cheapest CPU for the rx 470/480?
I'm looking to upgrade next year anyway, so nothing expensive and overpowered please, I can deal with slightly reduced settings for a year.

I'm going to assume you will be playing low-mid range games until you get an upgrade. With an Rx 470 I'd get a Xeon e5450. It's quad core, 3ghz, and 50 dollars. Only downside is that you need an adapter for the motherboard

>450W power supply
>on a 1300 bucks system
>no word on quality, brand or certification on the PSU they include
Get a cheap case that does it's job and a separate PSU

Test

But muh portability and size

pcpartpicker.com/list/cyffhq
Thoughts? Trying to avoid bottlenecks
Also, is the i5 Overkill? Could get an i3 for like 100$ and get a better MoBo or GPU
(mostly for gaming)

May want to get an i3 and a 470/1060 if you can

Also that's including a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. The system itself it barely over $1k

Still, he's obviously aiming for quality, a no-name 450W PSU he's not even sure what model it's too big of a risk.
I would understand standing cheap on case, RAM or monitor but that shit has the potential to fry the whole shit
You can get quality sleek cases for 30 bucks, get a 80+ bronze PSU with it, 550-600W should be more than enough even at full load and it should make up for the extra cost with additional efficiency in a few months

It's an Integra sfx bronze 80+ psu. I'll go with your recommendation, however.

Updated
pcpartpicker.com/list/LDFNvV
Is this better? I'm getting a node 202 because muh LAN parties

pcpartpicker.com/list/DtVKcc
Any changes I should make? Mainly for gaming.

pcpartpicker.com/list/8tXrm8
Changes:
>Better cooler
>Got rid of meme motherboard
>Got rid of EVGA graphics card
>Got rid of meme case
>N E V E R go with evga psu
>Got rid of meme monitor (I have an Asus rog swift, I regret not getting this and saving $200)
Done. Not bad first draft, but don't fall for the meme.

Thanks for the advice on everything, except for the monitor. I never go with Acer, always have trouble with their products and customer service. The EVGA card was for the Step-Up program they offer for the 1080ti. I had really no idea what I was doing with PSU and Mobo, so thanks for that. Case too, desu plastics are ugly on it (phantom).

Build something comparable to this for hosting over 20 VMs natively
pcpartpicker.com/list/VRNhKZ

No, don't go with SSD if you're keeping it as your main, because 240GB will go by quickly. Get a Seagate Barracuda HDD, it will be slower, but you'll get a reliable, quality hard drive with a terabyte of storage.

pcpartpicker.com/list/bpgMwV have some full retard

I'll get 2tb ssd later down the line

>meme case

I dont like the phantom but if anything, the define is the meme case around here

What about Enthoo Luxe?

not enough neckbeards with raging hardons for the enthoo luxe trying to look "mature"

well cases are really all about your personal preference. What do you kind of case do you want? Silent cases? Cases with big acrylic/glass side panels that show your hardware? Cases that focus on delivering maximum airflow?

pcpartpicker.com/list/s68tQV
Going for a complete build under $1100, any changes y'all have to offer?

pcpartpicker.com/list/33ynd6
Same person, just updated to switch mobo

Get a 1060 and a 6300/6400
Get a small ssd for boot times
Literally anything but corsair and evga psu
Get OS on kinguin
Get sennheiser headphones and a modmic
Get a not meme case
And you're good!
My recommendation
pcpartpicker.com/list/qgPpr7

>non fractal case

Nice to see the homogeny broken up

Fractals are expensive and corsair does make p good cases

>mostly for gaming
Get i3 then. Your overall build is ok, but don't expect much of it.

>>N E V E R go with evga psu
Are you retarded?

Care to explain why? The last two I've had have died on me

Get the i3 6100 with a Z170 mobo if you want OC potential later. Otherwise i3 6100 with B150 mobo

This is a retarded answer

Like the other poster said, i3 6100 + RX470 would be better. Also try to include an SSD

Drop cooler, get 4GB 470.
Get 240GB SSD

>Get a 1060 and a 6300/6400
Literally terrible advice

I'd go for an FX-6300 or 6350 if you're getting Windows 10. They're actually both pretty solid when games use all threads

As an FX6350 user, it's really not worth it at this point. Only way I'd build on AM3+ is with a used 83XX + mobo + RAM combo.

Some games still suck on FX CPUs, like Dishonored 2. There's really no reason to buy AM3+ considering an i3 6100 will get you similar perf and you have an upgrade path on a modern platform with DDR4

I sold my desktop before moving to the UK and now I want to build one.

I'd like to not spend a lot but I also want something decent, so the two options I was thinking about were either buying a second hand 4770k 16gb RAM gtx 660 (gonna replace GPU obviously) for 500 pounds, or wait for black friday in 11 days and make a new 6600k build.

How are the Black Friday offers here on the UK? are they worth it waiting/buying them instead of 2nd hand? The second hand market here is shit and almost nonexistant I don't know why so it doesn't leave me much room to chose.

The other option was waiting until January for a 7600k build, but I rather not wait so long, also I would end up spending way too much if I do that...

I also have an SSD and HHD so I wouldn't have to buy these if I build a new desktop.

Any thoughts?

Because EVGA makes good PSU's. EVGA B series is good for budget builds, G2 for medium and P2 for high-end.
Most of the internal parts come from Super Flower and SeaSonic anyways, capacitors on the G2/P2 are all jap and all are nicely build.
Why wouldn't you buy a EVGA PSU?

>drop cooler
I thought Intel CPU's had horrible coolers, if any

That 4770K rig sounds pretty good for the price. Depends on the other components and whether you like the case

Stock is fine. The only ones that don't come with coolers are the K variants.

Intel CPUs are low wattage and easy to cool

[spoiler]Imagine how I feel on an FX-4200[/spoiler]

>Asus ROG Striker 2 Formula
>Intel Q8200
>Cooler Master Centurion
>Cooler Master R80 water cooler
Should I just sell this stuff or get some cheap shit and make a loonix machine?

Upgrade to 83XX if your mobo supports it and you'll have a great machine

Up to you. loonix if you need another rig for some reason, otherwise just sell it to get rid of shit you don't need

Is it worth upgrading to gtx 1060 or r9 480 or my mobo/cpu will bottleneck them?

How is black Friday on Newegg? I want to buy things but have to wait for savings

Nope, you're good. At this point you might want to live with that 280x until the next GPUs come out

Yea thats what i thought, the new gpus should come in about year or 2 right?

pcpartpicker.com/list/VffTPs
How long will this build last me before I need to upgrade (besides HDD and SSD)

Probably 2H of 2017. AMD's Vega GPUs will have all the extra shit that the PS4 Pro got like that specialized upscaling technique. Kind of like the HD 7790 (released a few months after the PS4) got all the special stuff that the PS4 had, like the 8ACEs that were a change from GCN1.0 cards like the 7970/280x to the GCN1.1 cards like the 7790.

Personally I'd go for the 1080Ti for 1440p 144Hz. Hard to say about future hardware or engine support for high resolutions.. The PS4 Pro has some tricks up its sleeve, but it's a static design with a GPU far lower in power than a 1070. But in general I'd say that build will last about 3 - 4 years. A that point getting a new GPU will be very worth it for the rendering techniques / architecture and raw power

>pcpartpicker.com/list/VffTPs
Probably quite a while.
2-3 years, maybe more.

>That 4770K rig sounds pretty good for the price. Depends on the other components and whether you like the case
That's the thing, PSU for example is not listed, I hope is not something terrible that will burn my house down...

Depends on what you want from it. I have a 6 (will be 7 in 2017) year old PC (i7 870 + GTX460) and i see no reason to upgrade. I can run games like Skyrim, Total War, WoW, WoT, BF3, etc. on reasonable setting (mostly med-high) on a 1080p screen.
Your CPU should be fine more at least 4 years and your GPU for 2-3 years if you aim for high settings on 1080p. Concerning your overall build, i'd try to get some cheaper parts, see if you can find them and get a better mobo, but that's subjective.
You could get a R5 for that money and imho it's R5 >>> Enthoo Pro, also switch the NEX for a G2.

>time for upgrade
>have some legacy USB 2.0 devices
>get board with Intel USB controller because Intel is solid, right?
>plug in USB device, get bluescreen
>bluescreen in 2016
>google the problem
>only fix is to go back to Windows 7
Fuck you Intel, I hope you die from Zen.

Waiting to upgrade to Zen. Plus I have literally no income, so I can't upgrade to anything at all atm

en.yibada.com/articles/172786/20161111/amd-zen-amd-cpu-amd-x86-zen-amd-processor.htm

>if you aim for high settings on 1080p
He's getting a 1440p 144Hz display newbie

If you sell the 4200 and buy used the upgrade will only cost you about 70USD, and you'll have a really good CPU that will last you until the CPU market has settled down. You don't want to buy the first iteration of Zen, and Intel's response will take time fully materialize. They're already adding hyperthreading to at least one of their Pentiums and releasing an overclockable i3. Coffee Lake will have a consumer i7 that is six core with hyperthreading. Anyway you'll want to wait until all that settles down to get a new platform.

That 8350 (maybe not now, but at some point) is the smart choice especially for someone who needs to extremely careful with his money. They will be cheaper after the release of Zen, but not by much by then you will also get less for your 4200.

pcpartpicker.com/list/4s7NvV
Can someone help with my design? Trying to for a budget of $750 and make a gaming pc, but I exceeded it.

No they don't

>Personally I'd go for the 1080Ti for 1440p 144Hz
Should I get an EVGA GPU then? That way I could use the Step-Up program to get the 1080 Ti when it comes out.

Likely, but you have to make sure that you can go from a 1070 (you could start from a 1080) to a 1080Ti and that the 1080Ti actually releasing timeframe required by the program (3months?)

how's life in the future? has the world ended yet?

pcpartpicker.com/list/
PC will be for school and moderate 1080p or 1440p gaymens. I'll be running multiple VMs.
Do I need an i7 or will an i5 suffice? I'd prefer an nVidia GPU, is there a reason to consider an AMD one?

Yeah, getting a 1080Ti would be a stupid move, the rest of my PC would bottleneck it. So now I just have to decide between 1070 and 1080, and also which company to get it from.

An OC'd i5 does not bottleneck a 1080Ti at 1440p.

It's rumored to have the power of a Titan X Pascal, I think it may be a bit of a bottleneck.

no it won't idiot

Current components, want to buy new graphics card. I don't game that often but I want to be able to play modern games form time to time, what to buy?

The 8350 is a damn good CPU now that all threads are used, I'll give you that. Buddy of mine plays Witcher 3 with a heavily OC'd 8350 and SLI 980Ti's at 4k, and the game only uses around 30% of each core. Pretty fantastic, especially for a 3-4 year old chip.

I'll wait for Intel to retaliate, but I'm not waiting forever to upgrade. This chip was supposed to be a temporary thing, and it's bottlenecking me constantly

>it's bottlenecking me constantly
Exactly my point, m8. Just spend the 70 for an upgrade

If you have the money, 480 or 6GB 1060. Otherwise 470.

What's a good upgrade from a 980 Ti?

1070 or 1080

Isn't the 980 Ti the same as the 1070 though?

Nothing that currently out

No you retard

Yes

I'm buying a new PC, but a bit on the budget atm. Is it worth to get like Pentium cpu and some gtx1050 and standard RAM, but buy a good mobo, psu and case and just upgrade (with selling the old parts) as the time goes by?

Looking for upgrade advice. Is there any reason to upgrade my cpu right now or will it be fine for a while longer? I'm mainly looking to upgrade my gpu, maybe just pick up a 1070?

Your case is meme-er and those monitors are the exact same thing with extra red paint. Evga PSUs are fine.

This is some of the worst advice here

Ps4 has APUs, not discrete CPUs and gpus, and upscaled 1080p isn't "a trick up their sleeve" it's false advertisement

>been using Intel motherboards for 63 years
>not a single problem with USB support
>USB 2
>"legacy"

No it won't idiot
The Titan isn't impressive it can't even saturate PCIe 2.0

Thoughts on the Define C? I was going to get the R5 because of the fan controller but I don't really need 5" drive bays.

You don't know what bottleneck means do you?

It's basically upscaled 1440p or better, and it looks pretty good. It's going to get mimicked in the PC world to help with high res.

I never said they weren't APUs, but the graphics architecture of the PS4 shares most of its features with GCN1.1

I'd save up a little and get something one or two notches above that. Then you'll have something actually decent and you don't have to worry about swapping and the losses associated with buying and reselling.

Pentium --> i3 6100
2GB 1050 --> 4GB 470

Basically you're looking at
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/ZhnQ7P
or
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/V9hMpg
In the latter build you can get a comparable mobo for about 80-90USD, just make sure it has all the ports you want. Can also save some money on the case.

CPU is definitely fine. I'd wait on upgrading the graphics card too. At 1080p 60Hz a 1070 is overkill

>upscaled 1440p masquerading as 4k running at less than 30fps on medium to low settings is pretty good

It's actually mostly upscaled 1080p, 4K gets left for menus, but Sony says "the upscaling is more than just stretching the image"
And like user said, at 30fps, non-true 4K, a 1050ti could handle that

We'll see how it gets used. Devs haven't built any games from the early planning stages for the Pro

>a 1050ti could handle that
No it definitely could not.

need a case to fit this shit in

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4JMWf8

looking at tempered glass side panels should I go with the In Win 303 or NZXT s340 Elite? Any other good glass side panel cases?

Buy your gpu on jet and use all the codes also you can buy Mobo and CPU from microcenter and get $30 off

donald trump has no room to talk about ANYONES hair not a single person on this ENTIRE planet

Here's an ultra-4K benchmark
And that's true 4K also, PS4 can't even do this at 30fps

>people keep telling me to get the 1070 over the 1080
>every benchmark has the 1080 destroying it

That was the wrong benchmark, I'm having trouble finding the 4K 1050 ti benchmark I saw before, but basically with a few settings taken down (comparable to a ps4 I'm sure) it easily handles most games 4K at 30fps

Obviously the 1080 is more powerful...
The 1080 never has a $200 advantage over a 1070 though, that's the point.

Hows this for a budget build?

>409W

god dammit im not getting the 1070 i just wont do it i wont i already know im going to be disappointed in it and have sever buyers remorse it would basically be a sidegrade from my 780

And as someone who got a 1070, overclocked it easily to 2.05GHz (the 1080 is stock at 2.1GHz), and with the same 8GB of ram, I really doubt I'm losing out on $200 of gameplay performance, my 1070 holds up at 1440p and I'm not going to insist that every single game I own runs at 1440p/144Hz on completely maxed settings (even though many games do with my 1070)

Also $609