Terminal Emulators

What terminal emulator do you use? I've been using terminology for a while, and I'm looking to change. I have a good color scheme going, but I know this emulator has alot of extra features that I don't use at all, so I'm sacrificing some speed with essentially nothing to gain from it. I use the terminal for everything, since I code in vim, listen to music using cmus, etc...

Other urls found in this thread:

st.suckless.org/
thejh.net/misc/website-terminal-copy-paste)
thejh.net/misc/website-terminal-copy-paste
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Termite

The hacker terminal

Well, I eliminated one option already...

najs! Which one is this?

"Hacker Terminal"?

this is pretty sad.

How do you get pacman to show the updates in table form like that?

urxvt

nano /etc/pacman.conf
>install gentoo

urxvt

st.suckless.org/

cool-retro-term

yes

Uncomment VerbosePkgLists in /etc/pacman.conf

who is this

The guy?

no, the girl

not sure, he his quite handsome though

Konsole.

Come at me, bro.

Megan Rain, Mandy Muse or Uma Jolie. Dno wich one of them

>2016
>nano

Been using sakura for years with zero problems.

What does sakura do that gnome-terminal doesn't?

Has a better name

i honestly have no problem with uxterm

It's more lightweight IMO, but I don't really know.

Maybe try tty3..7? It's more light weight.

guake for quick little things
whichever terminal bundled with DE for anything else

xfterm4

i quite like dropdown terminals too but i'm more tilda

You think you're so funny, don't you?

If being sarcastic is considered fun these days then yes...

urxvt a.k.a. rxvt-unicode

really? why?

I'll allow it.

I see. This is my problem with terminal emulators other than whatever is default in your chosen DE: nobody can seem to give me legitimate reasons why they went to the trouble of installing them. There's this guy at my local LUG, typical Arch user who uses urxvt. Can't tell me why. Presumably he saw everybody using it in desktop threads and joined in?

Maybe urxvt is a bad example though--isn't it easier to rice? Some people find that important, I know.

lxterminal

Apples and oranges

Terminator

Context switching, customizations, more features.

Theirs reasons, but not particularly strong ones. I think i would care more if i was using a twm

The one:
xterm

iterm2

urxvt is mostly for babies who read some suckless.org rant about xterm being "harmful" and installed the first thing it recommended that was more usable than st. urxvt is a good program, and the "bloated" perl API makes it especially powerful, but that's not why most people on Sup Forums use it. Most people on Sup Forums would be fine with xterm, or even gnome-terminal. All they do is rice and run weechat in tmux.

And if you want to get really autistic and extend the line of reasoning that leads to urxvt being better than xterm, terminal emulators used for anything but emulating terminals for running old as shit software are harmful and we should all be using something like drawterm/rio instead of trying to make UIs in ncurses. If you use weechat in urxvt you're a bloated shitlord and should use irc in acme.

STFU idiot

what do your parents think about your anime addiction

I tried this one out, but it couldn't handle some of my vim plugins out of the box, so I have a pretty bad first impression of it.

enjoy your lack of unicode

That's a lie.

Just use a font that supports most unicode and a wide font for fallback.

Most urxvt users don't even do that. They set a rice font, a rice japanese font, and don't care when everything not covered by those fonts is a blurry mess.

Fuggin lel

>be urxvt/xterm cuck
>only have 256 colors
>engage in ricer faggotry by constantly tweaking .xresources

>be st master race
>full unicode
>16 million colors
>terminal discourages ricer faggotry but putting all options in config.h

>suckless shit
>having to recompile everything just for one change
pls

i do like dwm and dmenu though

>having to change things so often that this is a problem

found the ricer faggot

You can't switch windows in irssi with alt+numbers in xterm, you have to use alt+arrow keys, which is very annoying since irssi tells you in which window activity happened.

>be st cuck
>nothing works because the devs are too autismal to adhere to defacto standards
>no scrollback
>use all of tmux for something that takes 20 lines of code
>"muh bloat"

>irssi
>2011

I use different terminals for different things.
I use a dropdown terminal for cmus.
I use the konsole plugin in dolphin as I find not having a terminal in a file manager weird now.
That also made me use konsole for everything since having 2 configs is better than 3.
I would love to hear if there is something better though.
In my "regular" one, I only require color support, scroll by mousewheel and the ability to hide the other stuff I am not using.
Konsole currently takes somewhere near a second to load because my bashrc is heavily configured, but don't know if that would change with other terminal emulators.

Terminator

This

code is so little it compiles in seconds
find something else to bitch about

xfce4-terminal senpai

>smaller head

To be honest, because you obviously know what you are doing it suddenly becomes kinda cool that you have a 1970 look to your terminal.

Terminix

urxvt:
* no unlimited scrollback
* vunerable to pasting shit from clipboard (see thejh.net/misc/website-terminal-copy-paste)
* no 24bit color support

>thejh.net/misc/website-terminal-copy-paste
As dangerous as browsing the Internet. When the OS makers will understand that boxing must be always used by default.
We're in 2016 and we still can not run any .exe from the Internet, and they pretend to consider security seriously. They're just kids.

>needing to emulate a vector display
>not just buying one

>najs
Spotted the Polack

> boxing must be always used by default
It is should not. There are boxed OSes (Qubes, Android, Chrome OS, iOS), but people are still using not boxed OSes. Guess why?

You're stupid.

Gnome terminal.

No you.

There's literally nothing wrong with urxvt
It's simple fast and efficient
Actually there is one thing that could be better : support for powerline fonts/symbols
Otherwise 11/10 software

It supports any ttf font.

This and yakuake

The xfce terminal, do I have any reason to use anything else?

Termite.

Arch & i3-gaps

This is the only true answer.

if you don't use terminator i don't take you seriously

I use terminal cancer!

No, it doesn't support the power line symbols because it can't calculate the font width of the glyphs. And patched fonts only work at odd font sizes or they leave gaps. I need my 8 pt 7 is too small and 9 is huge

Tell me more about this, I'm writing my own terminal emulator and I want to check if it shows the same issues.

What is that bar widget that displays VPN info?

/thread

How can I help you

fuck off it looks cool

libvte is pretty shit honestly.

If you're on Linux and willing, you could try testing out my terminal.

The font rendering uses fontconfig tho, so you might have to dick around with that to achieve the same functionality wrt. font fallbacks.

This is the fontconfig I use for my terminal, then setting the font to "monospace 11px", you could adapt it to achieve the fallback behavior you have in urxvt.

monospace

Kochi Gothic

Baekmuk Gulim

Noto Sans

GohuFont

EmojiOne Color

Kochi Gothic

false

out of the box i3 config user. You can make it look a lot better using standard i3blocks and some tweaking. Each blocklet is a single line of code or a small bash/perl/c script.

Why is it shit?

Thank you, user.

The renderer is pretty slow compared to most terminals, and it forces you to use GTK when there is no need for such a thing to make a terminal.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't support font ligatures.

Xterm and TTY

Can you give it orange in black/amber colors?

I miss that kind of amber mono monitor so much. I always used to use those with DEC VT240 emulation.

That looks like Megan Rain.

gnome terminal is literally broken?

It is? How?

Yes, you can customize colors and effects.

TFW when it's not compiling for me.

Terminator

Triggered the suckless drone :^)

urxvt > st > mintty >>>>> xterm > *