Networking Equipment

Hello all. Lets discuss network equipment, and wireless adapters. I need to buy a wireless adapter for my desktop as I cannot use a wired connection. What are recommended models? PCIe is always better than USB right? Also is the multiple antennas a meme or actually useful?

Considering getting this: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704274

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133
newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=31|33-106-251^33-106-251,33-704-133^33-704-133
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is $10 cheaper but only 400Mbps down. Is is worth it? newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133

bump

What is a good wifi roof antenna?

get the $8 TP link USB dongle until you can hook up your Ethernet
Wifi on a desktop should always be a temporary thing. And if its always a temporary thing, you might as well get the cheap one

Depends if you have an ac router

I want a good experience even if it is just temporary

Just suck it up grab a drill sock a few holes on the walls and get the cable to your room.
It ain't rocket science.

Can I transform an Odroid into a wifi router? How do I get the antenna thingy?

Yeah I have one and its great. I bought it when they were giving away a free "big" antenna with buying one so I've got one big ass antenna and two little ones sticking out of the back of my PC.

I use the PC exclusively for gaming and I live upstairs right above our Xfinity router/modem and it works fantastic.

Also forgot to mention it seems to default to the 5ghz band? Since the modem is detecting my PC as a 5ghz device.

I wouldn't really know for sure since I didn't use the installation disc for the adapter.

This OP

Some of us are still living at home with mothers that don't want cable ports in the walls because it doesn't match the room aesthetics.

some people can't drill holes as a rent agreement or a dorm agreement.

then you're either 12 or out of a job

Or going to school and don't want to pay an outrageous amount of money per month to live in a shitty apartment with roommates.

i am in the same boat, but my dad happens to be a networker so he does the wired option. We're all men in my house so my mom cant say much, and shes away right now, I just bought two routers lol. I would just go with what OP posted in the picture, it's like what, $80 on amazon. Use your student prime while you still can

>literally trying to justify not being able to run cables because he lives at home

that's why you repair the wall before you move out.

Unfortunately it would cost a lot of money to have a new line installed to our house for setting up another router. So we decided to move the router closer to the center of the house, and just buy a nice wifi adapter. The router is only going to be like 15ft from my computer so I should be able to get a very strong signal. My connection maxes out at 120Mbps so getting a wifi adapter that has a max of 800+ Mbps should work fine, as if it were a wired connection.

We live in an old brick house, the walls aren't hollow. It's way easier to use a wireless connection, as I'll get the same speeds as if it were a wired connection.

>then you're either 12 or out of a job

They pay for my full time college and let me live with them for free. I'm not exactly in a position to let them have me drill holes through ceilings and walls.

before you couldnt run cables because the wall plates did not fit aesthetically, now you cant because the walls are literally brick and solid?

which is it?

You must be mistaking me for someone else, because I never claimed that drilling holes in the walls was ever an option.

also, a brick house doesn't mean that every single fucking wall is brick, that is not how it works.

Regardless, I don't want to drill my fucking walls. Back the fuck off will you? If I can use a wireless adapter and get the same speeds as a wired connection, I'll opt to go for that option.

That was me, I'm a different user. I live on the 2nd floor and there really isn't a way to get that cable down without it being seen.

Only buy Intel or Broadcom NICs.

What's wrong with Atheros?

newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=31|33-106-251^33-106-251,33-704-133^33-704-133

Hmm narrowed it down to these two

Hardware is ok, but software is kind of flaky. Realtek does basically no offloading, so don't bother with that.
Go with the Intel. It's really just a mini PCI-E card on an interposer, so you can upgrade it in the future.

So even though the router I'm using (ASUS RT-56U) isn't AC (only N) it should work fine?

Yea, should work fine.

Ok thanks. I think I've made my choice. I'm think I'll just attach the antenna to the wall behind my computer using the adhesive.

So I'm building a cheap desktop for a family member, who lives in a building with free wifi. What is the the lowest/highest I should go in terms of price for a wireless adapter? I know the connection generally is around 25 or so mbps on a laptop.
I guess I want to make sure I don't pick up a piece of crap.

I personally wouldn't spend more than $50

Hello! I have a dell inspiron N 7110.Placa network is Intel Centrino N 1030 I was an exchange with one mentioned by you. You think you encounter a problem? From what I documented myself, bios of dell has whitelist.Am router Asus RT-18U N 2.4 ghz, 600 Mbps.L I recently bought ~ 2 days and are curious if after you change this network card It can operate at full capacity router (600 Mbps) or 2.4ghz band functioaneaza only up to 300Mbps? Thank you in advance.

What's wrong with your English, my nig?

Hello, sorry for bad English. It is not my native language. I am from Romania.

2.GHz has reduced throughput, 300Mbps is probably the maximum link rate on that band.