C# vs JAVA

Can Sup Forums enlighten me on the plus and cons of the two languages? for instance:

1) which is better for job? (especially Europe)
2) which teaches you better programming habits?
3) which is more enjoyable to program in?
4) which is better to write Android games or apps in? (you can do that natively now with Xamarin and Unity right?)
5) does C# turn you into a Microshill robot?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YRfbenxk-Ic
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Java > c#

Java will get you more money

Just learn any one. If you're good with one you'll probably be good with the other

Like 10% more?
May I ask why you think that?

C#, .NET Core, ASP.NET Core, EF Core are all making YUGE strides in the race to be multi-platform. I don't understand the Java shills at all -- they are going to lose in the technology race.

Java programmer 6 years, C# programming 4 years. C# every single time.

This.

>Which is better for job?
Currently java

>Better programming habits
Neither

>More enjoyable
Neither

>Android games or apps
Java

>C# turn you into a microshill robot?
No, you're retarded if you marry your programming language

People asking these kind of questions either have no problems to solve or are procrastinating the """"learning'""" part, just pick up a book and start learning you faggot. It barely even matters as most concepts can be transferred in between languages

also, I've yet to find any UI development framework quite like WPF/XAML. It's fucking magical. MVVM makes a TON of sense, and I've been able to push it to its limits. Let's not forgot DI...

idk, I'm no Micro$oft shill. My work development machines are Macs. I develop cross platform (mainly Winblows) apps. I still think WPF is a fucking beaut.

Poo.init();

I work in a linux environment

>what is .NET Core

Java.

C#, but neither language should be your first language.

C#, but this is subjective.

4) which is better to write Android games or apps in? (you can do that natively now with Xamarin and Unity right?)
Java.

No.

its the same, u can copy javacode into c# and it will compile without error. consider to tell this at your next job interview

Oh. Cool. I might look into that. Although the c# syntax pisses me off.

English before trolling please

>neither language should be your first language.
This is such a stupid meme. JAVA is fine as a first language and you don't become more employable by wasting time with other languages for foundation.

Not really.

>import org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext;
>final ApplicationContext context = new ClassPathXmlApplicationContext(TestConstants.SPRING_XML);
>final BufferedOutputStream bos = new BufferedOutputStream(baos);
>JAVA is fine as a first language

Don't focus on languages focus on algorithms, and problem solving. Pick a language that suits you then the rest are easy to learn from that.

>Using an irrelevant example

>public static void main(String[] args) {

C++

>fuck around with C and Python for months
>still unemployable

vs.

>learn Java off the bat with the verbosity
>get a job

Oh, I see that the goalposts are now over there.

how I feel when using Java
try(BufferedReader fins = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(new File(arg)))) {

AbstractSingletonProxyFactoryBean()

There's nothing complicated about that. If you can't wrap your mind around basic concepts, you shouldn't be programming in the first place.

>moving goalpost meme
I literally said learning something else was a waste to "become more employable."

I know we're all supposedly NEETs here, but if someone actually wants a job they're better off just going into the mud face-first.

There is no argument that Java is one of the best languages to learn, if you want to be more employable. My point was clear: Java should not be your first language.

final Button button = (Button) findViewById(R.id.button_id);

I hope I was joking but this is official documentation on Google.

I actually worked as a professional in C# and then later in Java at a major company you definitely have heard of.

I don't know. This really depends on location.
Neither really. I suppose Java may have more obvious conventions but neither langauges imposes these things on you
C# may be the comfiest programming language of all time
C#
Yes, but enjoy the $$$ you will be making as a microshill

C# is actually an amazing language. It falls short as a full deployment solution for web stuff, as you are pretty much locked into microsofts stuff (ASP.NET or MVC)

ASP.NET MVC is amazing for like 95% of things, but it does not fit the mold for every project. But if your project does fit the mold, it makes life easy. Waaaaay better than Java in this case.

Java is very flexible, very robust, and has a very large community around it and tons of librarys and frameworks. It's not quite as streamlined as C#, but what you get for that is more flexibilty and freedom.

Quit wasting time on little kid languages. At least try C/C++ you stupid cuck.

Java, C, and C++ all have very different uses.
Claiming one is "better" is absurd.

WPF is fucking awesome, but it's verbose as hell.
I wish I could use some kind of template engine for it. S-expressions for example.

>tfw about to start C# first job as a junior
>employer trying to figure out where to put me, front or back end
>I'm indifferent and can probably do both

Any suggestions guys? I want the easiest ride possible.

LINQ is love is life

// does something but I forgot
MyDict.Keys().SelectAll().Where(x => x.value == 1).Aggregate().ToList().Count();

>learning a monstrous fucking framework before learning even the basics of the language

okay user

Doesn't matter. They are both very similar and learning one is very easy if you already know the other.

There is no way to do real C# development without Visual Studio. Microsoft stated many times that they want to make developers keep using Windows.

VS will also be on OSX

There is no good, cross-platform C# IDE.

That's why things like Spring Boot were made.

>a shitty middle ground between Java and C
nah

I am inclined to believe that C# is better, overall, but you can't make Minecraft mods with it.

>proprietary Java that only works well on wangblows

>1) which is better for job? (especially Europe)
Java has more jobs
>2) which teaches you better programming habits?
Hard to say, but I think C# is more enjoyable to learn, which facilitates patience for doing things the right way.
>3) which is more enjoyable to program in?
C# hands down.
>4) which is better to write Android games or apps in? (you can do that natively now with Xamarin and Unity right?)
Xamarin is GOAT, really easy to work with, especially if you use Azure services for backend.
>5) does C# turn you into a Microshill robot?
No. DevDiv is the one good team a Microsoft that actually knows what they're doing, and everything is being open-sourced and cross-platform.

Back end is an easier life with C#.

C# makes data integration and transformations a breeze.

LINQ + inline functions + fucking tuples

makes me moist

Chan.GetBoard().Boards
.Select(x => x.BoardName)
.Select(x =>
{
(string board, Post post) latestPost() =>
(x, Chan.GetThreadPage(x, 1).Threads.First(y => !y.Posts.First().IsStickied).Posts.OrderByDescending(post => post.UnixTimestamp).First());

return latestPost();
})
.OrderByDescending(x => x.post.PostNumber)
.Select(x => $"{x.board.PadRight(5)}: {x.post.PostNumber.ToString().PadLeft(10)} --- {new string(x.post.Comment.FormatFourChanPost().Take(90).ToArray()).Replace(Environment.NewLine, " ") + "..."}")
.ForEach(WriteLine);

Learn both

Do you use linux? Forget about C# if you do. The dependency list is a mile long and most applications I've run eat a ridiculous amount of memory.

Not saying jvm is any better.

LINQ is a pile of garbage that may have the functionality there but the readability is shit.

Good luck working in a dev environment and seeing hacks of shitty unreadable LINQ statements throughout the code base that should never be there.

>Can Sup Forums enlighten me on the plus and cons of the two languages? for instance:
>1) which is better for job? (especially Europe)
About equal.

>2) which teaches you better programming habits?
Equal again.

>3) which is more enjoyable to program in?
Depends in what you want to make. I prefer Java overall but C# isn't bad.

>4) which is better to write Android games or apps in? (you can do that natively now with Xamarin and Unity right?)
I would still say Java although Xamarin is quite nice to target iOS also.

>5) does C# turn you into a Microshill robot?
Well you kinda have to use Windows and Visual Studio whereas Java means you can go with Linux and IntelliJ which is awesome imho

LINQ is much easier to read than alternative systems in other languages, like Java and Python.

It's more descriptive.

youtube.com/watch?v=YRfbenxk-Ic