KDE vs GNOME?

KDE vs GNOME?
Honestly I believe Cinnamon, MATE, and XFCE are better. However they are downstream and will be significantly delayed in Wayland support. Cinnamon will likely support it first, but it will be super delayed anyways because Clement Lefebvre will take forever. MATE and XFCE need to have stable gtk3 ports.
So KDE and GNOME are the main two since they are closer to upstream
GNOME
Pros:
>stable
>looks nice
>stable Wayland releases already
>industry standard
>less bloated than KDE (still pretty bloated though)
Cons:
>upstream forces systemd unless you patch it
>GTK+
Neutral:
>Red Hat
KDE:
Pros:
>Qt
>looks nice
>upstream doesn't care if you use systemd
Cons:
>Less stable
>upstream prefers phonon VLC, doesn't force you to use it though, can easily drop in gstreamer instead
>bloated
Neutral:
>Decent Wayland support, not really stable though yet

>inb4 Budgie/Deepin
>inb4 use a WM
Pls no meme

Honestly I'm willing to admit that GNOME and KDE are both not the greatest DE's in the market. But being higher upstream is a significant advantage, and I'm not sure between these two.

Currently on Arch so that means systemd is unavoidable. I am considering Gentoo or Source Mage though. Also for BSD I imagine KDE would undeniably be the only way to go because no systemd.
It's fine to use the patches for GNOME I guess, but I'm uneasy about it, as it is moving away from what upstream prefers and isn't supported by developers as much as pure upstream.
No.

Because I had more to add to my post.

Bump

Cancerous plague

Pantheon

>falling for the wayland meme
it brings zero benefits

you're the Mac Kevin

is that macos or some distro?

GNOME is shit. How can you even stand this HUGE icons? Cinnamon is great and stable, it has everything needed.

Go back to Sup Forums you anime fag

Gnome is cool because mutter is the best working X or wayland compositor right now. Also i like the switcher, as well ass dynamic workspaces, but thats about it. I prefer mousepad to the menu ,and i absolutely hate the default switcher that groups by default.
I liked KDE4 but i dont see any real improvement in KDE5 so i simply dont use it, seems to that gnome 3 got way ahead of kde5, considering how shitty it was at the first stable release.

i meant Whisker menu not mousepad.

Every time I use Gnome it just comes up lacking functionality and it just becomes a chore to use. Im currently using KDE and really the only problem I can think of off the top of my head is I cant properly "stream" video off of my NAS if I browse to it through dolphin. In Gnome/XFCE when I try to play a video file over the network (nautlius/caja/nemo) it will just start playing immediately but in KDE it has to copy the whole file into /tmp before playing it.

Ill probably just go back to XFCE.

for KDE to test/use i recommend :
>openSUSE
>Arch
>Xubuntu
for GNOME
>Fedora
>Debian

>tfw you like the DE but the start menu icon is a fucking rat

xfeces is the best DE and the one I had least problems with overall. Unfortunately there are also small things that bug the shit out of me that only happen with xfeces. Network manager applet is very unstable and often stops working completely or malfunctions. It is also very poorly implemented overall. I also had constant issues with backlight getting dim after suspending. And this is not distro specific as it happened on both Ubuntu and Arch.
I'm currently using Cinnamon, I don't like it very much but it works at least. Recent update fucked themes. Gnome3 is a joke and KDE is bloated.
Life is suffering.

hmmm

For me it's GNOME by far. I know it's not for everyone but GNOME 3 is the most polished DE available. The Online Accounts integration is great, you sign in and you get everything. Calendar notifications, emails, IMs, cloud storage, etc. The super button is worlds more useful than your typical alt-tab and you can just type in a few characters and get anything you're looking for from the same window if it's not already opened. Workspaces are less of a hassle to use. The clock being in the center of the top bar makes it easier to keep track of the time. You can do so much with the ton of extensions. The stack apps cover everything "a normie" would need and they look just as polished as the DE. GNOME is one of the few DEs I'm not embarrassed to show someone completely new to Linux.

The only cons I can think of IS the fact that you have to use extensions to get it to being a more traditional and usable DE. Having to go into the activities menu for literally everything was not a good design choice and the huge ass header bars and waste of space is noted by everyone.

Switched from KDE to GNome 3 and haven't looked back. KDE was just far too unstable for me.

Gnome with extensions makes for a fantastic DE, especially when you use Gnome classic to get the taskbar if that's what you prefer

Fluxbox any day.

You said everything I wanted to say except I don't mind having to use extensions to get it how I want. I like that I can change things so easily. If they slimmed down the menu bars I would be so fucking happy though. I get what you are saying about the activities view but how would you change things?

I enjoy cinnamon OP

Using openbox but i have it installed as well. works well.

I don't mind using the extensions either, I was looking at it from a out-of-the-box experience for someone that doesn't know anything about Linux or ricing. To be fair, the extensions are pretty easy to install and uninstall once you know how to get them, since the website is still much better than going through the extensions section in Software. I'm hoping they eventually add themes in there as well.

The menu bars issue can easily be fixed if you know what extensions to install.

>how would you change things?
The way it was before. Applications gets you to Applications. Not Activities, which takes you to a overview of your windows and then you have to click on an unmarked grid icon which brings you to an oversized app menu. Either that way or give an option to take the dock out of the overview.

What extensions do you use?

Window Buttons and Maximus Two to get rid of the header bars. MT is old so you'll need to turn off GNOME's extension version checking or edit the extension's metadata. There are newer Maximus extensions but this one works best, I think.

And Window Buttons lets you supply your own buttons if you put them in its extension folder. I just used a built-in one as a base and pulled the button images from Arc.

In my experience, Cinnamon isn't that stable. At least on Arch. It is still more stable than KDE, but I wouldn't say it is stable.
On Mint it is very stable though.

KDE has a superior suite of applications.
krunner is pretty sweet.
Are you really dumb enough to use a 2nd tier suite of applications because you don't like the kde taskbar or some equally trival shit?
Install kde then you're preferred window manager and log into that, if the kde interface isn't to you're taste.
Holy crap, do you silly twits really need something this simple explained to you.

OP here
A lot of people have been debating the aesthetics and functionality of KDE and GNOME as well as others.
I should emphasize that to a great deal I care about what is under the hood.
The fact that GNOME upstream forces systemd and KDE upstream prefers VLC (although not forced) is of great concern for me. As well as GTK+ vs Qt and the bloat of each DE.
People suggesting Cinnamon/XFCE/MATE: I think being closer to upstream is better, having active development is better. GNOME is more stable than all of these except for XFCE, and it is more well maintained than XFCE.

You got me. I don't care about "bloat" because I don't run a toaster and as it is now, migrating from systemd is unfortunately too much of a hassle. When last I tried Arch with OpenRC, I didn't have a stable experience at all.

>upstream forces systemd unless you patch it
>downside
fucking autists

>wanting DEs to be modular and portable is a bad thing
Lennart pls. I have nothing against systemd per say, but that doesn't mean that DE's should have extra bloat by not being modular.

File
᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ p
᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ i
᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ c
᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎k
᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ e
᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎᠎ r
᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ ᠎ Icons.