/hs/ - Home Server Thread

I think we should have a home server thread

Ask and answer useful questions so we all can have efficient Setups.
Lets start out with some obvious ones:

>What Hardware does the Job for a homeserver at what cost? (Actual rack server or simply an old Desktop/laptop)
>Quietness over Power for home use?
>Which OS should it run
>Which Protocol should be used? FTP or somethin more modern?
>What security meassures should be set in place for your private files
>...or any other valid question to discuss here

GO!

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/tv-box-c_11262/nt1_windows~10/
geekbuying.com/category/Windows-Mini-PCs-1655/
aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=&SearchText=picopsu)
blog.brianmoses.net/2016/02/diy-nas-2016-edition.html
ebay.com/itm/Fujitsu-MX130-S2-Micro-Server-1x-AMD-Opteron-3280-8-Core-1x-PSU-250W-RAID-/222287778709?hash=item33c1625395:g:428AAOSwImRYCI-n
scan.co.uk/products/asrock-j3710m-quad-core-intel-j3710-160-264ghz-cpu-ddr3-ddr3l-intel-hd-graphics-hdmi-dvi-d-usb-30-ma
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

plebtier home server reporting in. basically a raspi 3 and an external 3TB drive

- Old laptops are good for lightweight home servers (built in UPS)
- Those newish AMD AM1 boards are pretty cool ($50 for a cpu + mobo)

>Which Protocol should be used?
SFTP is pretty good.

Offline is the only way to be sure.

>Home Server
What kind of server are you talking about? File server, media server, email server?

Also just to clarify SFTP != FTPS.
SFTP is basically just SSH.

which is why it's nice. Since you want to set up and secure SSH access in the first place. And you get an encrypted FTP server free with it.

I thought it was difficult to run an email server at home because so many home ISPs block inbound port 25, and all the big mail providers assume any mail server in a residential IP range is spam malware

Can somebody recommend a program to host a FTP / SFTP Server on Ubuntu?

bump

>>What Hardware does the Job for a homeserver at what cost? (Actual rack server or simply an old Desktop/laptop)
1x Dell PowerEdge R610
>>Quietness over Power for home use?
Power
>>Which OS should it run
I wish I could install an Hypervisor but I need to buy more RAM.
>>Which Protocol should be used? FTP or somethin more modern?
Using NextCloud, probably not the best.
>>What security meassures should be set in place for your private files
I have none but I should encrypt the files.

I'm just starting in homeservers but it's really cool.

SFTP will just be whatever your existing sshd is (openssh)
normal ftp, i used to use proftpd but then uninstalled it when i didnt need legacy ftp support

You need a public relay to receive and forward mails for you, but all the in-between fun can happen in-house. Your home mailserver can then just have a tunnel to your relay which comes with a fixed ip and unfiltered smtp port.

if I have to buy a VPS either way though, it seems kind of silly to not just put the mail server on it.

I used various low power equipments, and they ran 2012 R2 Essentials with the online access thing. Recently though I just use USB sticks instead.

PS Windows Server 2012/2016 Essentials have a 64GB RAM limit, lower than Windows 10 Home edition. Not very suitable for 128GB RAM workstations/servers.

I have G3220/4 Gb with fan control panel(to lower the noise) in the kitchen. Ordinary midi-tower.
Works for me.

>plebtier home server reporting in. basically a raspi 3 and an external 3TB drive
Doesn't Rasp Pi 3 have a single shared bus for Ethernet and USB?

I don't have a server at all and the only thing I do on my home network is dump all the big ugly movies and music on my 200 dollar craigslist optiplex with 2TB hdd

What do I need to start doing to require an actual server? I like buying shit

For any actual serving like plex, dns, dhcp, web, tor relay node I use a Xen server pool of two old computers. An HP with a pentium dual core, and my old PC with an i5.
The majority of the VM's run Debian and Ubuntu Server. One runs Windows Server for remote admin stuff. For file services I use an old Netgear NAS.

Oh, about OS/Sharing Method/security.
Debian/Samba with password/standard dm-crypt+LUKS. The main system is not encrypted.
I mount encrypted disks, transmission folder and swap by hand.

You just described a home server, senpai.

Hi, /hsg/

I want to build a small file server that will also be an access point and bandwidth control. Do I need two ethernet NICs or can I get the significantly cheaper one and a gigabit switch?
What possibilities do I lose if I choose single ethernet with switch and wifi instead of dual NIC + wifi?

Gigabyte Brix GB-BACE-3160 for $120
or
Zotac ZBOX-CI323NANO-BE for $180
Basically extra 50 for additional gigabit.

Dunno either device.

Maybe USB or PCI on either of these is fast enough that you can run a decent gigabit NIC off them?

You can run this off a old smartphone or new android media box (USB attached single HDD).

The cheapest media boxes start at like $23 shipped from China. Won't run USB + Ethernet or WLAN at full speed though, but it should have low power consumption.

You can also run this off a x86_64 machine running Linux or maybe Windows.

How easy would it be for me to make a small power efficient home server that stores pretty much just media and can simply stream it to various computers/devices within the house? Must be able to stream to Windows, OSX, iPhones, etc, etc

4TB of storage should be enough

Is there any easy way of going about this? What kind of OS/software will it need and what's a cheap, power efficient list of hardware for this usecase?

both have only one M.2 or mini pcie occupied by wifi ac/bluetooth card.
USB 3.0 is present on both, so I guess I could upgrade later if I need 2nd NIC. I just don't know if it's a must for what I want to use it for.
I've used old atom based nettop for file server and other stuff, but not bandwidth control (so gateway, dhcp and rules for connected devices)
I need it to be online 24/7, and has to be x86 not arm, because some stuff I use isn't open source and no arm compiled versions are available.

Easy enough.

Usually you'd just build a lower-powered BSD or Linux x86_64 machine that runs samba and some DLNA server (and anything else you might want).

You can also just buy a chinese media PC box and do the the same with Android, though the USB ports and typical WLAN / Ethernet ports on the cheaper ones of these definitely won't give you maximum performance, it may be enough for sending files or streaming media anyhow.

>Usually you'd just build a lower-powered BSD or Linux x86_64 machine that runs samba and some DLNA server (and anything else you might want).
Can you elaborate a little bit on this for a shitcunt?

can you perhaps give an example what to look for at aliexpress?

>What Hardware does the Job for a homeserver at what cost? (Actual rack server or simply an old Desktop/laptop)
Anything really, I use a desktop with a Z97 mobo and E3-1241v3
quite and low power is best, since it will be running 24/7
>Which OS should it run
Linux ideally - more on this
sFTP for remote small files, NFS & Samba for local file access, first is for unix devices, second is for Windows devices
configure the firewall and don't use default ports!!!
>...or any other valid question to discuss here

From experience, wired gb ethernet is always easier than WLAN if you can use it.

If it's a possibility at all, I'd set your media box up to be used like that from the start.

>
> I need it to be online 24/7
No problem as such.

> and has to be x86 not arm, because some stuff I use isn't open source and no arm compiled versions are available
These also exist, for example here:
gearbest.com/tv-box-c_11262/nt1_windows~10/

geekbuying.com/category/Windows-Mini-PCs-1655/

Cheap as fuck and low power, but USB attached drives don't look as pretty as HDD in a nice fractal design enclosure, and they of course also don't perform at maximum speed. Still, it's less expensive than almost anything else that is quite effortless, and some even run Linux.

Home server is compensation for a small dick. You don't need a server at home.

yeah who on a technology board would ever have computers as a hobby

Yes, but also everything else.

I have 3 routers running LEDE with NFS shares between them and its flawless

Use SFTP for sure which is just your existing OpenSSH.

If you really want regular FTP for some reason, make sure you use FTPS (FTP over TLS, just like how HTTPS is HTTP over TLS). vsftpd is the standard one.

So what?

I still get 10MB/s upload on mine (maxing out the 100Mb/s ethernet interface) which is more than enough for streaming high-bitrate 1080p rips

I can't explain absolutely everything here, but on the hardware end, you can get mainboards that will take a low-power x86 CPU or already come with one (it's soldered on, not slotted).

If you need power efficiency, you want one of these that can run off a PicoPSU clone (aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=&SearchText=picopsu) or that have a 12-19V plug socket on board directly.

Obviously you also want enough ports (USB, SATA, whatever) on the mainboard. And some case for it all.

Then you usually just put Linux or BSD on a microSD / SD / USB stick or on a HDD so you can boot it.

If you have a NAS / home theater specific Linux/BSD distribution (freenas, openmediavault or one of dozen more such distros), you probably just need to do some clicks in some web interface or GUI to configure samba + a upnp server (for dlna),

Otherwise you just install either software with the distro's package manager and configure what paths it may access the normal way. No big deal either.

>From experience, wired gb ethernet is always easier than WLAN if you can use it.
I plan to use both ethernet and wifi, and I can't really throw out the bundled wifi card out and put ethernet NIC in there, because I would have to cut out a new hole for rj45 itself in this cute small case. That leaves me with suggested earlier expansion through usb port.
yeah I'm totally not allowed to share my media files with other people at home or TV. Running around with pendrives and plugging them everywhere, copypasting back and forth each time is so fun. Better host it on high performance pc, and never reboot it. Ever.
noted for future reference

PS: If you want to do a very powerful but also comparatively power-guzzling box, this might be an interesting read:
blog.brianmoses.net/2016/02/diy-nas-2016-edition.html

And the raspberry pi user base has published endless tutorials on how to build a raspb pi, which would arguably be the approach to get an even less powerful machine than I described (it won't outperform any current gen x86_64).

> I plan to use both ethernet and wifi
Simply delegating the WLAN to an access point somewhere in the GB ethernet network isn't an option?

raspi 3 with 1tb drive

Almost same here
Raspi2 2TB disk, getting 8MB/s max transfer speed.
Also using it as mediacenter with kodi

You should consider upgrading to something with Gigabit ethernet, there are multiple single-board computers that have it.

>Hardware
rPi 2
>Quietness
Passively cooled, solid state
The power is shit, guess the intel NUC or something which can also be passively cooled and is much faster would be ideal
>OS
Whatever, as long as it's server-tier, debian, centos, fedora, arch whatever. Not windows
>Protocol
FTPS. SMB is nice for windows and integrates quite okay with some linux DE's, and with media stuff like Kodi.
> Security
SSL, no unlimited logins on ftp, fail2ban. Limit things with little intrinsic security to local network.

I have a shit tier laptop and a lot of people actually told me that i should make a server.

But what are the benefits of running a home server ?

you control your data

I was planning on going for an actual NAS and keeping the pi as mediacenter. Then i would also have raid 1 in case of a failing hdd. Money is the main reason I haven't done this yet

The only reason i see to get myself a home server is my main PC could transfers data through my laptop.

Backups. Generally easy access to files and media between multiple devices.

Once you got a smartphone, laptop, desktop, htpc and more you probably eventually want easier data stockpiling, and not everyone wants all of their stuff on a low volume cloud that costs money to expand and that is slow as fuck in many instances.

Of course you can also run various other server daemons on this. If you need a database in the network, one of these might be the place to host it.

For what purpose?

>buy extra peripherals, case and SD card just to use the pi
>waste time setting pi up
>get subpar performance
>need to buy an external hdd or extra enclosure
>upgradability limited by ports and bandwidth
>backups are going to take forever

I have a 10 year old Dell desktop I got for free.

OS is Arch Linux (Mostly as an experiment)

My webserver is lighttpd for when I need to share files with people. I just edit the html for them to use, with simple password/username protection.

I use syncthing as my dropbox replacement to keep my movies, music, work, school stuff all up the same. Syncthing is godly, cause owncloud is shit (written in PHP too)

Other than that a free .tk domain

and I mostly use sshfs when I really need to use videos and stuff. sshfs is godly.

Who /TS140/ here?

Yes, it will choke on dicks if you need anything that requires highspeeds and lots of writing but it will work just fine if you are going to use it as htpc or just copy and move around the ocassional file.

Herpa derpa of course you'll need an external HDD, did you really expect to make a backup solution on an SD card?

Who cares if backups take awhile, just make them incremental.

>ITT consumergrade fags larping that they have servers because they run plex

>ancient pizza boxes
>old as shit dell
>some no name switch
at least you have a rack

Please calm down.

zyxel is most definitely not a no-name make

I've managed to get my hands on a 1921 and I've reset the password and factory reset it.

Are there any good pdfs or books worth torrenting on babby tier home network setup, for the time being I just want to get it up and running as a basic router. I have the dialer setup and need to do the rest, can't stand vids, much prefer to read.

(You) tried...

I wouldn't call it no name, but low name is accurate.

Is there a modern barebones mobo+cpu with 2 intel nics suitable for a pfsense box? Everything I have seen in that space has been a few generations behind.

Hi /hsg/

Old pic, because I can.

It depends on what you want to accomplish. What works for you may not work for me.

A balance between the two. Currently using a PE T620 and 2950 (because 8gb FBDIMM's and other stupid reasons)

>Which OS should it run
Whatever works for you. My HP MicroServer used to run OpenMediaVault. Home, dev, test, and production run Hyper-V and ESXi

Something that's not plain text.

Depends on how sensitive the files are. A flash drive in a drawer? A USB drive in a safe deposit box? A separate VM? Up to you.

How much load do you plan on generating?

The APU1D4 runs pfsense fine.

you don't need more than a Celeron to run a pfsense box in your home, and even that will be massively overpowered.

What if I want to do some filtering rules and run a vpn? I was under the impression that it took quite a bit of power to do so at any reasonable speed.

How wrong can I go buying machine like this for 65€?

ebay.com/itm/Fujitsu-MX130-S2-Micro-Server-1x-AMD-Opteron-3280-8-Core-1x-PSU-250W-RAID-/222287778709?hash=item33c1625395:g:428AAOSwImRYCI-n

I have spare SSD/HDDs + 16GB normal ddr3 to throw in.

Basically it would be:
>2.5ghz 8-core bulldozer 65w tdp
>16gb ram
>SATA II speed drives

Someone recommend me a dirt cheap used server mobo with ECC for my sample recording server. I wanna buy something off ebay because im poor. My current server is some sandybridge gaming mobo and its not the best thing for the job.

It basically runs ubuntu desktop because I need to access the GUI for of qjackrcd and a VST host which cuts up samples automatically upon silence detection.

I want to run ZFS because i also use it as a NAS for transmission, itunes backup and time machine backup.

You need to specify what you are looking for and what you need. We can be here all day linking stuff from ebay otherwise.

I have a couple of NAS boxes and a few pis I have been meaning to repurpose for servery stuff. that's about it... not much need for a big server setup.

>cheap
>not more than like 80 watts at idle
>single lan
>ECC(need about 8gb of ram)
>PCI slot for more sata ports with some cheap flashed SCSI card for JBOD for ZFS
>or a bunch of sata 3 ports
>video output i guess, i mostly access it via VNC though
>ATX form factor so i can use my spare fractal case.

why not give up and just buy new if you want low power consumption?

Gigabyte X150 and similar asrock C232 mobos support normal ddr4 ECC and are around 100$.

i'm finding the cost of a NAS a bit too much.

What if I get something like a my book live duo off ebay for ~100 and use that with my own HDDs

Just looking for a place to backup my computer(s) to and keep some data on as well.
Don't care right now about any kind of media streaming.

>this
Or if you don't NEED ecc
scan.co.uk/products/asrock-j3710m-quad-core-intel-j3710-160-264ghz-cpu-ddr3-ddr3l-intel-hd-graphics-hdmi-dvi-d-usb-30-ma

I don't need power consumption to be low. I pay like 8 cents per kw/h for power so the cost of buying new hardware to save 20 bucks a year on electric is asinine. I just dont want some dual CPU monstrosity that needs cooling and quadruples my power cost and cooling needs.

Im just looking for some clearance equipment off ebay that supports ECC. If i wanted to spend real money id just buy one of the asrock rack mobos.

What is the speed of your WAN connection? If you're doing QoS and filtering at gigabit speeds, you'll probably be well served with an i3. VPN won't get gigabit speeds with an i3, but should be damn good. 300Mbps or so.

Blinkenlights