Hey Sup Forumsentiles

Hey Sup Forumsentiles,

Is Signal safe as a messenger? Is there any good messenger for communication between androids and iOS?

Other urls found in this thread:

fdroid.eutopia.cz/
wiki.tox.chat/clients
eprint.iacr.org/2014/904
eprint.iacr.org/2016/1013
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Facebook messenger :3

The situation with Signal is weird. Yes, it is potentially the most secure chat client normal people can use. But...there's a problem. It uses Google Cloud Messaging. There was a fork called LibreSignal which used Websockets, but the dev didn't approve of it, since they were using the Signal name, and HIS servers. Also, F-Droid isn't the most secure thing out there, so the dev pulled it out of there, too.

The fork is still out there, and it's actively updated, by the way.

fdroid.eutopia.cz/

use Tox

Whatsapp has end to end encryption

I hear that whatsapp got backdoor'd

lmao fuck outta here user

>Can iOS users use this
yes
the biggest difference between all the other mainstream messengers (fb, whasapp, signal, telegram, wire, hangouts, skype, etc) and tox is, that it is really open source
you don't need a phone number to use
and there are a bunch of clients out there
wiki.tox.chat/clients

Just to point out this is mostly a purist position. Data is still encrypted, but without using cloud messaging it will drain battery faster and be overall more network intensive.

Been using Signal for few months and it's kinda shit. Messages sometimes take hours to go trough and the call quality is shit and cuts all the time.

Signal is probably the best phone text messenger you can get right now, period. It isn't perfect, but it is still the best. I would recommend it above anything else.

The original TextSecure protocol was reviewed in eprint.iacr.org/2014/904 and recently the Signal protocol proper has been reviewed in eprint.iacr.org/2016/1013 - it passed with flying colours.

It is closed source, but WhatsApp was not backdoored when I last looked at it; it uses the same strong end-to-end encryption as Signal, and Trevor Perrin's excellent Noise protocol framework for the client-server communication.

Unfortunately WhatsApp recently chose to share your phone number with their parent company, Facebook, for contact/friend discovery - which, depending on your threat model, may have effects ranging from "disquieting" to "potentially life-threateningly terrifying". As a result, I couldn't recommend it anymore.

If however you already use Facebook, you might as well. I certainly commend them for bringing strong encryption to billions of people.

Unfortunately - and this is the reason why it is used there - GCM is the only supported method to wakelock while under Doze mode under recent versions of Android, so it is the only way your device could be woken to retrieve messages reliably.

Any other 'push' layers need special exceptions, and are very much second-class citizens.

I've heard it may be possible to use it with microG, although microG isn't particularly stable.

My other criticisms include Moxie's stance on federation (probably due to having worked with Cyanogen before, not sure if they might change now the protocol's fully documented?), the RedPhone voice communication part not being up to quite the same standard, and the desktop client being a Chrome plugin.

Honestly this. Why use anything else?

Battery drain and network usage is not dramatically higher when not using GCM.
Conversations XMPP client for Android does works very well without any kind of middleware like GCM.
If you ask me, Moxie insistence and intransigence in using GCM at any cost is a fucking big red flag.

This, Conversations barely uses any battery in servers that support the proper XEPs.

Use ChatSecure

Do you guys think people would be interested in something like theerema but completely open source (both client and server) for a small fee (let's say 1 USD a year)?

Conversations looks good, but isn't available for iOS users.

Not to sound snarky, but when was the last time you checked? I've read other Sup Forumsuys saying that Whatsapp got backdoor'd a while after the ph3cl5 backdoor'd apple.

Also, how does Signal compare to Conversations or Tox?

What's even the point if you're going to use it on closed source probably backdoor'd hardware anyway?

>What's even the point of locking your doors if you live in the ghetto anyway

So you agree?

Well, I use an android with the OS it came on. What recommendations would you suggest to disallow any backdoor?

Wire.com

Is 'Wickr Me' any good. Everything is claimed to be decrypted on device and not stored on their servers.

Yet we still have to see an exploit that make use of the gsm component of the SOC.
The reality is that phones are safe as long as the os they are running is not backdoored.
Lea can get some information like an approximate position of the device at a given time but that's not something you can solve even with a completely open source device.

Flash cyanogenmod and then remove the few proprietary components (there is a project hosted on github, google it).

Is Libresignal still active?

>safe

Fuck, man. Are you trading military secrets or some shit?

NSA please leave.

>be me
>looking for German on Sup Forums to translate/cheat on exam for me
>everyone wants to do it via Whatsapp
Why aren't people willing to migrate?
>tfw forced to use proprietary software when free as in freedom software is available

Is it open source? If not, you have no guarantees that it actually works like they claim.

I hope you get caught and banned from ever graduating

Chill. I just cheat on German. I'll never need it besides Hitler memes.
Any Krauts here btw?
I need this to pass mid-term.
Hit me up at [email protected] for details.
I'll buy you 2$ game on Steam.

>needs google services
>goes through propitiatory server code

there are only mail with gpg and xmpp with gpg/otr safe for communication. xmpp is not suitable for mobile world.

Wtf user? Sides -> Orbit

Any updates on the matrix thing? It would be nice if GAps wasn't so intrusive desu, phones don't function well without it but it's a little unsettling.

I have no problem with the messaging but the call quality is wanting and they do drop occasionally. All in all a little rough around the edges but perfectly serviceable.

These threads about secure messaging and such are popping up more frequently, perhaps this board needs a security/privacy/cypher general?

Last year one user helped me.
Now on Sup Forums no one sees the thread, it just 404s in a sea of trap threads.

This. Use wire.
Open source.
Works on android, ios, windows, mac, linux.
Allows 1on1 text, images, audio calls, video calls, file transfer, etc
Allows group chat text, images, audio calls, file transfer
Many other features as well
This is tox replacement

From my understanding only the client is open-source, however they do have plans to open-source the server-end as well.

The best part of Wire is they even have a feature that normies love, timed messages. I have no idea why they love 'em, but I can imagine a few use-cases for them.

Only other Alternative is Tox, unless you want to go with vector.im however I don't think that has an android app, and is severely lacking in features compared to wire.

Go on Sup Forums you dork.

Wire seems to be the most complete solution right now.

Wire looks very attractive and definitely has all the features but I don't know if it has been reviewed yet and they haven't sussed out a monetization strategy so that could be an fuarkup in the future. Also there was some strange beef between the devs and Moxie Marlinspike.

What's not to love about timed messages? They're great, didn't think I'd use them but in all honesty they are really useful.

>they do have plans to open-source the server-end as well.

source?
if they want to make money it's not a good idea.

What are you hiding?