/pcbg/ - PC Building General: Housefire Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Significantly outdated "Good" and "Very Good" tiers
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qg97h
pcpartpicker.com/list/z4rjJV
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/LQkrm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/Jb4bwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/v4G97h
pcpartpicker.com/product/CCwqqs/asus-b150m-am2-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b150m-am2
amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ZJSZM4C/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479241708&sr=8-5&pi=SL75&keywords=thermal grizzly kryonaut
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wJHCD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/CmXDJV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is the 6600k and RX480 the build of the year?

In terms of value for money and longevity I'd say it offers more than the 1060 but next year we'll be getting a new amd cpu and probably cheapish ti versions of the nvidia cards

I guess so Satan.

Also open source drivers. I might snag a 480 gb for my 6600k system.

so I have some crappy rams and I'm building my dad a pc for browsing and watching movies and I wonder if it's better having 1 DDR2 800 of 2 GB installed or adding a ddr2 667 which will make the other work slower

??????????

pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qg97h
Is there anything I should change?

I want wicked sick FPS and I can't ditch muh IPS panels. Can I do two 1080p monitors, one IPS 60hz and one TN 144hz on one card and switch between them when games call for it? Never dual monitor'd before. Am I missing any obvious drawbacks or pitfalls? Am I stupid?

hey fags, answer, that's better 3GB RAM of RAM at 667 or 2 GB of RAM at 800?

Can someone recommend me quality fans and a full tower case?

I'm looking for good airflow and low noise fans. Not 100% on the case but I need it to be quite and fit lots of hard drives.

I have been out of the loop since early 2012 when built my current desktop. I currently have a Fractal Design Define R4, 2 dead Noctua Fans and 2 dying and sqeaky Cooler Master Excalibur fans that all need replacing.

I don't mind paying a small premium for better components.

NOCTUA
O
C
T
U
A

kill yourself you all-deserving child

pcpartpicker.com/list/z4rjJV
Lookin at building this, already have a case and a Platter HDD.

Trying to decide on a GPU, currently using a R9 380.

No plans to overclock.

Everyone was shilling them back in 2012 so I went with them. Worked hard for 4 years until they died on me recently.

You're saying they're still a good choice?

Stop making threads with absolutely retarded pictures, you autistic faggot.

Yeah they're still good.

Is it time to upgrade from an i7-3770k yet or will I be fine for a few more cycles if I upgrade my video card?

Suck my massive cock you triggered shitskin ass marauder

Yeah, that's a good build if you want to bother to OC. LGA1511 is a good socket considering you can upgrade to Kaby Lake

More RAM is better in that case

Get a VA panel

Nigga you good

>More RAM is better in that case
thx

I'd keep the 380 for a while if it's the 4GB version

Looks fine

Thanks, I figured as much. I know the recent intel CPUs have been prioritizing power efficiency more than anything.

Just wanted a second opinion.

>triggered
>triggered
>triggered
>triggered

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/LQkrm8
Rate this build please.

Upgrading my PC. My processor is pretty old, it's a Intel i5-2500 (Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.3Ghz, 6MB, 95W).

Looking for something to run Mass Effect Andromeda on like medium/high settings that will last for a while. 100-200$ price range. Also need a new motherboard to run it.

Purpose?

i7 3770K (can use your current mobo)
RX 470 if you need a new card

Gaming Basically. but this guy is rich as a motherfucker

Oh, if you don't have a Z mobo just get the locked i7

You better wait til you can pirate that shit
>PeeBee
It's trash, not like ME2 or 3 were any better though

I am not at all trying to be funny with this, can someone explain to a newfag why this is allowed? I know they are at different clock speeds and all, but why is a cpu from two years ago the same price as a 6th gen i5?

It's allowed because intel has no real competition.
There's a rule with intel and it is that they never lower prices on old products.

old one is faster

They aren't being made anymore probably. CPUs are stagnant because Intel hasn't had competition, so even the used market is expensive because no one needs to upgrade

Hi friendos

Ive currently got a shitty build: i3 , GTX650, 8Gb of ram. My friend says I dont need to bother upping the i3 and should just get a better card and double the RAM. Ive got like £300-£400 to spend (Uk), thoughts?

Hey gents,

My current setup is an i5 2500k, 8 gigs of ram (ddr3 i'm guessing) w/ a Radeon HD7850. The gpu died, is it worth keeping the rest of the setup or should i build a new one from scratch instead of replacing the gpu? I haven't exactly been following the trends on the desktop tech for like 3-4 years now and don't know if just replacing the gpu would cause bottlenecks etc.

Which i3?

Sry, 3240

I guess a new GPU will net you better fps gain for the money.

A new system would mean new CPU, ram and mobo.

Look into the RX 470.

Graphics card burned out a month ago, and I've been saving up to buy a new card on Black Friday.

I can't decide if I want to buy a 1070 or 1080. I've heard pretty bad things about the evga models as well, so I'll be picking up a MSI one for the first time.

The games I run aren't particularly intense, I play Dota, WoW, and Overwatch, and occasionally play the odd AAA game, but I want to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor sometime next year, so I'm looking to future proof my computer.

Honestly the 1080 seems like a no brainer, but it's out of my budget. I don't want to spend more than $550 USD, and I doubt the Black Friday discounts are going to be that good.

What do you guys think I should go with?

I'm currently using a 6600k in a b150 motherboard and 2400 mhz ram that is being clocked down to 2133 because of the chipset. I am considering purchasing a z170 motherboard for about $100 to allow overclocking of the CPU and the ram to clock up.
I know it's going to varry by the game but I'm thinking I'll see anywhere from a 5-10% increase in FPS. I'll also gain to ability to use a nvme drive as I'd like to buy a sm951 on ebay.

Do you guys believe this is worth it? It seems some games benefit none from overclocking the 6600k, some anywhere from 2-4%, and games like overwatch and wow up to 10%.

Guys, got a new monitor and GPR but with the black friday sales coming up, I'm thinking about burning some cash.

Would it be worth my while to go from a 3570K @4.2 GHz and 1833 DDR3 to a current-ish i5 and DDR4 ram?

Mostly for gayman and stuff. Got a 1070 and a 2K monitor.

How often are you unable to hit 60 fps in the games that you play? Try to find cpu scaling benchmarks for your games and extrapolate to your proposed upgrade.

for those games a 1070 will blow them away I'm sure

pcpartpicker.com/list/Jb4bwV
Trying to keep the build under $2k, in USA trying to get a gaming pc that will last at least 3 years, besides HDD/SSD

Trying to play at 1440p/144Hz, with games like Arma III, Dark Souls III, and Star Citizen.

8GB RAM is fine, CPU is probably fine. Just get an RX470, 480 or GTX 1060. Could probably upgrade your CPU to an i5 with your mobo's socket if you wanted to with that budget

Just get a new graphics card

Don't buy a high end graphics card until you buy a high end monitor. A 1060 will run all the games you listed at 1440p high FPS anyway

No I don't think it's worth it. Just live with what you have. If you aren't getting the performance you want the culprit is your graphics card

Nope

It's fine

Are a GTX 1060 and i5 6600 good picks for gaming?

If you have the money, ASUS made a new ROG SWIFT with 165Hz IPS panel for like $800. It's amazing, but very fucking pricy, also it's 2560x1440

i5 6500 or i5 6600K

Do you know any good motherboards that support them and DDR3?

What do you think of the gaming build I made for my brother? Any advices? Does it fit together?

Pretty neat, maybe get a 1060 or 1050Ti instead for GPU.

Maybe get CPU: i3-6100, Mobo: MSI B150M Mortar GPU: 1050Ti, and upgrade your RAM.

what do I get for spending more dosh on a motherboard?

I only need
>1151
>6+ sata ports
>1 pci-e x16
>1 pci-e x1 or compatible
>will not overclock

The Fury is a bad choice for 1080p. It's not worthwhile until you hit 4K

If you're getting a Z170 mobo, and cooler, and OC'd RAM, you should probably get the i5 6600K as well

The K CPUs are only for overclocking. In that case you need a Z170 mobo and you want 3000MHz DDR4.

If you get the i5 6500, get a B150 mobo and just make sure that it supports DDR3

These suggestions are pointless. He's clearly aiming for a better build than that

Not much. You're looking at a B150 or H110

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

pcpartpicker.com/list/v4G97h

pcpartpicker.com/product/CCwqqs/asus-b150m-am2-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b150m-am2

good value

>can i use two displays
yes
>drawbacks
no
>stupid
kinda

when you have two displays, you usually just run your vidya on one of them. i mean, you can run it on both, but that's more complicated process, default is single display.

>Z170
>non K CPU
>why PRO instead of EVO
>Scythe Mugen.. Not PCGH Edition
>R9 Fury
>1100 EUR
Way to waste money.

Is 3.9g a lot of thermal paste?

amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ZJSZM4C/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479241708&sr=8-5&pi=SL75&keywords=thermal grizzly kryonaut

What a lovely computer!

How is the MSI Z97 PC MATE?

thoughts?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wJHCD8

DDR3 SDRAM is just regular DDR3 but spelled out completely, right?

t. computer noob

It's fine, but the RX490 will be 1070 tier. The 1080Ti will be way faster.

You better have a fucking nice monitor

Pointless

Yes but why do you need thermal past anyway? Coolers usually come with a tube. If you're just looking to have a tube on hand it's fine

i have 1360x768 :33

jk

why does every website say the 490 will compete with the titan x?

I'm looking into getting a nice monitor along with a nice GPU. Wouldn't bother buying one without the other. (Probably going to cost more for monitor + GPU than the rest of the fucking system.)

No. It's Super Duper RAM.

Where can I download it?

downloadmoresuperduper.com

you dummy

>Pointless
In what way? i know i should get a B85 motherboard but i want those extra PCIe slots.

thx bud

Wanna upgrade my setup
Currently I have
i5 6500
H170 Gaming 3
8GB DDR4
GTX 1070
120 SSD
3 TB HDD
Corsair M65
Some poorfag logitech keyboard
Pair of B652 Air
24" 1080p Monitor

Options
1440p 144hz monitor
or
Upgrade keyboard, ssd, hdd, mic and headphones
or
A/V Receiver buy another pair of speakers a central channel and a sub
or
a l33t gaymur chair and a 1440p 60hz monitor

I'd like to only use like $1500 on the whole build, so over half of it going to just a monitor is too much for me.

But if I just run the vidya on one screen at a time? Like if I have both screens turned on all the time, but if I'm playing Counter Strike I only have it open on the 144hz panel, and if I'm playing something like The Witcher I only have it open on the IPS panel? Could I do that without taking a performance hit or needing to mess around with settings often?

Also for whatever reason the cheapest B85 and MSI Z97 PC Mate are the same price here in mexico.

>why does every website say the 490 will compete with the titan x?
Every website does not say that.

You're buying old tech. Unless you already have the CPU you'd be better off getting LGA 1151 (100 series mobo)

1440p Gsync monitor
240GB SSD

Not sure if this is the place to ask.
I need a new monitor, looking to spend about $200.
This means I can either get 1920x1080 with 120 or 144hz, or 2560x1440@60hz (no ultrawide memes).

What would the best value monitors be for each?

1070 will run all of those at 1440p 144hz, and it'll run AAA games at 1440p 60-144hz

Hey guys, doing two identical builds for my wife and I and I have a couple questions. They'll be used primarily for games and basic tasks.

Regarding RAM, how important is speed? I notice that one of the cheaper motherboards I saw has a category for "memory standard," which it lists as DDR4 2133. Does this mean that this board won't support DDR4 3000?

Secondly, I'm looking at an i5 6500 and a GTX 1060 (6GB). Will this setup effectively run most current games at 1080/60 with settings turned up?

I appreciate the advice. Feel a bit jetlaggged as I haven't done a build since 2010. Thanks.

The PG278q (the TN version of that same monitor) is $500 refurbished.
And I'm sure "refurbished" is just the gaymer children who bought it for a day then had their mom return it so it's basically new

It's a bad choice until you hit 4K, then it's still a bad choice

There was a graphic a while ago detailing the best PSUs. Right now I want to switch mine out, and I'm thinking of the EVGA supernova G2, 550W, full modular. Found it for $77. Is there a better option for a PSU? 80+ gold and full modular are the most important things I'm looking for.

Your wife? I've good some bad news for you, bub.

There's always better options for PSU
Sup Forums has a hardon for seasonic and you can find comparable PSUs from them for $80-ish

Why the fuck does EKWB take so long to process and ship? All I need is my fucking kit and I'm ready to assemble...

$50 used 1080p 60Hz

Any monitor without some kind of adaptive sync is a bad buy. There's HDR in the pipeline too

RAM speed isn't that important, but it's nice to get the boost if you have a Z170 mobo

i5 6500 + GTX 1060 is fine

Yup

Adaptive syncs are useless if you're getting the full max framerate anyways. And HDR will be an ultra expensive meme before it becomes commonplace. I saw an HDR tv and I wasn't impressed, maybe when better HDR mastering becomes big but for now it's just an unimpressive gimmick. One that is advertised as the future of displays but really is not a significant difference at all once you have a top-tier panel

>Adaptive syncs are useless if you're getting the full max framerate anyways.
Which you won't be on a 144Hz monitor unless you're playing LoL.

All games are about to be HDR.

Housefire edition eh?
Got an R9 280x about one slot from the bottom of my case, there's an intake fan pointed at it but I only have one exhaust near the CPU
How long til I burst into flames?

Hopefully not before the next line of graphics cards come out. By then it'll really be time to upgrade though

pcpartpicker.com/list/CmXDJV

Does this look good? I like the case and it's lights and shit.
Should I swap out the cpu cooler?
Not really interested in getting the latest titles on the market right now.

Way overkill
Can't overclock on a B150

Get a Z170 motherboard and faster MHz RAM if you EVER plan on overclocking
Get a non-K CPU and 2133mhz ram if not

I got a I5-4460 for cheap.
And honestly its way more that i will ever need since all i use my PC for is to browse Sup Forums, sadpanda and scan, clean, typesett and edit stuff.
But it was $30 more than a pentium in a tech store because pre-black friday deals so i said why not.
Got 16GB RAM before USD went up(Everything tech related went 10% up in price).

Other than a good IGPU i dont care about 1151 features.

All im missing is a motherbard but is cheaper to buy it trough internet, still not sure if i should get a low end Z97 or a high end for future proofing and extra PCIe slots.

>I7-6700K
>b150 motherboard

Get a good high end motherboard user.

Housefire you said?

There, I ordered that NH-U12S, like you guys advised. Hope it will go down to at least 70C.

There's no such thing as a "high-end motherboard", they're all just a chipset tacked onto some chinkshit PCB.
He needs a Z170 chipset. That's not "high end" or "low end" that's just the chipset needed to overclock skylake

But there is when you will overclock as far as im aware.

Just like GA-Z170XP-SLI would fall in the low end and GA-Z170X-UD5 would fall on the high end.

Gigabyte entirely falls in the low end
Features do not equal quality

>he fell for the ultra durable meme
Don't forget it's actually the gaming motherboards that are the highest end motherboards, you need to buy those ones

Z170 if I wanna be able to oc? So am I good with that cpu cooler?

I'm such a fucking noob sorry guys.

If you get a Z170 motherboard, it will be ready for overclocking. Not that skylake lets you fuck with voltages much anyways. Z170 only exists to overclock skylake CPUs. Maybe the non-z170 "low-end" as you would call it can't support high voltage but then again those are made to not overclock