Monitors

A few questions Sup Forumsoys:

1) Why is the 1440p Acer monitor $800 while the 4k Samsung monitor is only $370?

2) I just ordered a gtx 1060 6gb gpu. Do you think I need a 4k monitor if I probably won't be gaming in 4k?

3) Which Monitors do you recommend? Price/value

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B01BMES072/ref=pe_171560_215444170_em_1p_0_ti?th=1
amazon.com/VG248QE-1920x1080-DisplayPort-Ergonomic-Back-lit/dp/B00B2HH7G0?tag=logicaincrem-20
amazon.com/Acer-K272HUL-bmiidp-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00JB6HCIC
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4SR1WV1728
pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=384002160,256001440&sort=a8&p=1
amazon.com/dp/B00KO4518I
slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/236015
testufo.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_timing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>4k 60hz TN panel

>1440p 144hz IPS panel

That Samsung is a TN panel.
That Acer is an IPS.

That Samsung will violently explode.
That Acer will nonviolently explode when the warranty is up.

>shitty inbetween resolution that is hard to run at a decent framerate
>shitty inbetween resolution that is hard to run at a usable framerate

Good luck OP.

As for the price the Acer has the gaymen tax.

>this is what people on Sup Forums actually believe

>he actually bought a monitor in a shitty inbetween resolution

So, I should just stick with a high-end 1080p display? That's kind of what I was leaning towards after a few days of reading online. Is 4k just a ruse at this point that's not really necessary?

no. getting a 1080p monitor in 2016 is retarded

It depends what you want.

Elucidate for me then, sir. Should I get a low-price 4k display? I'm looking to spend around $500

I vehemently disagree. 1080P monitor and GTX 1070 is perfect right now! Max everything. Feels good!

Only reason you should be thinking of 4K is work stuff, Blu-Rays, and PS Pro/Xbox S/Scorpio.

4yrs from now 4K is going to be so cheap! Wait.

Get a 1440p IPS but don't fall for the 144hz meme which is what drives the price up. 1440p looks great with games, and the extra space is amazing for everyday computing. Having for example Discord, a web browser and IRC up on the screen tiled at all times is not an issue at all.

Don't listen to inbetween shitters, the 1440p gives you actual improved screen real estate while a 4k screen will require you to scale everything up - which can occasionally be an unpleasant experience. You end up with less or as much real estate than 1440p.

Thanks for this response.

>resolution over motion clarity
K, pleb.

Your 1060 can't even do most games in 1440p.

1080p on a 4K monitor looks just the same as 1080p on a 1080p monitor because there is no down sampling involved.

Op here. Looking at the difference between TN and IPS monitors

There are ips 4k monitors in your price-range.
Get them.

TN monitors are shit
they have higher refresh rates but that's it
only dumb Sup Forums fags buy them.

IPS has better colors and viewing angles

No, it'll look worse because there's space between the pixels

No, you're retarded and I think you should leave this board and go outside.

So, what's a really good IPS 1440p monitor out there? Price around 300€.

No one

There is one, I know it.

Are curved monitors a meme?

Anime is 720p
Enjoy your 1.5x scaling 1080cuck

He's right, 4K has much thinner interpolation, much less "screen door" than 1080p

check out Qnix monitors

The 4K is a standard TN while the Acer is one of those 144hz IPS ones.

>2016 not consider 2560x1080

>2016 not consider 2560x1440

>2016 not consider 2506x1280

>2016 not consider 3440x1440

>2016 not consider 2016x2016

best monitor under 200usd?? My 2007 monitor finally died out and I need some help

Any 1080p IPS should be around your budget. Just get a decent brand.

Op here again. Alright. After some guidance from the anons and a few hours of looking, the configuration I want will be ips, 1080p and height-adjustable. I'm a normie so I need something with audio on it as well, since some don't have it. Still unsure whether a 5-7 ms delay will be bad for me though -- maybe that aspect is negligible

Yeah, but they're nice looking, use them for the living room if you're into them.

Keep in mind scaling a 1080p game/video to 4K won't fuck up any pixels since its 200%

As for the price different, I would say that is mostly on the capacity/demand to manufacter each type of panel.
4K is the next logical standard after 1080p and that is where all the manufactering is and so the race to the bottom pushes prices down.
Meanwhile the 1440p is becoming more niche every passing day.

You can get 4K IPS monitors, but I don't believe any exist beyond 60hz right now

Second this

amazon.com/gp/product/B01BMES072/ref=pe_171560_215444170_em_1p_0_ti?th=1

how would i set this up with my tower?

looking to replace my current shit monitor

just wondering what connection memes ill need

While were on the subject of monitors

Is this worth it if your budget is around $250?

Oops,

Forget link
amazon.com/VG248QE-1920x1080-DisplayPort-Ergonomic-Back-lit/dp/B00B2HH7G0?tag=logicaincrem-20

>I'm a normie so I need something with audio on it as well
Built in monitor speakers are pretty much guaranteed to be ultra-crap. The $5 USB speakers you can buy are better.

amazon.com/Acer-K272HUL-bmiidp-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00JB6HCIC
I can get this of about 180 is it good

I've got one and love it to death. Yeah its 1080p, yeah its TN, but its a very solid monitor for how cheap it is. I remember going over to a friends house, seeing how smooth games looked at 144hz and knowing I needed to buy one and got the same model he had (the vg248qe) the next week.

Out of the box the colors are total shit, google search will come up with some good color settings.

takes up extremely valuable table space on my tiny table that is all I can fit in a tiny room that I all I can get

people are still considering buying 1440p monitors? it's almost 2017. it's been 4 and a half years since mainstream computers started offering higher pixel densities.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4SR1WV1728

Small speaker will fit under your screen. They are bad, but still better than the built-in stuff.

well thanks alot trip dude

But where are the 4K high Hz?

>He doesn't download bluray rips of his anime.
>He watches horriblesubs

there are tons of 4k 60Hz monitors. what are you looking for? 120Hz? 144? what for? gaming? grow up.

>stop playing games
>s-s-stop baiting and triggering meeee!!

>Doesn't appreciate higher refresh rates while navigating the OS

i spend most of my time typing and reading text. i honestly don't pay attention to (or maybe even enable) all these horse shit animations you seem to prize so highly that you'll suffer a lower density screen to keep it.

and you're creating this false dichotomy where 60Hz is suddenly shit for anything moving. the perceptual difference between 60 and 120 is WAY smaller than the perceptual difference between 30 and 60.

stop trying to rationalize your gaymen monitor. it looks childish

>y-yeah
>t-the human eye can only see 24fps anyway

that's not what i said, you hilariously stupid oaf. i said that the marginal perceptual difference between 60 and 120 is significantly lower than the difference between 30 and 60, and that you're creating a false dichotomy by making it out like 120Hz is necessary to see desktop animations as fluid.

4K at consumer friendly prices is quite new. Even IPS+1440p+144Hz has only been widely available in the last 2 years.

>making it out like 120Hz is necessary to see desktop animations as fluid
That is not what he said either, you hilariously stupid oaf.

also here. a study that compared 3, 7, 15, 30, and 60 frames per second and people's performance at those frame rates (with stacked resolutions). the slop approaches 0 as you reach 60. i'm not saying it hits 0 ever, but the slope from 30 to 60 is almost certainly more steep than the slope from 60 to 120 would be.

he made that claim earlier, that 120 is nice for seeing desktop animations. don't jump in late without reading the context.

>is necessary
>is nice
Nice backtracking. And I agree with the other guy: 120+ IS nice. Do you deny it?

i called it a weak rationalization for someone who wants to play video games. higher pixel density is much nicer than higher frame rates as long as we're talking about work that predicates on things like text (which i would think is most of Sup Forums, but maybe i'm wrong and you're all aspiring professional league of legends players)

the samsuck is probably tn panel.
don't do it.
don't get the acer either.
pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=384002160,256001440&sort=a8&p=1

also wait for nigger friday.

A cable?

Who would take quality over FPS

people who work for a living
so i guess like maybe 1% of Sup Forums

Is there still a hack to make Freesync monitors work with Nvidia cards? I don't want to pay the Goysync tax.
If not, what's the best cheap 144hz monitor?

Is there anything wrong with amazon.com/dp/B00KO4518I ?

>Implying people who work don't also use a home computer

1440 @ 27" has 110 dpi

whats the fucking point of going higher?

for sharper text.

how do people still not understand this?

I bought a 144Hz TN panel about 4 years ago to see what the hype was.
It was fantastic, no more ghosting, fluid actions
>But a completely washed out image that couldn't be calibrated any better than my IPS as the time, plus holy fucking shit the colour shift on corners
I sold it the next day, not joking.
Some people would rather have true, vibrant colours than throw everything away for FPS.

because the acer is g-sync and that adds $400, not sure why tho

Proprietary hardware/software.

that's what cleartype is for

stop using shit-butt-ass linux text rendering

A 27-inch and 24-inch LG 4K IPS freesync monitors are on sale on buydig for less than $400. Get one of these instead.

slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/236015

Windows font rendering looks like shit compared to Ubuntu's. Even without a hidpi screen.

I see monitor threads a lot now, so here.

1) every fucking number besides resolution and to a human physically visible properties is a goddamn lie
2) resolution is ideally between 80-120 dpi, unless you press your face up to a monitor you will need to scale to have any comfort using it if its any higher, wasting real estate you gain through a higher resolution and demands more of hardware to run
3) contrast is everything, it is THE ONLY aspect in modern monitors that are not el cheapo 50$ or less models that effects oh good the monitor looks.
4) 120/144hz in normal tasks is CLEARLY visible, I had a 60 and 144 hooked up next to each other, and its shocking how choppy 60 hz is even at moving a window around.
5) for gaming, free/g sync is king, on same 144hz it advertised down to 30 as a minimum, in reality it worked down to 18, possibly lower but we couldn't downclock the gpu further. even at 18, you would think the game felt like hell to play, it didn't, the responsive ness was clearly as good as when the monitor was going at 144hz, this is something you need to take my word for as you will never fully believe it till you feel it yourself.
6) the human eye is able to accurately distinguish objects at 300fps, and its thought the perceivable fps is just shy of 500 if you are not physically disabled
7) Having one the the best non pro ips displays, and a tn, I will tell you the brightness shift when not looking dead on is still there, the only difference between tn and ips is the color doesn't shift, it still kills contrast completely.

Contrast > 120/144 = free/g sync >>>>> tn/ips >>>>>>>>> resolution higher then sweet spot

In that order is the importance of each aspect.
if you have the choice between only high fps or sync, the decision comes down to what will you primarily do gaming goes sync everything else goes fps

Remember, READ REAL REVIEWS, not press releases

move your nose away from the screen, you will need to clean it less.

>Anime is 720p
My anime is not 720p

Plus I interpolate all my Chinese cartoons to 144hz desu. Takes an ass load of GPU power to analyze each frame and estimate where moving objects should be for the newly created in between frames but it's worth it.

Had someone before tell me a 3000:1 contrast was worse then his 1000:1 5k, and it took me a while to find a non press release review, it turned out his monitor was 800:1 at best, and the 5k one was 1200:1

REMEMBER EVERY NUMBER A COMPANY SAYS IS A BOLD FACED LIE

anime can be '1080p' on a blu ray all it wants, compare the 720 rip to the 1080 for almost any anime and it turns out its native 720 and they scaled it up for the 1080.

I don't know of a single async monitor that isn't 120hz at least, vast majority is 144hz now

>tfw flatpanels don't do budget monitor reviews anymore

their excellent reviews helped a lot when choosing my current one. I feel like I'm getting a lot out of it for a 5 year old TN panel.

a number of lower end panels have sync and cap out at 60hz, personally, I only game windowed and sync doesn't work that way so id go for higher refresh, but its still an extreme budget option.

personally, if you aren't going to stick 300-400$ into something you will use for a good 5+ years, why bother?

>the perceptual difference between 60 and 120 is WAY smaller than the perceptual difference between 30 and 60.

While you are right about 60Hz be fine for slow moving objects it's complete dogshit for anything going faster than a retard scrolling very slowly though text.

You don't have to be a fucking fighter jet pilot to see the difference between 60 and 120 testufo.com/

>i honestly don't pay attention to (or maybe even enable) all these horse shit animations you seem to prize so highly

Let me guess, you're so cool you don't even use a GUI right? Console or bust?

>difference between 60 and 120 is significantly lower than the difference between 30 and 60

Lets do the math on that one

120hz-60hz=60hz difference
60hz-30hz=30hz difference

I love how it's always people who say they don't own/have never used/have no use for a 120hz monitor shitting on it.

Upgrading from a 24 inch 1080p/60hz monitor, would it better to go for an ultrawide 2560x1080 or a 1440p normal aspect? I only have an 8gb rx 480 so 1440p/144hz isn't really an option and I don't need that high fps

What was the sample size of the test group, and when exactly in the 1980's was this test conducted?

144hz monitors have benefits at 60fps too

Don't even bother.
The test only goes to 60, which everyone would have been running, essentially, so 60 is the highest and thus 0.

Yes and no. Low GtG times have benefits at all FPS.

there will also be less jitter/tearing due to game/monitor desync

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_timing

I don't know you'd think they would have figured it out by now. 1080p is terrible for text at my preferred screen size. 1440p is adequate. With a larger screen I would go for 4K. I really don't want to go back to 60hz but I enjoy the fuck out of my 0.00005 point font sizes, which 4K accommodates very well.

120hz = 8.33ms
60hz = 16.67ms
30hz = 33.33ms

33.33 - 16.67 = 16.66
16.67 - 8.33 = 8.34

Numerical versus perceived.

Oh cleartype works great, just magically fucking makes more pixels for small text. Look how great it works, pic related.

>1) Why is the 1440p Acer monitor $800 while the 4k Samsung monitor is only $370?

Because the Acer monitor says gaming on it. Therefore dumb gamers will think it's better and therefore pay way more for it.

Why are your fonts so small?