So, are there any legit uses for this thing, or is it a meme?

So, are there any legit uses for this thing, or is it a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.amazon.com/alexa-skills-kit
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Put it inside a body pillow and train it to be a good waifu

Feeding the AI I guess

Got it for Christmas. It's a meme. Used it fee times and now just let it spy on us with no benefits.

this is actually not a bad idea

The only thing AI is good for

We keep ours in the kitchen. It's good for maintaining shopping lists, for playing music to go with dinner/studying, or for pairing with our phones/tablets to play music/podcasts. Also, I have an Audible sub, and "Alexa, read to me" causes it to resume reading your most recently-read book where you left off, regardless of which device you were previously listening on. It's pretty handy.

Also, if you have Hue bulbs or a Logitech Harmony Hub, it can interface with those too.

Pretend you have a friend.

This sounds so much like a paid shill but I don't know what to believe

.50 Shekels have been wired to your account.

I'm 90% sure I read an advert with those exact words.
In that situation, I imagine it's a great tool for making life a bit more convenient.
The only otherthing is if you're too fat to get off your ass to make dinner, so you yell at Alexa, like the abused housewaifu she is, to order it from the yellows in the shack down the road.
She can't run away, she's crippled. She can only comply or you'll end her pathetic existence.

speaking of the other botnet, how hard are firesticks to root/jailbreak?

get google home, it says oh shoot whaddup if you tell it here come dat boy

No, I'm not a shill. I actually do own one, and I actually do use it in those ways. My wife got it for me, for our anniversary. If an ad campaign has said the same things I just said, it's because Amazon understands how people actually want to use the thing.

>wife
>anniversary

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE GET OUUUUT

Kill yourself, shit stain.

How's the API for writing my own shit on the Alexa?

My home automation shit runs mostly my own custom shit sitting on a bunch of ESP8266s and I was thinking of adding voice control.

Maybe tell us what the fuck that is?

I've never done it, but I've heard you can write your own skills for the Echo. I think it costs an infinitesimally small amount of money per invocation to do (because it uses Amazon's servers), but it can be done. You may want to investigate further on your own.

Wow Jeff Bezzos himself came on here to post this

Why do people keep talking like this to me?

Fuck off underage

Reported for bullying

is it a mac pro

I use it for voice control of my house

if your 8266's accepts http requests, you can look into ha-bridge, which emulates a hue bridge. Then in ha-bridge you just create commands that invoke those http requests

meme and apple made it outdated weeks later with 'hey siri' voice commands. Even more useless since google was on the voice ai train for years

Speaking as someone who owns both an iPhone and an Echo, Siri is nowhere near as useful. In fact, no phone-based assistant achieves the same quality of interaction as the Echo does. This is because the Echo is plugged into the wall, which eliminates its need to wake from a low-power state between the moment it hears the wakeword and the moment it can accept commands. It's instantaneous, and that's awesome. You can say, "Alexa..." and then continue straight on into your command without waiting for feedback, and you'll never have to worry about whether it heard you well enough or not.

You have to build "skills" for it.

developer.amazon.com/alexa-skills-kit

I use it in my Kitchen as well. It's actually pretty good for setting timers. Also the shopping list thing, spotify, and telling me what the temp/weather is. Other than that it's pretty useless... not sure if it's worth $150 or whatever but it's still not bad.

Also it's pretty satisfying to berate and insult an AI that understands what you're saying.

Good spying device