BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD...

IRC -> #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News sites: dragonflydigest.com / undeadly.org
Docs: freebsd.org/handbook / openbsd.org/faq / netbsd.org/docs

Potential Linux switchers welcome. Ask questions, get answers, report shitposts.

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/almost-all-the-worlds-fastest-supercomputers-run-linux/
livecd-xfce.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My perception has been that BSD is dead outside of enteprise scenarios and the current home userbase consists of the most severe schizos and/or pedophiles.

/thread

same with leenux :^)

Why does Sup Forums hate BSD so much? What would cause a group of people to be so ass-blasted by an OS?

Also, FreeBSD or OpenBSD?

BSD reminds me of all the bad aspects of Linux back in the earlier days. There is also a horrible blanket of smugness and dishonesty that covers BSD's in general. I'm not blaming it's users, I think it comes from the developers. Theo should seriously consider suicide.

What were the bad aspects? I'm not really familiar with the history of linux. I was interested n trying FreeBSD because I heard is had great documentation and a really friendly community

The license.

Horrible/no drivers, very little software. Very little documentation.

There is very little rational reason to use BSD at home. It's like driving a backhoe to go get your groceries.

It's just pure concentrated autism from people who thought the Stallman memes were unironic.

You're pretty much the typical Linux fag who uses systemd and thinks he is a system admin.

FreeBSD is awesome for home use if you want to actually have control over your system. That is, as long as you have compatible hardware.

Low latency audio? Check
Perfect documentation? Check
Decent ACPI support? Check
nVidia graphics support? Check
Linux compatibility layer? Check
The most awesome TCP/IP stack available? Check
Cleanest most well thought out code for kernel? Check
Easy to make kernel modules? Check
Binaries are part of system code heirarchy? Check
Faster than anything else on the market? Fucking check
No systemd? Hell yes. Check

I love FreeBSD

>It's like driving a backhoe
And that backhoe is fueled only by the power of luck. BSD's are a total crapshoot.(Emphasis on crap.)

>Horrible/no drivers
Yeah, this may deter me. I heard the documentation was really great though- comparable to arch.

Most BSD criticism on Sup Forums is just complete bullshit created by assblasted autists.

One example is "NO ONE CARES ABOUT BSD xD" when companies like Microsoft are donating to them.

Microsoft releases software for Linux and contributes a shitload to the kernel.

>Faster than anything else on the market
You better look again.
zdnet.com/article/almost-all-the-worlds-fastest-supercomputers-run-linux/

>Low latency audio? Check
>Perfect documentation? Check
>Decent ACPI support? Check
>nVidia graphics support? Check
>Linux compatibility layer? Check
>The most awesome TCP/IP stack available? Check
>Cleanest most well thought out code for kernel? Check
>Easy to make kernel modules? Check
>Binaries are part of system code heirarchy? Check
>Faster than anything else on the market? Fucking check
Nice
>No systemd? Hell yes. Check
DROPPED

Microsoft would steal the tits off your grandmother, if they thought they would get something out of it. Microsoft involvement is certainly no badge of honor.

You guys are good at moving the goalposts.
>NO ONE CARES
>MS does
>THAT DOESN'T COUNT

>goalposts
Honest question. Does BSD even have goalposts yet? If so, what hardware do they support?

>changing the subject this hard
Fuck off already.

The whole line of Apple computers.

someone does care but do you think it does not matter why they care

This, also you forgot about fast small kernel which you can cutoff almost everything and still have fully functional system because 99% of driver available as module.

From a desktop user perspective, what advantages does a *BSD have compared to GNU/Linux distros like Ubuntu or Linux Mint?

Theo is a asshole at times, but he's the reason why SJWs stay with FreeBSD and haven't tried to take over OpenBSD yet.

How good is the linux compat?
I'm considering going to it if my gentoo installation ever fucks up

Not really. Use hardware your OS supports and you're good to go. Not exactly something one could call difficult.

lmfao

tell me the pros and cons

also, does any of your bsd distros have
>ghc
>xmonad
>nodm
in their repositories

Nothing, they're different tools really

>xmonad
yeah
>ghc
isn't it necessary for xmonad to function? so yeah its there
>nodm
don't think so, but seems like it would be trivial to compile, so trivial that it's a wonder that it's not a port yet

Why waste time setting up a BSD system. Linux works better out of the box. I'll keep using it.

funny, since openbsd works out of the box for me

This.
Not this.

I'm interested in learning unix and OS administration in general, so I think the documentation is a huge bonus.

>works ootb
That's a GhostBSD thing. Keep your NEETBSD to yourself

isn't it funny that one of the main complaints about BSD threads is that it's apparently 2 BSD users circlejerking when it's actually 2 shitposters circlejerking

Which *BSD is best for beginners? Which works best in virtualbox?

Get a Live CD from here:
livecd-xfce.sourceforge.net/
Works great out of the box.

>2012
bad idea

Any reliable benchmarks that show how fast BSD is compared to Linux?

This let's benchmark how fast skype runs in both systems.

>BSD reminds me of all the bad aspects of Linux back in the earlier days.
It's true. Trying to set up wifi and nvidia drivers under OpenBSD certainly reminded me of the dark days I spent wrestling with Linux 2.2 about 15 years ago. Though to be fair, if there had been drivers for my wi-fi chipset, I'm sure setting up wifi on OpenBSD 6.0 would have been a lot easier than setting up dial-up on Slackware 7.
>Theo should seriously consider suicide.
Well, he's about as nice as Linus "masturbating monkeys" Torvalds.

does anyone use Skype anymore?

>Trying to set up wifi and nvidia drivers under OpenBSD
>nvidia
should've done some research

People with friends

ITT: retards

i can bet you that he'll ask about steam or netflix next

How abut qBittorrent

Why would you skype your friends? wtf am I reading

I knew that it wasn't the best choice, but I didn't realize that what they actually meant was "hope you like vesa in 800x600".

i fucking knew it

get a life, faggot

Because I have friends

thai ladyboys don't count as friends

Your nonexistent anime friends don't count either

Can't it be upgraded?

you could but it would probably take very long and/or break since it's so old

You're in every BSD thread. What motivates you to spend your life like this?

What BSD is the best for someone with no friends?

that question could be extended to what unix/unix-like desu

OpenBSD

Where to get a Live CD with a DE of OpenBSD?

i doubt there's a lot of them out there

it's not like the thing is super complicated to get up and running in a VM though, especially with XFCE

you should try arch linux

or openbsd

FreeBSD = vulnerable by default and takes literally few months to fix some stuff.
Also pf is better on OpenBSD and OpenBSD is way faster patching serious bugs.

Fuck. I'll just keep using Debian.

which distro would be better for a beginner who wants to learn and tinker?

Is OpenBSD better to protect against hackers? I'd like to setup a torrent server.

I think OpenBSD gives you just enough. Comes with Xorg as an optional thing (although recommended) and various other tools like tmux and a lightweight emacs clone. Good man pages, too, you can pretty much build the entire system just by reading the "release" man page, all you need to know is how to use cvs.

NetBSD opinions?

BTW i'm posting from a GhostBSD system.

unfortunately dead

must be pretty good as a "set and forget" OS though since releases are pretty rare

>unfortunately dead
Is that a new thing with BSDs?

sounds pretty solid. i'll check it out

This. OpenBSD is much simpler, and follows a "secure by default" policy. Users are strongly discouraged from messing with the kernel, and kernel modules are not supported. Old/Unmaintained/Crufty/Bad code is actively deleted, both in ports and in base. Base itself is very feature-complete, coming with all the simple essentials (and some not so simple essentials), plus useful goodies like tmux, nc and mg. The only "disadvantages" compared to FreeBSD come from their smaller community (less ports), no linux compat layer (not a big deal unless you HAVE to run proprietary bloatware), no wine (that's a feature in my book, just take a look at their codebase if you disagree), refusal to sign NDAs (some drivers are lacking, notably nvidia graphics and some wifi drivers). Overall it's pretty good.

Oh, and as an example, the thing actually comes with a help command which launches the help man page, and I think OpenBSD is the only UNIX operating system I've seen that has anything like this.

Are we trying to trigger the FreeBSDfag?

>Are we trying to trigger the FreeBSDfag?
Well, FreeBSD does have some killer features for servers (jails, bhyve, ZFS). It's a solid tool. But for the hobbyist's desktop, OpenBSD is just better.

What about software selection? Compared to FreeBSD I mean.

Objectively, right now FreeBSD has 26800 ports while OpenBSD has 7706. Subjectively, I've never had an issue with lack of ports, either in BSD-land or in Linux-land, but I do have very simple needs (if it has mutt, lftp, mpv and firefox then I'm set), so YMMV. Particularly with regards to linux-only stuff like GNOME 3 and Wine, and proprietary stuff like adobe flash, adobe reader, oracle java, you might want to stick with FreeBSD.

Not as good. Definitely workable, but FreeBSD by and away gets the most attention.

That's not to say to not try it. OpenBSD is computers for people who used to love computers and have grown to hate computers. Everything is documented, the man pages are stellar, there's no surprises, and The Rat himself is a good dude to have in charge even if he is a crazy fucker. Since starting to use OpenBSD, I've spent less time working with computers and more time doing things I like.

I really like photography. What do you like to do?

>oracle java
but i thought i downloaded jdk1.8 on openbsd yesterday

>Are we trying to trigger the FreeBSDfag?
Does the FreeBSD autist even come here anymore sperging about muh jails and muh MAC?

I've been using the systems that I have to do programming, homework, stuff like that. Also I'd like webcam support.

he did like maybe 2 weeks ago

>Perfect documentation? Check
AHAHA HAHA HA HA HAH A HAHAHAH

AAAAAAAAA

HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AHAHAHAHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

GNU info fan detected

The best docs out of all the BSD's. Just because you can't use them doesn't mean that they're bad.

That's OpenJDK. The proprietary BSD version seems to be stuck on 1.7 indefinitely.

It lets you pretend u are l33t system admin living in the boring 90s

I installed FreeBSD in a VM yesterday and poked around a bit. It seems pretty good, not nearly as autistic as I expected. Is there another BSD I should try next(other than OpenBSD)? Is OpenIndiana any good?

>The best docs out of all the BSD's.

This is like being the world's tallest midget.
Nobody gives a shit.

Documentation means more than ream after ream after ream of technical data. It means providing answers to questions about issues that may arise for the user.

BSD documentation is like someone having an issue with their car and the manufacturer giving them a textbook about mechanical engineering and saying all the answers are there. Well, yeah that is technically true. But also fuck you.

which OS do you feel has the best documentation?

OpenIndiana isn't a BSD, it's an OpenSolaris derivative, which in turn derived from SVR4, unlike the BSDs, which forked off way before System V. But it's a solid system to play around still, just don't expect to do any real work on it. Hardware AND software support are both atrocious.

Windows XP, most likely. Pretty much every obscure usage scenario you can imagine has been encountered and discussed online with a resolution found in most cases. There's always a workaround.

As a developer there may be less organization for the documentation provided by Microsoft but the practical advice found online more than makes up for it.

Funnily enough, I'd say the opposite. MSDN is a very complete and well-defined resource, though a bit too verbose at times, but you can definitely develop on windows just with MSDN and nothing else. Meanwhile the POSIX docs are terse and full of undefined behavior and magic "it just works except when it doesn't" BS, it's literally impossible to do anything without stack overflow.

That's for development though. For the power user, you get a lot more usage docs from BSD or Linux than you do from Windows.

Oh, my mistake. I saw it listed somewhere as a BSD. I'll probably just avoid it then.

Okay I've decided to try a FreeBSD distro today.

I'm still new so bear with me please.

I have a spare laptop now. I want to vartualize windows and I want to dedicate that laptop's hardware for it.
Am I looking for a windows server? I want to use window through virtualbox by using remote desktop functionality. Is it even possible? How can I set this up?