Is machine learning a meme?

Is machine learning a meme?

YES

No. The people () who say otherwise are just too dumb to understand any of it.

Okay explain how it's not a meme.

I understand it. It has a lot of application but is memed way too hard for it's worth.

You are the only one claiming it is a meme, it's on YOU to explain why ML is a meme.

memed too hard != it is a meme
And there's nothing wrong with that anyway, it's at least time that AI research gets some love and attention. The stuff that we've done with it in recent years is pretty nice.

It's deeply embedded in almost all modern software. It's not going away anytime soon.

I think it's a meme because everyone's talking about it and every new startup talks about applying it to solve some new problem. Sounds too good to be true.

Yes

It's currently in the hype stage where node was a few years back. It will even out soon and become normalized.

Machine learning is the technology that will turn humans into memes

no

The English language is a meme for those too dumb to make powerful utility of it.
Bare this in mind when you consider whether any idea is bullshit to sell to unwitting kids and hipsters.

the only meme thing about it is the names, especially neural network. the algorithms are real enough, but are few levels removed from artificial intelligence and they have very little to do with anything resembling neurons or human brain structures

For now. AI is still in that very basic phase. Siri, Cortana, Google Assistant all are pretty much pre-programmed and very limited (Google Asisstant is the closest thing to "machine learning" as of now"). I think in 10-20 years it won't be a meme and we'll start to see AI similar to that of Jarvis from Iron man. But nothing like the robot from eagle eye or shit like that

Funny that you mention neuron structures. Could it be that hardware limits the progress of AI? Does the computer have to be redesigned from the ground up in order for AI to function properly?

Yes, people talk about it like it's AI 4th dimension shit, but it's just statistics

>it's on YOU to explain why ML is a meme.
You are on Sup Forums, newfag.
No such thing as burden of proof here. You are the contrarian, therefore you explain why it isn't a meme.
Alternatively i could recommend you reddit.

So far as i know part of it is being used to big data analysis. It's really good at finding patterns in the data.

This desu senpai. The only good thing about it being memed is that hopefully it'll spur a bit more research into the field, but as it is now, it's nowhere near as powerful as companies are making it out to be.

holy fucking autism

If you believe that human intelligence is at its core a matter of pattern recognition and computation, there's no reason the same methods couldn't be applied to modern architectures. Also, AI doesn't have to be anything resembling neural structures.

For an application where classification/regression accuracy is most important, then machine learning in some form is the best tool for the job. If comprehension is more important, then often simple linear models or decision trees will do instead.

those are a part of ml.

maybe you are confusing it with deep learning?