>100% Customizable
>Name isn't dumb
>One of the best package managers
>Fast
>Open source based
>Complete control over everything
>Free of normies
>Doesn't break as much as arch

So, tell me, why aren't you using Gentoo right now?

Because linux is for retards.

To compile shit is just too boring.

~amd64 mustard race reporting in.

>openBSD
>secure

Choose one

>secure as OpenBSD
>OpenBSD
Enjoy your FBI backdoors my man

Because I use Linux as a tool, not as a project to endlessly fuck with.

The compiler does it. It never gets bored.

>Enjoy your FBI backdoors my man

Why would you care if the FBI reads about your trivial life? I want a live-in NSA minder who pays rent and drives me to work. I work for the government anyway and I'm not a pedo so I don't need security.

Which of the bsd variants is touted as the most secure?

Free?

I've been using Gentoo for more than one year.

I have been using debian for over 5. Have thought for a while now that i would like to give gentoo a go.

OpenBSD is the most secure since they have pioneered most of the hardening features.

This is Sup Forums remember. :^)

Why the fuck do you think I give a hint of shit about FBI? I'm not even a burger, Keep your burger spyware to yourself

>This is Sup Forums remember. :^)

Yep. Thanks

This desu

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of shit with down syndrome.

That's what ur mum said last night

Another quality thread from the arse end of the internet

>Why are you not using Gentoo yet ?

Kevin made me use Solus instead.

Nice Kevin desktop out of Kevin. Kevin.

Solus > gentoo

>systemd
>ever

>>Rolling realease
I don't want that.

I also don't want to have to bother with USE flags. Stuff that is compiled in but unused wastes a bit of drive space, but I don't care about that, avoiding the trouble of thinking about it is worth more than a few kilobytes. Let the package maintainer worry about that, that's what he's there for.

Also "sane default setup" > "build it yourself from scratch"

t. Debian Stable

Even gentoo inventor doesn't use that trash os

Because the package manager is written in Python.

I used it for a few years but ended up switching to arch because it just works.

I don't feel like spending an entire day installing it

>work laptop

Imho even i use a macbook not because i want to, but because they give you a work laptop so if anything breaks they have support/get a replacement because byod is retarded

>free of normies
Does that mean the Gentoo community is full of as many faggots as Arch is?

The logo is abhorrent.

Jokes aside, just dualbooted derpian, someday I'll give it a try

Actually, that was no joke, the logo is so ugly that it alone makes me think if I really want to use it.

Still better than Antergos

I feel the same way about your mother

but I am user.

Does Funtoo count?

Yes

Then count me in.

not only that! its booring, time intense and my arms hurt from using that compiler crank.
also after 4 hours of compiling, i have no time for my family

Why not both?
>easiest cross-compiler setup
>compiling on your server
NSA tracks anything anyway
>killing based on metadata
thank god Sup Forums is one of the most patriotic/nationalist sites available and I don't live in Pakistan
Point in case
>memed hatred
So is rmlint and flower
Antetgos > muh we make our own repos manjaro
Keked

>Name isn't dumb
do you know what a gentoo is?

>Antergos > Manjaro
Totally. I love the distro, but their logo is still kinda shit.

But I am OP. I've been using Gentoo for 3 years, it really is amazing. I have an LXC with a simpler distro that I install random shit I'll only need a few times or large packages that I don't want to compile (like graphics software and libreoffice). I created aliases in my shell to ssh -Y into the LXC to run those programs.
It's really a great setup, I love it.
Once you trash one install trying to wrap your head around USE flags and how the dependency systems work (world file should not hold dependencies or you will never be able to depclean properly), it's really amazing.
The irc is great too. Plus it has a nice reputation. A lot of GNU/Linux veterans really respect it and its philosophy, so they take your concerns seriously and are usually willing to help. (With Arch everyone tells you that you're doing it wrong and to KISS and to fuck off because you're a skid)

plus hardened is GOAT and having an optimized and up-to-date build environment constantly makes programming a lot simpler

Because I use Mint. Boots in ~30 seconds, uses about 400 mb of RAM with cinnamon and nothing else running, I have all muh codecs and drivers and can add hardware anytime without having to go all Samuel L Jackson in Jurassic Park, it just works dot gif

I guarantee my baby distro computer is a dream to use compared to your glorified pocket calculator with no software

>uses about 400 mb of RAM with cinnamon and nothing else running
thats great next time I reboot I will remember to take a screenshot of X with nothing else running using 177mb of ram.

>no software
there are over 200,000 ebuilds in the ports tree.

But I already am running Gentoo, OP.
>As secure as OpenBSD
>One of the best package managers
I love emerge but it isn't secure at all. If you get MITM'd during an update you're done for.

>do you know what a gentoo is?
A penguin. Woah, that's so dumb, considering Linux's mascot is a penguin and all.

>Boots in ~30 seconds, uses about 400 mb of RAM with cinnamon and nothing else running
That's irrelevant. I boot in ~5 seconds (most of that because my BIOS is slow as fuck) and use ~80mb once X is running. Doesn't mean that my distro is great.
>I guarantee my baby distro computer is a dream to use compared to your glorified pocket calculator with no software
But Gentoo has more packages available than Mint, user.

I gave a try to the arch meme and after two days I still can't get pulseaudio to work

so no, I'm not going to waste my time again

>more software

yeah but you're against having software on your computer that's why you chose a minimal distro for no reason. Keep comparing X to Cinnamon, my computer is easy to use and looks nice

answer the hardware question. For instance, I just installed ardour and plugged in my USB Audio Interface and my computer knew what it was. No typing involved.

>pulseaudio
theres your problem user

I do need audio to work somehow

yeah, he complains because he was a fan of Snow Leopard. All this time and Gentoo users are the ultimate cucks. Not even the fuckign creator uses Gentoo.
Probably he just want to sue the computer and not be worried about compiling shit.

>yeah but you're against having software on your computer that's why you chose a minimal distro for no reason.
Wrong. Gentoo is not a "minimal distro". It's a configurable distro. You can choose to make it small or choose to install a fuckload of things (example: I currently have almost 500 packages installed on my machine, even though a base install only starts with ~200).

>I just installed ardour and plugged in my USB Audio Interface and my computer knew what it was
I can do the same here. I enabled most of my kernel modules. I don't like having to recompile my kernel and reboot everytime I want to plug a new device.

who else /xorg-server 1.19/ here?

I still don't understand the point of funtoo

package availability thing is kind of not true since anyone can compile anything from source on anything

Me neither. It uses git to sync the repos but apparently you can do that on gentoo as well.

B-but muh USE flags!

me either have you seen pentoo?

Because I don't want to spend an evening or longer working my way through a manual to install but just click next next finish in a wizard after an 8+ hour workday.

If Gentoo came with an installation wizard like that and an easy way to update I'd be fine with it I guess?
Tried it 10+ years ago and it was great back then, just a lot of work and time, which was fine when I was in school.

Pic related as it is what I'm using now.

Oh and I briefly tried Calculate Linux but it broke frequently and has a very small community.

because installing it is difficult and time-consuming. it takes longer to install than a user-friendly os

time-consuming yes but difficult no unless you consider reading difficult

Gentoo's original creator got fed up with other Gentoo developers so he decided to fork Gentoo. That's why they're pretty similar.

>apparently you can do that on gentoo as well.
Really? How? Last time I checked the official repos weren't available through git.

>installing it is difficult
Wrong. The installation guide is very straightforward.
>and time-consuming
You're right. But how often does one need to install his OS, though?

how do you supposed to read the tutorial to install it without a 2nd computer?

links dumb ass you would know if you read

Printing? Using a phone? An ereader? A tablet? Bringing your computer to a friend's or a library? Recording it aloud while recording yourself and using an mp3 player to play it? Pluging an ethernet cable into your ass and clenching your rectum hard enough to generate electrical impulsions that will simulate tcp packets sent on port 80 to gentoo's servers?

i tried installing it once. one of the commands wouldn't work after i installed the stage3 tarball

You probably forgot to symlink something inside the chroot.

But I am

>just found out it's pronounced JEN-too
I-I might have to go back to Arch after this...

>Really? How? Last time I checked the official repos weren't available through git.
[gentoo]
location = /usr/portage
sync-type = git
sync-uri = git://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
auto-sync = yes

its been around for a year or two now I think, so much quicker then rsync,

It's short for "Generation Two" meaning a new type of distribution

How did you pronounce it before you knew it was JEN-too

Pretty sure it's named after the gentoo penguins.

fpbp

GEN-too, as in "gain".

Ah, yes. I think I saw this repo when I was looking into it. I know it's stupid but I don't trust github with this. What you said made me believe that that the devs had done something like git.gentoo.org, just like they did for rsync.gentoo.org.

Softwares that I use are made for Windows and Apple because they can actually make money if everyone who buys a computer can use them; rather than if only everyone (12 people / 100000) who buys a computer, becomes interested enough to look up system customization, installs shady new operating systems that require command line management, is content with the buggy nature of too much freedom, buys them.

This is completely looking over the fact that if you are good enough with computers you can customize from Top to bottom rather than the other way around, from Windows to Linux etc. and it is better if you are not growing a beard trying to do something 2 mouse clicks would every day.

tl;dr: It is not worth it in any case. Good softwares work better on Windows. You are not a special snowflake. If you want to do it, do it. Otherwise stop shitposting these threads.

If you are thinking about going Linux from Windows: don't. I have tried.
Learn programming on Windows, earn money, forget why Linux even exists.

Apple and Windows are interchangeable with the little downside of Apple sucking cock (slowly) and not working with certain software (namely games).

>Why is Linux popular then?
Poor people buy poor hardware that need to be customized from bottom to top in order to function well. Linux lets you do that. Literally (yes) no other reason.

Just use ubuntu live cd and open terminal and furfor, it's that simple.

*furfox

>softwares
>softwares
This triggers the autist in me for some reason.

Why would I want something that breaks?

everything breaks

I don't use literal meme OSes.

I was bot aware of the large selection of games....... oh wait

>Installing gentoo for the first time
>Wait, I have to compile everything...
>Ok.
>Installation took 2 days because of shity internet and compile speeds
>Time to install a DE!
>Take to long, I quit.
>Back to debian

You thinking you understand autism triggers me more.

dont install a de then

You thinking you thinking you thinking you understand autism triggers me more shit head

I don't understand why people get Arch/Gentoo only to install a DE on top of it.

Already using Slackware. I've admittedly never used Gentoo, but since I already have a stable Slackware installation, why would I go through the hassle of switching to another system? I have no complaints.

This. The installation medium only needs to have kernel from this decade, chroot and be able to download and unpack few archives. Almost all livecds/usbs can do that, most however seem to prefer systemrescuecd as that is a handy tool to have on a usb stick after the install as well

There are many reasons why Slackware is Linux’s oldest living distribution. It does not try to emulate Windows, it tries to be as Unix-like as possible. It does not try
to cover up processes with fancy, point-and-click GUIs (Graphical User Interfaces). Instead, it puts users in control by letting them see exactly what’s going on. Its
development is not rushed to meet deadlines-each version comes out when it is ready. Slackware is for people who enjoy learning and tweaking their system to do exactly what they want. Slackware’s stability and simplicity are why people will continue to use it for years to come. Slackware currently enjoys a reputation as a solid server and a no-nonsense workstation. You can find Slackware desktops running nearly any window manager or desktop environment, or none at all. Slackware servers power businesses, acting in every capacity that a server can be used in. Slackware users are among the most satisfied Linux users.

pasta-slackware, pasta-satisfied, pasta-happy, pasta-reputation, pasta-GUI, pasta-control, pasta-windows

I run Gentoo on my servers

>>Doesn't break as much as arch
So it does break. That's why I'm not using it.

I use it but it's too long to install packages.

It took 1 week to set up things on my T60

>as secure as OpenBSD
>GNU
>secure
>Linux
>secure

because I want to be able to install/reinstall easily and quickly so I use Ubuntu. Also easier to get drives, easier package manager because I already know how to use apt, more support if something goes wrong so I don't have to read through a massive manual

also
>as much

How does this multilib crap work? Seems like every package is dragging in its own abi_x86_32 flag but I'm on a 64 bit system. What gives?

Gentoo testing could break on occasion, but in my experience hasn't. Gentoo stable, is extremely stable.
Only if you set a 32bit use flag, Are you sure your terminal colours aren't just making the output unreadable?